• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Index (Atlus) entering into a restructuring bankruptcy; looking to transfer/sell

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeopower6

Important post

https://www.release.tdnet.info/inbs/140120130627078929.pdf

This is the official press release sent out announcing their civil restructuring. There's a lot of legal speak in it, but further down one of the important sections is their outlook for the situation. It states that the game division is clearly the most desirable and functional part of Index's business, and that's one area they plan on expanding on specifically. They will seek out and select a sponsor as soon as possible to conduct a business transfer before the situation further damages the value of this core business.

Sounds like they're looking for a partner or a straight buy-out.

Oh god, I wonder what's going to come of this and just who will be selected....

Important post

This is the official press release sent out announcing their civil restructuring. There's a lot of legal speak in it, but further down one of the important sections is their outlook for the situation. It states that the game division is clearly the most desirable and functional part of Index's business, and that's one area they plan on expanding on specifically. They will seek out and select a sponsor as soon as possible to conduct a business transfer before the situation further damages the value of this core business.

Yeeeesss. I'm sure there is going to be someone willing to support Atlus for the foreseeable future, they make quality games and sell relatively well.

Mistouze

user-friendly man-cashews
If Nintendo wants to go all PANIC MODE for the Wii U they should buy Atlus. I can already see the meltdowns.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Important post

Please be a benevolent 3rd party.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
My candidate predictions:

Marvelous
Tecmo Koei
GungHo

Seeing how Nintendo treated monolith, I want them to buy over Atlus. I am sure Nintendo will mostly let them do what they want.

If not then Sony, but I cannot imagine them buying over all the ips and treat them right. Do not think they will want another tlg in the form of persona 5 again...

wrowa

Important post

Well.

I still hope the partner or buyer won't be a video game company. I can't see anything good coming out of that.

Kyon

Banned
Now you know how I feel about them owning Monolith.

09954248.gif

GungHo BUY HA NOW!

Except it's not, since it's my actual opinion.

No offense if you like Wii U, but I want P5 on tech that's actually current; Not on a console with innards last considered impressive in 2009.
lol okay. That's as sad as a lot of people I know who never played P4, because PS2 in 2008 was a no go for them because no HDs.

Psssst, P5 will come out on PS3, shitty 2005 tech. Run.

Minions

Important post

I figured as much. Sounds exactly like what I would do if I company I had money in went under. They are planning to sell off assets (including Atlus). The longer they hold onto them with all the criminal activity (cooking the books) the less the company inevitably will be worth.

Except it's not, since it's my actual opinion.

No offense if you like Wii U, but I want P5 on tech that's actually current; Not on a console with innards last considered impressive in 2009.

Good luck getting your Persona with cutting edge visuals then. Persona 3&4 were hardly cutting edge visuals (PS2 or otherwise) for the time they came out.

Important post

Hopefully we get a decent third party buyout that can respect the platform diversity and options that made Atlus such good software developers.

I don't think they will select a 1st party as sponsor. They will likely want to be under someone that gives them the liberty to decide on which platform they release their games.

Imagine if Sony buys Atlus and SMT/Persona singlehandedly revitalize the Vita.

Imagine if Nintendo buys Atlus and SMT/Persona singlehandedly revitalize the Wii U.

duckroll

...According to what? Their financial statements?

Index's game business is doing fine. It should be pretty attractive to various investors and interested parties in the industry. The debts Index has are due to poor (possibly illegal) business management, and various things which occurred years ago before the actual merger.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
hm. how has marvelous been doing recently?

AFAIK, they're doing pretty well. Their Vita titles (yes, Vita title) are bringing decent money and Rune Factory 4 is also doing pretty well on the 3DS.

Minions

I don't think they will select a 1st party as sponsor. They will likely want to be under someone that gives them the liberty to decide on which platform they release their games.

They will choose whoever gives them the best offer. Creditors want their money, not a huge risk to never get it back.

duckroll

I figured as much. Sounds exactly like what I would do if I company I had money in went under. They are planning to sell off assets (including Atlus). The longer they hold onto them with all the criminal activity (cooking the books) the less the company inevitably will be worth.

Right. Furthermore, the longer it gets drawn out, the more it will begin to affect consumers, retailers, and fans. That sort of thing could kill goodwill and confidence in the company in future.

kadotsu

Banned
I could see DeNA or Tecmo Koei going for it. A few months ago I would've also said GREE but they are also in bubble pop mode right now.

Atlus games being confined to shitty Nintendo hardware for all eternity is only marginally better than no Atlus at all.
you do know that persona 5 is going to be on ps3 when ps4 is out like p3 and p4 were on ps2 when ps3 was our right?

Atlus were never a graphic power house, their games depends on art style too.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
So much fanboysm going on in this thread.
Yeah, I'm a Nintendo fan, and I would like Iwata to take them: look at how they're treating Monolith, they even expanded it recently. Having a good European branch is a plus, given I'm Italian.
...But I'm perfectly concious the best choice for them would be a third party, so they could still choose whatever platform they want to develop on, because they'd feel it's the right platform, not the ONLY platform possible for that game.

So, as said earlier, bring it on GungHo! :D

AniHawk

the usa branch is where things would really get interesting if there is a buyout:

gungho: i don't think they have a us branch, so atlus usa could essentially become their arm in america. they already have distribution and stuff over here, so it would be a better buy than simply acquiring some franchises and talent.

tecmo-koei: this is actually a similar thing for tk. atlus usa is actually bigger and better organized than tk usa. if anything, they would absorb tk usa and become something that makes sense when localizing games. you might see improved work on making atelier games known again too.

marvelous: hooboy, this would be interesting. xseed is the smaller company from what i understand. actually, of nisa, aksys, xseed, and atlus, atlus is far bigger than any of them. so there would probably be some messiness here: moving buildings and probably some people losing their jobs (probably more on the atlus usa side of things).

sony or nintendo: these guys would probably just shut atlus usa down and maybe offer a couple of them jobs over at scea and nintendo hq doing a couple things. it wouldn't be pretty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom