• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

INDIE GAME : The Movie Thread: Out 12 June on DD | Steam | iTunes

Just finished watching it. Words cannot describe how fucking incredible the movie was to me. I just hope this movie gets out to everyone, inspires more people to create original and indie games. I sure am more inspired and also scared/putt off from making a game than ever after watching this movie.

To complete my earlier answer, I've just tried copying the Steam mp4 file (without modifying it in anyway) to my iPhone 4s and it had no trouble reading it, even though a 1080p video might be overkill on a phone.

Cmagus

Just finished watching it. Words cannot describe how fucking incredible the movie was to me. I just hope this movie gets out to everyone, inspires more people to create original and indie games. I sure am more inspired and also scared/putt off from making a game than ever after watching this movie.

Couldn't have said it better.

aasoncott

Not at home atm but I assume there's a digital copy waiting for me as an original backer of the kickstart?

As a backer, you're actually getting a digital version, a complementary Steam version, a free copy of Super Meat Boy, and Jim Guthrie's amazing, amazing soundtrack. They really went above and beyond.

To complete my earlier answer, I've just tried copying the Steam mp4 file (without modifying it in anyway) to my iPhone 4s and it had no trouble reading it, even though a 1080p video might be overkill on a phone.

Awesome to hear, I just got done buying the Steam version and then got a little worried that it would be DRM-ed to hell.

Really looking forward to watching this, I've been following the indie scene a lot more over the past year and have mad respect for all of these guys.

Salsa

As a backer, you're actually getting a digital version, a complementary Steam version, a free copy of Super Meat Boy, and Jim Guthrie's amazing, amazing soundtrack. They really went above and beyond.

Yup just saw this. Neat-o

giving away my steam copy and SMB to a buddy for the time being. Im fine with DRM-free one. Will watch later tonight.

Good news, I've just checked my Steam folder and while you're supposed to watch the movie through the application, there's a 3.1GB 1080p mp4 file there.
It also appears to be DRM free (didn't have any trouble opening it with WMP or VLC).

Yup, I'm streaming it from my PC to my Macbook right now. Awesome that they did that.

thcsquad

So who does this movie insult enough that the guy making Dyad has been calling the movie creators out over Twitter?

http://twitter.com/#!/dyadgame

Supposedly, this movie spends a great deal of effort bashing somebody and I haven't had time to watch it yet so I don't know who and for what reason.

smr00

Banned
I had to stop the film a few times when the super meat boy guy opened his mouth and spewed non-sense.

The balding one, his shitty comment towards call of duty/halo and how they are shitty and that he doesn't make shitty games make want to punch my monitor, not because i like halo or COD, i could care less about them. I wanted to punch my monitor because he continues to come off as this pretentious fucking hipster douche bag.

It's a great docu so far (about an hour in) but this guy just continues to rub me the wrong way with his pretentious bullshit.

And i get the same feeling from Phil at times, the way he flips out over his ex-partner felt immature and childish.

So who does this movie insult enough that the guy making Dyad has been calling the movie creators out over Twitter?

Supposedly, this movie spends a great deal of effort bashing somebody and I haven't had time to watch it yet so I don't know who and for what reason.

I guess the movie creators filmed Blow talking about some stuff and never got the other side of the story and now the guy who created Dyad feels left out for not getting to tell what he feels really happened? That's what I could figure out from the tweets. Haven't seen the movie yet.

smr00

Banned

I assume it's Jason Degroot, his ex-partner.

Made me want to turn off the documentary and go to bed, he acted really fucking childish in that scene.

haikira

Cheers for this info. You helped me settle on going for the steam version.

Knox

I didn't really follow Fez before it came out (loved the game though) so I don't know much about Fish, but he came off super immature in this movie. Cool movie though. It would have been interesting if they followed a game that failed, but I guess they didn't know at the time.

MrSerrels

Brilliant film. On so many levels.

On the one hand it's a story about putting more of yourself in the things you create. But it's also a warning to separate the two.

I loved it.

ShinjukoOtaku

Neo Member
i am a huge fan of Roger Ebert as a critic. i think his arguements are well rounded, insightful and frequently hilarious. He has been my go to guy for reviews as long as i can remember.

having said that, Mr Ebert's piece on the integrity and artistry of Videogames felt undercooked and poorly resolved ( a fact he later attributed after admitting that he didn't really understand what they were or how they were made or why people like them)

http://blogs.suntimes.com/ebert/2010/04/video_games_can_never_be_art.html

having just watched the movie with my parents (two very much non gamers) i thought it would be an awesome effort if we could rally together and get Mr Ebert to watch it to see how it shapes his oppinions going forwards.

its not so much in an effort to have one of my favourite mediums validated but mainly because for the first time, Videogame design can finally be understood and appreciated in a mainstream way

so what do you say GAF? shall we get mr ebert to sit down and give this humble film the time it truly deserves?

Zia

I had to stop the film a few times when the super meat boy guy opened his mouth and spewed non-sense.

The balding one, his shitty comment towards call of duty/halo and how they are shitty and that he doesn't make shitty games make want to punch my monitor, not because i like halo or COD, i could care less about them. I wanted to punch my monitor because he continues to come off as this pretentious fucking hipster douche bag.

It's a great docu so far (about an hour in) but this guy just continues to rub me the wrong way with his pretentious bullshit.

And i get the same feeling from Phil at times, the way he flips out over his ex-partner felt immature and childish.

Laugh.

