• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Index (Atlus) entering into a restructuring bankruptcy; looking to transfer/sell

Status
Not open for further replies.
the usa branch is where things would really get interesting if there is a buyout:

gungho: i don't think they have a us branch, so atlus usa could essentially become their arm in america. they already have distribution and stuff over here, so it would be a better buy than simply acquiring some franchises and talent.

tecmo-koei: this is actually a similar thing for tk. atlus usa is actually bigger and better organized than tk usa. if anything, they would absorb tk usa and become something that makes sense when localizing games. you might see improved work on making atelier games known again too.

marvelous: hooboy, this would be interesting. xseed is the smaller company from what i understand. actually, of nisa, aksys, xseed, and atlus, atlus is far bigger than any of them. so there would probably be some messiness here: moving buildings and probably some people losing their jobs (probably more on the atlus usa side of things).

sony or nintendo: these guys would probably just shut atlus usa down and maybe offer a couple of them jobs over at scea and nintendo hq doing a couple things. it wouldn't be pretty.
GungHo does have a US branch.

Minions

the usa branch is where things would really get interesting if there is a buyout:

gungho: i don't think they have a us branch, so atlus usa could essentially become their arm in america. they already have distribution and stuff over here, so it would be a better buy than simply acquiring some franchises and talent.

tecmo-koei: this is actually a similar thing for tk. atlus usa is actually bigger and better organized than tk usa. if anything, they would absorb tk usa and become something that makes sense when localizing games. you might see improved work on making atelier games known again too.

marvelous: hooboy, this would be interesting. xseed is the smaller company from what i understand. actually, of nisa, aksys, xseed, and atlus, atlus is far bigger than any of them. so there would probably be some messiness here: moving buildings and probably some people losing their jobs (probably more on the atlus usa side of things).

sony or nintendo: these guys would probably just shut atlus usa down and maybe offer a couple of them jobs over at scea and nintendo hq doing a couple things. it wouldn't be pretty.

Sony has acquired lots of teams in the past and kept them on. They actually have the most first party teams of the big 3.

IrishNinja

I don't think they will select a 1st party as sponsor. They will likely want to be under someone that gives them the liberty to decide on which platform they release their games.

staying more autonomous would obviously be better for them & likely consumers both, but what about this situation implies to you that they'd have a great deal of say in the matter?

Imagine if Sony buys Atlus and SMT/Persona singlehandedly revitalize the Vita.

Imagine if Nintendo buys Atlus and SMT/Persona singlehandedly revitalize the Wii U.

imagine if an odd fusing of two niche franchises either doesn't deliver, or somehow does but in both situations logically doesn't do big #'s

What? Even if Nintendo "saved" Monolith, it doesn't mean I have to be happy about how they handle things.

sure, especially NOA's handling, i'd agree - but it's clearly preferable to their non-existence was my point

Atlus games being confined to shitty Nintendo hardware for all eternity is only marginally better than no Atlus at all.

this is a ridiculous statement, and i'm getting echoes of the Bayo2 betraylton here

EmCeeGrammar was right.
Atlus will end up becoming Bioware Japan

oh god i hate emcee's prophecies so hard
this is only phase 1 for him; his visions of MGS5 are horrifying

gngf123

I'd either want Atlus to remain third party or be bought by Nintendo. They already have a close relationship with Nintendo, and there are already a tonne of good Atlus games on the 3DS with SMTxFE on the way for WiiU, I'd rather them not be forced into jumping ship mid-generation. Not to mention all the delicious tears that would come from it.

As long as they survive, things are all good though.

For those of you suggesting Sony, I'd imagine ATLUS' worth to them is limited to how likely they are to usurp the MH franchise. Get ready for a SMT esque MH clone? Doesn't sound pretty, does it?

sure, especially NOA's handling, i'd agree - but it's clearly preferable to their non-existence was my point

While true, I wasn't necessarily suggesting otherwise.

wrowa

Sony has acquired lots of teams in the past and kept them on. They actually have the most first party teams of the big 3.

Atlus USA is a publisher, not a developer. Sony would have absolutely no use for that. The only thing that might be interesting to them is Atlus' translators.

Same is true for Nintendo.

Soulflarz

Banned
I'd either want Atlus to remain third party or be bought by Nintendo. They already have a close relationship with Nintendo, and there are already a tonne of good Atlus games on the 3DS with SMTxFE on the way for WiiU, I'd rather them not be forced into jumping ship mid-generation.

As long as they survive, things are all good though.

Are we forgetting the good games not on the nintendo consoles?

Like perhaps the biggest of them all? Persona...

Anyways night guys.

AniHawk

Atlus games being confined to shitty Nintendo hardware for all eternity is only marginally better than no Atlus at all.

you're aware that persona 4 came out 2 years after the ps3 came out right? hell, even persona 3 launched in america after the ps3 was out. the only vita game they've made is an update to a ps2 game, and they only made on ps3/360-level game. i'm wondering where you got the idea that they're keen on pushing visuals to the limit when they haven't done that for close to a decade now.

duckroll

I even commented in it.

Funny, though, I thought people generally broke the law to *make* money, not *lose* it. Not only were they corrupt, they were really bad at it!

They were breaking the law to make money. Index is a listed company. As long as they continued the charade that it wasn't burdened by bad debts, the visible profits of the company would keep their jobs secure and they would be cashing paychecks and bonuses. The corruption scheme involves cooking the books to make the company look more profitable than it is, and hiding debts from the public eye. The individuals were making money off this scheme instead of taking responsibility for the poor business decisions they made years ago. The company suffers. That's how corruption works.

Soulflarz

Banned
What's with everyone wishing its bought by Nintendo?
One last thing

i think it has to do with nintendo having so many altus things

I think its mainly from people who dont love atlus for persona as the primary reason, maybe EO or SMT(4? Devil survivor? Idk)

IrishNinja

you're aware that persona 4 came out 2 years after the ps3 came out right? hell, even persona 3 launched in america after the ps3 was out. the only vita game they've made is an update to a ps2 game, and they only made on ps3/360-level game. i'm wondering where you got the idea that they're keen on pushing visuals to the limit when they haven't done that for close to a decade now.

^this is the truth a lotta people in this thread aren't comfortable with, sadly

What's with everyone wishing its bought by Nintendo?

more like what's with some who'd rather seem them die than the possibility, because that's a fan right there

Fanboy fanwishing under the guise of financial stability

worst post to not include the word "tribal" right here

IF you reverse engineer Atlus sales over the past few years, the studio hardly makes $1-5M net every year - given the risk of losing development talent on acquisition - I imagine Atlus is sold for less than $30M assuming any such sale takes place - what is more likely is that creditors will just take over Index and keep Atlus running the way it is today

In the situation they are sold, the probability of Nintendo buying them is super, super low. It would just set a terrible example to all of Nintendo's other partners that are small studios who Nintendo doesn't bail out with money when times get tough for them. They refuse to play favorites for a reason.

Expressing preference for Atlus when smaller studios in Japan have worked with Nintendo extensively could piss off a lot of people. The Monolithsoft thing was more of a gift because Nintendo intended to sell off their Namco Bandai stock anyways and Monolithsoft was more or less going to be dissolved post-merger since their products weren't doing so hot. Nintendo effectively "saved" Monolithsoft from extinction.

I could see Nintendo hiring a spin off of Atlus setup by ex-employees to work with them on projects and fund games with them. But short of that, it's just not Nintendo's style.

Sony has enough problems already and I really doubt Sony cares about a small company that sells less than 500k units worldwide. The Square case was exceptional since they were so critical to Sony's brand worldwide - and particularly in Japan where they didn't want Nintendo getting mainline FF.

Microsoft? Just not happening.

Only potential Atlus suitors would be Tecmo Koei - and frankly it hasn't been doing so hot lately. Square Enix is going towards the iPhone and probably doesn't want to get stuck with running a console/handheld-centric company. They would "EA" it and rip it to shreds.

Sega Sammy is already trying to figure out how to get out of the console business. Sonic is one of their rare exceptions as a franchise still doing well. Capcom doesn't have the time to deal with Atlus, and doesn't want to get into niche games as they have been narrowing their portfolio lately.

Only real buyers I can see are Namco Bandai or Level 5. Namco has another niche series (Tales) which they are trying to grow into a global brand. I could see them try to add SMT and Persona into that. NB also has excellent relationships with both Sony and Nintendo, and are looking to expand their incredibly shrinking product portfolio.

Level 5 has done some good work, they are sitting on a lot of cash. They are interested in doing their own publishing in the US and Atlus gives them that opportunity. But it would be a giant shift for a very small studio and not something I see them eager to get into via acquisition of assets like these.

tl;dr - Atlus will stay where they are under ownership of their creditors, short of that, they are Namco Bandai-bound

While I really wouldn't want to see Atlus being confined to one or two platforms, I have no issue with either Sony or Nintendo purchasing them.

Jamix012

One last thing

I think its mainly from people who dont love atlus for persona as the primary reason, maybe EO or SMT(4? Devil survivor? Idk)

I mean, I basically love Atlus mainly for Persona but still wouldn't mind Nintendo owning them. They're not my first choice, but they'd certainly provide financial stability, high quality and worldwide distribution.

AniHawk

yeah, but i'm talking the usa branch, which only publishes games. sony probably doesn't need most of what they have, including their distribution line, testing, and localization department. they might hire on a couple of those guys, but i doubt they'd keep the entire company around.

Kurtofan

Are we forgetting the good games not on the nintendo consoles?

Like perhaps the biggest of them all? Persona...

Anyways night guys.

Persona remakes of PS2 games all the way...

The last truly new megaten games have all come out on Nintendo consoles, Strange Journey, Devil Survivor 1, 2(and their upgrades) and SMT IV (the main series).

Coxy

for real, what's the downside in the nintendo hypothetical? are some of ya'll still thinking their censorship policies are like the 80s or is this herp derp they'll make jack frost mario games or what

or we're thinking nintendo are the ONLY REGION LOCKED SYSTEMS
They've improved their publishing but I sure as fuck dont want to live hoping on the whims and fancies of nintendo and I dont ewant to have to do an operation rainfall every other game

oneida

Cock Strain, Lifetime Warranty

The last truly new megaten games have all come out on Nintendo consoles, Strange Journey, Devil Survivor 1, 2(and their upgrades) and SMT IV (the main series).
First few MT's too, of course.

dhlt25

I don't care who buy Atlus or they will continue to stand alone. I'll follow them to whatever platform they're on and I already bought all their stuff on the vita 3ds anyways

One last thing

it also because of monolith .
if Nintendo can treat monolith good, people are sure they can treat atlus good too.

X looks better than all atlus game too, so wiiu hardware is also good for possible graphic improvements for atlus games.

wrowa

Atlus has developed games too no?

Catherine February 17, 2011[223] Developer: Atlus

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catherine_(video_game)
Developer(s) Atlus Persona Team

I think you didn't quite understand what anihawk was talking about. You are referring to the Japanese Atlus, he was talking about their American business. Their American business is publishing games developed by Atlus Japan and other companies.

There are a lot of legitimate reasons why Nintendo taking over Atlus wouldn't be a good thing, but I agree that the weak hardware argument is none of them.

Soulflarz

Banned

Yeah ik but sti-
Hey wait p4a and p4g are both not nintendo

Fake edit: i hope everyone in this thread gets tagged atlus fan or something. Would be cool :p

Durante

That would be terrible, considering that atlus usa seem to have some irrational aversion to dual audio releases.

SgtCobra

The number of people who want Atlus to become first party for Nintendo itt is astonishing.
Let some third party buy them up, I want my Atlus games on errrything.

it also because of monolith .
if Nintendo can treat monolith good, people are sure they can treat atlus good too.

X looks better than all atlus game too, so wiiu hardware is also good for possible graphic improvements for atlus games.

Nintendo isn't exactly "hands off" in telling Monolith how to develop their games. Hopefully this is less true for X.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom