• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Indie Games [June] Now Voting - Post 666

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Top of the page recommendation!
Inspite of everyone being hyped for Gunpoint(me included), people should also take a look at the smaller games in the meantime:

ojo5.gif

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5573960/potatodungeon/index.html
Potato Dungeon is a cute action game with an interesting "move mouse to attack" mechanic. You dont need to "waggle" like in playing Wii games, but its more about positioning the sword correctly to counter the enemy attack patterns.

That just sounds like a game with dynamic music to me, rather than being part of a particular genre.

Dynamic soundtrack then? That might work.

klinkcow

Neo Member
Welcome, and don't forget to try the program from the top of the OP - this tool is actually quite useful. You don't have to write impressions, simple scores are enough to build the recommendation system for other users - which in my opinion is the main purpose of it. We have more than 80 users in our group, but only about 6 or 7 readouts - it's impossible to create anything useful with this amount.
consider it done!

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Where is that Gunpoint official thread?

I am making it, be patient young Padawan ;p Had a bit of other stuff on my mind over the weekend, but it will be up before the release in 4 hours (Although it wont be called "OT" because GAF has a stupid rule to put all the OTs to community where they starve to death. I really think they should make an "at least 30 pages" rule or something before they push the smaller Indie OTs to the community forum)

I am making it, be patient young Padawan ;p Had a bit of other stuff on my mind over the weekend, but it will be up before the release in 4 hours (Although it wont be called "OT" because GAF has a stupid rule to put all the OTs to community where they starve to death. I really think they should make an "at least 30 pages" rule or something before they push the smaller Indie OTs to the community forum)

Thanks, take your time. And yeah, that OT switch to community is only a good thing for huge games. Good point, will have to keep that in mind. I feel indie games should be talked about way more, so leaving it in the games section is more beneficial.

crop

Neo Member
Top of the page recommendation!
Inspite of everyone being hyped for Gunpoint(me included), people should also take a look at the smaller games in the meantime:

ojo5.gif

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/5573960/potatodungeon/index.html
Potato Dungeon is a cute action game with an interesting "move mouse to attack" mechanic. You dont need to "waggle" like in playing Wii games, but its more about positioning the sword correctly to counter the enemy attack patterns.

Dynamic soundtrack then? That might work.

Randomly chose to play Potato Dungeon when browsing through the list and it was indeed a lot of fun.

Toma

Gunpoint thread naming suggestions?

Potato dungeon is a really smart little action platformer. There's a lot of really cool little strategies to it, especially once you get pardner.

Toma

Potato dungeon is a really smart little action platformer. There's a lot of really cool little strategies to it, especially once you get pardner.

Yep, glad to see some people checked it out now :)

Btw, Gunpoint thread is done, now I am only missing the catchy title. Leaning towards a variation of the Goldberg one.

Hofmann

Amen to that, fantastic little looty game. The lead designer went off and made a Victorian version which has done well on kickstarter, so that will be one to look out for in the coming months.

You say loot, they are my gaming guilty pleasures. So addicting, but when I'm done I feel like eating box of chocolates at 2 a.m. Recently I won Torchlight 2 on SG out of 6K participants - that's how unlucky I am.

Ah, when it releases post here again with a screenshot so I dont miss it for the june games. :)

No risk of that, I'm definitely picking up Rain-Slick 4 once it hits the virtual store shelves and I'll likely be raving about it on this topic on the day.

Questions for Swapper and Gunpoint:

Gamepad support?
Can they be played mouse-only?

I don't see any controller options in the menus for either. The way they play with the pointing, has to be mouse-only. It could be done with a controller, but it'd be pretty slow since Swapper requires really twitch precision like when you're "clone platforming". A touch-based device would be faster.

Gunpoint especially would be perfect for phones with the cross-wiring of electronics and aiming your jumps.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
I don't see any controller options in the menus for either. The way they play with the pointing, has to be mouse-only. It could be done with a controller, but it'd be pretty slow since Swapper requires really twitch precision like when you're "clone platforming". A touch-based device would be faster.

Gunpoint especially would be perfect for phones with the cross-wiring of electronics and aiming your jumps.

Damn. :( hopefully they'll come to iPad then.
I assume they both need a kb and can't be played mouse only...

Hofmann

Damn. :( hopefully they'll come to iPad then.
I assume they both need a kb and can't be played mouse only...

You can always use Xpadder and map directional keys to the left stick. I prefer this mouse/pad combination - it works really well for most of the games.

Dascu

Act II of Kentucky Route Zero has some really cool locations. I am also in awe at some of the visual tricks they manage to pull off. Wouldn't even know where to begin to create such things in Unity.

Toma

If you want screenshots, there's several on the official site - http://rainslick.com/about/rspd4

Nah, its not about the screenshots themselves, but if people post screenshots in this thread when recommending or posting about new releases, it makes it easier not to miss them when going over the ~750 posts for the games that need to go into the next thread.

Toma

As far as I know, they have only mentioned a local co-op mode. I do hope that they will work on a online mode once they have fully implemented the local co-op mode.

Would be a waste if they didnt implement online coop :/

Platy

jTK6NM0.png

Deep Dungeuns of Doom, an Ouya first game that was the colaboration of Bossa Studio (Surgeon Simmulator) and MiniBoss Studio (Out There Somewhere and Towerfall art) is out on IOS !

With android soon coming too !

The game was "featured" in Surgeon Simulator

Hofmann

I'd love to read some impressions on these if anyone goes.

Yeah, I would if live somewhere close. I hope there will be at least some coverage in local media - I was afraid that Feist is dead, but it looks like it's still kicking.

Toma

Is it me or Starseed Pilgrim starts to become monotone after initial awe.

Certainly not only you, it starts off as an amazing rewarding andexperience to explore the mechanics (which I didnt notice in many other games) and then once that is over derives into a rather derivative puzzle game. But I cant fault them, its like having the first 1-2 amazing hours of a game and then offering more content for players that want to play with it instead of being rushed out of that world after 1-2 hours. But its probably fair game to not bother playing it to the end once you understood all the mechanics and uncovered all the secrets of the gameplay.

Hofmann

But its probably fair game to not bother playing it to the end once you understood all the mechanics and uncovered all the secrets of the gameplay.

How many
''worlds'' are there? After all each one introduce slightly different mechanics, so maybe I'll force myself to discover all of them

Toma

How many
''worlds'' are there? After all each one introduce slightly different mechanics, so maybe I'll force myself to discover all of them

Cant remember because I didnt finish it myself, but someone sent me a picture of it and I think it was about
12 or something

jTK6NM0.png

Deep Dungeuns of Doom, an Ouya first game that was the colaboration of Bossa Studio (Surgeon Simmulator) and MiniBoss Studio (Out There Somewhere and Towerfall art) is out on IOS !

With android soon coming too !

The game was "featured" in Surgeon Simulator

Do you know if they're planning to release for PC?

Is it me or Starseed Pilgrim starts to become monotone after initial awe.

Yea. It's a classic example of about 3-4 hours worth of mechanics being stretched out too far, but learning process of those mechanics, and learning how the systems work is really top notch. I think the game needs to break out some new mechanics as you progress to keep that really satisfying mastery loop going.

I find the mechanics also generatea strong emotional response from me.

though I still need to
try to open three key doors, maybe there's something more back there?

Hofmann

Cant remember because I didnt finish it myself, but someone sent me a picture of it and I think it was about
12 or something

Thanks, I've found the image.
In free mode the game should definitely have zoom out mechanics. Undiscovered isles could be hidden under invisible mist, showing up only when you get close to them

That remind of this amazing little Notgame called Small Worlds: http://jayisgames.com/games/small-worlds/. Kinda old, so you probably played it already.

I still need to
try to open three key doors, maybe there's something more back there?

Grrr,
almost did it, but unfortunately I placed bomb near third key

Top Bottom