• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Indie Games [May] Now Voting - Post 573!"

mnz

Unconfirmed Member
Is Luftrausers even out yet? It was in the april thread, but I don't think it came out.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Is Luftrausers even out yet? It was in the april thread, but I don't think it came out.

Not yet, the games in the future section could be months away. They are not scheduled for the same month or any specific time period. Its simply a collection to get an overview over interesting projects in progress to keep track of.

geebee

Banned
I recently got back into PC gaming and I'm glad I stumbled across these threads. A lot of these games are amazing. It's great to see so many talented indie devs, but sad at the same time that there are so many people missing out on these gems.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
I recently got back into PC gaming and I'm glad I stumbled across these threads. A lot of these games are amazing. It's great to see so many talented indie devs, but sad at the same time that there are so many people missing out on these gems.

Yeah, thats what we are trying to counteract with these threads a bit. I hope that it gives some of these games a little bit more exposure. I know that some did get some GAF reputation at least through ít, like Clairvoyance and Papers, Please, so I am just trying to imagine we are doing a good deed here to make me feel better about the time we waste in here :p

Hofmann

I guess this is a good thread to mention that Residue is being released for PC on May 6: http://www.desura.com/games/residue

It's being released on Desura, more places later, price is €4.99/$5.99/£3.99.
A demo version is also available through Desura.

It's a 2d platformer/adventure with a focus on story, and takes place around the dried out Aral Sea in Uzbekistan.

And to make things clear, I'm the sound designer for Residue. We've been working on the game on and off for a long time (since 2009, I think). Feels good to finally release it.

I was waiting for the thread to reach page 2 and post about it, but you beat me to it.

And finally I need to play They Breathe.

Toma

<Imp>6180 the moon; 3; Good and challenging platformer with an interesting gravity mechanic.µµµBack to Bed; 2; Great idea, but not enough polish and in need of better level design.µµµCesure; 3; Niy.µµµFactorio; 5; Best management sim game I have played this year, definitely landing in my GOTY.µµµGorogoa; 5; Pushes the boundaries of what we know from adventure games. Highly refreshing.µµµJelly no Puzzle; 4; Not the best presentational values, but very good and challenging puzzle game that stomps some people already on the first level. How about you?µµµKentucky Route Zero; 5; Fantastic adventure game, will be considered a classic once the price goes down and more people get to play it.µµµKing of the Wood; 2; Niy.µµµKyoto; 3; Short, but pretty and relaxing experience.µµµMaldita Castilla; 4; True to the roots Ghosts'n'Goblins imitation. Definitely recommended for fans of those games.µµµMelodisle; 3; Very imaginative little tribute to FEZ.µµµMicron; 3; Great little puzzle game with musical touches.µµµMirrorMoon; 3; Great concept that definitely deserves to be expanded on.µµµOFF; 1; I found the game dull and repetive, although the story is interesting.µµµPapers, please!; 5; Very, very unique adventure/puzzle game in a unique and not often explored setting.µµµPlanet Explorers; 3; Open World hunting and crafting game, hold back some jankiness.µµµProteus; 3; Interesting art game with dreamy sound design that unfortunately didnt "click" for me gameplay wise.µµµSlave of God; 2; Niy.µµµStarseed Pilgrim; 4; This game emphasizes the exploration of the gameplay mechanics, which made me feel more curious than any other game I played recently.µµµSteam Marines; 1; Art style and gameplay didnt come together for me.µµµStream; 2; Decent 3D puzzle game that doesnt manage to standout among the crowd of similar and better games.µµµThe Button Affair; 3; Stylish and fun little one button time waster.µµµThirty Flights of Loving; 2; Niy.µµµTiny Plumbers; 3; Niy.µµµUnderrail; 4; It plays like fallout, smells like fallout and you kill people like in Fallout! Total surprise for me.µµµZineth; 5; One of the most overlooked Indies I've come across lately. Crazy great sense of speed. I wish the devs would expand on this concept.µµµA Nation of Wind; 3; Niy.µµµAtum; 3; Great overall concept, but I wish it had a better execution and more (varied) content.µµµBroForce; 3; Surprisingly fun action game with destructible environments, especially in coop. A game to look forward to.µµµBloomfairy; 1; Growing plants to advance in the story is a great concept, but unfortunately very dull executed.µµµCart Life; 5; Unique mix of economic sim and life sim. I doubt we'll get to play something similar any time soon.µµµClairvoyance; 4; Very fast paced strategy game, challenging your abilities to read your opponents minds.µµµCook, Serve, Delicious!; 3; Niy.µµµDoor Kickers; 2; Arcade strategy, but currently still missing some depth. Cant recommend for the price.µµµFreedom Planet; 3; Niy.µµµGearscape; 2; Niy.µµµGreat Permutator; 3; Great puzzle games that only misses some more presentational polish and more features like leaderboards.
µµµOpenRA; 3; Retro C&C MP for current systems. Good, but unwelcoming for newcomers of the game.µµµOrder of Twilight; 3; I really enjoyed the concept of casting every action in this game instead of just using wasd plus space to jump. Could be considered tedious, but I found it rather unique.µµµOverlight; 3; Pretty arcade highscore game, but seems unfortunately a bit random at times.µµµSword of the Stars: The Pit; 4; Great roguelike that is bogged down by uninspired feeling randomized level design. Item management and combat is top however.µµµThe Plan; 3; Niy.µµµThe Castle Doctrine; 4; Awesome concept and the attacker/defender dynamic is plain amazing. Too bad its a bit too unbalanced atm.µµµTriad; 3; Very short one shot puzzle game. Definitely worth the small download.µµµUnepic; 5; Crazy good non-random roguelike action game that also manages to look pretty.µµµWaking Mars; 3; Growing plants to progress, cool concept with a unique feel to it.µµµ7 Grand Steps; 4; Highly addictive Life sim with random events in boardgame style. Might seem a bit expensive, but its worth it.µµµ18 Cadence; 3; Very interesting concept, but a bit tedious in execution. The idea of using word fragment to elaborate and tell different stories is pretty nifty though and definitely worth a look.µµµ2x0ng; 4; Fun and intense arcade game with a surprising amount of variation.µµµBoredom; 3; Witty and challenging platformer. µµµBurn & Turn; 4; Very fun arcade game.µµµCities in Motion 2; 3; Very fun and deep management game that had some SP bugs that hold it back from a better rating atm.µµµDear Esther; 4; Very pretty and an interesting approach to indirect story telling.µµµDraconian Wars; 4; Surprisingly great TCG without any form of microtransactions and deep mechanics. Not all that easy to get into, but highly recommended for the price.µµµDwarf Fortress; 5; Most complex game ever created that pushes the boundaries of what the medium is capable of.µµµEndgame:Syria; 3; Interesting execution of an educational game based on a real life conflict.µµµFez; 5; Niy.µµµFreedom Fall; 3; Fun action platformer with tight controls and an interesting way to tell the story.µµµFrozen Synapse; 5; Best 2 player strategy game. The amount of depth and applicable tactics is mind boggling. $25 gives you 2 copies of the game.µµµFTL: Faster Than Light; 5; Best roguelike mashup with another genre I've ecountered so far. Highly addictive.µµµFuture Development Company; 3; Niy.µµµGretel and Hansel; 3; Interesting conversion of the story with the same name into the Indie Adventure game scene.µµµKairo; 4; Great little 3D mystic puzzle game, feels quite artsy too.µµµLa-Mulana; 5; Great Sidescrolling adventure platformer. Very hard, but equally rewarding. I looove the little touches they made with the gadgets and conversations. The puzzle design is splendid as well.µµµMayhem Triple; 3; Completely off the walls action game based around a bunny invasion. The game feels really great.µµµMemory of a Broken Dimension; 3; The imagery is awesome, but it gives me SEVERE headaches.µµµMonaco; 2; Most disappointing Indie for me lately and way too overpriced. Still a decent arcade coop game.µµµMusic of the Spheres; 3; Offbeat puzzle game with an unusual charme. I wish he had experimented with more sound balls, but definitely worth a look.µµµOut there somewhere; 4; Surprisingly interesting platformer based around the "beaming" mechanic. It was more interesting than it looks at first.µµµPioneers; 3; This survival ame has the potential to be something great, but is currently unfortunately still bogged down by control and UI issues.µµµRemembering; 3; Interesting visualization of aural memories.µµµRisk of Rain; 3; Still only in proof-of-concept stage, but this action roguelike-style game shows lots of potential.µµµShadow Era; 2; Decent TCG bogged down by Microtransactions. Very easy to get into though.µµµShadow Spire; 3; Under the radar dungeon metroidvania. Devs said that chances for finishing it depend on public interest.µµµSpaceChem; 5; Highly polished and complex puzzle game. Best puzzle game I've played so far.µµµTowerClimb; 4; Fun action platformer that requires you to learn the mechanics and items in proper roguelike style.µµµBallpoint Universe; 4; Ridiculously good art style in a shmup that is certainly worth more than the asking price.µµµCandy Box; 3; Fun diversion, and considering the limitations quite an achievement. After the initial hook, it flattens out to a grind in the end however. Certainly worth a look since its free, though.µµµChasm; 3; Promising, but in its current state still missing too many features (no saving) and the room design started to feel the same far too early.µµµData Hacker - Initiation; 2; RPG that draws heavily from the .Hack games. A bit too simple, but the Virtual Online World hook is as engaging as ever.µµµDust: An Elysian Tail; 4; Great looking game with a satisfying combat/combo system. Unfortunately a bit on the short side.µµµFour Scepters; 2; Highly simplified and fast paced take on the roguelike genre.µµµGallery; 3; Cute little puzzle game with an interesting narrative.µµµGunpoint; 5; Very satisfying stealth action game with tons of potential content via the community levels. One of the best Indies I've played this year.µµµHeroine Dusk; 3; Shows a LOT of potential, but currently still missing too much for a better score. People should definitely check it out though.µµµLeaf Me Alone; 3; Nifty and charming small scale metroidvania.µµµLittle Inferno; 3; Mesmerizing and completely different. Definitely worth taking a look at if you can grab it in one of these Indie bundles.µµµMono; 3; Cute little puzzle game with some unique level ideas.µµµNo one has to die; 3; Held down by UI and graphics issues, this is a good application of the 999 concept on a small scale.µµµPotato Dungeon; 4; Surprisingly fun game with interesting combat mechanics that I havent seen anywhere else yet. Makes you rethink how to fight, certainly worth a look.µµµReus; 5; Highly polished and unique to play god game on a smaller scale. Very, very fun to play.µµµSave the Date; 3; Worth checking out for the story progression.µµµSentinel; 5; An interactive music Tower Defense game with an all around amazing soundtrack. The game is hard, but if you are up for the challenge and like the soundtrack, its so, so, so worth it.µµµSkyward Collapse; 2; Very deep God game about balancing different factions. The game has a ton of potential, but it wasnt eager to let me have fun yet with a cumbersome UI and horribly explained mechanics. Will change my rating if I ever get into it.µµµThe Yawhg; 3; Unique and engaging multiplayer game. Unfortunately, it doesnt quite work as well in SP and it might be a tad expensive for the amount of time a few playthroughs take.µµµToom; 3; Short, but interesting. Love the way my mind filled in parts of the story when interacting the with environment.µµµUndertale; 3; An RPG with unique combat mechanics. When can you honestly say that? Worth trying out the demo for those alone.</Imp>

Gilby

Best of April is over, we'll vote on the may games at the end of may.
(What is SSP? If its a game that wasnt included in any of the threads yet, we might put it up for a future month)

Star Seed Pilgrim! Absolutely fantastic game, don't look up anything on it if you intend to play it!

Toma

Hofmann

So, the time has come for the late Screenshot Saturday post, mixed with some Ludum Dare entries.

Part 1

Lumière - Short exploration game from the creator of Cesure and AEON made in two days for Ludum Dare. You can download it and try for yourself.
8689163393_59c190d54f_o.png

Hate Plus - Christine.Love.Hate.Analogue.Plus.Sequel.

Prisonscape - Looks like there's incoming wave of prison placed games. This time it's a RPG/Adventure hybrid. Decide which strategy to take &#8211; to become a tough guy or a clever behind the scenes manipulator. You can expect some turf wars with your inmates; creating weapons &#8211; knifes from toothbrushes, etc., and of course some relaxing showers at the end of the day. Ok, the last part is only my imagination going wild.

Nowhere - Very ambitious futuristic single player sandbox game. From what the devs wrote, it looks like they drew some inspirations from Omikron and its ''soul'' jumping mechanics. This post explains it better: http://blog.duangle.com/2013/04/what-nowhere-is-actually-about_22.html

Dusty Revenge - The screen shows how one of the support characters &#8211; the sniper &#8211; helps our melee fighting protagonist in a messy situation.

A Shepard in Dark Times - Not too much info, except that it's an adventure game, but I've got a good feeling about this one.

Also, to the ones I told to repost the stuff from the last few pages of the april thread, please repost those games and posts!

Yeah, of course, I remember.

Hofmann

SS;)

Part 2

Red Rover - Experimental Mars exploration game. The teaser evokes some associations of 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Tessalation - ''Single player Co-Op'' time traveling adventure game set in an elementary school.

Rooks Keep - Unreal Tournament with swords.

TrashTV - I like Rock Paper Shotgun's description, so I just repost it. ''Trash TV appears to be a platform game at first but is really more of a puzzler, although a puzzler in which the solution to everything is GUNS.''

Perish - Procedurally generated real time 3D roguelike.

Havencall - Charming Point n Click full of puzzles, challenges and some fighting.

Want to check some other games before posting the last part.

Toma

Alright, off to bed for today. Have fun with the new set of games ladies and gentlemen.

Toma

Last random note, I swear threads named "ss" get more initial attention on here :p

So I played 2x0ng and surprisingly enjoyed it. The mechanics are easy to understand but after some levels the game becomes hard, it's like Arkanoid meets Robotron 2084. The only problem I found while playing is when you are in large levels there are frame rate issues, but it's already acknowledge by the dev and is supposed to be fixed in the 1.1 release.

I had no idea Eador had been released! Any thoughts from folks who have played it? Does the genre mashing work here, or is it a little too jumbled? That's my fear, that it's trying to be too many things.

It's quite an interesting title, and I'm certainly enjoying my time with it. Not strictly a total HoMM clone, it has quite a good and complex development aspect. UI is a bit clunky and I do find myself aching for a more comprehensive empire management screen - in fact, just a little more cohesion in how things relate to each other would be great - but as it stands, a big and ambitious title that satisfies now but will undoubtedly be honed as time goes by.

And Toma, once again, mad props to you and your retinue for the indie spotlight.

kaleii

Great work once again, Toma! These threads of yours are amazing. Just wished I had more time to play (any) games :)

May voting will be rough.

Wanace

I bought Kenshi a while ago but the interface and lack of any kind of initial guidance put me off. I keep waiting for something even as simple as Mount and Blade's opening quest to grab me and help me learn what to do.

I also downloaded and played Pioneers a few days ago. It starts really slow but then it gets a bit interesting. I bought a ship and sailed off on a quest to bring back some spices but the game crashed a minute after I landed on a foreign shore. Hopefully it gets more stable because I think it'll be enjoyable.

Toma

So I played 2x0ng and surprisingly enjoyed it. The mechanics are easy to understand but after some levels the game becomes hard, it's like Arkanoid meets Robotron 2084. The only problem I found while playing is when you are in large levels there are frame rate issues, but it's already acknowledge by the dev and is supposed to be fixed in the 1.1 release.

Oh man, 2n0g is really fun. Didn't die, but had to quit out at level 8

Yeah, 2x0ng is surprisingly fun. I think there are quite a few games that will catch people by surprise if they end up trying them.

I hope that the technical issues of the game wont be too bad for the contest :/

Oh and, apparently you can either play with Toma now in Kitbash, or be killed by me! Isnt that something? :D

eot

Banned
How do you guys feel about buying directly from developers? I've done it a few times now and it never seems to work that well. With VVVVVV the download link expired after a short time and I had to email the developer to get a new one, which would also expire so I can't reliably download the game if I want to (I now have it in a humble bundle so it's fine though). Just recently I bought Thomas Was Alone from the official site to support the developer, downloaded it on a laptop (Mac version) but wanted it on my PC. However the link doesn't work and there's no indication if it's supposed to or not, there's no forum on his website and I tweeted him but got no response. I know I got a Steam key but that kind of negates the idea of buying a DRM free version, and for whatever reason Steam kept timing out on the activation too.

Toma

How do you guys feel about buying directly from developers? I've done it a few times now and it never seems to work that well. With VVVVVV the download link expired after a short time and I had to email the developer to get a new one, which would also expire so I can't reliably download the game if I want to (I now have it in a humble bundle so it's fine though). Just recently I bought Thomas Was Alone from the official site to support the developer, downloaded it on a laptop (Mac version) but wanted it on my PC. However the link doesn't work and there's no indication if it's supposed to or not, there's no forum on his website and I tweeted him but got no response. I know I got a Steam key but that kind of negates the idea of buying a DRM free version, and for whatever reason Steam kept timing out on the activation too.

I find it highly unwieldy. There are a few games that I need to download from the links I got via mail. And to look up an email just to find a dl link is highly cumbersome. I am really glad that most of the games that I bought via the devs websites have Desura codes by now. The thought of supporting the devs is nice, but I for me, the inconvenience of not having it on Desura isnt really worth it. I still dont mind buying games that arent on Desura, but I definitely choose the Desura version if its available.

Wok

Humble is the way to go for me.

kaleii

I bought Thomas was Alone back in October from IndieCity. Three months ago they contacted me and told me to contact Mike, the creator, and I would get a Steam key. I've emailed him like once every three weeks now, but he's just not getting back to me. Feels like a drag to be honest.

Toma

I hope I actually get to play some this month :p I can see Soul Sacrifice eating lots of my time.

Hofmann

Not yet, the games in the future section could be months away. They are not scheduled for the same month or any specific time period. Its simply a collection to get an overview over interesting projects in progress to keep track of.

I think that Icefishing V is coming out in a few days
(42-42, 43-41)
. Will you question the whole fabric of universe;)

Toma

I think that Icefishing V is coming out in a few days
(42-42, 43-41)
. Will you question the whole fabric of universe;)

Its going to be pushed into the release section of the next thread :p The thread numbers shall stand.

gabbo

Rooks Keep is becoming a full game?
I'd swear it was a mod at one point.

edit: Nevermind. confusing it with something else.

Hofmann

The last part of #Screenshotsaturday and Ludum Dare.

Mammoth - I wasn't expecting that, don't be fooled with a screen - and yes, it's a sex doll with banana in her mouth. That's a game that will be mostly appreciated by oldschool hardcore players, but I believe that everyone will find something interesting here. It's one of the most complex and entertaining top-down action/adventure games released this year, even though it was created with game jam constraints. The story is absolutely amazing. It was so cute and funny I couldn't stop smiling for the whole time – especially during the cutscenes;) Highly recommended. LD - Download link in the title.

Rainwalkers - Wandering in a heavy rain through the empty city in search for a mysterious group of people. LD

Gallery - Really well designed puzzle game with simple yet deep mechanics and some dark undertones. LD

There are tons of other great LD games - for more highlights check out this article.

Dog Sled Saga - Dog Sled Saga is on Kickstarter.

Demise of Nations: Rome - WeGo turn based strategy game that will take place during the Roman times, featuring over 30 factions: Germans, Goths, Slavs, Brits, etc.

? - Sandbox airship building game.

Toma

Cool to see DogSledSaga is already funded! :)

Toma

Yeah, it looks unique, and there're more goals to be reached.

COMPLETE! - $7000 - Dynamic Music The soundtrack will have multiple layers, interchanging as you race, to keep things aurally interesting and respond to gameplay!
------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$8000 - Time of Day and Weather Effects
We've been imagining this one from the start. We would love to do moonlit races and heavy snowfall!
$9500 - Wildlife Activity in Scenery
Another one we've been dying to put in. A hawk flying by alongside you... a small herd of deer staring your way... Lots of extra, time-consuming animation to produce!
$11000 - Embarrassing Instrumental Demo Bonus Tracks on Soundtrack
A handful of songs on the soundtrack were written and recorded over the years by Dan, with guitars and stuff... eek.
$12000 - Trek Mode
Instead of competing in the leagues, pack up your sled and travel day-by-day over long distances. This will be the ultimate test in rationing your supplies and your teams energy and willpower.
$14000 - Breeding for Dog Skill Combos
We've already planned a simplistic, non-dynamic way to carry your favorite dog's legacy over to fresh careers, but we imagine a deep system of skill-blending being VERY appealing (but time-consuming to balance).
$18000 - IndieCade Submission
This one's a bit more for us than for our backers. The festival's submission window closes right after our campaign ends, and if we're financially confident enough to travel and face the expenses of a convention, we would love to fulfill our dream of sharing our game among other developers.
$20000 - One-on-One Multiplayer Tournaments
Sure, tournaments could be organized independently, but we think that structured competition between real players with significant in-game rewards will be a thrill.
$25000 - MusherNet Cross-platform Cloud Saves
To us, this makes a boatload of sense for Dog Sled Saga, but it's tough stuff to pull off. Play the game on your computer, log in to MusherNet, carry your team with you on your phone. (Reminder--backers will get the game on a few platforms.) It will be a big undertaking to set it up and secure it, and keeping up reliable servers will be quite costly.
$30000 - 4 Player Multiplayer
The complexity and server demand of multiplayer will compound as we go beyond one-on-one races, but we think that the reward of such races would be wonderful.

