• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Index (Atlus) entering into a restructuring bankruptcy; looking to transfer/sell

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyon

Banned
Persona 4 was released in 2008 on the PS2. It was a generation behind. Persona 5 is (or at least by most guesses) headed for PS3 level tech. A generation behind. Any argument that Nintendo shouldn't buy Atlus BECAUSE of Tech is on very weak ground. There are other reasons but this one doesn't exactly hold.

My tech argument has always been for 3DS and not really WiiU.

Sandfox

You mean how Monolith has written the safest plots in it's history under Nintendo, or how it took a fan campaign for Nintendo to even bring their best game out in the U.S.?

If Nintendo buys Atlus all their games will be region locked and we'll be lucky if even the biggest franchises make it outside Japan. That alone is enough of a reason to want Nintendo to stay the fuck away.

Sony meanwhile is region free and while they haven't localized all their titles they are at least willing to let someone else do it if they won't.

Have you checked to see how SMT/Persona sells? They aren't system saviors on a global scale by any means and are only a middling system seller in Japan.

Exclusive access to Atlus' library would likely boost Vita just enough to make it a viable second handheld behind 3DS in Japan and Japan alone, getting them at least a look from most 3rd parties. That would largely only happen because Atlus is already up to speed on the PSV with multiple releases out and coming soon, and the assets for a PS3 release of P5 could quickly be transitioned over to a PSV release instead (or go cross platform to maximize sales). They would have to completely retool for Wii U development and the problems they've been having with HD consoles (hence the delay of P5) isn't exactly something Nintendo can step in and fix since they're having the same problems. Waiting 2-3 more years for P5 on Wii U isn't going to help the Wii U much at all.

If any of the major first parties bought them it would make the most sense and have the best results if it was Sony. I'd much rather see GungHo buy them and begin to expand themselves into a more relevant 3rd party company myself, but I'm not sure how well Atlus' business (tied heavily to physical distribution of titles) ties in with GungHo's mostly digital distro success. It's very possible GungHo would view Atlus' distribution and localization arms as meaningless, making an acceptable price point for their purchase pretty unlikely.

As long as the games meet expectation I see no reason for SMT and Persona to make it over to the US given their small budgets and if Nintendo decides not to companies like Xseed would probably jump on the chance to pick it up like they for Last Story. Atlus to Sony would not save the Vita at all IMO.

It would probably be better if neither company got Atlus for different reasons TBQH.

wrowa

actually a second complaint I'd make is, I fucking loved Camelot, since Shining Force they'd been one of my favourite developers. I dont really want more of my favourite developers to follow that trajectory

You are aware that Camelot is not a part of Nintendo?

Refyref

First-party buyouts talks are silly, since they'll all be equally awful and are not likely to happen, thankfully.

actually a second complaint I'd make is, I fucking loved Camelot, since Shining Force they'd been one of my favourite developers. I dont really want more of my favourite developers to follow that trajectory

...Camelot is independent.

mclem

They were breaking the law to make money. Index is a listed company. As long as they continued the charade that it wasn't burdened by bad debts, the visible profits of the company would keep their jobs secure and they would be cashing paychecks and bonuses. The corruption scheme involves cooking the books to make the company look more profitable than it is, and hiding debts from the public eye. The individuals were making money off this scheme instead of taking responsibility for the poor business decisions they made years ago. The company suffers. That's how corruption works.

Yeah, I was thinking in the context of breaking the law to make money for the company, not doing so to make money for themselves. That's where I was missing the point.

I do still maintain that they were really bad at it, though!

since there's been a few wild guesses to buy out of Atlus here's a wild one to add to them

ROCKSTAR, Grand Theft Persona XD, the dark hour, every hour :p

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
You are aware that Camelot is not a part of Nintendo?

Man, don't remind me about their previous work on PS1 (Beyond the Beyond).

AniHawk

camelot does what camelot wants. they had a falling out with sega in 1995, cut ties after shining force 3, and went to sony. after hot shots golf, they had a falling out with sony and went to nintendo. they stuck around there for close to a decade and then tried doing i love golf before that turned out to be a bad idea and then went back to nintendo.

2+2=5

The Amiga Brotherhood
Nintendo? Really? People you are jsut plain CRAZY! If you want child safe persona games filled with mario, browser & co... Smh.

I wonder if this affects SMT IV to EU.... I'm assuming EOIV/SH are safe, but SMTIV concerns me ;_:

Nintendo? Really? People you are jsut plain CRAZY! If you want child safe persona games filled with mario, browser & co... Smh.
A Sony acquisition would be just as bad...PERSONA everything and nothing else. See? I can speculate out of thin air too. :p

Uh, Fire Emblem would like to have a word with you.
Well I really can't think of a bigger japanese publisher. Capcom and Square Enix would probably fuck up Atlus's IP more than Namco Bandai.
Square Enix would be a better choice than Scamco. I don't want Atlus near Tales and The Idolm@ster.

wrowa

camelot does what camelot wants. they had a falling out with sega in 1995, cut ties after shining force 3, and went to sony. after hot shots golf, they had a falling out with sony and went to nintendo. they stuck around there for close to a decade and then tried doing i love golf before that turned out to be a bad idea and then went back to nintendo.

Between leaving Nintendo, trying to make their own thing and going back to Nintendo they apparently lost quite a few key members which is probably responsible for their games being kinda on the shitty side ever since.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
Honestly, a part of me is rooting for Nintendo to buy them just so I can see the P5 meltdown first hand. I didn't ride the Bayonetta 2 "they done stealin' our game" thread in real time last time.

Seriously I do hope Altus land in a good home. Either Sony or NCL will do.
In the end I just want to see Atlus keep making games, if Nintendo is smart enough to get them to make games for the Wii U good for them. Either way I'll be playing Atlus' games in the future regardless of platform.

IrishNinja

huh, was wondering what the specifics of their post-sega days were

I think Namco Bandai would treat Atlus better than most. Maybe Marvelous?

if by "better than most" you mean "like a DLC-making sweatshop with a single open window" then i agree

this post takes me back to the days of garbage pail kids...good times

Soriku

You mean how Monolith has written the safest plots in it's history under Nintendo, or how it took a fan campaign for Nintendo to even bring their best game out in the U.S.?

Considering the twists in Xenoblade 'safe' is one of the last words I'd use. It's not as complex as Xenosaga/Gears but how do you know it's Nintendo's fault for that?

The fan campaign being necessary is a big blight but it seems like they're localizing X right now, so...

Not sure if serious or just cleverly trolling.

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Index's game business is doing fine. It should be pretty attractive to various investors and interested parties in the industry. The debts Index has are due to poor (possibly illegal) business management, and various things which occurred years ago before the actual merger.
Ah, all right. All I knew was that they had been cooking their books--didn't know how they were doing it. I must've missed the part about the bad debts.

SgtCobra

About Sony; Let's not forget Sony is a pretty incompetent company, and when it comes to decisions like this they pretty much don't do anything at all. So don't expect them to buy Atlus up, they didn't even moneyhat FFXV and KH3, that shows how much they care about third party JRPG's. so is buying Atlus up a possibility/option for them? No, not at all. I think they are just as nervous as we are about who's going to buy Atlus and hoping that some third party buys them up.

It's not being published by Atlus there, and all rights are already secured, so I doubt it will hurt it.

Yeah, but I don't think a publisher has been confirmed. I know there was speculation that Nintendo picked up publishing duties though. It's not NISA at any rate.

gngf123

Yes, because Fatal Frame, Fire Emblem, and Bayonetta among others really scream "child safe games filled with mario" to me.

cafemomo

A dark part of me wants David Cage to buy them and give the Persona IP to Ninja Theory.

I'll support this if it features Dante from the Devil May Cry™ series

PGaUcHN.jpg

AniHawk

About Sony; Let's not forget Sony is a pretty incompetent company, and when it comes to decisions like this they pretty much don't do anything at all. So don't expect them to buy Atlus up, they didn't even moneyhat FFXV and KH3, that shows hoe much they care about third party JRPG's. so is buying Atlus up a possibility/option for them? No, not at all. I think they are just as nervous as we are about who's going to buy Atlus and hoping that some third party buys them up.

that's a fairly good point. they also had japan studio work on demon's souls and bleach, and third parties had to bring them to the west in both cases.

Ideally, whoever does buy Atlus will, for the most part, just let them keep doing what they're doing. Bamco's been doing a decent job as of late imo. Definitely better than they were 3 or so years ago. They're not perfect, but almost nobody is these days.

Soriku

I like the Tales series but Bamco would probably make me hate Persona and SMT. I'd trust them with EO though.

What makes you say that?

I'd actually be OK with Namco. They're getting better with Tales and they even pushed Ninokuni and are handling the Dark Souls series right now, so are as far as JRPGs go they're OK.

If Nintendo wants to go all PANIC MODE for the Wii U they should buy Atlus. I can already see the meltdowns.

Nintendo buying Atlus I think would be more detrimental to Atlus than beneficial. If their games aren't making money now, I do not see how Wii U in it;s current state will help the situation. I just think their games need to be available to as many people as possible at this point.

mclem

You mean how Monolith has written the safest plots in it's history under Nintendo or how it took a fan campaign for Nintendo to even bring their best game out in the U.S.?

You say that, but from a European standpoint, Monolith-on-Nintendo has been considerably more reliable for localisation than Monolith-prior-to-Nintendo.

gngf123

Nintendo buying Atlus I think would be more detrimental to Atlus than beneficial. If their games aren't making money now, I do not see how Wii U in it;s current state will help the situation. I just think their games need to be available to as many people as possible at this point.

Atlus' most significant output of late is on the DS/3DS. Etrian Odyssey, Devil Survivor, SMT4, Strange Journey, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom