• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Indie Games [May] Now Voting - Post 573!"

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
New thread record!
8S3AryN.png

How's your project going? Maybe tomorrow I'll be in the mood to help you with the list - I could do the march thread.

I did some bug squashing today, so its not that much major stuff, but I should be able to get the information fields and user data entry done today. After that, people could basically already start using it to rate a few games, so that I have some data later to test/compare.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
For the ones interested, this is what I managed to get done today:
68POeil.gif

The stuff is now correctly read out/saved. There still is the occasional bug (like when the Data is incomplete), but so far it works nicely.

I am still missing the input for the impressions and the average there (which I cant do without a few others that give some user scores). Once Hofmann has the database done, and I finished the impressions part, I could need some people to create a few example scores. Don't get too excited yet though :p After I have those, we are still quite far from a usable program, since I still need to do the main part about comparing scores/making a recommendation algorithm.

zkylon

zkylewd
works for me in chrome

also my vote goes to fez already

not that my vote will count since no way I'm playing 5 different games this month, I barely play like 10 games a year.

Toma

Eh, Indies cant be bumped enough :p

10 games!? Some of them take only few minutes to finish.

I dont even need to finish some games, where its just about experiencing a different kind of game or where its about playing something different/in a certain style for a while.

Hofmann

Ok, what the hell is Papers, Please - Notgame, Adventure or Strategy?

And I've been thinking about Notgames category - what do you say about changing it to Post-games? Because they're still using the same language as games, but they focus on something different than mechanics and systems. What do you think?

jello44

Chie is the worst waifu
Donated $10 towards A.N.N.E since he is now taking PayPal donations. Really looking forward to that one.

Axiom Verge looks great too, both games remind me of Metroid, which is always a good thing. :)

zkylon

zkylewd
Shit, you're right. It's 3 am here.
np dude

on the notgame thing, I dunno, outside of a slightly pejorative connotation I feel like notgame is a pretty fitting name.

also, I think I'm at least gonna try the contest games, maybe.

Toma

So that I actually post about Indies again for once:

Cute free and short Adventure/Puzzle game, 999/VLR style, called
No one has to die
OyFYmek.gif

http://die.clay.io/

Hofmann

Sound exploration icefishing v has just been released for free: http://v.icefishingmusic.com/.

Beta impressions:
It's an exploratory experience through the abstract sound driven world - according to dev it sounds like Aphex Twin, Oval, Merzbow, Lustmord, Sunn 0))), etc. You may find similarities to games such as FRACT for example, but there're no artificial puzzles and other annoying fillers, just interaction with the surroundings - more like sound oriented Memory of a Broken Dimension. Every aspect of design plays a subordinate role to the musical one; everything reacts to your actions adding new elements to a created in real time soundscapes - even a shift key to move faster acts as some sort of fast-forward button, distorting the vision around you. Those sound bits spread like a disease filling every inch of space with a visual interpretation, and what a spectacle it is. Sometimes those kind of free exploration games are a bit boring, but here it works perfectly - last two levels just blew my mind - for a few minutes the line between the world in front of the screen and the virtual one vanished.

Toma

my brother recommended me this thing. how is it?

Interesting with quite a good level of intrigue in the story, but the puzzles take some getting used to. Its not too long either. You'll see the hook after finishing it once. The UI is a bit annoying though, you need to press the ARROWS and not pictures or anything else to move a character.

Interesting with quite a good level of intrigue in the story, but the puzzles take some getting used to. Its not too long either. You'll see the hook after finishing it once. The UI is a bit annoying though, you need to press the ARROWS and not pictures or anything else to move a character.

It took me some time to get used to the UI. The game looks interesting so far, did one of the ends and I'm going to the other paths now.

I finished the game, it's really short and the "puzzles" and the plot is engaging.
The history kinda remind me of Steins;Gate since you send your conscience through the time.

I just played No-One Has To Die. Nice little game, although I wish that the puzzles weren't so mind-numbingly easy (probably not easy to do, having to make all floor configurations work for all survivor configurations).

It's also a bit too similar to the aforementioned games for confort. I can't blame someone for getting slightly obsessed with them and wanting to try their hand at something like them, though.

Finally,
the name No-One Hast To Die
, itself, is kind of an unnecesary spoiler, but I guess he wanted to keep people playing.

Paz

There is a new Free Indie Bundle.

- The Silver Lining
- Red Eclipse
- Mayhem Triple
- Antibody
- Deadbuild

Antibody was a small project made by myself, fellow gaffer McSpidey (my brother), and my housemate (waiting for gaf activation) :)

Hope you guys like it, we are working on an update to add new game modes/enemies and add some more security to the leaderboards but it has taken a back seat to Assault Android Cactus development for now.

Antibody was a small project made by myself, fellow gaffer McSpidey (my brother), and my housemate (waiting for gaf activation) :)

Hope you guys like it, we are working on an update to add new game modes/enemies and add some more security to the leaderboards but it has taken a back seat to Assault Android Cactus development for now.

The site seems to be experiencing technical difficulties. Or so Hobo Mario and Hobo Luigi tell me. :D

Toma

Paz

Isn't that a cause for :) rather than :(, though? :D

Thanks! Will do!

Happy that so many people are downloading it, sad that it had to go down! Let me know what you think of the game, it was a small project but we were quite proud of it and learnt a lot about unity pc/mac/android to boot :)

I guess a few guys here know .Hack? There is an Indie RPG that got recently released for now 4,99$ that has the same basic concepts (about you being a player in an online world), called Data Hacker - Initiation:
http://www.desura.com/games/data-hacker-initiation

There is a free demo here:
http://www.studio69games.com/#!shop/cld6

Seems to be a classic RPG combat wise, but I might bite. Demo looked decent enough. Supposedly rather lengthy too (25 hours).

Looks interesting. I've always felt the 'fake game' concept has potential if any developed took it on beyond the grindy Hack games (which I did sorta like, but were fairly grindy). I'll have to give the demo a go though, rpg maker games tend to be more bad then good, hopefully this is a latter.

Toma

Alright! After using Hofmann as a test person, and seeing that his PC didnt explode, the first version of my program is working. I'd need a few volunteers to create a few example/test ratings with the program and post it in this thread. 3-4 test persons would be nice to have. The program does not yet have any fancy average ratings or additional features, but you can rate and write impressions for the Indie Games we covered so far.

Any volunteers?

Hofmann

<Imp>A Slower Speed of Light; 2; Niy.µµµBack to Bed; 2; Niy.µµµBientot l'ete; 5; It's difficult to describe this one in conventional gaming language, because it's not about mechanics at all. It takes up the themes such as love, empathy and loneliness, among many others, in a very intimate manner. Obviously it's not for everyone, but at least give it a try, it's not that expensive.µµµCesure; 3; Niy.µµµDepression Quest; 3; Niy.µµµGorogoa; 5; Gorogoa is a pean sung to praise imagination. With its interwoven puzzle structure and surreal setting it pulls you straight in into this world where nothing is as it seems.µµµKentucky Route Zero; 5; Kentucky Route Zero;5;The game is a riddle itself, athough there's no single puzzle in there, full of wonder and mystery ready to be explored. The thick atmosphere just pours down from the screen, leaving you craving for the next episode.µµµKing of the Wood; 2; Niy.µµµKyoto; 4; Niy.µµµMirrorMoon; 3; Niy.µµµMolto Vivace; 3; Niy.µµµPapers, please!; 5; Niy.µµµProteus; 4; Niy.µµµSlave of God; 5; Here lies one of the powers of videogames, no other media can capture this particular moment when your senses are being torn to shreds so well. It's a great accomplishment to create something so draining and painfull to experience, and at the same time so absorbing in its spot on wackiness. Don't know if he is a genius or a madman, but Stephen Lavelle has certainly done it.µµµStarseed Pilgrim; 4; Niy.µµµThe Sea Will Claim Everything; 3; Niy.µµµThirty Flights of Loving; 4; The only thing I don't like in videogames is a lack of direction, the elegancy of movement seen in movies. They tend to give you full control over everything, it's desirable in some specific cases, but for most of the time, especially in story driven games, it's just a pointless filler, put there to artificially extend playtime. That's why I think TFoL is so important, because it tries to overcome those problems, with some simple movie inspired techniques.µµµZineth; 3; Niy.µµµAtum; 3; Niy.µµµCart Life; 3; Niy.µµµCook, Serve, Delicious!; 3; Niy.µµµMarvin's Mittens; 3; Niy.µµµReprisal; 3; Niy.µµµThe Plan; 4; Niy.µµµTriad; 2; Niy.µµµWaking Mars; 4; Niy.µµµ18 Cadence; 5; It encourages to think and analyze, in a very accessible way. The ''game'' tells a fictional, century long, story of a house at 18 Cadence Street, from the moment it was build in 1900, up to its burning one hundred years later, which ends its life, and everything connected with this place during this period. It's about people and their interwoven fates, about a births of a new life, first loves, lost hopes, about death. How vital role in this context play physical objects of everyday use in portraying undergoing changes: massive wardrobes resistant to the flow of time, the photos leaving with the people to whom they meant anything or even flower bouquets, fleeting to the admirers, in the same way, they will in relation to a history. Things gathered in abudance anticipating the inevitable death of its owners, memories kept in a form of a collection, with each year filling the void after what's been lost, but the time is unrelenting, hundred years whispers measly, that the time will come for them too. Everything is served in a subtle way, like the period of The Great Depression, which we experience through a slowly, year to year, shrinking property. Mixing of those elements;relationships formed between The House at 18 Cadence Street and its Residents - it's a pure poetry.µµµ2x0ng; 3; Niy.µµµAntichamber; 4; Niy.µµµDear Esther; 4; Niy.µµµGretel and Hansel; 3; Niy.µµµKairo; 4; Kairo is a place where nothing is left to chance or at least in unintentional way. Every little piece is constructed to deliver a clues to decipher the logic that lies behind the creation of this world and, with one small exception, it never uses text in any form to do so. That's the beauty of it, it tells a rich story not by randomly scattering audiologs in the most absurd way possible – like Bioshock for example, but with its architecture, sounds, details peeking out the cracked walls, etc., and of course puzzles. The puzzles serve different purposes, but they're always integral part of the world. From the very beginning, in front of our eyes, they start to put the mechanisms into the motion, transforming the space around to help us reach the conclusion. What's more, they're not there to punish;they're just to test the basic abilities. So it's more of an exploratory kind of game than puzzles, even though they make about half of the time you spend with it.µµµKatabasis; 4; Niy.µµµMemory of a Broken Dimension; 4; Niy.µµµPioneers; 3; Niy.µµµRemembering; 4; It takes similar approach to Icefishing v, but the execution is even more radical and minimalistic. The visuals are used only as an entry point for what's happening in the sound space. It's interesting how much power those audio samples contain. For example a seagulls' squawks and sound of waves immediately bring memories of a first time being at sea in me. I really like how open to different interpretations the world is. The devs are describing it as a half forgotten dream and they're right - there were moments I unconsciously closed my eyes, because it felt natural. Pretty cool experience, just be sure to change the controls to mouse only – forward to LMB and interact to RMB – it's much better this way.µµµSouvenir; 4; Niy.µµµThe Aurora Wager; 2; Niy.µµµThe Path; 4; Niy.µµµXing; 3; Niy.µµµFibrillation; 3; Niy.µµµFragments of Him; 4; Niy.µµµGallery; 3; Niy.µµµHope: The other side of adventure; 4; Niy.µµµIcefishing V; 4; Niy.µµµLeaf Me Alone; 2; Niy.µµµLittle Inferno; 5; Niy.µµµLumiere; 3; Niy.µµµPatchwork; 2; Niy.µµµThe Swapper; 4; Niy.µµµUndertale; 3; Niy.</Imp>