They might actually hit those. Cool thing. I really want to see the breeding at 14k in at least though.

Hofmann

LIT - Repost from the previous thread.
As for the style of gameplay, i'm aiming for a flavor platforming along the lines of Abe's Exodus with the requirement of some classic SCUMM styled thinking. Lots of emphasis on exploration and problem solving rather than actually traversing platforms or killing and junk. Oddworld is sort of my bible in terms of game development.

They might actually hit those. Cool thing. I really want to see the breeding at 14k in at least though.

The lower ones like Wildlife Activity and Trek Mode look great as well.

Toma

So, Storyteller is a late 2013 game? Intriguing concept, can't wait.

I thought summer 2013? Might be misremembering that though. Really looking forward to that one. Going to make a huge splash with the first day Steam release too.

Toma

Yay! Each month feels like Christmas morning thanks to this thread. New, interesting games that I hadn't heard of and excited to try. Thanks Toma!

That was a really cute comment btw. Really glad to hear that people are looking forward to the threads :) Last month, most people didnt get to play much, I hope there are a bit more this time around.

Toma

LIT - Repost from the previous thread.

The lower ones like Wildlife Activity and Trek Mode look great as well.

I just noticed the blurb you put there. Inspired by the Oddworld games with a cool artstyle? Wow. Definitely on my radar.

Hofmann

I just noticed the blurb you put there. Inspired by the Oddworld games with a cool artstyle? Wow. Definitely on my radar.

The guy is looking for some good programmers, so if you got skills and you're interested in the project, you should contact him.

Skyzard

Banned
Excellent thread again Toma, congrats on causing the slowest ever page loading since I've used gaf as well :).

Really hope Luftrauser makes an appearance this month...at least on Vita anyway. Been dying to play since hearing about it and playing the flash game, which is much harder going by the new weapons you get.

Should I click back on page 1 and check out the list again...hmm :p

Missed Broforce and Boredom, giving those a try.

Skyzard

Banned
42 games, make it to check out 1 game per day ;p

I will have to do something similar I think, vita's probably going to repair for a dodgy touchscreen :( . Time to set up windows parallels on this mac and finally install the web unity plugin.

Toma

I will have to do something similar I think, vita's probably going to repair for a dodgy touchscreen :( . Time to set up windows parallels on this mac and finally install the web unity plugin.

Sorry to hear :( Hope its not too expensive/covered by warranty.

Toma

@xra tried the Oculus Rift... that shit is crazy. O_O

Grah, I want to try it too before spending too much money on it. I am afraid due to me being easily motion sick.

Hofmann

I can't travel by bus without taking meds, but I've never had any problems with FPP games. Hope I won't have any issues with OR.

Toma

First Person Perspective

Its not even all 1st person games for me, but I definitely dont think OR is going to make it better for me. But I still really want to try :( Going to be a huge waste of money if it doesnt work out for me.

First Person Platformers.

Random comment, but funnily enough, Mirrors Edge wasnt a huge problem for me.

For FPP, it is usually fixed by correcting the FOV. I still have motion sickness with flashy and colorful games, or games which abuse white flash screens.

Yeah, but you cant easily adjust the FOV in most games, especially not console games :( But maybe thats something devs will make possible on OR games.

Top Bottom