• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Indie Games [May] Now Voting - Post 573!"

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Reminder for me to put the SS posts in the OP.

I'll also probably include an at least 3 games rule to avoid drive by posts from people who didnt try other games. Sucks for the ones tat tried more, but only like one, but it feels a bit needed.

Actually, I would ask for the whole 5 games minimum; it's not that much to ask, I think. If one hasn't had time to find 5 games they like, how are they qualified to throw their vote alongside people that have tried most of the 42? Your vote ends up "games I tried/looked cool in pictures", not "games I liked/are actually good".

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
played 2x0ng and boredom so far. got massive slowdowns in both. weird given their minimalistic styles. not sure which to try out next.

If you want to stay with free action type games, I'd say Burn&Turn and Mayhem Triple.

Btw, started playing FEZ a while ago. And Phil Fish might be the biggest prick in the universe, but this game is disarmingly enchanting and utterly genius. The design is top notch, mechanics work well and the thought that went into creating the puzzles is kinda insane. Braid was simpler and level based, so its kinda hard to compare and I havent played through it yet, but this could very well be the best puzzle platforming game created so far. Kinda considering to stop playing now to play it on Vita later.

Actually, I would ask for the whole 5 games minimum; it's not that much to ask, I think. If one hasn't had time to find 5 games they like, how are they qualified to throw their vote alongside people that have tried most of the 42? Your vote ends up "games I tried/looked cool in pictures", not "games I liked/are actually good".

Yeah, 5-7 maybe for this month would be decent too I guess. Problem is that I have difficulties (see last thread) finding voters as is. Making that barrier even higher is not doing me many favours I think, thats why I'll probably try too see how 3 minimum works out for the current month. But hey all of you others, I'd love more input on this. Any other opinions?

Btw, started playing FEZ a while ago. And Phil Fish might be the biggest prick in the universe, but this game is disarmingly enchanting and utterly genius. The design is top notch, mechanics work well and the thought that went into creating the puzzles is kinda insane.

Unfortunately, I can't divorce the game from the fact that the guy is the biggest asshole to blight the earth. I couldn't play it, let alone pay for it, and enjoy it knowing I gave money to him.

Braid was simpler and level based, so its kinda hard to compare and I havent played through it yet, but this could very well be the best puzzle platforming game created so far. Kinda considering to stop playing now to play it on Vita later.

I don't know, I played the demo way back then on X360 and while not bad, it didn't really jump at me either. Definitely not in the same league as Braid for me.

Yeah, 5-7 maybe for this month would be decent too I guess. Problem is that I have difficulties (see last thread) finding voters as is. Making that barrier even higher is not doing me many favours I think, thats why I'll probably try too see how 3 minimum works out for the current month. But hey all of you others, I'd love more input on this. Any other opinions?

Yeah, I also thought you'd get less votes that way. It's your call as to where you draw the line regarding what even constitutes a valid/useful vote.

Toma

Well, then. I might gif the whole thread:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=552032

wNwDmk4.gif

lamaroo

Unconfirmed Member
I shouldn't have clicked on this thread. My Laptop died, and the only PC I have access to is ancient :(

Any good LP's or similar videos featuring some of these games?

Wanace

Game gets insanely difficult at higher levels. 3 castles are impossible to defend even with nuclear blast dragon breath :(

Excuse the poor current game score, I fucked up getting the screenshot after my actual high score round.

It's pretty funny how GifCam has popped up in pretty much all the threads I'm a regular of, even if they're entirely unrelated. This is the first time I've seen anything cut across several GAF communities like this. Revolutionary indeed. :)

(yes, I've made one already for the GW2 thread and I also thought that this might help the Indie thread IMMENSELY if someone with lots of time is willing to take gifs of most games).

Toma

I shouldn't have clicked on this thread. My Laptop died, and the only PC I have access to is ancient :(

Any good LP's or similar videos featuring some of these games?

Most Indies have decent Lets plays or quicklooks on Youtube, Shouldnt be too hard to find them.

It is an amazing tool.

It's pretty funny how GifCam has popped up in pretty much all the threads I'm a regular of, even if they're entirely unrelated. This is the first time I've seen anything cut across several GAF communities like this. Revolutionary indeed. :)

(yes, I've made one already for the GW2 thread and I also thought that this might help the Indie thread IMMENSELY if someone with lots of time is willing to take gifs of most games).

The only thing I am missing is a setting to use a higher framerate. Kinda weird they didnt think of that.

Game gets insanely difficult at higher levels. 3 castles are impossible to defend even with nuclear blast dragon breath :(

Excuse the poor current game score, I fucked up getting the screenshot after my actual high score round.

Ohh it has been baroughten.

Deos anyone know how to reliably pick up merchants? I took a merchant back to my palace and I got a fireball shield. I can't figure out how to do it again though :(

The only thing I am missing is a setting to use a higher framerate. Kinda weird they didnt think of that.

Can GIFs be any higher framerate than that?