Anyway, second time I've seen it and, yes, Jason DeGroot is a nice guy and that made me pretty uncomfortable now that the film's in the wild. However, Shawn's wrong to draw attention to it, in my opinion. It made sense, contextually, and Phil is entitled to his feelings. Rough stuff.

shawnlreed

Watched this last night.
Really well done documentary.
Edmund McMillen and Tommy Refenes both seemed likable and human. As others have said, showing their families made it much easier to empathize with them
Jonathan Blow came off favorably as well. He always has intelligent things to say about game design.

Phil Fish seems profoundly immature.
Talking about killing himself if he doesn't finish his game.
Having rage fits of anger about his ex-partner, and about his broken PAX game build.
Most of what I know about Phil Fish stems from the news about his ugly statements during GDC, but this documentary just makes Fish look even worse.

Zia

Phil Fish seems profoundly immature.
Talking about killing himself if he doesn't finish his game.
Having rage fits of anger about his ex-partner, and about his broken PAX game build.
Most of what I know about Phil Fish stems from the news about his ugly statements during GDC, but this documentary just makes Fish look even worse.

I don't think it does at all. Those with a pre-existing bias probably think that, but everyone I've spoken to has fallen in love with him. I think him and Ed are the most relatable characters in the film. If you've ever created something you thought was really important to yourself and others, you'd know it makes a person imbalanced. I think it's a very accurate portrait of an overly emotional, stressed and loud-mouthed artist.

Pietepiet

If you've ever created something you thought was really important to yourself and others, you'd know it makes a person imbalanced. I think it's a very accurate portrait of an overly emotional, stressed and loud-mouthed artist.

This is so true.

You really think you wouldn't throw a fit if your whole showing at an expo might not happen at the last minute, or that your build doesn't run correctly at a fucking crucial moment? Come on, now.

Love the film. Saw it at GDC with my fellow devs (amazing experience to watch this with people that all share a common interest in game development) and watched it again last night. Will watch the Ed & Tommy audio commentary soon :)

jyoung188

Really looking forward to finally watching this tonight, first I have to persuade the Mrs.

My wife didn't really want to watch it at first either
(she wanted to go see MIB3, we flipped a coin, thankfully I won)
but she ended up really enjoying it and actually got a little choked up a couple times. Its a great human story and it doesn't get too into the actual process of game making, so its very girlfriend/wife friendly even if she's not into games.

BoxcarWalrus

Neo Member
Watch this last night. Pretty fascinating to see the amount of emotions put into this game. Would like to see a documentary on someone who poured their heart and soul into a product that failed miserably.

Also, Phil Fish, dude.

Loved the film about it, especially because it made me rethink the way I interact with developers, the influence we have as an audience, as a forum, as gamers. I have a lot of respect for what they go through and I liked watching the way they framed the stories.

Super well made, feels like we've been gaming during a really important chapter of gaming and good things are to come.

Inkwell

Banned
I was expecting a somewhat mediocre film about indie game designers, but it was actually fantastic. It was shot well for something almost consisting entirely of interviews. Love them or hate them, the designers themselves are somewhat eccentric and incredibly interesting to watch. I've yet to look into the bonus material. I would even recommend the film to people who have no interest in video games.

Salsa

done watching. Amazingly crafted and beautifully shot. Loved it. Edmund's speech about the little kid staying up made me tear eyed like a motherfucker. Glad to have my name on the credits for this. Really powerful.

iavi

Finished the film just a few minutes ago. Fantastic. As someone who's wanting to get into a creative field, and put themselves out there in that way, I had a general idea of the stresses, but seeing them in action, and what it does to the psyche just had me cringing/mentally preparing myself - Both Fish, and Team Meat's in particular.

Blow, with braid being done, and his scenes being a postmortem of sorts, was an outlier, and thankfully, the film spent little time on him. I don't dislike him, nor do I like the constant use of the fucking term 'pretentious,' but I definitely feel that he tries way to hard to be something 'more.' His comment on the extremely positive reviews of Braid angering him because they were 'shallow,' and that the reviewer 'only understood the surface of Braid' was a bit silly. People play games to play the damn games and enjoy themselves - not to have an overwrought dialogue with a troubled artist. With that said, I didn't, but tons of people loved Braid, and still being angered regardless of that actually makes me think less of him.

Ironically enough, the film showed a good contrast with Edmund and Danielle's approach to the matter of authorial intent, imo. It's out of your hands, and if people get it without you having to show up at every event, or in every comment thread and tell them, it's a success.

Fish, I can sympathize with him a good bit more now - post his JP games comment, which was all I had heard of him. He's presents himself as a loudmouthed egomaniac who doesn't seem to think through everything he says before coming with extremes, but his trials with Fez seemed genuine, and definitely cemented my purchase of it whenever it hits the PC. It always looked like a fantastic game.

I plan to go through the film again with the Team meat commentary tonight. Should be fun.

Watched it this morning and thought it was excellent. Really happy that Team Meat did well and I remember buying the game the day it was released before the advert appeared. Phil Fish seems like he was under a lot of pressure so I can see why he was angry in the film.

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
I enjoyed the movie very much, I kind of got into a similar situation like Phil (supposedly) did at some point, so that specific part resonated greatly with me.

However, it has to be said that all games portrayed in there are extraordinary, which is sort of a missed opportunity in my opinion, seeing as the failures are much more engaging when you look at them closely; also, the story seems kind of too good to be entirely true.

Having said that, I can enjoy a non-true story as if it were true, particularly because I'm not actually involved; as a result, it leaves me cold if it isn't entirely true. I felt the same about King of Kong.

Top Bottom