• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [July] Now Voting - Post 874!

MagRunner is damn cool. Its basically a portal style 3D puzzle game that looks quite nice, has some interesting mechanics based around magnetism, a great cutscene art style and a lengthy campaign (15 hours). This could very well be the best Portal style game (after Portal) I played so far. Very positively surprised about this one.

You finished it? You're wiser then I, I'm getting roadblocked at every puzzle, crawling through that game. I agree it's really impressive though, behind games like Portal, QUBE and Antichamber but not that far behind. The only major criticism I would lay down is your main dude is a little slow with his walk. I wouldn't mind a sprint button.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Tried Project W - Phase 2:
beta_october_11.jpg
Competent 4X game basically, with a shit load of stuff to do. It has all the basics: economy, energy, warfare, espionage and throws some more stuff on top like stock market trading and pollution levels. The systems in place have a lot of depth to them, like there are more than enough researches to be done and different unit types to be built, however, the game is super terrible at easing the player into the game. If you start the game in the normal mode, you will already start with... 20-30 regions, all of which need to be set up properly over the course of the game. Just doing the start phase in which you'll build energy and research centers everywhere takes ages and probably led to the 7 average scoring for the game. It simply is a bit boring to just do the same thing over and over again for 30 regions. Other game modes are a bit better, which allow you to start off with only 1 region, but this mode more or less falls into the same trap since you are forced to conquer 1-2 regions per turn, which in the end turns out to be more or less the same speed of development you'd have in the other mode as well. The game simply lacks any feeling of... progression? Like starting off with a single village in Civilization and then growing and nurturing it until you are strong enough to sustain another village. Here its just region spamming.

Once you get over that though, the game has quite a lot to make it interesting, since it allows for quite a few actions during one turn, allowing for very meaningful actions in an individual turn. On top of that, the game also has a turn based, hexagonal battle system in which you command the units to flank your opponents or use units that are stronger against certain other unit types. Didnt expect that here (you can also use the automatic battle).

I mean its a decent and free game, so its hard not to recommend, but I guess its another case of a game that reaches for the stars, only to find out all the stars have already been taken. Although its quite decent, I dont quite see a reason to play THIS game over the several other 4X games I own. Still, it was interesting to see these games coming from the Indie space.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
You finished it? You're wiser then I, I'm getting roadblocked at every puzzle, crawling through that game. I agree it's really impressive though, behind games like Portal, QUBE and Antichamber but not that far behind. The only major criticism I would lay down is your main dude is a little slow with his walk. I wouldn't mind a sprint button.

Nah, maybe 3-4 hours in, got the 15 hours number from Messo's thread and spoiled myself on stuff happening later via the screenshot search for this thread -_-
Definitely one of the games to land on my list this month though that I will keep playing.

I havent yet played Antichamber but wasnt too impressed with QUBE. I like the overall presentation of MagRunner quite a lot (with that mutant, the overarching story and the change in the game later on) and just felt like that "spark" from Portal and now MagRunner was missing from QUBE. Although I gotta admit that QUBE looked really, really slick.

How is QUBE? I have the demo, still haven't tried it.

Antichamber is a mindfuck though. I played the early concept demo and it was...whoa

Could I run Magrunner with a Pentium Dual Core B970 and Intel HD Graphics 2000? I love first person puzzle games like that and Portal

Toma

How is QUBE? I have the demo, still haven't tried it.

Antichamber is a mindfuck though. I played the early concept demo and it was...whoa

Could I run Magrunner with a Pentium Dual Core B970 and Intel HD Graphics 2000? I love first person puzzle games like that and Portal

99% chance of no.
And Qube was neat, but considering there are quite a few games in the genre now that offer "more" gameplay/story wise, 10$ feels a bit expensive for it to me. But you could just give the demo a try and see whether 4-5 hours of that game seems to be worth 10$ for you.

Defenders Quest is a great Tower defense game with quite a bit of depth and RPG mechanics. It does apparently allow you to grind it out though so getting stuck shouldnt be much of an issue. It IS a fun game and I will probably keep playing it, but its quite amazing how different TD games (compared to Sentinel last month) can turn out to be. Both great TD games and both aim at something entirely different with their core gameplay concept.

Guys, stay away from Defenders Quest. It will eat your lives. I mean it.
Seriously now, it's awesome. It looks like a run-off-the-mill Tower Defense, but it so is not.
(already ranking 10th of my most played Steam games and climbing steadily. :S).

Toma

Guys, stay away from Defenders Quest. It will eat your lives. I mean it.
Seriously now, it's awesome. It looks like a run-off-the-mill Tower Defense, but it so is not.
(already ranking 10th of my most played Steam games and climbing steadily. :S).

Thats what CardHunter does to me. That game.. god damn. Cant wait for the dungeons to reset so I can spend another 2-3 hours to go through the beginner dungeons again.

How is QUBE? I have the demo, still haven't tried it

It's cool, I really liked it. Its achieves this thing where it explains nothing to you bluntly but delivers a series of puzzles that teach you the mechanics naturally. In many ways I think it achieves the goal of wordlessly passing on mechanics better then giants like Portal. However, the game is a little easy, only the very final selection of puzzles actually challenged me. Their are also these dark puzzle rooms that are, for lack of a better term, absolutely fucking terrible. But acide from those flaws, it's really cool and well worth checking out although if the price is an issue I would recommend waiting because its not really a game that lasts you, it's a good enjoyable 1-3 evenings depending on how sharp your logic and spacial awareness skills are.

99% chance of no.
And Qube was neat, but considering there are quite a few games in the genre now that offer "more" gameplay/story wise, 10$ feels a bit expensive for it to me. But you could just give the demo a try and see whether 4-5 hours of that game seems to be worth 10$ for you.
Any recommendations for those games that offer more gameplay/story wise? That I could run

And I finally picked up Cortex Command. That game is really fun. (Swapped for it, definitely wasn't going to spend $20)

Toma

Any recommendations for those games that offer more gameplay/story wise? That I could run

And I finally picked up Cortex Command. That game is really fun. (Swapped for it, definitely wasn't going to spend $20)

I'd love to read more impressions on CC if you get into it. Havent managed to convince myself yet to give it a proper go. And the biggest issue with those games is... your PC >_> They are all requiring a bit graphical capabilities at least and most of them are not as well optimized as the Portal games.

Gbraga

So, guys, what do you think? It's pretty much a copy paste from the Kickstarter page, but I don't know what else to add (or what not to include):

What does it feel like to not exist?

a7c9d2ada187bda4a6bfdc97c920b0e8_large.png

LIONHEART DRIVE (or "LIONESS") is an experimental adventure game about human connection. The player controls Eggert Kirby, a freelance journalist, as he conducts research for an article about a series of seven mysteriously missing people. Of course, nothing is as it seems and he soon befriends a nicotine addicted cat and unravels a plot involving time-travel, yakuza, and interdimensional coffee.

SYSTEM: Gameplay in Lioness focuses on social interactions, life, and narrative. We are experimenting with unique new ways to approach games as a storytelling medium which haven't been explored in past adventure games.
Lioness offers a non-linear plot that can be navigated by meeting new people, solving problems, and exploring unique urban environments, all rendered in colorful, fluid rotoscope graphics.

Rather than navigating a static tree of binary decisions, we are strongly focusing on providing an organic narrative experience that feels personal and unique to everyone who plays it.
The game will be released episodically in the form of 7 'sessions'. Each session will reveal more about the plot, the world, and the people in it.

Beautiful song 'Costopenko':
tmKkY.gif

https://soundcloud.com/postpre/costopenko

For only $7 you can get 8 more games along with Lionheart Drive

BRAINGALE
We've been quietly collaborating with the braingale collective to bring you 7 brand new games that will be available exclusively as a part of this Kickstarter. Each of these games are deeply unique and personal; something you wouldn't find anywhere else -- And this campaign is the only way to obtain these games for the foreseeable future. (What is braingale?)

32c4a00981fddf1e6f5abc0025c8d188_large.gif

francis ☼ by Andrew Brophy (Rocket Hockey, Takishawa is Dead)
An exploration game that's (probably) not going to be about saving people, bad gravity, magic, terrifying things in the dark, coffee.

88b22334d99ccde133badf3a4c5b0d25_large.gif

KILLING MAN by Jerry Mickle (Coffee Mafia, SHOOT CAR, SHIT PANTS)
It's time to be a killing man.

3cab93d612a1977827dfbef47c2bf126_large.jpg

gabbage day by Todd Luke (Treasure of the Abandoned City, winnose)
become the unsung urban hero

b7cda2d31c570b827f208607cfa71749_large.png

Shadow Creatures are in the Sky by Namragog (Escalated Strange)
Use talismans to serve your god; fight the shadow men.

6b14e1b0e4d74926c1d561b02b968c0d_large.png

Star Bizarre by Lulu Blue (FILO • FILO • DISCO, Strife in a Parallel)
Here lies the pauper, who knew not care nor comfort.
Here lies the father, who by behest of their ego raised a tragic life.
Here lies the guard, yet awaiting their next order.

b278d8fde1e578ea51a7a1111e0fb0a6_large.png

Untitled by Alec Stamos (Tales of the Renegade Sector, Flight of the Data Thief)
More info coming soon!

54051019596dee48de9593f61bb09a2d_large.png

The Devil's Throne by Manuel Magalhães (Marble Time)
More info coming soon!

b4835682ff5c1369435607fdaa805c08_large.png

For the past several months, Phil and I have been working on an experimental 2-in-1 short story video game package called "cutthroat EP". It contains:

dde1d18ad89d4faf67bb07f1adcda83b_large.png

Catering to Birds: A "not-game" about a man who believes that he is a bird. Take flight in a relaxing world of sound and color. A story of isolation.

3dabc4fe27083b79653012482ca56c51_large.png

The Death Styx: A punk rock fever dream through hell. It's a fast paced, abrasive, and incredibly loud adventure that will chase you through a new vision of hell for the digital age.

By backing for $7, you will receive a digital download of both games BEFORE they are officially released to the public.

b3a31417c30a945d481b762509434db1_large.gif

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/967459848/lioness

Oh and the other game I finally played was Mount and Blade Warband. At first I thought it was an open world RPG like Elder Scrolls but the guys in the Steam thread corrected me. So I tried the demo and it is awesome. I love the mouse based directional combat. It's at the top of my Wishlist now. Hub based open ended RPG, with huge battle, that I can actually run smoothly? Yeah, that's my kind of game

Is the Napoleonic Wars expanison worth getting? It seems so different from the other M&Bs (guns, artillery, etc)

Toma

So, guys, what do you think? It's pretty much a copy paste from the Kickstarter page, but I don't know what else to add (or what not to include):

What does it feel like to not exist?

a7c9d2ada187bda4a6bfdc97c920b0e8_large.png

LIONHEART DRIVE (or "LIONESS") is an experimental adventure game about human connection. The player controls Eggert Kirby, a freelance journalist, as he conducts research for an article about a series of seven mysteriously missing people. Of course, nothing is as it seems and he soon befriends a nicotine addicted cat and unravels a plot involving time-travel, yakuza, and interdimensional coffee.

Beautiful song 'Costopenko': https://soundcloud.com/postpre/costopenko

For only $7 you can get 8 more games along with Lionheart Drive

b3a31417c30a945d481b762509434db1_large.gif

Hofmann? You or me?

Hofmann

That's really a great OP, I wouuld just add kickstarter link and maybe that funky boombox dance gif somewhere

MagRunner is damn cool. Its basically a portal style 3D puzzle game that looks quite nice, has some interesting mechanics based around magnetism, a great cutscene art style and a lengthy campaign (15 hours). This could very well be the best Portal style game (after Portal) I played so far. Very positively surprised about this one.

Nice to see you enjoyed it :)

CzarTim

I picked up Cortex Command years and years ago, but honestly I could never get into it.

Toma

Looks crazy, backed. More weird non-linear adventure games!

I am actually atm more interested in the smaller projects in there rather than the "big" one. Will prob. back at 14 for the soundtrack.

I played Alltynex and it is a solid shmup. The game graphics brings me back to the 32 bit era and it's a positive point, for me at least because I played a lot of these games on my PSOne so its kinda brings me back to that period. Unfortunatelly the enemies design is forgettable, don't get me wrong I liked the game but one thing that I like in the shumps that I played back in the day was the enemy design. If you're fan of the genre give it a try.

rybrad

Expeditions: Conquistador seems to be a cool game but it didnt grab me immediately in the first 20-30 minutes. This month definitely had other games that were better at immediately grabbing me. Will give it another try when I went through the other games this month.
I tried playing this tonight and I think it might be too much for me. It is overwhelming how many systems and concepts you need to grasp immediately. I might revisit it later but I think this is just one of those games I am too dumb for.

Oh and the other game I finally played was Mount and Blade Warband. At first I thought it was an open world RPG like Elder Scrolls but the guys in the Steam thread corrected me. So I tried the demo and it is awesome. I love the mouse based directional combat. It's at the top of my Wishlist now. Hub based open ended RPG, with huge battle, that I can actually run smoothly? Yeah, that's my kind of game

Is the Napoleonic Wars expanison worth getting? It seems so different from the other M&Bs (guns, artillery, etc)

I didn't really enjoy it. Napoleonic Wars does has this very unique setting, I can't think of another game set in the period, and this real hardcore dedicated fanbase. But I just found matches boiled down to shooting at dots in the distance with inaccurate weapons which lost a lot of the charm and wild zeal of the earlier M&B melees. Glad you're liking Warband though, that games amazing. No game has ever quite recreated that feel of leading your own cavalry charge into ranks of unexpecting foes.

Hofmann

Looks crazy, backed. More weird non-linear adventure games!

Check out Sarcia, promising adventure game from the OP. It also provides non-linear experience, that will change every time you play it. From their site:
Every Journey is Unique.
From your character's appearance to the place you are born and the people you meet. A lot of things in Sarcia is different during each playthrough, making your experience unique.

McSpidey

Well the Desura customer base demographic just grew in an..interesting direction. We'll see what type of titles end up on top of the sales charts there now ;)

Toma

Created a thread for it, then noticed someone already did 19 hours ago. Yay me.

And I am not sure how I feel about it either, but I guess nothing will change in the short term. Long term I could see them trying to integrate more community features ala steam, but we'll see.

Toma

Steam sale madness started, aaah. Wanted to look at some off the radar Indies, but the store is hopelessly flooded. And this card shit did not make the sales better >:-(

Vancha

Steam sale madness started, aaah. Wanted to look at some off the radar Indies, but the store is hopelessly flooded. And this card shit did not make the sales better >:-(

Every sale is like this, I'm waiting another 2 houres atleast before I try :p

Top Bottom