• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Inafune says launch version of Mighty No.9 'is better than nothing'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moofers

I haven't really been following this game much, but I'm watching somebody in Japan play this on twitch right now and it sure looks like Mega Man Maverick Hunter X on PSP/Vita and that game was awesome. Granted I haven't seen the whole game but I can't help but wonder if Kickstarter drama has overshadowed the game itself.

It totally looks like Mega Man. If you're wondering, the stage they are on is "Might No 4 - Seismic". Sure looks good to me! The boss fight here is some classic Mega Man stuff, IMO.

Oops, meant to post this in the OT

kubus

Reposting for new page:

Inafune did not say this. It was Ben Judd's own personal opinion, added right after he finished translating Inafune's comments on potential DLC. The article is wrong and the thread title and OP should be corrected.

Wereroku

The deliberate deception immediately prior to and during the Red Ash KS was the tipping point for me.

1. Retailers updated their store listings, suggesting that MN9 was going to be delayed.
2. Comcept specifically denied all rumours that it was being delayed, confirming that it was still on track to make it's previously stated release date.
3. They launched the Red Ash KS, and the first thing Inafune said on the pitch video was that they had completed development on MN9, on the 4th of March 2015.
4. The Red Ash KS was a failure and they cancelled it, instead partnering with a publisher (in what seemed like either a deal that was rushed to a reckless extent, or had been negotiated prior to the KS)
5. They immediately announced a delay for MN9 entirely in line with the initial retailer store listings.

Almost as if they lied about the status of MN9 in order to try and get money off people from an unrelated project. They knew no one would donate to the Red Ash KS if MN9 had just been delayed, so they lied about the delays. And now it is out, over 15 months later.

Isn't this true though? Comcept had completed their work on MN9 and had moved onto new projects. The continuing development was with Inti-Creates.

Servbot24

Banned
It's better than nothing, but it's not better than something else.

Other developers have made amazing games with fewer resources than Inafune has.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
If ReCore is successful it'll be because of Armature, not Inafune. It would be a dick move if Inafune took all the credit.
They aren't doing all the work. Comcept is working on it, too. Though they are reporting it at 12 hours long and MS is selling it for $40, so it may be one of those "cute" midrange games with a decent idea that doesn't take it very far. That is definitely how the demo at E3 make it seem.

Eumi

The whole thing about microtransactions just seems kind of... sad? Like I don't wanna say pathetic but I dunno. Just the idea of putting out a mediocre game and then trying to pull back some good will by saying "hey, at least we didn't add microtransactions!" seems kind of lame.

george_us

I infer from this statement that even Inafune considers MN9 development to be a debacle and he's happy to release a product at all. I'm sympathetic to this statement... it's not a callous FU to fans. It's an admission that he's happy to have shipped a finished product at all.

It's a debacle of his own making, perhaps. How do you fuck up a 2D sidescroller when that's one of the most deliverable, indie-friendly game genres of all? I think someone learned some hard lessons about scope creep.....
You'd think he would have learned that lesson already with 20+ years of game development under his belt.

TunaLover

Let's be real, it sucks to have a dream for years then spend years working on a chance at it only to have it completely fail in the end. Nobody wants that for themselves. Nobody wants that for others. With that in mind, one might want to feel bad for Inafune, but there are other factors here...

1) It was not just any old original game project. They pushed the Mega Man likeness hard. They set this up as the great justice for all the fans who longed for those games that got nixed by Capcom. They got a bunch of Mega Man people on the team and partnered with IntiCreates who did some awesome Mega Man games. It asked people to give their money to that dream then took the original idea it had and used it to make a style of play completely different.

2) It strongly downgraded even from what it seemed like it wanted to be and promised. You could maybe overlook the departure from Mega Man if it realized something else very well. The concept art was solid, they had fans voting on different things and lots of commentary on the personality of different characters. Years down the road it looks like a Dreamcast game with less-than-PS1 animation cutscenes. Less than mere flaws, it seems actually unrealized in many ways.

3) When it was clear shit was fucked up, they hid that from backers until they were forced to come out with it. They made promises and broke them. Then they did it again. They were more than just secretive, much with how they spoke to backers can be seen as outright dishonesty. You don't do that with people who funded you. It is a massive disrespect and earns you disrespect in return. Red Ash in the middle of it was also a huge misplay.

If you want to be gracious with that, you are free to do so, but I wouldn't say people are being unfair. If they were completely forthright and proactively open and honest, things would be different. I will say he did the right thing insofar as owning the faults of the game, saying in other messages that there is no excuse for their repeated failures, and not holding it against people if they insult him. Inafune should be the most humble man in the industry right now. He's going to have to display that while also delivering awesome games for a few years before many people to start respecting him again.

The people I feel bad for are the development team people who had no role at all in direction decisions that resulted in the state of the final product. I've definitely worked at places where offering your very best amounts to shit because of flawed systems and leadership decisions. It sucks.

Transparency. Like you're talking to current and possibly future investors. Because you are. Playtonic knows.
I didn't seek the project that closely, seems a fair sumary for this project. Thanks.

They aren't doing all the work. Comcept is working on it, too. Though they are reporting it at 12 hours long and MS is selling it for $40, so it may be one of those "cute" midrange games with a decent idea that doesn't take it very far. That is definitely how the demo at E3 make it seem.

These days I'd question just how much work Comcept puts into their games considering they like to work with other devs.

Krammy

If ReCore is successful it'll be because of Armature, not Inafune. It would be a dick move if Inafune took all the credit.

Well, he's been doing that for the past two decades so

KQi02u1.gif

Wow, this is kind of unbelievable. What a shitshow for people who put their money into this. This is the reason why I haven't touched Kickstarter at all since that initial rush when Double Fine posted theirs. I just can't trust that the creators are going to deliver.

Javelin

Neo Member
What's that quote again? "A delayed game is eventually good, but a rushed game is forever bad." Somehow, even with all the delays, this game still looks rushed. "Better than nothing" isn't a good target to aim for. If there really were a series of problems that led to this long and unfruitful development cycle Inafune needs to come out about it if he wants sequels.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
The deliberate deception immediately prior to and during the Red Ash KS was the tipping point for me.

1. Retailers updated their store listings, suggesting that MN9 was going to be delayed.
2. Comcept specifically denied all rumours that it was being delayed, confirming that it was still on track to make it's previously stated release date.
3. They launched the Red Ash KS, and the first thing Inafune said on the pitch video was that they had completed development on MN9, on the 4th of March 2015.
4. The Red Ash KS was a failure and they cancelled it, instead partnering with a publisher (in what seemed like either a deal that was rushed to a reckless extent, or had been negotiated prior to the KS)
5. They immediately announced a delay for MN9 entirely in line with the initial retailer store listings.

Almost as if they lied about the status of MN9 in order to try and get money off people from an unrelated project. They knew no one would donate to the Red Ash KS if MN9 had just been delayed, so they lied about the delays. And now it is out, over 15 months later.
Actually checking on the wiki for it now, apparently the fact they had publisher funding for Red Ash came out while they were still running the KS.

You just don't do that to people, man. That's why he needs to settle in for years of a humble pie diet.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Nice live release stream was announced only a few hours before it seems? Not sure because of timezones but certainly not even 24 hours in advance.
Dodgy as always. Still haven't received any codes. Sigh....

Inafune your communication on this project is garbage right to the end.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
don't worship false prophets
hard lesson learned

Basically. Folks only have themselves to blame for funding another Inafune joint. Double-so after he was in "charge" of Capcom and you can see how that turned out for them.

trikster40

I had such high hopes for this game. I'm still torn about picking it up regardless of the reviews, but where there's smoke, there's fire. Maybe when it's sub $20.

LewieP

Isn't this true though? Comcept had completed their work on MN9 and had moved onto new projects. The continuing development was with Inti-Creates.

Look at his exact words. "Mighty No. 9 development has drawn to a close"

That was not true.

Crocodile

Why was this article even written? I was watching the stream, the "quote" is a complete nothingburger in context. Just saying that with few (because Judd, who is the person who actually said this, is never satisfied) a good but flawed game (in their opinion) is better than no game - especially since some Kickstarters never deliver anything. There are real things to critique about this project (looks like Dice has a good list), can we not make ones up?

Where is that bitcheatingcrackers.jpg when you need it?

Considering MN9 borrowed heavily from the modern Mega Man X (and that one off EXE game on the Gamecube.) games I'm not surprised it turned out the way it did, but that bad?

Meh, I'm still going to give it a whirl next gaming lull period.

Reposting for new page:

Inafune did not say this. It was Ben Judd's own personal opinion, added right after he finished translating Inafune's comments on potential DLC. The article is wrong and the thread title and OP should be corrected.

Yup. I was listening to Inafune comments in Japanese and Ben Judd definitely added his opinions on top of the translation.

RMI

Banned
Reposting for new page:

ok. this seems less crazy.

Atuin

FLT and Shovel Night are the best video games to come out of Kickstarter right? Off the top of my head I can't think of others if there are...

Darkest Dungeon did an amazing job for 0.3M $. The most unusual thing is that pretty much every update has been released on time, and when some updates such as Town Events Update was delayed for a month it had a solid reason, the idea of couple of simple "-20% supply costs" discounts grew into dozens of occurrences with unique visual art, voice acting and a boss battle with new enemies, map and music and they released the Linux version simultaneously. Besides they were really communicative with the community, apologizing for the delay and explaining the reason for it. Oh, and they're adding Steam workshop integration despite it being the 0.35M $ milestone they didn't reach.

Darkest Dungeon is my personal example of "everything done right" in Kickstarter and Early Access games. I know it's quite fast to create new content with DD's simplistic 2D style, but they chose the perfect style for the budget.

people who invested in this deserve it ive always said he was a scammer playing victim when he left capcom. Capcom barely has good internal developers now in Japan because of his leadership there. Mighty no9 is what he wanted with megaman universe basically a western targetted megaman. Look at them both side by side.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Since it appears that this is a misunderstanding, there's nothing left to talk about here. Feel free to make another, more accurate thread about what was said.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom