• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [June] Now Voting - Post 666

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Top of the page game recommendation in light of the Gunpoint release in 22 hours!
ss_52ef40b4f5f1c02e3e2479085225a856f96b06cc.1920x1080.0_cinema_640.0.jpg

The stealth and gameplay is soooo gooood.

Thanks Toma from putting our game in the future releases! :D

BTW, I suppose the ??? next to the title meant where the game is released no? You can add PC, Mac and Linux there, as that is where we definatly is going to be released.

We are trying to do a playable demo for release soon (we want to do it before the indigogo campaign is finished), so I will post it in this thread when its ready.

Yeah, the OP takes too much time and if I cant immediately find the the platforms, I'll just put ??? there. Will update that in a second :)

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
Gunpoint is an absolute blast. The way dialog can go is perfectly executed and I love the very fast way the game autosaves and allows you to pick a point to go back to instead of just having to start completely over from scratch.

I think i'm gonna need this.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Gunpoint is an absolute blast. The way dialog can go is perfectly executed and I love the very fast way the game autosaves and allows you to pick a point to go back to instead of just having to start completely over from scratch.

I think i'm gonna need this.

It totally should have a hardcore option with no autosaves within a level, though (and separate leaderboards).
On top of that, the game REALLY should keep your best score, and not the result of the "last" run you played.

Hofmann

Screenshot Saturday

GoD Factory: Wingmen – Wow, check the amazing ships' design. Multiplayer space combat sim.

Sarcia – Enigmatic game with beautiful artwork. Experience will be different with every playthrough, changing from player's appearance to the people you meet on your adventure.

Sidescene – Forgotten child of Resident Evil and Silent Hill – the screen is actually from 1999.

Luxuria Superbia – Tale Of Tales' WIP, taken out of Unity editor.

Assault Android Cactus – High action bonanza twin-stick shooter hell. Gaffer on board.

Lodestar: Stygian Skies – Balls in space. Plot driven Sci-Fi voxel RPG, full of ambitious features, that I hope won't be cut from the final game.

Hofmann

Screenshot Saturday

Our Darker Purpose – Sadistically difficult action RPG. According to the dev it's influenced by TloZ: A Link to the Past, The Binding of Isaac and Diablo.

Blackwell Epiphany – Haven't played any game from the series, but it seems like it's pretty good and popular among AG fans.

Ego Sol – The guy is working on another promising game The Shepard in Dark Times from the OP, so I thought I could post about it too. It's lookin' nice, but I really hope he focus all of his attention on TSIDT.

Stephen's Sausage Roll – Keita Takahashi influenced puzzle game silliness.

Avorion – Randomly generated space sandbox, featuring almost endless galaxy to explore.

Traption – Recently I ordered a toaster from China and that's exactly how my manual looked like.

That's all for now.

Toma

They also made Primordia, right? Is it any good?

Well I can tell you that the Blackwell games arent just "any" good at least. No clue about Primordia, but people seem to say that it could be , or is at least a contender for the spot of, their best game.

I should check it out more closely and add it to the next thread.
9nBk1C0.jpg

Hofmann

Well I can tell you that the Blackwell games arent just "any" good at least. No clue about Primordia, but people seem to say that it could be , or is at least a contender for the spot of, their best game.

I should check it out more closely and add it to the next thread.

Cool, gonna jump on groupees deal.

Toma

Cool, gonna jump on groupees deal.

For $1? Wow, that is a crazy good deal for that one game alone (Usually $10). Thanks for mentioning, will buy it too. Here is the link for others, since more people should jump on it, even if only for Primordia:
http://groupees.com/bm8

Oh, and I'm getting quite distracted doing the list, so I might not finish it today:D

No worries! Currently busy making 2 other threads anyway.

Toma

What are the indie games coming out for June? Gunpoint is all I got.

Future releases you mean? No clue. 95% of the Indies dont get any decent pre-release hype/coverage, so its not like an Indie Release list means much, especially with many Indie devs not wanting to decide onto a certain release date before its really finished.

Hey guys,
I'm kind of new in this thread, but I would like to know what do you think about Cart life. From the trailers I can see it's like a small grocery store simulator but appearently has some life-simulator bits. Is something like that?

Toma

Hey guys,
I'm kind of new in this thread, but I would like to know what do you think about Cart life. From the trailers I can see it's like a small grocery store simulator but appearently has some life-simulator bits. Is something like that?

4 ratings and 2 short impressions by thread regulars:
Q4AMbWB.png

Yeah, the game isnt only an economic simulator but also a life sim, and the mixture of those two is something entirely unique. Considering the way its been pulled off, I'd even consider it as one of the essential Indie Games of our times. But as you see, others might disagree with me :p

McSpidey

I'm curious how many of us here have games we like on greenlight but have given up on them getting through it completely. Is it time to get organised like the #ps4nodrm crew? Maybe devs shouldn't just be asking fans for votes, maybe that's not enough for niche titles? Thoughts?

Toma

I'm curious how many of us here have games we like on greenlight but have given up on them getting through it completely. Is it time to get organised like the #ps4nodrm crew? Maybe devs shouldn't just be asking fans for votes, maybe that's not enough for niche titles? Thoughts?

By now, I have personally already given up on Greenlight altogether, also considering how Valve is running that part of their business lately. I mean sure, it would be great for the games of the devs I like, so I support all devs getting on it, but I actually prefer Desura for my Indies lately. Steam is still way too restrictive and Desura offers a handy "impressions/reviews" summary box on their store pages and an average rating that is usually important to my decision of buying or not buying.

And asking for votes is probably the best thing devs can still do if there is a reasonable chance of them getting on Steam due to the increased user base, but yeah, they shouldnt rely on it.

McSpidey

I was thinking something along the lines of getting together a focused message to send to the press sites, both in and outside the games industry to demand coverage...once or twice a month as a group.

A single page that lists who to send the message to with a pre-written templated message about the top games in this thread still on greenlight.

#indiepressday

Lissar

Reluctant Member
By now, I have personally already given up on Greenlight altogether, also considering how Valve is running that part of their business lately. I mean sure, it would be great for the games of the devs I like, so I support all devs getting on it, but I actually prefer Desura for my Indies lately. Steam is still way too restrictive and Desura offers a handy "impressions/reviews" summary box on their store pages and an average rating that is usually important to my decision of buying or not buying.

And asking for votes is probably the best thing devs can still do if there is a reasonable chance of them getting on Steam due to the increased user base, but yeah, they shouldnt rely on it.

I've also just started using Desura instead of waiting for it to pop up on Steam. I don't want to never play these games, and I just can't put any trust in Greenlight to actually get half the stuff I want through.

At first I didn't want to have another client, but I rather like the Desura client. For those who haven't used it yet, you should check it out. You may even have some games you can put on there already from bundles and the like.

Desura/IndieDB is great, if a game is already up there when it's featured on Steam Greenlight, I'd rather just get it from there than wait like most Steam users.

Hofmann

this thread has been incredibly useful... Just joined the Steam group, very excited to get involved!

Welcome, and don't forget to try the program from the top of the OP - this tool is actually quite useful. You don't have to write impressions, simple scores are enough to build the recommendation system for other users - which in my opinion is the main purpose of it. We have more than 80 users in our group, but only about 6 or 7 readouts - it's impossible to create anything useful with this amount.

Raxum

I've also just started using Desura instead of waiting for it to pop up on Steam. I don't want to never play these games, and I just can't put any trust in Greenlight to actually get half the stuff I want through.

At first I didn't want to have another client, but I rather like the Desura client. For those who haven't used it yet, you should check it out. You may even have some games you can put on there already from bundles and the like.

The only thing I've found lacking so far in the Desura client is communication and social functions. But then I've never really had friends join me on Desura so... Honestly though I prefer the update system from Desura, being able to see the changelog and such before you update to a new patch is always a handy feature, and Steam is definitely lacking in that department. Steam is very handy though, for joining on friends for games and achievements and the community features they've added in.

Steam was very handy in the beginning for pulling your games together into one centralised view, but I've now taken to creating my own shortcut menu from a quicklaunch toolbar I found using actual shortcuts (I generally move any desktop shortcuts into the folder) and launching all my games from there. Much quicker and easier, especially since, once I've installed the game, I generally want to just play it. And I use Evolve for game tracking (because I get a bit OCD sometimes and want to see how much game time I've spent on something) which actually has a really neat submission-based way of tracking games. People in the Evolve community submit database code for games they play, and the evolve team adds it, so technically the client can track games that the team has only heard of through submissions.

Ledsen

They also made Primordia, right? Is it any good?

The guy who makes the Blackwell Games (under the label Wadjet Eye Games) published Primordia, but he didn't make it. He also published Gemini Rue and Resonance. People usually attribute all of Wadjet's games to him even though he only made Blackwell and The Shivah.

Hofmann

The guy who makes the Blackwell Games (under the label Wadjet Eye Games) published Primordia, but he didn't make it. He also published Gemini Rue and Resonance. People usually attribute all of Wadjet's games to him even though he only made Blackwell and The Shivah.

Thanks, good to know.

And I got Starseed Pilgrim from Dog Problems in the thread you've created. Hooray!

Toma

I was thinking something along the lines of getting together a focused message to send to the press sites, both in and outside the games industry to demand coverage...once or twice a month as a group.

A single page that lists who to send the message to with a pre-written templated message about the top games in this thread still on greenlight.

#indiepressday
I think it's actually more useful to give a indies more coverage (by posting in this or the individual games threads) instead of pushing the matter like that. It's also way too dependent on Valve, if 100.000 users start to vote things on Greenligt, Valve could just change the % needed again. It's probably best to jump in spaces where these games aren't very prominent (console/ AAA focused forums like GAF) and raise the awareness there.
We still got to fight that perception that Indie games are "lesser" games than big budget ones as well, which I consider the bigger problem actually.

Lissar

Reluctant Member
I think it's actually more useful to give a indies more coverage (by posting in this or the individual games threads) instead of pushing the matter like that. It's also way too dependent on Valve, if 100.000 users start to vote things on Greenligt, Valve could just change the % needed again. It's probably best to jump in spaces where these games aren't very prominent (console/ AAA focused forums like GAF) and raise the awareness there.
We still got to fight that perception that Indie games are "lesser" games than big budget ones as well, which I consider the bigger problem actually.

I was thinking about this today, actually. There is still this idea that quality is equal to budget and dev team size. I can understand people preferring the kind of games created by a larger team with a greater amount of money, but it really doesn't say anything about the quality of the title itself. I've certainly played more terrible indie games than I have AAA titles, but that's because the cost of entry is that much lower. I'm more cautious with money put towards AAA titles, and so don't tend to take a chance on trying something out I might not usually. On the flip side, the highs I've experienced with indie games have been much higher. But that's just a personal preference.

Toma

I was thinking about this today, actually. There is still this idea that quality is equal to budget and dev team size. I can understand people preferring the kind of games created by a larger team with a greater amount of money, but it really doesn't say anything about the quality of the title itself. I've certainly played more terrible indie games than I have AAA titles, but that's because the cost of entry is that much lower. I'm more cautious with money put towards AAA titles, and so don't tend to take a chance on trying something out I might not usually. On the flip side, the highs I've experienced with indie games have been much higher. But that's just a personal preference.

You are definitely not alone on that. Its simply due to the fact that the higher the budgets go, the more likely these games get "standardized", which gives them a smaller chance to suck completely because they are looking to popular titles and implement mechanics that they know people like. On the other hand, that standardization also kills innovation, making games feel too similar, whereas Indies can still evoke that sense of curiosity that you get when trying something new. The best recent example for that would probably be the mechanics exploration part of Starseed Pilgrim. Such a marvellous experience that big budget games wouldnt even attempt to convey because of the fear that they might alienate consumers.

On another note, I'll think about the contest(s) for this month, once I am done with the Gunpoint thread.

Toma

Additionally, congrats to electricpirate for his insane Burn&Turn score last month:

He won Titan Quest, which is certainly one of the best D2 style games still and he didnt own it yet. Enjoy :)

Toma

i know that it's not the right thread but...

can someone create a topic about this ? (i am a perm junior so i can't do this)

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1748556728/the-untold-history-of-japanese-game-developers

it's a wonderful project, we desperately need a good book on japanese developers

This is a cool project, so I wouldnt be surprised if someone makes a thread about it, but they'll easily hit the goal, so you dont need to worry about the project at least. I could post the thread for you though if you write everything up and create a nice OP with links and pictures etc. and if you take care of the thread afterwards because I dont have time for it. Feel free to PM me the full content of the OP (put some effort into it, being perm-juniored doesnt mean you dont need to do any work :p )

Fjordson

Man I wish Steam could flip the switch or however it works to have Gunpoint out already. Technically been release day for four hours already, but there's still six more to go of it being grayed out in my Steam library =[

This is a cool project, so I wouldnt be surprised if someone makes a thread about it, but they'll easily hit the goal, so you dont need to worry about the project at least. I could post the thread for you though if you write everything up and create a nice OP with links and pictures etc. and if you take care of the thread afterwards because I dont have time for it. Feel free to PM me the full content of the OP (put some effort into it, being perm-juniored doesnt mean you dont need to do any work :p )

i would do it, but my english is pretty poor

anyway, i think that it deserves a topic not because it needs more funding but just to let people know that someone is writing such a rare and wonderful book.

Toma

Btw, anyone know of a single word for "to the beat"? Like in how Sentinel isnt necessarily a rhythm game because its not the player who is expected to keep up the rhythm, but instead the games visuals and sound react to the stuff that comes in on the screen? Or is that still considered a rhythm game? Or would Sentinel rather be a "Tower defense game with an interactive soundtrack"? Need to find a short genre description for that game.

flowsnake

Btw, anyone know of a single word for "to the beat"? Like in how Sentinel isnt necessarily a rhythm game because its not the player who is expected to keep up the rhythm, but instead the games visuals and sound react to the stuff that comes in on the screen? Or is that still considered a rhythm game? Or would Sentinel rather be a "Tower defense game with an interactive soundtrack"? Need to find a short genre description for that game.

That just sounds like a game with dynamic music to me, rather than being part of a particular genre.

Top Bottom