• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indiana Jones 5 Gets A Release Date

I am not sure this will good. When Has Spielberg directed something that was worthwhile lately? It seems like he has more misses than hits these days.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/07/10/indiana-jones-5-gets-a-new-release-date?read
Disney has officially set a release date of July 9, 2021 for Indiana Jones 5.

This is almost exactly one year later than its prior release date of July 10, 2020. Though we knew this wasn't going to stick, it wasn't until today Disney gave it an exact date.

The reason for the delay for Indiana Jones 5 most likely comes down to Disney's decision to change writers. Jonathan Kasdan, who most recently worked on Solo: A Star Wars Story, has taken over writing duties for David Koepp, delaying the film's shooting schedule.

Steven Spielberg is set to direct Indiana Jones 5 alongside long-time star Harrison Ford, although it appears that this will be Ford's last outing as the daring archaeologist. The most recent film in the series, Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull, was met with a negative reception from many fans, though there is sympathy to be had for this odd-ball entry in the franchise.

Zog

Banned
Honestly, I don't see the point of revealing a release date that is more than a few months out.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Oh shit I didn't realize Disney had Indy too, I know it's Lucas Films but I thought Paramount still had it.
That's another one gone.

Atrus

Gold Member
Nope. Nope. Nope.

As a kid I always wanted more, but now that I’ve seen what happens when that wish comes true with Indiana Jones 4 and Star Wars, I want Indiana Jones to rest with dignity.

They’ll probably kill him off and try to start some sort of Tomb Raider competitor with his teenage grand-daughter or thief-come-protege.

Disney’s all about IP exploitation.

Last edited:

BLAUcopter

Gold Member
IV was probably the worst Indian Jones movie, but I still liked it. It wasn't nearly as bad as the low lights of the Star Wars franchise IMO.
Nuke and a fridge dude. He survived being blown miles via a nuclear blast in a fucking fridge. THAT, plus monkey swinging garbage.

That film was a travesty and an insult to all indy fans. Ugh.

Schattenjäger

Gabriel Knight
Nuke and a fridge dude. He survived being blown miles via a nuclear blast in a fucking fridge. THAT, plus monkey swinging garbage.

I initially strongly agreed with you on the absurdity of the fridge but then re-watched Last Crusade with the 3 tests and knight holed up guarding the Grail and just realized all the movies are absurd and just to enjoy .. my biggest gripe with Indy 4 is the weak mcgruffin

RubxQub

φίλω ἐξεχέγλουτον καί ψευδολόγον οὖκ εἰπόν
The problem with Indiana Jones now...at least for me...is that Harrison Ford is just too old now. Like he really can't move like he used to, and when it comes to an adventure movie and your hero is this bigger than life, survive against all odds, slug-em kind of guy...and he's kind of hunching and hobbling around...it doesn't really inspire like it used to.

The mystery of the movies was never really the draw of the movies for me. It was how this smart and badass guy was going to get through this adventure.

I really like Harrison Ford, but he's just not literally able to be his former self.

...also surviving a nuclear blast in a fridge and a CG gopher staring at him afterwards just doesn't work for me.

Doom85

I mean, the raft scene in Temple of Doom is just as illogical but it didn't get meme'd so many people forget how dumb that one was. Also, Willie, just Willie. Quite possibly the most annoying character in a blockbuster film ever. I consider that the actual insult to Indy fans, since regardless of what happened in 4 nothing made my head ache and for me to wish the film would just become a silent film so I wouldn't have to hear a certain character's insufferable whining. I'm not saying 2 is all bad, there are some good moments, but it's dragged down by certain elements that just don't fit the series (I'm fine with occasional dark moments in an Indy film but 2 overdid it, why was the opening scene trying to be James Bond) and Willie. Also, it's a minor thing, but the moment of "Indy tries to just shoot the swordsman again but he doesn't have his gun this time" confounds me as it's a prequel and thus the original movie's swordsman moment hadn't happened yet so rather than laughing I'm just thinking about the timeline, if it had happened in 3 then I wouldn't have minded. 4 is just kinda non-offensive, it's not great but there's very little in it that upsets me outside of the two scenes you mentioned which barely make up a significant percentage of the movie.

Heck, it's kinda funny to imagine that Jar Jar Binks was Lucas trying to one-up Spielburg in making the most annoying character in one of their films. Valiant effort, Mr. Lucas, but I feel the trophy still belongs to Mr. Spielburg.

AaronB

Odd-numbered Indy movies are great, and even-numbered ones are terrible. If only Indiana Jones could be combined with Star Trek - which has the reverse pattern - we could get the most consistently good franchise ever.

Unless their evil sides are dominant.

VulcanRaven

I'm excited about this. Indy 4 wasn't great but I'm glad that they are making more. I just hope it won't be delayed again because Harrison Ford is 75 already. There might be a time when he is too old to play Indiana Jones.

Last edited:

WaterAstro

Harrison Ford still goin? Guess Spielberg isn't done with him yet.

NHqaHYb.jpg

KotCS had an incoherent plot as well. Two different aliens who look alike, constantly changing properties of the skull, the quadruple agent guy, Indy is mind-controlled now then fine suddenly.

It starts off pretty good, up until Indy and Mutt start traveling.

Gander

Banned
I generally don't approve of prequels but backwards is really the only place to take this series with a young Indiana Jones being treasure hunter. To add some authenticity you can have some narration by Harrison Ford.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I heard it will be a continuation, sonata this point set in the 60's?

95% it will be about the JFK/MLK assassinations!

5% some sort of israeli/Palestinian thing.

VulcanRaven

I'm excited about this but Harrison Ford is 77 years old. I hope this doesn't get delayed because he might be too old at some point.

He talks about the movie here:

Last edited:

xrnzaaas

Indy 4 was awful and I'm not interested in Harrison faking his action scenes and possibly being digitally made younger like the grandpas from Irishman.

Don't worry, it's a Disney franchise now. He'll be passing the torch to a young girl who will take over the series.

I totally expect that the movie will retcon his son and replace him with a girl born between Indy 4 and Indy 5 timeline.

Last edited:

Gargus

Banned
I dont even care anymore.

Spielberg hasn't been a good director for decades. All his movies used to be wonderful and he had his own unique feel to his films. You could tell he really put his heart into his work and he was a superb director. But minority report was the real beginning of his end and he rapidly went downhill. He went from being an amazing director to a very competent director. Like a lot of directors he got older and lost his fire.

1 was the pinnacle. 2 and 3 were good as well and each had their own style and feel to them that made them feel different but you could tell 3 should have been the send off movie and left them on a high note. 4 was just an awful tragedy in every aspect.

All i want now is a 4k release of the original 3 with some decent bonuses and that's it. I dont want more new Indiana jones.

I'm excited about this but Harrison Ford is 77 years old. I hope this doesn't get delayed because he might be too old at some point.

He talks about the movie here:

I love that he looks around the room before he suddenly shifts from making fun these directors for making him dress up in "tight pants" to talking about how much he loves Indy and (implied) Han Solo and "giving customers what they want".

Disney must have had a bunch of lawyers surrounding the interview.

Hans Bubby

Banned

Never understood people always bringing this up. Indy does a lot of crazy shit in all the movies but now we bring up realism in the 4th movie?

autoduelist

I could handle the fridge. Monkey swinging garbage was trash & travesty.

I am excited for this one to emasculate Indy and 'teach' us about colonialism. Maybe Indy will flagellate his own, empty husk.

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
I can’t imagine this will do anything but follow the Force Awakens model.

I.E. One last ride, Indy goes out a hero, baton firmly passed to the next generation with a big chunk of screentime for them, and Indy taking a backseat, so the IP can continue to generate money.

I’m not very interested in that movie. A good send-off would be something like what I’ve heard Sylvester Stallone had in Rambo. A story focused on him, with finality, closing the book.

It’s also Disney, and ”Indiana Joan and there’s nothing wrong with that” Steven Spielberg, so I fully expect the successor to be woke-compliant first, and a good character second.

vt6UQ9N.gif

It’s the wrong era to make this movie, for multiple reasons. Any 5 should have followed 4 a few years after, not over a decade later. Ford was delightful in 4, and Force Awakens, but we are pushing all limits of sanity for age in extreme action movies.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Never understood people always bringing this up. Indy does a lot of crazy shit in all the movies but now we bring up realism in the 4th movie?
I loved the fridge scene, the whole Indy vs the atomic bomb bit was really cool. Yeah no crazier than the life raft from Temple of Doom.

With the right writer an old Indiana Jones on one last adventure could be one hell of a movie.

William Munny being well past his prime in Unforgiven is what made that character so good.

jason10mm

Gold Member
For me the problem isn't just Harrison's age, it's the time period. WTF is a guy like that gonna do in the 60's or 70's? If they continue on with some kid/side kick, WTF are they gonna do in the 80's? Yeah, yeah Tomb Raider/Uncharted blah blah blah, those franchises can never get off the ground cinematically because it just doesn't work. Something about the 20's/30's just clicks with this genre IMHO. Unless they go into a computer-less void world kinda like Archer and just never really address how small the modern world is compared to what is 'appeared' to be like in the 20's. Indy is gonna die on the woke altar because a white man can never interact with another culture like that again.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
There is no way Harrison Ford will be the star????? The guy is ancient and in the last Indy film he was already old and could barely do shit. And that movie was 2008.

I can see him being a mentor or a side character like Sean Connery. where a young actor takes over the role. Maybe his nephew is the new adventurer or something.

Last edited:

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Will Shy LAbuff be in it? if he's not its a no go for me.
Same.

If they're gonna pass the hat, give it to Chris Pratt. He's the closest thing to Indy.

I dunno though. I just don't see the point.
Crystal Skull should have been the last and I even liked that movie.

Even Robert Englund now has said he's too old to be playing the other iconic fedora wearer, Freddy. Do we really need an 80 year old Indy running around still? I'm afraid he might shit his pants.

Come on, Hollywood.

Melon Husk

I just hope it won't be delayed again because Harrison Ford is 75 already. There might be a time when he is too old to play Indiana Jones.
i remember cringeing at old Indy when i saw Crystal Skull. that movie came out 12 YEARS AGO!!!
He looked great in The Force Awakens. Maybe they should give Indy a beard. That could make him look younger.
80 yo Harrison Ford playing the hero sounds kinda lame. He was already too old for Indy 4.
Indy 4 was awful and I'm not interested in Harrison faking his action scenes and possibly being digitally made younger like the grandpas from Irishman.

I totally expect that the movie will retcon his son and replace him with a girl born between Indy 4 and Indy 5 timeline.
Shaking my head at this blatant AGEISM.

Rose Byrne would have been dope 10 years ago when she had that Marion Ravenwood look. But she's almost 40 now. TOO OLD GAF??

There is no way Harrison Ford will be the star????? The guy is ancient and in the last Indy film he was already old and could barely do shit. And that movie was 2008.

I can see him being a mentor or a side character like Sean Connery. where a young actor takes over the role. Maybe his nephew is the new adventurer or something.

Shh they can still bring Sean Connery back!
Did you not recently witness a a spry 90-year-old Christopher Lee whack ringwraiths butt?

Last edited:

Melon Husk

He's too old.
Don't underestimate Disney's necromancers. They don't even require breathing specimens.

They could retcon Senior into being lost in Atlantis for the past 20 years. A message in a bottle gives Junior a motivation to venture out and find his dad. Connery can lie against a wall for 5 minutes, get a big fat paycheck and his last role won't be Sir Billi.

They can and should do Atlantis without Connery, but it would be cool to have both.

Shantae

Banned
If it was just Disney doing it, I'd be more worried, but I still have faith that Spielberg can make a good movie when he really tries. I always thought some of the shitty ideas from Crystal Skull always sounded like a lot of Lucas's shitty ideas, and the talentless writer. Spielberg didn't say no to Lucas enough, but maybe this time he'll have a little more creative input.

Harrison's age doesn't really matter, because I still thought he was able to bring good screen presence even in Star Wars The Force Awakens. Hell, even his 60 seconds in The Rise of Skywalker was probably the best part of the movie.

I think they could pull off a good Indy movie with Ford.
But they would have to play along with his age, and not let him doing crazy action scenes. He should be the "Papa Jones" now, like Sean Connery was in Last Crusade.

Biggest problem I see is the age that will play in. Pulp needs the 20ies to 40ies to work.

And yeah, maybe the woke crap that might be in that movie..
It's Disney after all.

Top Bottom