• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [July] Now Voting - Post 874!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Speaking of Steam sales:

Steam sale started and the best deal is:
Humble Weekly Bundle
This Link

Avernum 1-6 plus remakes, Avadon, geneforge 1-5 and nethergate for 3$

Damn fine games if you are into RPGs.

I absolutely cannot recommend that humble bundle enough. I do have a bit of a personal interest because the Exile series was one of the first set of games I got really heavily into and they led me down the RPG path that I've really been on ever since. But yeah, Spiderweb produces game after game of deep involved WRPG action and their is a hell of a lot of content in there. If I could only recommend one of them, I would say get it for Avadon, that was a really strong title and you essentially play as a baddie which is pretty cool.

Viscera Cleanup Detail - The space-station janitor simulator
It's a freeware game, also on Greenlight. Looks cool and different
http://www.runestorm.com/viscera

july10_08.jpg

july10_04.jpg

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I'll probably end up creating a "overlooked Indie Games recommendation thread" or something along those lines for the Steam sale. Just a heads up, since we probably will divert some discussion for the steam deals and steam games over there.

Had Latin in school, but now, after few years, I remember only those phrases and nothing more:D

Heh, I have the same issue with French and German :). I would have loved to have taken Latin at school but they had stopped it as a compulsory subject by the time I got to school. I think they're bringing it back now ironically. One of these days I'll take Latin lessons; that'll teach 'em, hah!

Viscera Cleanup Detail - The space-station janitor simulator
It's a freeware game, also on Greenlight. Looks cool and different
http://www.runestorm.com/viscera

july10_08.jpg

july10_04.jpg

Oh nice find, thanks MB :).

I'll probably end up creating a "overlooked Indie Games recommendation thread" or something along those lines for the Steam sale. Just a heads up, since we probably will divert some discussion for the steam deals and steam games over there.

I look forward to it Toma. Oh and for what it's worth, I share your frustration with the Steam thread but what can you do? I find it's better just to let them have their fun and wait it out until the madness is over. People will always do what they want to do ultimately. The Steam thread is usually a bit of an investment to keep on top of but it's more or less unpossible [sic] now.

Toma

Steam Sales Indie Game discussion thread up:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=621131

We'll divert some attention over there for the time being. Currently only the daily and flash deals included, but I'll fill in the blanks over time, otherwise the thread wouldnt be up until doomsday comes around. Feel free to hop in there, recommending Indie Games on sale or commenting on the ones currently daily/flash deals (like Don't Starve and Little Inferno).

Toma

Well, my congratulations, be sure to let her/him/them play outside sometimes, and not only videogames.

You and your horrible, horrible advice all the time.

Decided to play Hotline Miami to see what all comotion is about, and I can say I kind understand people loving this game so much. Unfortunatelly when I play the game I start to get headaches and nauseated, don't know the reason, I think it's the colors or that effect of the scenary "moving". :/

Zach

Hey, guys. Not sure if this is the best place to post this, but here goes:

I have a friend who has limited experience with video games. She loves and still plays Super Nintendo games like Super Mario World and Donkey Kong Country, but I suggested she try out Thomas Was Alone and Little Inferno during the recent Humble Bundle. She paid a buck and downloaded the games (actually, I had to help her with that... not too computer savvy, this one). Anyway, long story short, she LOVED both games and is now looking for more suggestions. Nothing immediately comes to mind, but I figured you guys would have a million suggestions.

So what do you think? Based on her love for Mario, Donkey Kong, Thomas Was Alone and Little Inferno, what indie game(s) fit the bill?

Oh, and nothing overcomplicated. And the cheaper, the better. Thanks!

Hofmann

Hi, it's a perfect place to ask this kind of question.

Something toyish, similar to Little Inferno, well right of the top of my head I would recommend to your friend Botanicula, Windosill and Gorogoa. Gorogoa is more of a demo, but the novelty of it makes the other Point & Click games look rather bland in comparison. As for more ''gamey'' titles, check out Waking Mars and maybe Papo & Yo, which reminds me lot of cult PS2 game ICO. In terms of mechanics both are pretty simple, so she should be fine. All of these games, except Gorogoa, which is free btw, are available on Steam, and now, as you probably know, it's a good time to snatch them.

Burt

I have a friend who has limited experience with video games. She loves and still plays Super Nintendo games like Super Mario World and Donkey Kong Country, but I suggested she try out Thomas Was Alone and Little Inferno during the recent Humble Bundle. She paid a buck and downloaded the games (actually, I had to help her with that... not too computer savvy, this one). Anyway, long story short, she LOVED both games and is now looking for more suggestions. Nothing immediately comes to mind, but I figured you guys would have a million suggestions.

So what do you think? Based on her love for Mario, Donkey Kong, Thomas Was Alone and Little Inferno, what indie game(s) fit the bill?

Braid? Has the platform mechanics and a narrative that's given about as much weight as the one in TWA. Limbo might be a good choice too.

Fez can hurt your brain, but it it's not "hard" in the traditional video game sense. She might like it if she's a thinker.

Toma

Braid? Has the platform mechanics and a narrative that's given about as much weight as the one in TWA. Limbo might be a good choice too.

Fez can hurt your brain, but it it's not "hard" in the traditional video game sense. She might like it if she's a thinker.

I think FEZ and Braid are both a little too gamey for now, but I cant think of anything atm since I'll be leaving in a few minutes.

Toma

Just a thought, she might like Starseed Pilgrim for the playfulness, but it's unfortunately a bit on the expensive side. I'll try to think of some cheaper ones over the weekend.
And now I am off. Cya later guys, don't burn the thread while I am away.

Zach

The Stanley Parable - This one is first-person, I believe. Unfortunately first-person games make her nauseated, so that's a no go. Sorry. I should've mentioned that.

Botanicula - She likes the art style and that it's "puzzley". She also loves that it reminds her of Thomas Was Alone. This might be a buy.

Windosill - She thinks it's beautiful and likes that there are puzzles. Might be a buy.

Gorogoa - She's really impressed by the art style. And likes the description on the website. I'll surely download this for her, as it's free. :D

Waking Mars - She said "I appreciate it for what it is but I think it would stress me out. I do like the jetpack, though."

Papo & Yo - She watched me play the demo awhile back and seemed interested in the story. Not sure if she'd like the gameplay.

Braid - I think this one would be too hard for her.

Limbo - She watched me play about half of this awhile ago and she got to the point where she said it was too scary to watch (she's 28 years old >_>) so we stopped.

Fez - I think this would be way too much for her right now. It was a lot for me and I play a ton of games.

Starseed Pilgrim - The part of the Steam description that she liked: "a game about tending a symphonic garden, exploring space, and embracing fate." The part she didn't like: "You are a refugee, building your own world away from the spreading darkness." She thinks it'll be stressful, so I think it's a pass.

Thanks for all of these suggestions! She wants to sleep on it before she gets anything, but she was thrilled that people were suggesting games for her. It was pretty cute. If you guys think of any others (one of the reasons I posted all of this is to further demonstrate her tastes), please do not hesitate to suggest away. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Thanks again!

Hofmann

Waking Mars - She said "I appreciate it for what it is but I think it would stress me out. I do like the jetpack, though."

It's a quite gentle ride, not stressful at all - gardening comes to mind - and definitely less demanding than Thomas Was Alone.

These impressions make me think that she may like Trauma, Auditorium and Kyoto (free), so let her check them out too.

Oh, and Small Worlds.

Thanks again!

No problem.

So Humans Must Answer has been released and with the steam sale just started I can't think of a better time to launch. Screenshot:
http://sumomgames.com/ Demo and Trailer on site

I haven't played the demo, so I don't know much about this one, but if it is as good as its trailer makes it out to be I might just give it a purchase.

This and your subsequent post are a really nice way to start the day :D.

How about Pid and Rochard. I only played the demos yesterday for the first time and have not played the full games yet but the are both 2D games/platformers, the mechanics seem quite straight forward, they're not scary [Limbo IS scary!] have aesthetically pleasing art design and seem amusing too. Worth a look I would think, especially as both have demos on Steam.

Good luck; hope she finds plenty more games she falls in love with :). Oh and well done you for helping her out :).

Dascu

Today's stuff for #screenshotsaturday

I've been working on some new enemies, such as the big Spider you can see there. I also tried out a first-person mode and it seems feasible to put it in the game as an option. Perhaps even Oculus Rift support in the future, since that seems to be very popular lately, and could definitely benefit atmospheric horror games.

Also a word on the Greenlight process so far. (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=157945114) Decent bit of comments and feedback for now, and a lot of them have been positive. I wasn't surprised to see divisive reactions on the graphics and the trailer which didn't have a lot of substantial gameplay footage. I was surprised by the waves of requests for Mac, Linux and a variety of languages though. Traffic on the page has expectedly decreased, and will probably drop off even more once my entry is out of the front-page. At that point, I will have to start advertising on other sites and communities.

Alpha build is in the final stages and I hope to put out gameplay footage next week.

Toma

The Stanley Parable - This one is first-person, I believe. Unfortunately first-person games make her nauseated, so that's a no go. Sorry. I should've mentioned that.

Botanicula - She likes the art style and that it's "puzzley". She also loves that it reminds her of Thomas Was Alone. This might be a buy.

Windosill - She thinks it's beautiful and likes that there are puzzles. Might be a buy.

Gorogoa - She's really impressed by the art style. And likes the description on the website. I'll surely download this for her, as it's free. :D

Papo & Yo - She watched me play the demo awhile back and seemed interested in the story. Not sure if she'd like the gameplay.

Braid - I think this one would be too hard for her.

Limbo - She watched me play about half of this awhile ago and she got to the point where she said it was too scary to watch (she's 28 years old >_>) so we stopped.

Fez - I think this would be way too much for her right now. It was a lot for me and I play a ton of games.

Starseed Pilgrim - The part of the Steam description that she liked: "a game about tending a symphonic garden, exploring space, and embracing fate." The part she didn't like: "You are a refugee, building your own world away from the spreading darkness." She thinks it'll be stressful, so I think it's a pass.

Thanks for all of these suggestions! She wants to sleep on it before she gets anything, but she was thrilled that people were suggesting games for her. It was pretty cute. If you guys think of any others (one of the reasons I posted all of this is to further demonstrate her tastes), please do not hesitate to suggest away. I'll keep an eye on this thread.

Thanks again!

Just a quick heads up that Waking Mars felt anything but stressful in the first... 1-2 hours I played. Maybe someone else can elaborate on the later stages.

Hofmann

Just a quick heads up that Waking Mars felt anything but stressful in the first... 1-2 hours I played. Maybe someone else can elaborate on the later stages.

It's the same kind of pleasant feeling through the whole game. Of course it provides a bit more of a challenge, when you try to achieve everything that system has to offer, but it's absolutely not required to finish the game.

Zach

You guys are awesome! Just an update on where we are:

I've got her all set up on Steam and gifted her the Amanita Collection (Botanicula, Machinarium and Samorost2). It was five bucks for three games. I figured that she'd surely like at least one. She just started up Botanicula and is already heavily invested in it after like ten minutes. Haha... So we've got our first winner!

Anyway, I'm trying not to overwhelm the girl, so here's my running list based off your suggestions:

Purchased:
Amanita Collection (Botanicula, Machinarium and Samorost2)

Soon:
Windosill
Gorogoa

May revisit:
Waking Mars

Pending discussion:
Trauma
Auditorium
Kyoto
Small Worlds
Pid
Rochard

I've got her all set up on Steam and gifted her the Amanita Collection (Botanicula, Machinarium and Samorost2). It was five bucks for three games. I figured that she'd surely like at least one. She just started up Botanicula and is already heavily invested in it after like ten minutes. Haha... So we've got our first winner!

Anyway, I'm trying not to overwhelm the girl, so here's my running list based off your suggestions:

Purchased:

Soon:
Windosill
Gorogoa

May revisit:
Waking Mars

Pending discussion:
Trauma
Auditorium
Kyoto
Small Worlds
Pid
Rochard

Awesome :D. Good job Zach.

Toma

Purchased:

Soon:
Windosill
Gorogoa

May revisit:
Waking Mars

Pending discussion:
Trauma
Auditorium
Kyoto
Small Worlds
Pid
Rochard

Kyoto is more of a short relaxing toy. Something to enjoy for 15-20 minutes. Try it yourself! Definitely worth playing, but I dont see why you shouldnt just let her play it during a gaming break ;)

drizzle

Axel Hertz
Oh that's right. Candybox is a game.

I left it running on my server last time I played it.... I wonder how many candies I have by now...

M1dNc4x.png

Oh...

Toma

How is Windosill? Looks like Proteus.

It's cool, it's a little less abstract then Proteus in the sense it is more of a series of puzzle rooms rather then an exploration sim type thing. It's a mega short game, doubt it would last anyone longer then an hour even if they got stuck on every puzzle in the game but it has this real cool tangible feel that no other game has really come close to and it is worth experiencing for that. And it looks pretty which helps it case too.

Hofmann

It's really interesting to read opinions of someone outside of the gaming circle, so keep'em comin'.

It's cool, it's a little less abstract then Proteus in the sense it is more of a series of puzzle rooms rather then an exploration sim type thing. It's a mega short game, doubt it would last anyone longer then an hour even if they got stuck on every puzzle in the game but it has this real cool tangible feel that no other game has really come close to and it is worth experiencing for that. And it looks pretty which helps it case too.

Speaking of which guys, play Feed the Head, if you haven't tried it yet.

Hofmann

I have one question regarding FEZ - is there point of no return somewhere?
I've reached star gate an I don't know if I should continue or go back and find what's left. Btw, I'm seven hours in and the game is awesome so far

Edit: got an answer somewhere else.

Top Bottom