• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [July] Now Voting - Post 874!

Nilaul

New NaissanceE gameplay trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=uDSi1-lACNk.

Watch it, now, I command you!

http://indiestatik.com/2013/07/12/well-ill-be-damned-naissancee/
NaissanceE_Screenshot_06b.jpg

Looks awsome... god It would be awesome to be able to see the characters hands.

Even adding a few freaky enemies wouldnt be a bad idea; would definitely give a good fright. The game is scary as it is.

I have one question regarding FEZ - is there point of no return somewhere?
I've reached star gate an I don't know if I should continue or go back and find what's left. Btw, I'm seven hours in and the game is awesome so far

Edit: got an answer somewhere else.
I would like to know the answer to this. A simple yes or no would do to prevent spoilers. Thanks.

Techies

Viscera Cleanup Detail - The space-station janitor simulator
It's a freeware game, also on Greenlight. Looks cool and different
http://www.runestorm.com/viscera

july10_08.jpg

july10_04.jpg

Viscera, a game they made in 10 days is getting more attention than Rooks Keep which took them 3.5 years...

People seem to like games with unique concepts in which they can partake in it's development from an early stage where there isn't really a goal set.
That and it's the kind of thing you-tubers live for, something they know people will comment on.

Wish Rooks Keep could be that popular, but the lack of interest seems that I will be one of few who will be playing that game in the end of the day.
Well looking forward to Viscera anyways, anything can happen with that game (I'm personally routing for a modern relevant Space Quest direction)

Viscera, a game they made in 10 days is getting more attention than Rooks Keep which took them 3.5 years...

People seem to like games with unique concepts in which they can partake in it's development from an early stage where there isn't really a goal set.
That and it's the kind of thing you-tubers live for, something they know people will comment on.

Wish Rooks Keep could be that popular, but the lack of interest seems that I will be one of few who will be playing that game in the end of the day.
Well looking forward to Viscera anyways, anything can happen with that game (I'm personally routing for a modern relevant Space Quest direction)
Personally I want to see some kind of Dead Space/CSI/Amnesia mix. You're cleaning up deaths and murder scenes in a space station then you have to use your tools to evade and distract some kind of alien threat that's stalking the station

klinkcow

Neo Member
This sounds a lot like Proteus which I can totally get behind. I enjoyed that quite a bit earlier this year. The bit about uncovering a storyline spanning centuries has me intrigued since I can imagine it being similar to 2001: A Space Odyssey's finale. Will be keeping an eye on this for sure.

I'm absolutely giddy about this game... maybe even enough to break Rogue Legacy free from constant and obsessive play!

Another amazing freeware

Outer Wilds
screenshot2.jpg

From Rock Paper Shotgun
You have 20 minutes to explore the solar system before the Sun goes supernova. The idea is that you learn with each playthrough, figuring out how to cover more ground and discover new secrets each time.

When you load the game, you’re looking up at the sky (a nice choice for the default camera angle). Above you, mysterious planets. Everything you see, you can touch, with no loading screen in-between. You can just fly there.

This is a game where your ship can break and you have to go outside and repair your ship as it moves through fields of gravity and you might get sucked into the sun or something because the sun isn’t a background texture it’s the Sun.

In Outer Wilds I found awe.

The first planet I landed on (accidentally smacked into as I flailed at the controls) was a water planet. I came down through the atmosphere and splashed into the sea. I saw something through the viewport, so I left the ship to investigate. Below me were giant alien jellyfish. I swam closer.

Before I could touch them, my ship started floating away. I watched helplessly as it got sucked into a waterspout. I swam toward the waterspout to get my ship back and then shwooop I’m flying through the air, into space, and I’m in my fragile little spacesuit, clinging to the outer layer of atmosphere, only to see my ship fall back into the ocean. So I dive in after it. Cosmic slapstick.

The point is, I was allowed to be part of a system larger than myself. Many AAA games define themselves around the player, coming alive at their approach to provide scripted events that simulate awe, rather than supplying the ingredients from which awe is derived. In Skyrim you find the bones of buried systems that never made it, like sprawling dynamic civil wars. The end result has eliminated risk, leaving only the shell of awe.

In Outer Wilds I can get marooned, fucked over by gravity, run out of oxygen. I don’t want those things to happen to me, but I appreciate that they can.

The controls are tricky, and on-screen hints refer to console configurations, not PC. I wish there was keyboard documentation (edit: here it is!), especially given the many controls tied to the relatively realistic physics which take some time to get used to. I wouldn’t mind a version with more arcadey controls, because all I really want to do is explore cool planets.

But there’s something to admire about games that let us experience things in real time, across unabstracted space, step by step. They frustrate us, but we can’t help our fascination.

Alex Beachum, game director, talks more about the physics in a comment from RPS’s first post about Outer Wilds:

“It’s pretty close to Newtonian with a few massive cheats.

The player and ship are affected by gravity from every massive body (planetoids, moons, and the sun), but planets/moons are only affected by the Sun’s gravity (the Solar System’s too small for every planet to interact and keep a stable orbit).

We also added a bit of angular drag to the ship/player for the sake of usability, but the flight model is otherwise pretty realistic.”

Hofmann

Last few days and the upcoming week belong to already released games, so no #screenshotsaturday this time. Have fun playing all those titles, you cheap people everywhere;D

Too much time spent wit FEZ and I start to insult people Phil Fish style.

CzarTim

Last few days and the upcoming week belong to already released games, so no #screenshotsaturday this time. Have fun playing all those titles, you cheap people everywhere;D

Too much time spent wit FEZ and I start to insult people Phil Fish style.

feeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

q2wdu2bsj.gif

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
feeeeeeeeeeezzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Such a gem of a game. I know someone not buying the game because he doesnt want to support Phil Fish's doucheyness, but ... he really made something special with that game.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
YOU GUYS. This thread! I have found my people!

Quick rules of the thread:
  • Feel free to post impressions of any Indie game ever released, we just like talking about stuff.
  • I add games that release in the current month in next months thread, as long as someone posts them here and recommends them (or I find them interesting and add them myself)
  • Last week of the month, we do a thread voting on the games listed in the OP (overall impressions appreciated)
  • Have fun!

Oh and
  • You need to play SpaceChem to be allowed to enter the thread.

:p

I started Dear Esther this evening. I'm really not sure what to make of it yet. Is it a 'game' is it an 'experience', just a story? Will I love it? Hate it? I really don't know yet but it's certainly...different! I am starting to find it affecting though so that's encouraging.

I started Dear Esther this evening. I'm really not sure what to make of it yet. Is it a 'game' is it an 'experience', just a story? Will I love it? Hate it? I really don't know yet but it's certainly...different! I am starting to find it affecting though so that's encouraging.
From what I read, it's meant to be an experience. Not really a game beside walking, but you're meant to just appreciate the visual storytelling and soak in the atmosphere

Toma

What Badass said.

From what I read, it's meant to be an experience. Not really a game beside walking, but you're meant to just appreciate the visual storytelling and soak in the atmosphere

I considered it a short story where I was walking along the scenery instead of reading lines of a book, but its certainly not something for everyone.

Yes well it's certainly living up to that so far :). It's odd though; I keep walking into these derelict buildings and expecting to be able to read and/or pick up old diaries etc and then being surprised when the game doesn't let me! :)

I considered it a short story where I was walking along the scenery instead of reading lines of a book, but its certainly not something for everyone.

Yes, I was starting to get impression in my play session earlier. Will get back to it tomorrow; I'm certainly curious about the story now and I normally despise games that concentrate heavily on narrative. At least it's not bloody cut scenes!

Techies

Has someone played Private Infiltrator?

I know it's only one dollar at https://indiegamestand.com/ But with all these sales, I would like to know another opinion.

Thank you.

You can try it for yourself, send you a key via PM
Courtesy of Professor Slack.

Been talking to the developer over at Groupees via that chat channel. It appears that game hasn't sold much even with the bundles so very few people have actually played it. So it's gonna be hard to find another opinion, so I just asked him for a key.

Btw he send me 3 instead of one, who wants the other 2?

Wok

Been talking to the developer over at Groupees via that chat channel. It appears that game hasn't sold much even with the bundles so very few people have actually played it. So it's gonna be hard to find another opinion, so I just asked him for a key.

Just in case someone wants to upvote this game: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=92924211

Toma

Well if you still got a key, I wouldnt mind trying it.

Edit: If you only have one key left, give it to OFN below me ;)

I would love one if they're still going.

Indyana

Thank you! Much appreciated.

Techies

Well if you still got a key, I wouldnt mind trying it.

Edit: If you only have one key left, give it to OFN below me ;)

Ninja'ed one in the chat the day before, send it to you both.
Unfortunately I'm basically out of bandwith, so can't download all 700Meg of it.

If nothing catches my eye during the next days worth of steam sales I might give Operation Smash a go. Running round metroidvania environments with massive hammers is a good initial concept.

Also, thanks to Techies for the desura key. Appreciated.

Jobbs

Banned
Hey guys. My name is Matt, and for the last year or so, off and on, I've been making a game called Ghost Song. So far I've only been working alone.

I haven't come to this thread because I wasn't sure if I was supposed to, but Toma came and invited us to dump here, so what the hell.

shipgif.gif

This is a metroidvania, with one section focusing on characters and story, and setting the stage for the next section which is much more lonely and open, with lots of optional things to find and progress to a given area being locked by not having the appropriate ability. So far I've mostly just worked on the 2nd part, but the 1st part is quite important as it sets the stage for the game and gives meaning to the pay offs at the end.

rookcharleyss2.png

The idea behind the game is, at a basic level, somewhat reminiscent of The Crow, where a great tragedy happens (first act) and the player manages to come back as a ghost inhabiting a power suit to set some things right (second act). The planetoid Lorian 5 is a place of myth and legend, where those who explore its depths never seem to return. The story is based upon a family and crew who inadvertently end up there when their ship crashes.

People who die on this planet tend to become trapped as ghosts, separate from their bodies, which become twisted abominations. It should go without saying that fighting your own damn body is an inevitability in this game.

turnwitch2c.gif

Here are links to some more gifs if anyone is interested. Despite the above gifs, the majority of the game is subterranean.

http://www.ghostsonggame.com/miscd/droiddoor2.gif
http://www.ghostsonggame.com/miscd/tdroid.gif
http://www.ghostsonggame.com/miscd/secrets.gif
http://www.ghostsonggame.com/miscd/trap2.gif

Mechanically, the game has some things in common with Metroid. In addition, playing Dark Souls was a very formative experience for me as an aspiring game designer, so those who play this game will definitely experience some Dark Souls pangs (for example, the wandering NPCs who have stories of their own and pop up here and there -- I have one guy who is completely inspired by Siegmeyer of Catarina).

I can't say when it'll be done yet, there's still a good bit to do. I may have news on this front soon though.

Sorry about putting so much stuff. I tried to hold back some. Hope anyone likes it.

klinkcow

Neo Member
Hey guys. My name is Matt, and for the last year or so, off and on, I've been making a game called Ghost Song. So far I've only been working alone.

I haven't come to this thread because I wasn't sure if I was supposed to, but Toma came and invited us to dump here, so what the hell.

shipgif.gif

This looks excellent!

Let me know what music your doing for the game!

shipgif.gif

This is a metroidvania, with one section focusing on characters and story, and setting the stage for the next section which is much more lonely and open, with lots of optional things to find and progress to a given area being locked by not having the appropriate ability. So far I've mostly just worked on the 2nd part, but the 1st part is quite important as it sets the stage for the game and gives meaning to the pay offs at the end.

rookcharleyss2.png

The idea behind the game is, at a basic level, somewhat reminiscent of The Crow, where a great tragedy happens (first act) and the player manages to come back as a ghost inhabiting a power suit to set some things right (second act). The planetoid Lorian 5 is a place of myth and legend, where those who explore its depths never seem to return. The story is based upon a family and crew who inadvertently end up there when their ship crashes.

People who die on this planet tend to become trapped as ghosts, separate from their bodies, which become twisted abominations. It should go without saying that fighting your own damn body is an inevitability in this game.

turnwitch2c.gif

Here are links to some more gifs if anyone is interested. Despite the above gifs, the majority of the game is subterranean.

http://www.ghostsonggame.com/miscd/droiddoor2.gif
http://www.ghostsonggame.com/miscd/tdroid.gif
http://www.ghostsonggame.com/miscd/secrets.gif
http://www.ghostsonggame.com/miscd/trap2.gif

Mechanically, the game has some things in common with Metroid. In addition, playing Dark Souls was a very formative experience for me as an aspiring game designer, so those who play this game will definitely experience some Dark Souls pangs (for example, the wandering NPCs who have stories of their own and pop up here and there -- I have one guy who is completely inspired by Siegmeyer of Catarina).

