• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [April] Now Voting - Post 635!

zkylon

zkylewd
Cart Life is one of my six. Approach it less as a game and more as an experience, chat to every NPC about every topic (reload the game if needed be). The dialogue is bounds and leaps above most games, indie or not, and I found myself caring about the characters in minutes.
Also, at night you should sleep! Game gives HARSH penalties and locks down most options if you don't eat or sleep enough.
I kinda wish the game was a little more lenient with time so I wouldn't feel so pressured into not wasting any.

I mean, I get that it's the point of the game, but it feels like the game's taunting you by giving you so much content and not enough time to engage it.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
This is nothing - next month voting will be hard, with all those popular games coming out. Maybe we could change the rules a bit and allow to vote for up to ten games in may - this way the less known ones won't be in disadvantage from the beginning.

Yeah, maybe I'll raise that next month. Someone remind me next month in case I forget.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Quick initial 40 minutes impressions:

I am a bit disappointed by Monaco.

Toma

Gunpoint is coming to Steam soon, which was already thanks to the Steam Registry, but here you have the official announcement.

i7bJwbS.jpg

Most of you probably already know about this game. You play a freelance spy, your clients hire you to break into high security buildings and steal sensitive data.

Here is a run-down of the different gadgets that will be at your disposal + the Steam announcement:

Youtube Video

More Information

Oh right! Thanks for the reminder. That game looked SUPER interesting from the gameplay I watched a while ago.

Toma

• Reprisal - Already mentioned it before, but this game is a cool throwback to the 90s god games. Its still level based and not the "experimental" type game that some people might expect from Indies. Great style, great gameplay, highly enjoyable.
  • The Castle Doctrine - This game deserves to have a spot on this list for the great execution of a super interesting idea. The way the dev integrated the offense-defense balancing mechanic was brilliant. And even though it still seems to miss a bit content, it still offers plenty of possibilities. Only issue so far was the balancing that allowed for unsolvable fortresses, but really really great concept.
  • Cart Life - Probably the most valuable game for videogames as a medium this month. The exploration of story elements and characters in this game is nothing short of amazing. Its very rare that a game can touch and influence you on such a profound level. And on top of this artistic and emotional level, its a very competent economic simulation as well. I think its pretty safe to say that this game is one of a kind and we wont see a similar game that is also this well executed any time soon. You all should try it.
  • Clairvoyance - I already knew that I like these type of games, but I am still positively surprised just how much they managed to nail down the ease of play with deep tactical mindgames. Very easy to learn, fun to play and very easy to lose time to.
  • Unepic - Such a stupidly fun game. Basically plays like a predefined sidescrolling roguelike action adventure with interesting and fun conversations. This game is way too underrated and will get a thread by me eventually with the upcoming Steam release. Fan-fucking-tastic game.

Toma

Tried co-op yet?

The game gets so hard (I have only tried solo).

I played a bit more, and yes I also tried coop. Coop usually makes games more fun anyway, but that doesnt absolve it from me judging the SP game which I was buying it for. Its a weird beast really. The game is well made, but the actual gameplay isnt what I expected it to be. In comparison, Hotline Miami is more unique and plays more fluidly. Monaco should be able to make up for it with the stealth elements but these stealth elements seem ... pointless? At first you dont "need" the stealth elements in the levels and you are rewarded for running through the levels instead since thats what the highscore leaderboards measure. So you are being punished for playing slowly? Thats really bugging me, because the game is not meant to be played as Hotline Miami. From reports, the levels seem to get unfair later on, but the game just plays so... unoriginal. Hotline Miamit felt fresh, Monaco doesnt. Its really weird, and I feel bad for not liking it so far :(

The more hectic nature goes well in MP when players have different abilities and players still need to communicate, but I am still disappointed the stealth aspect seems so unbalanced.

I kinda wish the game was a little more lenient with time so I wouldn't feel so pressured into not wasting any.

I mean, I get that it's the point of the game, but it feels like the game's taunting you by giving you so much content and not enough time to engage it.

I actually think the point of the game is to contrast how interesting people can be if you allow them into your life, versus how little time you have to do that because of the time restrictions that modern life, working and other obligations impose on us. In other words, I think it's making a statement; a powerful, well-realized one at that.

