• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [June] Now Voting - Post 666

So many games! This month is looking better than May.

Chasm is still not available (aside from the playable demo), right? Really looking forward to that one.

There's a positively ancient game I wanted to mention, not sure if it's been on any of these threads but it's pretty fun and addicting. It's ROM Check Fail. It already has its own NeoGAF thread (from 2008!) that barely reached 41 posts, so perhaps it'll benefit from a bit of exposure. There's an online version now.

The premise is that every few seconds, the game changes to a random mix of music, enemies, obstacles and player character/ship/car from classic games like Super Mario, Zelda, Asteroids, Spy Hunter, Space Invaders, Gauntlet, Pacman, etc. The cool things are that:
a) each element plays according to the rules of their game, and
b) enemy, player and obstacle positions are preserved between swaps. So you can be Mario trying to stomp Gauntlet ghosts one second, then the next one you're Link trying to slash bouncing Pang bubbles.

By now I'm sure 99% here will have played it, but for those of you that haven't, it's really worth your time. Not sure if it's far too old to be included in the thread, tho?

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
It's really, REALLY good. The OP is pretty small but everyone is enjoying it.

My fear is that I dont feel too much engaged from what I read because it focusses so much on the setting/feeling. Highly anticipated games always tend to get lots of hype in the OT, but for example I feel like I wasted my money on Monaco, because I expected something that plays similar to Gunpoint and left quite disappointed.

Still on the fence with The Swapper as well, guess I'll wait until someone writes up a more detailed post about it here :p

Someone pointed this out to me but it looks like a cross between a SWAT game and planning game: Door Kickers. I think it's like 8 bucks to buy into the alpha. I've only really skimmed the premise of the game though, want to look into it later.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=133208652

OMG this looks amazing! Downloading alpha demo now.

My fear is that I dont feel too much engaged from what I read because it focusses so much on the setting/feeling. Highly anticipated games always tend to get lots of hype in the OT, but for example I feel like I wasted my money on Monaco, because I expected something that plays similar to Gunpoint and left quite disappointed.

Still on the fence with The Swapper as well, guess I'll wait until someone writes up a more detailed post about it here :p

The Swapper has excellent puzzles and lets you figure it out yourself with giving you very few tools, so you know it's damn well possible without getting frustrated. It's not great just for the aesthetics, which do go a long way to easily sell the game.

Also, doing a conga line dance with your clone bros is nice.
ibpTlpcBSoIUE6.gif

Anyone have any opinion on The Swapper? I am slightly interested in it, but I feel it might fall through the cracks a little with Gunpoint so close to release.

There are more opinions in the OT.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Just had my first game of The Yawhg with my girlfriend. Really cute game, although I'd have a hard time to justify the 10$ for others because it also asks for a very specific game setup (having a friend playing with you) and is not that long. I assume you can retry it a few times until you manage to give the game a happy end, but hmmm , 10$ is a bit hard to justify, although its very pretty and felt really nice. I liked it, but I dont think I'd recommend buying it for 10$. If it ever pops up in a bundle, its certainly worth a look however.

Toma

About that Sentinel game:

Its tower defense, so I can see how people might be fed up with a bit, but its surprisingly challenging (including bonus challenge levels), stylish and the music is REALLY good. If you like that kind of house-y music, the game is really a treat for your ears. Glad I paid the 10$ for it. Just lost 1 hour to the first few levels, I actually wish I'd get these tracks as a soundtrack download. Its good enough to actually make my voting list this month and that I consider creating a thread for it.

Vert boil

Released last night,

Paradise Perfect Boat Rescue - 2.95$ (PC. Mac/Linux coming soon.)
screen_001.png

http://paradiseperfectboatrescue.com/

Boating, Crazy Taxi style. You can hold four stranded peeps at a time and your task is to return them to their home island in the fastest time possible.
First Chapter has been completed and the game will grow with input from the userbase. All future updates will be free.

Level editor is included but won't be ready for a few days.

dorkimoe

If anyone tries Folk Tale early access, please post your impressions. It looks interesting, but I don't want to plop down $20 to find out.

This. It looks really cool. But i want to make sure its easy enough for a noob with severe adhd who doesnt read instructions

Also, people (other than the regulars) should post more in these threads and not only lurk if you want to keep these threads. All of you invisible lurkers, you.

You got me!

Though I prefer to remain nameless and in the shadows, I will, out of gratitude, comply with this request. Thank you for the amazing amount of work you continue to put toward showcasing some of the better games I have played and in discovering others I would not have otherwise known about. You seem to be one of the, if not the, most vocal and tireless champions of indie games. Personally, I prefer rewarding those development studios with what I can from my limited gaming budget.

Now, to contribute!

Gunpoint (demo version) is fantastic and I can't wait to get my hands on the full game. I've been trying to champion it to my friends as well.

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing which is an ARPG recently released by Neocore. You can read more impressions here but I don't want to crosspost too much.

Save The Date, which I may be late to the party on and found out about through a post on RPS (which I've thus far avoided actually reading in order to not spoil myself) has made me laugh out loud a couple times with response and how it plays with conventions. Go in blind, if you can. I do so dislike spoilers though...

Consider this a vote in action for keeping these threads. Keep up the stellar work and I'll work to get more involved, but, to be honest, I tend to lurk.

Toma

Consider this a vote in action for keeping these threads. Keep up the stellar work and I'll work to get more involved, but, to be honest, I tend to lurk.

Thanks for posting, its nice to read what other people are playing currently, and really, people dont need to post every day, but a few people more who post once a week would make a big difference for the content and the activity of the thread. Besides, I think the "active" community isnt really growing currently, and if we only end up having 3 people post in this thread, we wont need to continue updating these threads. Additionally to the fact that every bump gives potential sales to the developers.

Thanks for posting! You are dismissed again into your shadowy corner.. for now ;)

The Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing which is an ARPG recently released by Neocore. You can read more impressions here but I don't want to crosspost too much.

Ahh, thanks for reminding me of that. I like my gothic horror and Diablo so that game did spike my interest, although it came out about the same time as Gunslinger if I remember correctly so I couldn't really justify buying both. I'm likely definitely gonna pick it up once I get a dry patch of games (which unfortunately judging from these topics is likely to never happen.)

Satch

Banned
I'm going to have to start posting in these threads. I've been looking for new games that don't break my bank, but allow me to break up my Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate playing. It helps that many of these are different from what I could hope to find in the mainstream.

I'll try to become a thread staple.
ineXynzPIjk9v.gif

Toma

I'm going to have to start posting in these threads. I've been looking for new games that don't break my bank, but allow me to break up my Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate playing. It helps that many of these are different from what I could hope to find in the mainstream.

I'll try to become a thread staple.
ineXynzPIjk9v.gif

Welcome ;) Any of the Indie games from the last months that you enjoyed? If you havent read the older threads, make sure to check the top voted games each month at the beginning of the april, may and june threads.

razu

Hey! Not sure if this is the right thread, (please delete and point me in the right direction if not), but if you want a free copy of Chopper Mike for PC/Mac, just email CHOPPER GAF to vamflax@vamflax.com.

Details here: http://vamflax.com/ChopperMike/ChopperMikeInfo.html

It looks like this:
JLVOU9Vl.png

0oLZavgl.png

It's a helicopter time-trial game. It starts off easy... and gets somewhat challenging later on!

Enjoy!! And tell anyone you want! :D

(Also available on iOS/Android, but I can't give those away so easily - feel free to purchase if you enjoy the free game!!).

Concept17

Any recommendations for co-op indie titles? Not familiar with most of these games, and my friend and I are looking for something.

Dascu

Malebolgia is planned for a PC release this Fall. I also still haven't decided whether to put the title all in caps or not.

Anyway, here's the latest from #screenshotsaturday:

Toma

Malebolgia is planned for a PC release this Fall. I also still haven't decided whether to put the title all in caps or not.

That style is really lovely. Probably looks sweet in motion too. Make a gif! ;)

Any recommendations for co-op indie titles? Not familiar with most of these games, and my friend and I are looking for something.

Online? Something like Path of Exile? Offline? Something like BroForce? Most Indies arent MP unfortunately, and COOP is rare for every game category basically.

Toma

Ahhhhhhh, I want the soundtrack of Sentinel!

The dev just got back to me and apparently the download is the reward for getting all the medals ingame.

... guess I'll need to create a thread to talk with others about getting that soundtrack :p

Hofmann

They seem like they desperately need some hug.

But seriously, the game looks better with every new screen you release, great work.

You got me!

Save The Date, which I may be late to the party on and found out about through a post on RPS (which I've thus far avoided actually reading in order to not spoil myself) has made me laugh out loud a couple times with response and how it plays with conventions. Go in blind, if you can. I do so dislike spoilers though...

Great impressions, will have to go blind too. Welcome!

Toma

Great impressions, will have to go blind too. Welcome!

Yeah, that was a cute little game. Surprisingly interesting. Took me a while to figure out how to finish it.

Yeah, that was a cute little game. Surprisingly interesting. Took me a while to figure out how to finish it.

"Finish it"?

From what I understood you are supossed to only close the game and make your own ending. Then there's the I_AM_A_HACKER file too if that's not enough closure for you.

Toma

"Finish it"?

From what I understood you are supossed to only close the game and make your own ending. Then there's the I_AM_A_HACKER file too if that's not enough closure for you.

Sure, I consider that an ending :p

There was an indie horror game a while ago with a similar mechanic.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I should post more in this thread. 2/3rds of what I play are indies these days.

Currently playing Aquaria. I know I'm very late! I really love it. It's so good. It hits all the right buttons for me. Exploration, mixing items together to make stuff, a script to decypher (I have a few pages of "translations"). Should have played it earlier, but better late than never I suppose.

edit: and the music is so good.

Toma

Just played Save the Date. That was hilarious! Definitely recommended for replays. Thanks, Markoff_Chaney :)

What was "your" ending? How often did you replay?

Also, people (other than the regulars) should post more in these threads and not only lurk if you want to keep these threads. All of you invisible lurkers, you.

Well, time to get posting then!

Sorry for not posting more/sooner, btw. I like a lot of indie games and I love what you're doing with your monthly threads, but I also have a pretty big backlog of indies and seeing this thread always slightly intimidates/depresses me. There are soooo many games I would probably really like, but I can't really justify buying.

I'll get the fuck over it and start posting, though.

One more thing, is this thread specifically for current/future indie games, or can I post impressions for stuff I cleared of my backlog too?

Hofmann

First Screenshot Saturday post in June.

Papercade - From what I see comparison to Little Big Planet is not that far off. Players create virtual worlds and games out of paper, cardboard and pieces of their lives.

Lune – The game is showing up here almost every week, but I really like the otherworldly atmosphere pouring out of those screens.

Haarmu – Half tower defense game half chemistry lesson. You'll have to answer chemistry related questions and use this knowledge strategically to aid you in your quest.

Project Prisma – Challenging 2.5D sidescrolling platformer, where you can modify physical properties of the world, which gives you different abilities, like being able to run faster, jump higher, etc.

Murias – Pixelated pyramids to add a bit of mystery to the adventure.

Backspace – Trapped in hazardous virtual reality; solve puzzles and fight your way out through hordes of enemies in Super Stardust HD style.

The rest probably tomorrow. Have to finish Thomas Was Alone to start The Swapper - don't like playing two games at the same time.

Toma

Well, time to get posting then!

Sorry for not posting more/sooner, btw. I like a lot of indie games and I love what you're doing with your monthly threads, but I also have a pretty big backlog of indies and seeing this thread always slightly intimidates/depresses me. There are soooo many games I would probably really like, but I can't really justify buying.

I'll get the fuck over it and start posting, though.

One more thing, is this thread specifically for current/future indie games, or can I post impressions for stuff I cleared of my backlog too?

We talk about anything Indie Game related in here, just the OP posts are recent/future specific.

Glad you want to post a bit more :) If you need some game suggestions, feel free to ask or check the average GAF rating in the program too:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=57495778&postcount=364

Toma

I just went for everything. The taco night was my favourite XD

Well if you choose every option only "once", you missed a lot and actually the main part of the game :p

Have to finish Thomas Was Alone to start The Swapper - don't like playing two games at the same time.

I just finished it yesterday, it's an adorable game. It's also pretty short (I finished it in two ~1.5 hour sittings), so I'm sure you'll find the time to finish it somewhere.

The puzzle-platforming never gets particularly complex (or engaging, to be honest), but the game more than makes up for it in other parts. There are a few things that the game shares with Portal (2); for example, you really want to complete levels to get to the reward of a few lines of humorous or heartwarming narration, and both games have you create a surprisingly strong bond with faceless cubes.

I find it hard to put my finger on why I liked it so much, so sorry if I'm being a little vague. All I can say is that the enchanting narration, minimalistic visuals and great music just worked so well together, and the combination had me smiling all the way from beginning to end.

Also, there's a pretty clever nod to one of my favorite indie games which I won't spoil.

You can cheat a little and change the time on your PC, if you don't want to wait.

I'll wait the days, this way I can get more curious and I end feeling the experience was more rewarding.

On other new started Save the Date, and I thought it was just one more date simulator until things happened, gonna spend more time with it.

Toma

This one's pretty neat.

Yep, even though I am still annoyed at the nonsensical UI. Why clicking the ARROWS instead of drag/dropping or clicking the person and then the location its supposed to go onto? Took me way too long to figure that out. Though to be fair, most games in the okay are "pretty neat", with the occasional exception. I tried a big chunk of them already, and there is quite a good amount of quality to be had here.

Hofmann

I just finished it yesterday, it's an adorable game. It's also pretty short (I finished it in two ~1.5 hour sittings), so I'm sure you'll find the time to finish it somewhere.

The puzzle-platforming never gets particularly complex (or engaging, to be honest), but the game more than makes up for it in other parts. There are a few things that the game shares with Portal (2); for example, you really want to complete levels to get to the reward of a few lines of humorous or heartwarming narration, and both games have you create a surprisingly strong bond with faceless cubes.

I find it hard to put my finger on why I liked it so much, so sorry if I'm being a little vague. All I can say is that the enchanting narration, minimalistic visuals and great music just worked so well together, and the combination had me smiling all the way from beginning to end.

Also, there's a pretty clever nod to one of my favorite indie games which I won't spoil.

Yeah, I think I'm near the end, too bad 'cause I find it really great.
My favourite part about it is, how much personality each ''cube'' has, mostly because of their physical characteristics and different abilities they possess and how those traits are build within the game's world - lovely little game.

Toma

Eastward Quest - action RPG where you always move east. Only victory can stop you - or death.

Not my kind of game, but it looks pretty cool.

You posted the Sentinel game, right? Were you interested? Like the house-y vibes of the music? Because its a very good tower defense game with really, really awesome music. The dev said he might throw out a demo in a week or so. Might put up a thread for it when the demo is up, because it will definitely drown otherwise. Its a small gem of a game.

Hofmann

You posted the Sentinel game, right? Were you interested? Like the house-y vibes of the music? Because its a very good tower defense game with really, really awesome music. The dev said he might throw out a demo in a week or so. Might put up a thread for it when the demo is up.

Yeah, the visuals and music grabbed my attention, so I'll definitely check out the demo when it comes out. I admit that I've never played any TD games:D

Toma

Yeah, the visuals and music grabbed my attention, so I'll definitely check out the demo when it comes out. I admit that I've never played any TD games:D

Hope you are in for a challenge then. The game is great, but certainly not easy. But seriously, I cant stop playing it right now. Music integration is too good, and I really want to unlock the soundtrack download.

Toma

Top Bottom