• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gunpoint [STEAM] A Rube Goldberg stealth machine

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
l0mCo8J.png

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| Info Box |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Steam
Official Website
If you havent yet, TRY THE DEMO!

Win Only for now, but he hopes "to do Mac and Linux versions next."

There are 3 purchaseable versions of the game + the soundtrack:
Just the game - $9,99/ currently 10% off at $8,99 until 10/06
Contains the awesomeness that is Gunpoint, normal game edition!
Gunpoint Special Edition - $19,99/ currently 25% off at $14,99 until 10/06
Contains the awesomeness that is Gunpoint, soundtrack, and special in-game developer commentary for every mission (optional)
Gunpoint Exclusive Edition - $29,99/ currently 10% off at $26,99 until 10/06
Contains the awesomeness that is Gunpoint, the soundtrack, in-game developer commentary, Making Of Gunpoint video feature, exclusive tracks by Gunpoint's composers, and the Prototype Pack: 9 playable versions of the game from each stage of its development

Soundtrack on Bandcamp (which is included in the Special and Exclusive Edition), $5

ixFzHDov6AEcI.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| Whats this game? |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Gunpoint is a sidescrolling stealth action game with puzzle elements that actually delivers on the promise of a stealth game. You'll be tasked with missions for which you need to plan and execute an infiltration plan, take out the guards (or avoid them completely), execute your objectives and then safely return to your home. The most interesting feature of the game that will give it a lot of replayability is the ability to "cross-wire" electric circuits. This allows you , for example, to change a light switch to operating a door or a light on a completely different floor. This allows for a variety of shenanigans with the reactions of the guards and technical possibilities, which makes the levels almost feel a little sandbox in itself. You'll get witty mission briefings, developer commentary in the Special Edition, tight game mechanics and control and a level editor! Let me say that again, LEVEL EDITOR. Another time for good measure
LEVEL.
EDITOR.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| Impressions |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Pictures speak more than a thousand words:

Just tried the Demo. Wow! That feels really great. Writing is spot on, the jumping mechanic is so much fun, and I can see how that crosslink mechanic can get really deep. In the demo I created some weird action chains.
It's really a giant stealth Rube Goldberg machine.
Will buy.

Gunpoint is an absolute blast. The way dialog can go is perfectly executed and I love the very fast way the game autosaves and allows you to pick a point to go back to instead of just having to start completely over from scratch.

I think i'm gonna need this.

Played the demo and then went ahead and preordered.

This is the first 2D game that I have played that feels good with a KB/M.

Played the demo last night. It's as fun as I thought it would be from the videos. The writing is surprisingly sharp which was unexpected.

iluI2udyjKjgt.gif

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| Key features |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[NE]= Normal Edition, [SE]=Special Edition, [EE]= Exclusive edition
  • [NE][SE][EE] (If bought from the developer website) - DRM free download
  • [NE][SE][EE] (even if bought from the developer website) - Steam Key
  • [NE][SE][EE] Jump! Run! Shatter Glass!
  • [NE][SE][EE] Punch guards once! Twice! Three times! (Or until they are dead)
  • [NE][SE][EE] Plan your level runs to maximize sneakiness
  • [NE][SE][EE] The game can be played without harming anyone (Almost)
  • [NE][SE][EE] The main game is only 3 hours long, but offers a LOT of replayability and a level editor for level sharing
  • [NE][SE][EE] Crosswire electric circuits to have guards opening doors for you when pressing a light switch!
  • [SE][EE] Soundtrack
  • [SE][EE] Developer commentary on every mission
  • [EE] The Making Of Gunpoint (40 minutes)
  • [EE] The Prototype Pack: play snapshots of Gunpoint’s development at 9 different stages, including cartoony programmer art, the first conception of the hacking system, many scrapped levels, and overpowered gadgets we later cut
  • [EE] 4 Exclusive Tracks: bonus pieces produced specially by Gunpoint’s composers for this edition
  • [EE] The Secret Beta Access List: adds an option in the game menu to sign up to our Secret Beta Access List. If and when future Suspicious Developments games are developed, we’ll sometimes give secret beta versions only to the members of this list.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| Other stuff |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Indie Game thread series, currently June:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=572913

In the same thread, we are currently prototype-testing a program to rate Indie games and write impressions that can be read out and analysed with that program. For more information, see this post:http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=57495778&postcount=364 Currently in need of some more testers, therefore another shoutout here. Feel free to ask me anything about it via PM or in the may Indie thread.

Thanks to Messofanego for the gifs, and now:
ibfIlP6Mfo1c3X.gif

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| Highscores |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

List of people who managed to play every level with the Gentleman badge (Dont hurt anyone):
Morpork
Thraktor

List of people who managed to play every level with the Ghost badge (No witnesses):

List of people who managed to play every level with the Lightning badge (Fastest time):

List of people who managed to play every level with the Ninja badge (No noises):

Only your last run will be saved, so I'd suggest sticking with one badge for the first time if you dont feel like doing Gentleman and Ghost at the same time on your first run.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
| User Levels |
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I think its best if I link ONE post by every member in the OP that the members themselves update with their other levels. You are free to bump the thread to tell others that you made a new level and can link it, but please also update your first main post that should contain ALL of your levels if you have more than one.

Morningbus
Morpork
Shahadan
Thraktor

Moobabe

I will be on every single one of those lists. For I am a stealth God.

Also this game is awesome and every single person on GAF should buy it.

If you want something to do while you wait, other then play the demo of course, then you can check out this blog post. It recounts a game of Galactic Civilizations 2 and is written by Tom Francis who is the bloke behind Gunpoint. I think it does a great job of turning a quite chaotic game of Galciv into a fairly amusing but also dramatic narrative. If the writing in Gunpoint is done with the same level of care I think it might end up being rather special.

Game is getting hyped up all over the place.

Are there any similarities at all to the other 2D stealth game: Mark of the Ninja? I really loved it.

Woooooooooo!

Only 2 and half hours to go.

Are there any similarities at all to the other 2D platformer: Mark of the Ninja? I really loved it.

They are both Stealth 2D Platformers, I think that Gunpoint is a little more complex though.

Dakota47

Woop woop! Can't wait to fire this up when I get home later tonight. The demo left me hungry for moar.

Toma

Are there any similarities at all to the other 2D platformer: Mark of the Ninja? I really loved it.

Deservedly so. And yeah, the basic premise is similar but Gunpoint is more stealth focussed and has a more interesting sandbox hook with the crosswire mechanic. Try the demo!

Gammacide

I have been playing and replaying the demo over and over and can't stop loving it. I keep looking for more complicated ways to complete these simple levels. The levels in the full game will surely provide me with many more hours of entertainment as they get more complex. Can't wait to get my hands on the soundtrack too. Just waiting for the Special Edition to unlock.

Deservedly so. And yeah, the basic premise is similar but Gunpoint is more stealth focussed and has a more interesting sandbox hook with the crosswire mechanic. Try the demo!

Will download the demo as soon as I get home from work.

ScOULaris

Just played the demo and loved it! The game controls unbelievably well for something made in Game Maker. I just love flinging myself at enemies and then mashing the punch button until I've beaten their faces into an unrecognizable pulp. The demo sold me on buying the full game at launch today.

Toma

Does anyone know how user-made levels will be shared? Will it support Steam Workshop?

Old school txt file sharing. We'll make a section in the OP for GAF levels if it works out.

Toma

A bit more than 90 minutes to go!

I put this up in the other thread. Tom Francis has been pretty active on his blog pretty much detailing the development process of Gunpoint. It gives fascinating incite into the process as well as his thought on games in general.

Toma

I put this up in the other thread. Tom Francis has been pretty active on his blog pretty much detailing the development process of Gunpoint. It gives fascinating incite into the process as well as his thought on games in general.

Thanks for linking again, I didnt want to read much on the game before finishing it, but I'll check it out once I finished the game :)

SJRB

Gold Member
Hyped as hell that this game is finally being released!

1 hour and 3 minutes, let's go!

Narras

Does anyone know how to uninstall the demo?

Going by the demo, the game is real good. I liked the writing more than anything. :p

Toma

Does anyone know how to uninstall the demo?

Going by the demo, the game is real good. I liked the writing more than anything. :p

Right click - delete local files? Or are you having difficulties deleting it from your steam library?

I had forgotten about this game. I remember watching some developer walkthroughs from when it was early in development, it looked great even then.

Having just played the demo I can confirm that it not only still looks great but that it in fact plays like a dream also. Thanks for pointing to the developer website OP, I was all set to purchase the game then and there on steam but thankfully I decided to check and see if there was a GAF thread about it first.

Toma

30 minutes, dear gentlemen and ghosts.

Narras

Right click - delete local files? Or are you having difficulties deleting it from your steam library?

No, difficulties here. I don't have Steam. I was mostly wondering if the demo had an uninstaller or if I just had to manually delete it.

Toma

*restarts steam*

Toma

With my dl rate, I certainly wont be the first to play. But I'll join you guys in a few minutes!

Toma

DONE downloading!
*disappears into the shadows*

Just curious, how big are the file sizes for you? My EE download is 610MB.

DONE downloading!

Special edition is 143MB. Although I do not know as of yet if that includes the commentary track.

EDIT: I just checked the local files and it seems that the above size does indeed include the commentary, plus 13 tracks of the OST.

Shahadan

Crap my worst fears came true, can't configure the keys :((
I guess I'll play using the arrows instead. Or not since I need my hand for the mouse....RAH

DONE downloading!

Regular edition is just 49 MB.

Played a few levels past the demo. I really love how the game controls, being able to aim your jumps with the mouse feels really good.

The jump upgrades seem a little pointless, however I like that you can return money upgrades so you can try more expensive ones.

Toma

Somebody needs to play through this on their Twitch channel.

Pretty sure there are more than enough doing this right now.

On another note, the "solution" for the first level after the demo was neat. Got me to think for a second there.

TheChits

I had no idea this even existed until I saw this thread. Caught the first 30 or so seconds of the trailer on the website and am downloading now. This should be fun

Top Bottom