Alright! After using Hofmann as a test person, and seeing that his PC didnt explode, the first version of my program is working. I'd need a few volunteers to create a few example/test ratings with the program and post it in this thread. 3-4 test persons would be nice to have. The program does not yet have any fancy average ratings or additional features, but you can rate and write impressions for the Indie Games we covered so far.

Any volunteers?

I'll be glad to offer my fairly limited expertise in aid of the project. I think I can throw up some game opinion with no problem.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Hey Tomato, these have become my favorite monthly threads on GAF, and by far, together with Tunesmith's iOS topics.

I just wanted to ask you if there's a chance for you to add a couple of info on games when known:

• gamepad support
• game can be played with mouse only

What do you say? Thanks, loving all the quirky (but GOOD) stuff I'm discovering thanks to you :)

Toma

Hey Tomato, these have become my favorite monthly threads on GAF, and by far, together with Tunesmith's iOS topics.

I just wanted to ask you if there's a chance for you to add a couple of info on games when known:

&#8226; gamepad support
&#8226; game can be played with mouse only

What do you say? Thanks, loving all the quirky (but GOOD) stuff I'm discovering thanks to you :)

I'd love to include more information eventually and those make also sense to know for Indies. But I think I need to disappoint for now since tracking that would mean creating the threads would take even more time than they do now (which was ~18 hours for the may thread, not including the time to play/test games). Also, IF we include that information, its likely going to be via the tool I am working on atm since I would want to avoid cluttering the thread even more (and I need the space).
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=56788272&postcount=152

Oh and random aside, "Tomato" reminds me of my first avatar I had on GAF:

(M being also the first letter of my name)

Toma

I'll be glad to offer my fairly limited expertise in aid of the project. I think I can throw up some game opinion with no problem.

Awesome, I'll send you a PM once I changed something with the program (trying to make the save files shorter).

Top Bottom