• Cart Life - Probably the most valuable game for videogames as a medium this month. The exploration of story elements and characters in

Your Cart Life description was cut short. THIS WILL NOT DO.

Speaking of votes and impressions, and seeing how my weekend will be packed, I decided to get them off the way now, even if it means cutting into my sleep time :D

Cart Life

Delightfully personal game that uses a vending cart simulation as an excuse to paint a variety of believable, likable, detailed characters with some of the best, most charming dialogue you'll ever read in a videogame. You'll care more about this game's characters after playing for ten minutes than you'll do after dozens of hours in most games. Entirely, 100% free (support-the-author versions with extras also available).

Freedom Planet

The Sonic spiritual sequel that's more playable and fun than most actual 2D Sonic games (to say nothing of their 3D cousins), thanks to a more sensible health system, level design that doesn't consist of a single-high-speed track, and several characters with different abilities. To paraphrase Guild Wars 2's sales pitch, if you love Sonic games you need to check it, and if you don't like them you definitely need to check it. Has a free demo so you have no excuse not to do so.

Intrusion 2

Amazing, beautiful physics-based Contra-like that, again, is better than many of the originals. During the course of the free demo alone, I piloted mecha suits, battled screen-high enemies, sled down a mountain hill, and rode a freaking giant wold while punching holes into enemies with my railgun.

Super House of Dead Ninjas

A roguelike-like with absurdly fast-paced ninja platforming action. The beautiful son of Shinobi and Spelunky, it plays even faster than any of them. Travel down the 250 levels of a tower, armed with your katana and a supply of shuriken that you can reuse if you pick them off walls or dead enemies. Entirely free to play on your browser (with lots of unlockables to boot), but bring XPadder or any similar joy-to-key mapper. The loading screen is a shrink-wrapped SNES box of the game. :)

Unepic

An addicting mix of Metroidvania and straight RPG. Pretty hilarious in its original Spanish scrit, but there's tons of languages available, including English; they however reportedly kept the traditional Spanish foulmouthedness intact, so you might want to cover your ears... or eyes, I guess. Beautiful 2D visuals, atmospheric lighting and a forebonding soundtrack converge to create an ominous and truly engaging experience. Has a free demo that I've not beaten yet, so it must be quite long.

Waking Mars

An incredibly unique experience in which you "create life, rather than end it" (as the game's own advertising says). Explore Mars and learn about its rich biosphere and how the different Martian animal-plant lifeforms interact with each other, then manipulate them to achieve your goals and keep exploring. Has some pretty amazing character art, which by the way, gets bonus points for having a middle-aged, Asian main character and female, African-American supporting character.

Toma, tell me if any of these are too short or whatever and I'll rework them.

Toma

I actually think the point of the game is to contrast how interesting people can be if you allow them into your life, versus how little time you have to do that because of the time restrictions that modern life, working and other obligations impose on us. In other words, I think it's making a statement; a powerful, well-realized one at that.

Your Cart Life description was cut short. THIS WILL NOT DO.

Speaking of votes and impressions, and seeing how my weekend will be packed, I decided to get them off the way now, even if it means cutting into my sleep time :D

Cart Life

Delightfully personal game that uses a vending cart simulation as an excuse to paint a variety of believable, likable, detailed characters with some of the best, most charming dialogue you'll ever read in a videogame. You'll care more about this game's characters after playing for ten minutes than you'll do after dozens of hours in most games. Entirely, 100% free (support-the-author versions with extras also available).

Freedom Planet

The Sonic spiritual sequel that's more playable and fun than most actual 2D Sonic games (to say nothing of their 3D cousins), thanks to a more sensible health system, level design that doesn't consist of a single-high-speed track, and several characters with different abilities. To paraphrase Guild Wars 2's sales pitch, if you love Sonic games you need to check it, and if you don't like them you definitely need to check it. Has a free demo so you have no excuse not to do so.

Intrusion 2

Amazing, beautiful physics-based Contra-like that, again, is better than many of the originals. During the course of the free demo alone, I piloted mecha suits, battled screen-high enemies, sled down a mountain hill, and rode a freaking giant wold while punching holes into enemies with my railgun.

A roguelike-like with absurdly fast-paced ninja platforming action. The beautiful son of Shinobi and Spelunky, it plays even faster than any of them. Travel down the 250 levels of a tower, armed with your katana and a supply of shuriken that you can reuse if you pick them off walls or dead enemies. Entirely free to play on your browser (with lots of unlockables to boot), but bring XPadder or any similar joy-to-key mapper. The loading screen is a shrink-wrapped SNES box of the game. :)

Unepic

An addicting mix of Metroidvania and straight RPG. Pretty hilarious in its original Spanish scrit, but there's tons of languages available, including English; they however reportedly kept the traditional Spanish foulmouthedness intact, so you might want to cover your ears... or eyes, I guess. Beautiful 2D visuals, atmospheric lighting and a forebonding soundtrack converge to create an ominous and truly engaging experience. Has a free demo that I've not beaten yet, so it must be quite long.

Waking Mars

An incredibly unique experience in which you "create life, rather than end it" (as the game's own advertising says). Explore Mars and learn about its rich biosphere and how the different Martian animal-plant lifeforms interact with each other, then manipulate them to achieve your goals and keep exploring. Has some pretty amazing character art, which by the way, gets bonus points for having a middle-aged, Asian main character and female, African-American supporting character.

Toma, tell me if any of these are too short or whatever and I'll rework them.

Corrected my Cart Life blurb, and your texts look fine. Off to bed with you ;)

zkylon

zkylewd
yeah I get the point, my problem with it actually goes back to the bigger issue I have with the game, and that's it having a pretty lousy interface and control scheme, which makes everything all the more painful.

and I support clumsyness as a way of storytelling, I feel like it works great in papers, please because it actually makes you feel like you're in that tiny bureaucracy cabin, swamped with papers and folders and all that jazz.

cart life is just annoying out of oversight I imagine, with menus working with the mouse and general control with the keyboard, and everything is too cramped and unapproacheable, I don't like it at all.

I dunno, I like where it's going and some things about it and I'm not one to be deterred over small details but they really turned me off in this game.

probably gotta wait and try again later.

wetflame

Pizza Dog
I see so many interesting games that are in development here, I just hope that they all make it to a release, and that when they do I'll find out about it, because it's almost impossible to keep track of all of them! Haha. Gunpoint looks great, so does TrashTV and Businessman. Love those art styles.

I felt burned by Cart Life because I ran into a bug very early that I didn't realize was a bug, so I just ended up feeling frustrated.

Early game "spoilers":
I couldn't figure out how to take my daughter to school. Clicking her did nothing. Later found out it's a bug and you're supposed to be able to talk to her.

It's already a game that deals in frustration constantly, so running into unintended frustration elements is just too much.

Toma

I felt burned by Cart Life because I ran into a bug very early that I didn't realize was a bug, so I just ended up feeling frustrated.

Early game "spoilers":
I couldn't figure out how to take my daughter to school. Clicking her did nothing. Later found out it's a bug and you're supposed to be able to talk to her.

It's already a game that deals in frustration constantly, so running into unintended frustration elements is just too much.
I didnt encounter any bugs with the other character you can play.

zkylon

zkylewd

Early game "spoilers":

I think you talk to her by pressing up or down :/

Hofmann

newLogo.png

Kairo is a place where nothing is left to chance or at least in unintentional way. Every little piece is constructed to deliver a clues to decipher the logic that lies behind the creation of this world and, with one small exception, it never uses text in any form to do so. That's the beauty of it, it tells a rich story not by randomly scattering audiologs in the most absurd way possible – like Bioshock for example, but with its architecture, sounds, details peeking out the cracked walls, etc., and of course puzzles. The puzzles serve different purposes, but they're always integral part of the world. From the very beginning, in front of our eyes, they start to put the mechanisms into the motion, transforming the space around to help us reach the conclusion. What's more, they're not there to punish; they're just to test the basic abilities. So it's more of an exploratory kind of game than puzzles, even though they make about half of the time you spend with it.

I really loved it. How it sets up the mood of unknown. How elegant it is – the simplicity of controls (no need to use keyboard at all, mouse is enough by default) and the clean unique visuals set it above similar kind of games, not to mention the content it succeeds to deliver - there are a few things left to interpretation, but that makes it even better. The only thing I hated is the secret ending. It's completely unnecessary and it breaks the immersion in my opinion, so if you don't care about achievement - forget about it, just meet the requirements, because they add some perspective to the story, and let it go. Other than that, it's well worth recommendation – one of the most fascinating games I played recently.