I can't say when it'll be done yet, there's still a good bit to do. I may have news on this front soon though.

Sorry about putting so much stuff. I tried to hold back some. Hope anyone likes it.

Amazing work! Only viewing these gifs and reading the description I can say your project looks very promising, and being the single person working on it shows you have a lot of talent.

Jobbs

Banned
Amazing work! Only viewing these gifs and reading the description I can say your project looks very promising, and being the single person working on it shows you have a lot of talent.

Thank you guys.

Couple months ago I put up a sloppy little video walk through explaining a bit about how the game mechanics work.

Please keep in mind that this is already very dated in some respects. But it gives you an idea if you are curious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-qul0R60Gg

klinkcow

Neo Member
Thank you guys.

Couple months ago I put up a sloppy little video walk through explaining a bit about how the game mechanics work.

Please keep in mind that this is already very dated in some respects. But it gives you an idea if you are curious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-qul0R60Gg

I don't know if it's intentional, but the animation has a very nostalgic 80's cartoon/anime vibe. I love it! very stoked to see your progress on this.

shipgif.gif

Looks really nice, dude.

Toma

CARD HUNTER BETA! YES!

Sorry, Gnomoria! <toss>

Oh god, I completely forgot about it. NOW YOU REMINDED ME.

And thanks for coming over Jobbs and posting about it. Looks pretty amazing :)

KuroNeeko

shipgif.gif

Looks interesting. I'll be looking forward to future updates!

I like the visual style you got going there, as well as the cool grain filter you're rocking. What tools are you using to put the game together?

Oh god, I completely forgot about it. NOW YOU REMINDED ME.

And thanks for coming over Jobbs and posting about it. Looks pretty amazing :)

Turns out I can't play it at work because of our virgin tight security protocols. :/
So I went back to Gnomoria. Now I have to choose whether to spend my nightly gaming time at home playing Reus, Gnomoria, CARD HUNTER BETA, or Children of the Nile. :/

Never enough time.

Oh my god, this looks absolutely lovely! The presentation, mechanics, and ideas behind the game are checking off a lot of boxes that makes me love metroidvanias too. But the one thing I am curious the most about your project is the in-game map. Do you plan to have one in the style of a metroid game with path finding and a lot of space to explore?

Will be keeping an eye on this for sure.

Jobbs

Banned
Oh my god, this looks absolutely lovely! The presentation, mechanics, and ideas behind the game are checking off a lot of boxes that makes me love metroidvanias too. But the one thing I am curious the most about your project is the in-game map. Do you plan to have one in the style of a metroid game with path finding and a lot of space to explore?

Will be keeping an eye on this for sure.

Thanks for saying this, and thanks to all who gave feedback. My ego is fragile and important to getting anything done. :)

Re. map: I recognize the huge practical impact of this on players, and I also recognize the (in my opinion) fun feeling of mystery and lostness that comes from having no map. I have some ideas about how to implement a map, and I'm planning to have it only work in some areas, to give people guidance in the main areas of the game, but still give that feeling of urgency and tension while flying blind and being lost in other areas.

Re: tools: Up to now I've been developing the game in Stencyl 3.0 (think along the lines of game maker, construct 2, same basic idea). This is a tool primarily designed for making flash and mobile games, and when I started this it was nowhere near as big or ambitious as it has become. With that in mind I'm very interested in Unity and am actively looking at a way to make this happen. No promises yet.

Toma

Turns out I can't play it at work because of our virgin tight security protocols. :/
So I went back to Gnomoria. Now I have to choose whether to spend my nightly gaming time at home playing Reus, Gnomoria, CARD HUNTER BETA, or Children of the Nile. :/

Never enough time.

I recommend trying Reus first, just to see what my babbling is about. One nightly gaming session might be enough for that. Then do a short daily session of Card Hunter with 2-3 dungeons and go over into CotN, while playing Gnomoria at work. Profit!

So Operation Smash is a little disappointing to be honest. I'm finding the basic controls super floaty and the world just isn't very compelling to explore. All the areas so far have a disjointed feel that if you told me this was a randomly generated game I would have believed you. I'll stick a bit longer into it, but unless it impresses me real soon I can't recommend it.

Top Bottom