• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [June] Now Voting - Post 666

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
That is a ridiculous amount of titles. I need some filter man!

That program was/is supposed to do that:
dJjPA9e.jpg
W5cZCNn.jpg
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=57495778&postcount=364

Currently you can check for average ratings by us (GAF) and see which might be worth checking out with impressions listed. Next thing I'll implement is an overall ratings average list and a "per monthly thread" list, so that it could possible help choosing games to play for each month. I want to include these functions at some point in June.

The final step was to have the program give you customized recommendations based on your ratings, but we'll need more data for that, because otherwise I cant test. For that we need more participants voting on games in the program!

(Definitely check out Reus, Gunpoint, Dust:An Elysian Tail, The Swapper, Fibrillation, Rogue Legacy. And then just squeeze in how much time you got left, most of the free and demo games are rather short)

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I guess I'll have to borrow my wife's laptop.

You can grab the free demo now and the full version releases in 3 days, I cheated a bit by already including it, but I know its going to me my favourite this month, so whatever. So good. So, so good.

Toma

Added LMA:

Leaf Me Alone - Free (PC, Browser)
sC0W3kj.jpg

http://bartbonte.com/portal/leafmealone.html

“A “minimalist” metroidvania (if there is such a thing). We tried to focus on the feel of the world and the ambience to make it seem like a nice place to wander around.” Lovely world and abilities that are based on the setting. Fabulous little game that got created from LD, reminds me a bit of Treasure Adventure Island.

Hofmann

I noted yesterday, after my fiance set a bus full of screaming children ablaze, that she seems to be a very good candidate for indie games. I can't get her to play games like Valkyria Chronicles, Ni No Kuni, Uncharted, etc, but she loves Little Inferno and actually finished To the Moon.

I wonder what exactly it is about indies that differentiate themselves so much in her mind; she doesn't know the difference between the two, she just gravitates towards indies.

In this case it's not about being indie or not, whatever it means, it just seems like your fiance doesn't like games - games in a competitive manner, set by hard rules and rigid systems. From the short description you wrote, I believe she would choose Heavy Rain over Super Meat Boy easily and it's nothing wrong in it.

So don't worry and let her play what she likes - there're tons of notgames, interactive toys/experiences listed in this and previous threads to pick out and enjoy something different.

Toma

I could help with the list for this month.

That would be ace. I dont know when I'll exactly get to it, but I'll make sure to add the "filter by monthly thread"-feature this month. That should help a lot going through stuff we missed every month.

dto1138

Neo Member
I'm reposting this here after having posted it in the wrong thread.

Greetings NeoGAF community. My name is David O'Toole, I'm the developer of 2x0ng. Now that my account is approved, I wanted to say Thank You for your kind comments and feedback about my game. :) You inspired me to do some more frame-rate optimizations so that the game runs smoothly for most users; there is still room for improvement, that's the nice thing about open-source style development---version numbers :)

I'm glad you enjoyed 2x0ng! I'm looking forward to lurking around on #personagaf and hopefully discussing some games. (I hear there's a new Armored Core coming?)

I just saw the May vote tally, thanks everyone who played/voted/discussed :)

-david

Toma

Going to hop off to bed for now, will make some final adjustments tomorrow, but as I said, if you see something missing, let me know.

Other than that, have fun guys! Tons of great games this month.

Toma

Also, people (other than the regulars) should post more in these threads and not only lurk if you want to keep these threads. All of you invisible lurkers, you.

Hofmann

Going to hop off to bed for now, will make some final adjustments tomorrow, but as I said, if you see something missing, let me know.

Other than that, have fun guys! Tons of great games this month.

Played through almost all of the free games, so I have to think what to buy next. I'm leaning towards The Swapper, it looks pretty amazing.

And don't forget you've won the game from the pile:D

Toma

Played through almost all of the free games, so I have to think what to buy next. I'm leaning towards The Swapper, it looks pretty amazing.

And don't forget you've won the game from the pile:D

Shhh, I am not winning anything. The one making the contest is never allowed to win anything, its always in the fine print :p The other winner should get his win over the weekend.

Let me know how you like The Swapper guys, I'll post some impressions tomorrow about Sentinel (the music/rhythm tower defense game), since I decided to buy it.

Souvenir at #2, nice!

And yes, go buy The Swapper. Official thread here. Mix of Moon and 2001, you won't regret this clone claymation puzzler.

So here's the list of games I'll need to try out:

Chasm
Fragments of Him
Fragment
Fibrillation
Gunpoint
ilamentia
Icefishing V
Jazzpunk
Save the Date
Scheherazade Machine

Thanks, Toma!

Hofmann

And yes, go buy The Swapper. Official thread here. Mix of Moon and 2001, you won't regret this clone claymation puzzler.

Yeah, bought it from fellow Gaffer.

And if you like clay animated games check out the brilliant Blues for Mittavinda. Be sure to finish it - I don't want to spoil the ending, but it's one of a kind.

oOL1iJl.jpg

Blues for Mittavinda is a game about chaos for the Game Jolt competition.
My interpretation of chaos is that it's subtle, ubiquitous and omnipresent. I can
think of nothing more chaotic than a bird landing on the branch of a snow-laden tree.
Of course I can think of an infinity of things equally as chaotic; a still sea, scree and shale,
a calm sky, weather changing, the constant barrage of thoughts that we live with.

CzarTim

If anyone tries Folk Tale early access, please post your impressions. It looks interesting, but I don't want to plop down $20 to find out.

Yeah, bought it from fellow Gaffer.

And if you like clay animated games check out the brilliant Blues for Mittavinda. Be sure to finish it - I don't want to spoil the ending, but it's one of a kind.

oOL1iJl.jpg

Will do! Looks great!

I played Love Will Tear Us Apart, but got stuck on that silly maze. I got the guy on the left to get into the hole, but the guy on the right has opposite controls and I have no idea how to do it. Frustrating, so gave up on it.

Hofmann

Will do! Looks great!

I played Love Will Tear Us Apart, but got stuck on that silly maze. I got the guy on the left to get into the hole, but the guy on the right has opposite controls and I have no idea how to do it. Frustrating, so gave up on it.

From what I understand
you can reach the light with only one of them

Maedhros

Hey Toma:

- Do you have a list with every game you posted on these threads?
- Doesn't Slenderman (remake) count as indie (asked that back in may or april)?

Raxum

So, this month I've already got 2 games to vote for: Chasm and Rogue Legacy. Time to try out a few others.

Also, I found this interesting game on steam that I hadn't seen elsewhere called Blade Symphony. It's a sword dueling game that is in early access at the moment for $15. Having quite a bit of fun with it with some friends but it is very ping-dependant from what I've played so far. Bad ping seems to make it easier to win. However, most of the unlocks in the game are cosmetic, so your advancement in rankings is entirely skill-based, depending on your character type and sword type (which determine your movesets). Only has 3 available characters so far and 4 sword types(with multiple unlockable swords per type). Each character has 4 stances, fast, balanced and heavy, and you can combo easily between stances, throw shurikens, parry, block, dodge, etc.

Edit: Just played some of what has been released of Legendum, and currently it is VERY alpha, I would actually say pre-alpha. Very basic combat and loot system, no collision detection, very basic spells, and manual mob spawning. It's really unbalanced, still could be fun once it gets a bit more polish.

my god... it's beautiful.

Looking forward into cracking into all of these, plus all that stuff from that awesome humble bundle.

Did I win the Burn and Turn contest?

Was going through some old keys that I never activated on steam and found a duplicate.

EDIT: I can't get the email thing to work. send me a pm if someone wants Titan's Quest or Gish key

A prison RPG...i've always wanted someone to try that because I think it would be interesting to be stuck in a cell with the most violent criminals

Someone pointed this out to me but it looks like a cross between a SWAT game and planning game: Door Kickers. I think it's like 8 bucks to buy into the alpha. I've only really skimmed the premise of the game though, want to look into it later.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=133208652

I've got that, the alpha is fairly interesting although it is a little barebones-y at the moment. Hard to tell the direction the final game is gonna take from the alpha for sure. There is a demo out now if you are interested;

http://inthekillhouse.com/buy/

Also, great opener Toma. Looks like some real awesome games this month, one thing I can say for sure is that voting is gonna be a bloodbath.

Toma

I've got that, the alpha is fairly interesting although it is a little barebones-y at the moment. Hard to tell the direction the final game is gonna take from the alpha for sure. There is a demo out now if you are interested;

http://inthekillhouse.com/buy/

Also, great opener Toma. Looks like some real awesome games this month, one thing I can say for sure is that voting is gonna be a bloodbath.

I fully agree with what you wrote about Doorkickers, its a decent game but misses features to make it really interesting to play. They recently released the next alpha version, so I should go back to see what they added.

I fully agree with what you wrote about Doorkickers, its a decent game but misses features to make it really interesting to play. They recently released the next alpha version, so I should go back to see what they added.

It is worth it if you haven't touched the game since alpha 1. The features like being able to lay down go codes and strafing not being a major hassle made the concept of planing out out entire missions possible which was a big improvement from the first alpha which I just ended up winging it most of the time. With the most recent release they've made it so you can actural save your game which might just inspire me to dig into getting the high scores.

Toma

Toma

Kinda crazy how fast the thread falls off the first 2 pages.

red731

Just tried Souvenir(no ending implemented yet, alt'd f'fourd out). Great looking game with pretty nice premise. Just reading what is in the world is like picking pieces of the person.

Leaf me Alone - wow, must finish it still, but was pretty great!

Gonna try Lumiere out next!

Also Memory of Broken Dimension is great. Must still fix the code and progress further tho (continuation of cmd line).

Toma

Just tried Souvenir(no ending implemented yet, alt'd f'fourd out). Great looking game with pretty nice premise. Just reading what is in the world is like picking pieces of the person.

Leaf me Alone - wow, must finish it still, but was pretty great!

Gonna try Lumiere out next!

Also Memory of Broken Dimension is great. Must still fix the code and progress further tho (continuation of cmd line).

Welcome to this thread! Nice to see some others joining and writing impressions. The more people post, the more it helps the devs as well ;)

It's a shame, but to be fair indie games sort of take a back seat when new consoles and E3 are upon us. We'll try to keep it active though.

True, but I feel like I constantly need to nag GAF to not ignore this thread. Not planning on giving up yet :p

Moobabe

Kinda crazy how fast the thread falls off the first 2 pages.

50 post peasant.

I don't know if these count for this month - but all I seem to be doing is buying Indie stuff on Steam.

This month I'll have bought/played: Receiver, Reus, Kerbal Space Program, Kentucky Route Zero Act 2, The Swapper, Planetary Annihilation and GunPoint.

Fuck.

Toma

I subscribe to these threads and I read every post, but I probably don't contribute as much as I should. Apologies.

No need to apologise, I just want to let people know that them participating in these threads is helpful for the developers and us too, no matter how "unimportant" people might deem their opinions. I think some people dont post because they dont think its important if they post or not. Let it be known that it matters! You matter! So play games and post here damn it :p

Toma

50 post peasant.

I don't know if these count for this month - but all I seem to be doing is buying Indie stuff on Steam.

This month I'll have bought/played: Receiver, Reus, Kerbal Space Program, Kentucky Route Zero Act 2, The Swapper, Planetary Annihilation and GunPoint.

Fuck.

I am pretty sure one of the mods said that 50 posts is (a bit) less taxing on the server load, so the 100 posts race are actually hazardous to our community =p

Moobabe

I am pretty sure one of the mods said that 50 posts is (a bit) less taxing on the server load, so the 100 posts race are actually hazardous to our community =p

I choose to live my life on the edge.

So Toma, what are YOU playing?

Anyone have any opinion on The Swapper? I am slightly interested in it, but I feel it might fall through the cracks a little with Gunpoint so close to release.

Top Bottom