It's 20% off on Steam right now so grab it while you can.

Hofmann

Sad news for Death Inc. Ambient Studios confirmed they will close as the Alpha funding wasn't getting enough traction to keep developing the game. If any of you alpha funded, don't fret, devs will fully refund buyers.

Sorry to hear, it looked cool. But I think there is something wrong with those kind of projects right from the planning stage, if they can't succeed even with a help of Kickstarter. The dev working on Stasis wrote a few things about it: http://www.stasisgame.com/stasis-and-kickstarter/.

STASIS IS MY KICKSTARTER. I have a goal in mind for how many sales STASIS has to make for me to go into full time Game Development. Make no mistake, that is the end goal. I want STASIS to be the beginning of that journey. I want to create an awesome game, that people will love-and use that foundation to do the same again and again and again. I don’t want people to buy into the promise of future things-because those are fleeting at best, and gut wrenching when they fail.
IN CLOSING…
I think that Kickstarter is a wonderful idea, and I know without it we wouldn’t have some truly incredible projects coming up in the next 48 months…but its not for me, or STASIS.

Hofmann

Interesting to note that there doesn't appear to be any in-game text or voiceover whatsoever.

Spoiler alert:
the only part is the skeleton scribbles, well, before he became one, lol.

Edit:
I forgot about those two audio recordings both found in the first building. It may explain more clearly who build this space ark.

I think you talk to her by pressing up or down :/

That's what I meant. I was using the usual interaction keys, I forgot that it wasn't mouse clicks. It's been a while :p

Regardless it just wasn't working. I may get back to it sometime and try again but I was just too frustrated then to want to bother, and I had other stuff to play.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
newLogo.png

Kairo is a place where nothing is left to chance or at least in unintentional way. Every little piece is constructed to deliver a clues to decipher the logic that lies behind the creation of this world and, with one small exception, it never uses text in any form to do so. That's the beauty of it, it tells a rich story not by randomly scattering audiologs in the most absurd way possible – like Bioshock for example, but with its architecture, sounds, details peeking out the cracked walls, etc., and of course puzzles. The puzzles serve different purposes, but they're always integral part of the world. From the very beginning, in front of our eyes, they start to put the mechanisms into the motion, transforming the space around to help us reach the conclusion. What's more, they're not there to punish; they're just to test the basic abilities. So it's more of an exploratory kind of game than puzzles, even though they make about half of the time you spend with it.

I really loved it. How it sets up the mood of unknown. How elegant it is – the simplicity of controls (no need to use keyboard at all, mouse is enough by default) and the clean unique visuals set it above similar kind of games, not to mention the content it succeeds to deliver - there are a few things left to interpretation, but that makes it even better. The only thing I hated is the secret ending. It's completely unnecessary and it breaks the immersion in my opinion, so if you don't care about achievement - forget about it, just meet the requirements, because they add some perspective to the story, and let it go. Other than that, it's well worth recommendation – one of the most fascinating games I played recently.

It's 20% off on Steam right now so grab it while you can.

How long would you say it is? Or perhaps what I should ask is did you play the demo, and how much of the game would you say that was? I loved the demo and i'm weighing Kairo for my next purchase.

Hofmann

How long would you say it is? Or perhaps what I should ask is did you play the demo, and how much of the game would you say that was? I loved the demo and i'm weighing Kairo for my next purchase.

I didn't play the demo before the purchase. According to Steam it took me about 7-8h, but I tried to look for everything by myself, only needed help to solve one secret puzzle. If you rush through it, it would probably take much less time, but it is not how you should experience it - there are too many details to be lost that way.

In the end it was the best €5 spent in the long time.

Toma

I just noticed, again, by collecting stuff for the next thread how important Hofmann is for this thread. Big thank you to you, Hofmann.

Also: People closely following this thread probably know most games for may already, but.. they look mightily tasty together as a list.

Toma

Toma

2 things:

1. Reminder for myself that I stopped updating the stuff for the new thread at post 552 with currently 36 games to play and 29 in the future section.

2. Random, but some of you may know that I have a free music review blog for which I also post in OT: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=403141 and you guys should really, really check out this instrumental Bassoon/Guitar record:
http://bernardkogovsek.bandcamp.com/ Just listened to that on loop while updating next months thread. Great stuff.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
I can only really comment on Intrusion 2, but it's a grand time.

