• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Index (Atlus) entering into a restructuring bankruptcy; looking to transfer/sell

Status
Not open for further replies.
or we're thinking nintendo are the ONLY REGION LOCKED SYSTEMS
They've improved their publishing but I sure as fuck dont want to live hoping on the whims and fancies of nintendo and I dont ewant to have to do an operation rainfall every other game
well they did region locked p4arena too......

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Atlus games being confined to shitty Nintendo hardware for all eternity is only marginally better than no Atlus at all.
This post makes no sense since A. Most Atlus games in the past few years have been confined to nintendo hardware. B. Persona 5 is very unlikely to be a PS4 game if it ever comes out C. Atlus games have always been incredibly low-key in terms of graphics.

hao chi

I'm not really picky about who buys them, I just hope whoever does get them doesn't do anything to ruin Atlus or their IP's.

Minions

I think you didn't quite understand what anihawk was talking about. You are referring to the Japanese Atlus, he was talking about their American business. Their American business is publishing games developed by Atlus Japan and other companies.

There are a lot of legitimate reasons why Nintendo taking over Atlus wouldn't be a good thing, but I agree that the weak hardware argument is none of them.

Just because part of the company would be laid off does not mean the IP's and the dev's are not attractive. I am just trying to figure out why the American part of the company is the only thing being talked about.

IrishNinja

or we're thinking nintendo are the ONLY REGION LOCKED SYSTEMS
They've improved their publishing but I sure as fuck dont want to live hoping on the whims and fancies of nintendo and I dont ewant to have to do an operation rainfall every other game

again fair point, between the region-lock and mishandling of monolith last gen this is the first real complaint i've seen here, can't argue otherwise

i like to think iwata coming to NOA & their current struggle with 3rd party efforts would change this around but until it happens it's just talk

Quote where I stated which first party I want them to fall under?

why would i have such an inclination? the time before last that i replied to you, you turned it into a passive-aggressive shot. think i'll pass on this engagement.

it was a very odd strawman reply you made, man

The number of people who want Atlus to become first party for Nintendo itt is astonishing.
Let some third party buy them up, I want my Atlus games on errrything.

agreed, i think most people feel that way as well - it's just a hypothetical that's getting an odd backlash here, so the discussion on it continues. if people had half the complaints with the sony example we'd be arguing that i imagine

Drek

Seeing how Nintendo treated monolith, I want them to buy over Atlus. I am sure Nintendo will mostly let them do what they want.

If not then Sony, but I cannot imagine them buying over all the ips and treat them right. Do not think they will want another tlg in the form of persona 5 again...

You mean how Monolith has written the safest plots in it's history under Nintendo, or how it took a fan campaign for Nintendo to even bring their best game out in the U.S.?

If Nintendo buys Atlus all their games will be region locked and we'll be lucky if even the biggest franchises make it outside Japan. That alone is enough of a reason to want Nintendo to stay the fuck away.

Sony meanwhile is region free and while they haven't localized all their titles they are at least willing to let someone else do it if they won't.

Imagine if Sony buys Atlus and SMT/Persona singlehandedly revitalize the Vita.

Imagine if Nintendo buys Atlus and SMT/Persona singlehandedly revitalize the Wii U.
Have you checked to see how SMT/Persona sells? They aren't system saviors on a global scale by any means and are only a middling system seller in Japan.

Exclusive access to Atlus' library would likely boost Vita just enough to make it a viable second handheld behind 3DS in Japan and Japan alone, getting them at least a look from most 3rd parties. That would largely only happen because Atlus is already up to speed on the PSV with multiple releases out and coming soon, and the assets for a PS3 release of P5 could quickly be transitioned over to a PSV release instead (or go cross platform to maximize sales). They would have to completely retool for Wii U development and the problems they've been having with HD consoles (hence the delay of P5) isn't exactly something Nintendo can step in and fix since they're having the same problems. Waiting 2-3 more years for P5 on Wii U isn't going to help the Wii U much at all.

If any of the major first parties bought them it would make the most sense and have the best results if it was Sony. I'd much rather see GungHo buy them and begin to expand themselves into a more relevant 3rd party company myself, but I'm not sure how well Atlus' business (tied heavily to physical distribution of titles) ties in with GungHo's mostly digital distro success. It's very possible GungHo would view Atlus' distribution and localization arms as meaningless, making an acceptable price point for their purchase pretty unlikely.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Christ. AND THIS IS WHY PERSONA 5 SHOULD HAVE COME OUT SOONER.

mclem

If Nintendo wants to go all PANIC MODE for the Wii U they should buy Atlus. I can already see the meltdowns.

To put on a slightly Machiavellian hat for a moment: What was the most successful game on PSP in Japan? Monster Hunter. Nintendo sought exclusivity. What's the most successful game on Vita in Japan? Is it Persona 4? I know it's right up there.

Rather than necessarily wanting them onboard for their *own* systems, it does strike me that throwing money at Atlus to stop them releasing on Vita would be a pretty dick-but-potentially-effective move in Japan to weaken that system's current slight rise.

Acorn

The number of people who want Atlus to become first party for Nintendo itt is astonishing.
Let some third party buy them up, I want my Atlus games on errrything.
This. And anyway how is a purchase by Nintendo going to help them in the West?

Atlus are still very much niche despite the fanfare.

Dantis

This topic is killing me.

I really, really hope Index somehow turns it all around. I don't want to see Atlus become a first party for any company (Particularly not Nintendo).

Guess it'll be a while until we see Persona 5. If ever.

:(

Or europe based Atlus fans tired of missing out on half of the games the rest of the world gets. And Nintendo is a great publisher over here. A bit selfish maybe, but who gives...

They're really not. NoE are a bit shit outside of their localisations.

AniHawk

aside from the usa branch being affected, this is also going to change the way the other small california companies do business. that will be interesting to see. if marvelous wins atlus, then xseed would instantly become the strongest of the then-three in the area.

AGoodODST

Wow, console warriors all up in yo face in here.

I seriously doubt either Sony or Nintendo would have any interest in buying them out. I imagine they would be content with a third party doing that, so they can carry on with the relationship they currently have in place.

Watashiwa

Watch SquareEnix buy them out and then release all their IP as shoddy iPhone games.

Yay?

...I don't know how to break this to you, but Atlus has been producing shitty cellphone games since before Persona 3. They've got "side story" cell phone ports of SMT if..., Majin Tensei and social games based on Persona 3 and 4. Oh, and that terrible "Aegis: The First Mission" cellphone action game.

tl;dr - Atlus will stay where they are under ownership of their creditors, short of that, they are Namco Bandai-bound

Thank you for the considered analysis. It's a fine change from the collapsing sky that most of the rest of the thread expresses.

mclem

....how are you people arriving at these conslucions
i should know better than to mess with the first 10 pages of these threads

Whoa, whoa! I'm just making sure I'm clear what Kyon was stating (to highlight how... extreme the opinion comes across as). That's not my own opinion!

massoluk

Banned
Can't see Nintendo buying Atlus, there never buy franchise or company, they buy people behind them. At best they probably set up another company for ex-employee.

Minions

Wow, console warriors all up in yo face in here.

I seriously doubt either Sony or Nintendo would have any interest in buying them out. I imagine they would be content with a third party doing that, so they can carry on with the relationship they currently have in place.

While true, the way Microsoft is throwing money around and the lack of RPG's for the system, this would be a good purchase for them. Especially considering they said they were still targeting japan and actually have a studio in Japan.

mclem

Atlus games being confined to shitty Nintendo hardware for all eternity is only marginally better than no Atlus at all.

Atlus games are already confined to 'shitty Atlus budgets'. I suspect the actual hardware doesn't affect them all that much.

AniHawk

They would have to completely retool for Wii U development and the problems they've been having with HD consoles (hence the delay of P5) isn't exactly something Nintendo can step in and fix since they're having the same problems. Waiting 2-3 more years for P5 on Wii U isn't going to help the Wii U much at all.

the other side of that is atlus is literally making a wii u game with nintendo.

wrowa

There's a lot of space beetween bleeding edge and generation behind.

Most of their games are on the 3DS these days and Persona 5 will likely be on PS3. They are already a generation behind by your definition.

Whatever, the Nintendo talk is silly.

Jamix012

There's a lot of space beetween bleeding edge and generation behind.

Persona 4 was released in 2008 on the PS2. It was a generation behind. Persona 5 is (or at least by most guesses) headed for PS3 level tech. A generation behind. Any argument that Nintendo shouldn't buy Atlus BECAUSE of Tech is on very weak ground. There are other reasons but this one doesn't exactly hold.

DBPlayer

Banned
If Nintendo wants to go all PANIC MODE for the Wii U they should buy Atlus. I can already see the meltdowns.

Honestly, a part of me is rooting for Nintendo to buy them just so I can see the P5 meltdown first hand. I didn't ride the Bayonetta 2 "they done stealin' our game" thread in real time last time.

Seriously I do hope Altus land in a good home. Either Sony or NCL will do.

Sadist

shiiieeet, I'd play a jack frost platformer
Jack_bros_Japanese_boxcover.jpg

AGoodODST

While true, the way Microsoft is throwing money around and the lack of RPG's for the system, this would be a good purchase for them. Especially considering they said they were still targeting japan and actually have a studio in Japan.

I completely forgot about Microsoft actually. Didn't they do something similar with the 360 to get Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssy etc? How successful was that? I don't know if I can see them doing that again if it didn't pay off.

Coxy

again fair point, between the region-lock and mishandling of monolith last gen this is the first real complaint i've seen here, can't argue otherwise

actually a second complaint I'd make is, I fucking loved Camelot, since Shining Force they'd been one of my favourite developers. I dont really want more of my favourite developers to follow that trajectory

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom