• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of Final Fantasy's 25th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

Aeana

Short update.

wPOGEl.jpg
THL7Il.jpg
VKHxXl.jpg
g06uOl.jpg

The next destination is Doga's place. When we enter, we're accosted by cuteness before Doga realizes we're not evildoers and calls off the attack dogs.

CXFabl.jpg
RljhMl.jpg

omg, Cutest shopkeepers ever. They sell some really great magic, which I can barely afford thanks to the earlier selling of stuff I did.

TlnLwl.jpg
u7InMl.jpg
o9qTul.jpg
7LKool.jpg

Next up is another forced mini part. The way I used to do this part is change my fighters into geomancers, and let them use !Terra to cast air blade for free, but since that costs over 40 CP if you haven't leveled it, I quit bothering and I just run from every battle in here now. There's no boss, so it doesn't really matter.

At the end of the place, Doga makes the Nautilus able to go under water, yippee.

bYuFjl.jpg
Tn3vNl.jpg
mUBRBl.jpg

S30Atl.jpg
q9Yt7l.jpg
HWtlcl.jpg

From there, I go to an optional dungeon, the underwater cave. There's some decent treasure in here, although I personally only go here to get the defender sword, and don't really care about much else. I went down to get the reflect mail from the chest, though, which is guarded by a death claw. He splits when you physically attack him, so you can either just use magic on him, or do like I do and use the black hole that's in the chest near him to kill him instantly.

While down here, I gained enough levels to get 2 charges of level 7 magic, so I went to buy a couple of level 7 spells from Doga's village, but forgot to take screenshots.

From here, there are a couple of sidequests I can do (like getting Odin), but since I won't be using any summons for any reason until I unlock sage in Eureka, I won't bother with that and will just buy it instead.

Jucksalbe

Banned
This is my final post about Mystic Quest, I finished it today.

First, some music I forgot to post in my last update:

- Chocobo Theme
- Battle 2 (plays while fighting against the Dark Lord (and in some other fights))

So let's get started right away with another boss fight:

OY0nT.png

This time I didn't really have a strategy. Maybe with magic (ice?) you could hit him from the side, but I barely leveled my magic. So I just went in and hit it as much as I could while healing myself.

8O5xT.png

I hate all of the snowmen puzzles in this game. Basically what you have to do is that you need to freeze enemies with ice magic which then become snowmen. You have to push these on special plates to activate certain switches. Often you don't realize until after you killed every enemy in the room. So you have to retreat several rooms back to make the enemies reappear and then carefully only kill the ones you don't need. Since you can only push, you then have to wait for the remaining enemies to move to a place from which you can reach the plate. In this special case you also have to be careful not to move the snowmen too far. This puzzles are so unnecessary frustrating.

SS88H.png

Next boss, another easy one. Only problem is that he will sometimes curl up and roll around the field. You can't him then and this phase will get increasingly longer as the fight goes on. At the end he will really try your patience.

EyKIe.png
qK5QI.png

Lich is back! The fight is pretty straightforward. Just take out your whip and kill him.

DgmLP.png

Milestone! I reached the maximum of 65535=2^16-1 gold pieces.

6TE96.png
xcU2P.jpg

Another familiar boss. You can actually stay in the entrance and still hit him. You will get hit there but not much and it's certainly better than crossing the sparks.

j5gtN.png

Next milestone: I reached level 50. As you can see I mostly ignored magic.

AuA3j.png

The final stretch: the entrance to the dime tower. This is the point of no return.

6B07X.png

Garuda's back. Easy fight, he practically can't hit you if you keep attacking from below. (I stole that FF3 Garuda from Aeana some posts before mine)

cUu7j.png

Left the Dime Tower and went up(!) the waterfall. Final dungeon ahead.

u8dXY.png
HcD84.png
LSkVr.png

Seems they went out of ideas here. The first two screenshots are actually two different boss fights. The third is a copy of the very first boss fight of the game.

W0NBb.png

And finally I receive the legendary sword Excalibur! After all the buildup they did for this sword, it was kind of lame to just receive it at some random place in the last dungeon.

OJ7Zg.png
jCjXm.png
YECSu.png

The three stages of the final boss fight. They're all pretty easy. The last one would have been quite hard, but you get the girl as company which means you can request healing anytime.

KzdBF.png
HkIlZ.png

And done. The girl becomes the new mana tree after I killed her mother. Quite the happy ending.

pRF84.png
4nmdc.png
1YZqP.png

M8G8J.png
FltB9.png
CalJA.png

The credits are your typical compilation of "meet all your friends again" scenes. It's still quite nice.

Now I have to think about what to play next. Aeana's posts make me want to try the Famicom version of FF3 (it's still sitting on my shelf unplayed), maybe I'll do that.

{Dark Schala's enormous amount of informative Mystic Quest Legend screens}

Thanks for your hard work. You put my meager assemblage of Mystic Quest Legend screens to shame.

Ketch

I know they remake the shit out of the FF games but reading through this thread really makes me want to play a HD remake on my PC... or any classic JRPG on my PC.

PS. Piracy is for losers.

Aeana

I know they remake the shit out of the FF games but reading through this thread really makes me want to play a HD remake on my PC... or any classic JRPG on my PC.

PS. Piracy is for losers.

Are you accusing people in here of piracy?

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
ibq2ZCFTug4ef8.jpg

We got our plane-boat and are free to check out all sorts of places but instead we come back to the Gold Saucer to borrow a Keystone, and finally get our date!

iEoXMgiLcsAjJ.jpg

The date didn't go so well. Aeris ended up decking Cloud cause he wants to slay the king. He really is messed up in the head!

ipiKldDBcvqfI.jpg

While heading back to the hotel we end up finding out Cait Sith is a traitorous Shinra spy. We then sail to the Temple of the Ancients... remember me not liking Corel Prison? Well I dislike this place even more. ;_;

ibivAHhwHQlLKT.jpg

Ya. This place makes my head hurt to. What also makes me hurt is repeatedly screwing up this ducking puzzle!

iODgznaoFFxG9.jpg

...yeah. Good luck with that buddy. Bye bye Cait Sith...

i3QGJE9TTSuU9.jpg

...hello Cait Sith No. 2. Please tone down the cheeriness. Cloud just gave the Black Materia to Sephiroth and then proceeded to beat Aeris. Speaking of whom, please. Please come back Aeris ;_;

ibyEGw8TzyCl1x.jpg

This is by far the place I most hate coming to ;_;! I could stop Cloud from harming her but...

iUP41qQUtjok9.jpg

...she was smiling to end. ;_;!!!!!!!!

ilOAfySQagjZf.jpg

Fuck you Sephiroth.

ibsId4tuDplMoC.jpg

Farewell~

Aeris's Theme: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIqKWLkm2-g

Lindsay said:
That's that. Disc 1 complete in 8 and a half hours on the nose. If you thought things were crazy before, what alls about to go down will make that first disc seem like a drop in a bucket.

Aeana

I did a lot and didn't feel like getting up to make a post, so I'll just post some summary screenshots.

pXcbel.jpg
cP3xll.jpg

Doga sent us to the Temple of Time so we could get the lute that would let us awaken Une.

6TFWQl.jpg
8Y6sKl.jpg

Upon awakening her, she tells us of the location of another airship, one that can cross mountains.

nlUoNl.jpg
s5F4Gl.jpg
RFMbGl.jpg

So we head to the ancient ruins and dig up the Invincible.

b2mkKl.jpg
V9jdKl.jpg
cJYWLl.jpg

Next we go to the cave of darkness, which sucks. It has enemies who divide if you attack them physically, unless you use a dark sword (magic knight). As this dungeon is quite long, I changed my two fighters to dark knights after buying equipment from Falgabard.

9bHNZl.jpg
gR9MSl.jpg
VR6Xll.jpg

This boss is not really anything special. He just has strong physical attacks. I'm a bit underleveled, so it wasn't a breeze, but it was doable.

KiYKgl.jpg
hWHkul.jpg
1qOcJl.jpg

Now that I have the last fang, I can break all of the seals that lead to the ancient's labyrinth. Once there, I head into the crystal room and Titan attacks.

J7Zw8l.jpg
XR8JHl.jpg

Titan in FF3 is not as dangerous as Titan in other FF games, because he doesn't cast quake. The only thing he does is cast a single-target flare spell that hits for quite a lot of damage (800-1100). I'm not sure if it's reflectable, but it doesn't really matter since if I wasted turns to find out, everybody would have died. I just hasted up my fighters, went bio-crazy with my black mage and tried to keep up with healing and reviving. Not really a big deal.

aQFXUl.jpg
L0y0rl.jpg
ZGogFl.jpg

So now I have the earth crystal jobs. In the Famicom version, that's only the priest, warlock and summoner, unlike the DS version which gives you those + sage and ninja. However, it's not so bad, since although ninja and sage are harder to get, they're much, much better in this version than they are in the DS version. I'll touch on that when I get them.

I had hoped to finish the game tonight, but that didn't happen. I'll just have to do it tomorrow or Friday. There isn't much left, though.

I think the thing I like about FF5's jobs over FF3 is that FF5 tries not to render any job completely obsolete by the end of the game. (Semi-obvious exception: Freelancer and Mime arguably render all other jobs obsolete, but you do at least have to master those jobs first.) FF3 pretty much has direct upgrade jobs (Monk->Black Belt, Fighter->Knight, Evoker->Summoner, etc.), somewhat reducing the viable choices for the end of the game. FF3 also has your class affect your HP growth, which I'm not really a fan of.

Ketch

Are you accusing people in here of piracy?

No, I'm looking for a classic styled JRPG to play on my PC. I searched Steam and GOG, only thing I could come up with was last remnant.

Jeez, guilty conscience much? The only reason I mentioned the fact that piracy was for losers is because the obvious answer to my conundrum is emulators, but I really don't want to go down that route. Leaving the thread now, thanks for the help.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
In celebration of FF's 25th anniversary... more specifically, FF7's 15th... I'm going to play through/read/watch all parts of the Compilation of FF7. Of course, I will chronicle my journey here :)

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
So, just had an interesting FF discussion. I mentioned that FFX had a supremely silly story/plotline/execution and I was told that was a very controversial opinion. Not that it matters a bunch, but am I wrong here?

jwhit28

I have played and beaten I, IV, VII, and IX. I just started playing IX again. Its my favorite and has the setting and characters I most like to revisit. After IX I think I'll play XII.

I'm gonna wait for a nice remake of VI and the HD version of X. Does anyone know if FFXHD will be the international version in English without the nasty PAL borders and framerate?

Aeana

No, I'm looking for a classic styled JRPG to play on my PC. I searched Steam and GOG, only thing I could come up with was last remnant.

Jeez, guilty conscience much? The only reason I mentioned the fact that piracy was for losers is because the obvious answer to my conundrum is emulators, but I really don't want to go down that route. Leaving the thread now, thanks for the help.
I was trying to figure out why you'd even mention it. If you own the game, emulating it isn't piracy.

B.K.

In celebration of FF's 25th anniversary... more specifically, FF7's 15th... I'm going to play through/read/watch all parts of the Compilation of FF7. Of course, I will chronicle my journey here :)

Why would you do that to yourself? :eek:

Jucksalbe

Banned
The only Final Fantasy games I played were Final Fantasy 7, 8, 10 and 13.

Have I missed out on anything?

Well, even though this is an obvious troll post: There are a lot of screenshots and descriptions of all of the earlier FF games in this thread. I'd wager this is a very good chance to learn about the series.

marcurius

I have saves in progress for 13, 12, 9, 7 and 4 PSP... I'm fairly close to the end in 13 and 12, so I'll try to finish those first, and I'll see if I can complete the others as well.

First up is 13, fired it up yesterday and played for a couple of hours. I shelved it about a year and a half back, so it took a little time to get back into the battle system. Managed to die twice, the first time was a bit embarassing as the enemies managed to own me in about 15 seconds and I didn't have any idea what was going on. I've pretty much figured out the fighting now, though I can't quite remember much about the whole upgrading system. I think I've upgraded a weapon of Lightning's a bit, and I can kinda recall spending a bunch of time with materials back before I quit, but I can't remember any specifics.

Either way, I'm currently at pulse and had to pick back up in the cave with the rolling Fal'cie that I can't remember the name of, about 35 hours in. I've been having a good time, I didn't shelve the game because I disliked it or anything like that. The battle system is really fun I think.

Sora_N

Guys, I didn't see this thread until now but I've been itching to play FFIV for years and I bought and backlogged the DS version years ago since the price went down enough at the time. Then I find out that there's a PSP 'complete' version. Is the DS one recommended still? I'm sort of on the fence about shelling out more money for another version right now since I've yet to pick up the FFI and FFII remakes on PSP too, the money could go to those ones instead.

Jucksalbe

Banned
The DS version of FFIV is very different from any of the other version (and even prefered by some). The PSP one does in no way make it obsolete. So I'd say go for FFI&II instead.

Ultratech

YQi1rl.jpg
9LPUxl.jpg
Q2kj8l.jpg

This fight is notorious for being absolutely ridiculous. Every turn, Garuda will cast thunder, which will do about 450-500 damage per person. The only way to get through this battle at a reasonable level is to take the game's earlier not-so-subtle advice and change everyone to dragoons so you can use jump. I died twice, but on my third attempt, I managed to get all of my jumps off without being attacked, and won in three turns.

Oh god...I friggin' hated the Garuda fight.

First time I played, I figured I could brute-force the boss, not knowing it'd spam Lightning. Turns out that didn't work, and then I figured out you had to use Dragoons to win the fight.
Even then, that took a few tries, since it'd just decimate the party with 2-3 attacks.

The splitting enemies kinda freaked me out the first time I met them. I'd heard about them, but didn't know what the deal with them was exactly. Of course, it ended up not being that bad, since I had my Knight become a DK, and my Karateka could just Charge up and OHKO them.

The DS version of FFIV is very different from any of the other version (and even prefered by some). The PSP one does in no way make it obsolete. So I'd say go for FFI&II instead.

FFIV DS is a lot like SMB2 (the actual one) in that it plays off your former memories of the original. Stuff you thought would work in the original doesn't work quite the way you hope it does in the DS version. As such, it's a considerably harder game than the original.

stupei

The only Final Fantasy games I played were Final Fantasy 7, 8, 10 and 13.

Have I missed out on anything?

Final Fantasy 4 on the DS is absolutely worth playing. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise!

Guys, I didn't see this thread until now but I've been itching to play FFIV for years and I bought and backlogged the DS version years ago since the price went down enough at the time. Then I find out that there's a PSP 'complete' version. Is the DS one recommended still? I'm sort of on the fence about shelling out more money for another version right now since I've yet to pick up the FFI and FFII remakes on PSP too, the money could go to those ones instead.

The PSP version of FF4 is far prettier but the balance changes in the DS make it vastly superior in my opinion.

Yanksfan

I have played and beaten I, IV, VII, and IX. I just started playing IX again. Its my favorite and has the setting and characters I most like to revisit. After IX I think I'll play XII.

I'm gonna wait for a nice remake of VI and the HD version of X. Does anyone know if FFXHD will be the international version in English without the nasty PAL borders and framerate?

You have chosen excellent ones to beat thus far, and your decision to both replay IX and then move onto XII is also great.

I will say though that VI does not need a remake of any sort. It is nearly perfect as it is now. X was mediocre, though it may be worth playing with as a HD remake.

So, just had an interesting FF discussion. I mentioned that FFX had a supremely silly story/plotline/execution and I was told that was a very controversial opinion. Not that it matters a bunch, but am I wrong here?

I completely agree with you, however, there is no universal opinion on it. There are people that love it (esp those who played it as their first real FF or even JRPG) and there are those that thought it was trash. You are neither wrong or right, but your opinion is certainly validated by many others.

Final Fantasy 4 on the DS is absolutely worth playing. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise!

So true! I really went into the DS remake with a lot of trepidation and by the time I was finished, was amazed it was my favorite version of the game (having played it on several different systems).

Anteater

I suck at this stupid card game

I think using composite video cable got rid of this dithering I have on the ps2 for ffix, or maybe it's just so blurry I can't see it anymore, I'll keep playing like this for a bit!

BreakyBoy

o_O @_@ O_o
I made my way through the ice cave, and I beat Marilith in Mt. Gulg, but something happened and I have no screenshots between the ice cave and Marilith. This will make for a strange update soon.

Entropia

No One Remembers
Finally beat Final Fantasy IV last night, roughly 15 hours. I love that game so much but it seems so short after playing through it. God knows how many times I've beat it though.

Starting up FFV tonight.

I know this has probably been answered, but how would I go about playing FF1-5? I know VI and on are on PSN, but I would like to start with I and play through them. The only ones I've played are:

8(as a child, got to second disk)
X(beat)
X-2(beat)
XIII(beat)
XIII-2(currently playing).

Hmm would it be worth it to pick up a PSP for these? I think I saw them at gamestop for around $60....or I could wait and get a Vita whenever I finish up part of my backlog

StuBurns

Banned
Hmm would it be worth it to pick up a PSP for these? I think I saw them at gamestop for around $60....or I could wait and get a Vita whenever I finish up part of my backlog
It's a really cool version of 4, and 4 was an amazing game, but I'd say no, if you're getting a Vita, just get 4 for that. Maybe just play them on GBA if you have one.
Is 3 also on PSP? Don't have a DS.
3 is only on DS in English, and it's a remake.

StuBurns

Banned
So I can't play 1-4 on my PS3? If I can, what makes the PSP versions superior?
4 isn't on the PSN store for PS3, and 3 isn't on PS1 at all. There's always the option of playing them on NES/SNES emulators. I personally find them to be great for handheld play, also because the smaller screen doesn't hurt the visuals as much.

It'd be very nice if SE just clear up all this nonsense and get definitive versions of all the games and slap them on a bluray so it's accessible for people.

Ezalc

Playing through X right now for the first time. I'm enjoying the whole water theme they have here, the tropical setting is really nice. Tidus isn't as irritating as I thought he'd be, his inner monologues are surprisingly not terrible but he still has something that pisses me off. It's probably his half pants that look incredibly fucking stupid oh and his one earring makes him look like a giant tool. I like Wakka's chill style and his manner of speaking. Lulu is the hottest chick in this game but her belt skirt is still beyond moronic. Still waiting for Kihmari to talk, he seems cool and I thought he'd be strong in battle but he's been really underwhelming for me. Seymour looks stupid as shit. Auron is pretty cool so far. Yuna is incredibly boring and she comes off as trying too hard to ride Tidus' dick. That's about it so far, a little bit past where I lost the blitzball game to the Goers what a shitty convoluted mess of a sport.

Aeana

4 isn't on the PSN store for PS3, and 3 isn't on PS1 at all. There's always the option of playing them on NES/SNES emulators. I personally find them to be great for handheld play, also because the smaller screen doesn't hurt the visuals as much.

It'd be very nice if SE just clear up all this nonsense and get definitive versions of all the games and slap them on a bluray so it's accessible for people.

There will never be a single definitive version of FF4 now that the DS version exists. They are so different, and some people prefer one over the other.

StuBurns

Banned
There will never be a single definitive version of FF4 now that the DS version exists. They are so different, and some people prefer one over the other.
'Definitive' was the wrong word. I really mean true to the original release. I consider 4CC to be the definitive version really, but it's not what I'd want to see included in a hypothetical collection, if that makes sense.

While I cannot speak for the controls as I have not played it, the DS version of FF3 got ported to iOS. It's still a pretty good game, so if you have an iDevice you can give it a try there. (Downside: It's not cheap relative to other iOS games. It is cheap relative to the average DS game.)

Top Bottom