Been a while since I thought I beat a boss and it went into the next phase and instantly killed me.

Toma

Not really something on topic, but I wanted to share this piece that I came across. I know the lot of you will enjoy it.

Source and list of references here.

I wanted to count all the references I understand, but I stopped at 15. Crazy how many games and people they cramped into this picture.

Also, this picture is just perfect:
vUVbdSJ.png

Dude crying - Check.
Awesome gaming machine I want to have - Check.
Control scheme that is never going to happen and which makes me wish for a handheld version - Check.

Edit: This actually tempts me to change my avatar:
HmpzdW8.png

Not really something on topic, but I wanted to share this piece that I came across. I know the lot of you will enjoy it.

Source and list of references here.

How is this not on topic? :D

I find it ironic that, of those games I did know (over half of it), the one I didn't see until I read the references is precisely FTL, my favorite one :p. Also, why does absolutely everyone and their mother misspell it as "Kestral"? It's "Kestrel"!

Also awesome to see Vib Ribbon there, among all these current-gen games.

Edit: learned about Nidhogg, watched a video, thought it looked awesome, then discovered it's not available to the general public. :(

Toma

7 Grand Steps will be released in May. The game received a mention for IGF Narrative, and was a finalist for IGF Nuovo. This is a kind of board game which you play solo. Strangely addictive. There is a demo for PC and Mac, and a paid early-access to the beta. The game could be part of the May thread.

Did you play it? How does it play like?

Here are my votes for this months thread. Feeling a little icky today so don't really feel up for writing descriptions (perhaps I'll edit some in later), soz.

BroForce
Door Kickers
Qasir Al-Wasat
Unepic

If you only play one game from this list, make it Qasir.

Wok

Did you play it? How does it play like?

You play with the mouse. The game is similar to monopoly, but not this much strategic. There are some options in the dialogue to create the storylines of your family. Every turn, you decide how to move the main character, help him/her find a partner, try to mate, collect tokens, invest in abilities for your children. It is a really strange game, but I ended up playing it for several hours during several evenings.

D

Deleted member 59090

Unconfirmed Member
My votes for the month:
Atum
Cart Life
Cook, Serve, Delicious
Teleglitch

Did you write up impressions on MM or WotHT? Dont remember reading many impressions on those two.

I guess I can write something for War of the Human Tanks.
It is a top down tactics game with an interesting story that is presented like a visual novel. Basically it is a world where tanks are humans, at least similar to humans. They are loyal, and dumb enough to stay loyal.
This one is a screenshot from the tactical part:
And this one is a screenshot from the visual novel part:
Another one:

Toma

dang this Lunar Bundle looks good http://www.indieroyale.com/

Back To The Future, Pid, Dungeon Hearts, Cargo Commander + 3 more games to come.

I am a sucker for match 3 so I will buy for Dungeon Hearts

Edit. Just realized Toma posted it a few posts ago :p

I might miss the games they put in the bundle later. If it wont be posted, someone feel free to post them as well!

I already got Back to the Future and I bought it just for Dungeon Hearts and Pid, which look good. The awesome thing is (in case anyone is wondering) all of them have separate Steam and Desura keys, so you can gift extras to your friends.

Hofmann

Remembering (free) - It takes similar approach to Icefishing V, which I wrote about few days ago. But the execution is even more radical and minimalistic. The visuals are used only as an entry point for what's happening in the sound space. It's interesting how much power those audio samples contain. For example a seagulls' squawks and sound of waves immediately bring memories of a first time being at sea in me. I really like how open to different interpretations the world is. The devs are describing it as a half forgotten dream and they're right - there were moments I unconsciously closed my eyes, because it felt natural. Pretty cool experience, just be sure to change the controls to mouse only – forward to LMB and interact to RMB – it's much better this way.

And voting:

- Waking Mars
- The Plan
- Atum
- Marvin's Mittens
- Reprisal

Toma

Totally random, but another great thing about Indies: So many are playable for free. Either in a completely free version or in demos, because these guys need to fight for the attention and purchases and they know that a demo goes a long way. I really, really miss demos in the mid-upper section to see if I can run a game before buying and whether I like the overall feel.

Top Bottom