There are a couple of things that could be added, like being able to preview the gif in the "edit" window, or to be able to undo editions.

Toma

Can GIFs be any higher framerate than that?

There are a couple of things that could be added, like being able to preview the gif in the "edit" window, or to be able to undo editions.

Technically? Sure they can. Just compare these two:

A preview would be handy too indeed. But you can work around those shortcomings. However, you'll still be stuck with the lower framerate.

Reciever has apparently been promoted to full steam release.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/234190

It's a permadeath FPS with really detailed gun mechanics. IE: To reload your current magazine, you have to press a button to pull the mag, another button to add bullets, put it back in, pull the slide again if your chamber is dry. There's a help system to figure out what to do next.

They also added a bunch of content apparently.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=GCThInmzjXw

Toma

Game Dev Tycoon - Business sim where you go from developing games alone in your garage to owning a studio with many employees.

It's a clone of the iPhone game "Game Dev Story," but I like it. Clean interface, good time waster.

We had a discussion on this game in the thread about it. Would you say its a shameless rip off/clone? How would you compare it to GDS?

CzarTim

We had a discussion on this game in the thread about it. Would you say its a shameless rip off/clone? How would you compare it to GDS?

It is almost identical to GDS from a gameplay standpoint. Personally, I would have prefered a more sandbox game. Both are pretty linear in the sense that certain events happen at set times on every playthrough. Consoles release on a set date and they do a set amount of market share. Games last for 30 years. Etc. I think it would be more fun if it was a bit more random for replayability purposes.

But shameless is a good word for it. There's so much that could be done with a "game dev tycoon" game, it seems weird to just take what someone else did and add nothing to it.

Toma

Thanks for the answer :)

Random other question. If you were to score Indies in this thread, would you prefer a Like/Dont Care/Dislike scale or 1-10 points?

n8

Unconfirmed Member
Random other question. If you were to score Indies in this thread, would you prefer a Like/Dont Care/Dislike scale or 1-10 points?

A 3-point or 5-point scale would be best.
It might be more beneficial to file it down to like/don't care/dislike like you say for such an in depth thread here, but I also feel there are times where I'll dislike a game but understand the technical/experimental/visionary achievements of it. In that case, I feel like my stance on a game would better work on a 5-point scale if I had to boil down my thoughts to a number.

Toma

A 3-point or 5-point scale would be best.
It might be more beneficial to file it down to like/don't care/dislike like you say for such an in depth thread here, but I also feel there are times where I'll dislike a game but understand the technical/experimental/visionary achievements of it. In that case, I feel like my stance on a game would better work on a 5-point scale if I had to boil down my thoughts to a number.

Isnt a 3 point scale basically like/dont care/dislike?

Hofmann

The numbers won't really matter, if you don't specify what they mean as a point of reference. I haven't played a game yet that I would give 10 out of 10, but someone else could score this way every game that he liked very much. So yeah, I think that's the most important, when creating those kind of grading systems.

Technically? Sure they can. Just compare these two:

A preview would be handy too indeed. But you can work around those shortcomings. However, you'll still be stuck with the lower framerate.

Yep, you're right, I both didn't remember some gifs being that fluid and had been using GifCam for mostly static uses. I wonder if he'll tweak it to allow for that eventually.

I like the three point scale. With so many games, I don't have a ton of time to devote to each , so with a lot I feel indifferent about. Some have an immediate strong reaction, and the ones that hit me I'll probably end up doing a writeup on why the work or don't.

Toma

Well, well. I hope I manage to get somewhere with this.
iuAH1Ca.png

The information fields on the right side arent yet functional, but the integration of the txt file database works, can be sorted by platform and the program can download the screenshots if wanted.

On a different note, I'd need someone to help me out tagging the released games from the Indie threads so far and put it in a txt file in this format: Name[$]Price[$]Platform1[;]Platform2[$]Game link[$]Screenshot Link[$]Genre
For example:
Code:
7 Grand Steps[$]$15[$]PC[;]Mac[;]Linux[$]http://p10.hostingprod.com/@mousechief.com/7GS/Beta_Sale.html[$]http://i.imgur.com/OZUnFmc.jpg[$]Simulation
18 Cadence[$]Free Version[$]PC[;]iPad[$]http://18cadence.textories.com/home.html[$]http://i.imgur.com/Oj5N7eJ.jpg[$]Simulation
2x0ng[$]Free Version[$]PC[;]Mac[;]Linux[$]http://blocky.io/2x0ng.html[$]http://i.imgur.com/ZHYxY3o.gif[$]Action
Assembling the Void[$]Free Demo[$]PC[;]iPad[$]http://rpgmaker.net/games/4502/[$]http://www.abload.de/img/scene02tvx4x.png[$]RPG
Boredom[$]Free Version[$]PC[$]http://www.desura.com/games/boredom[$]http://i.imgur.com/O1eb4Rd.png[$]Action
For that you'd basically only need to copy and format information from the OP's and check for the genre classifications based on this list: http://www.mobygames.com/glossary/genres + an added genre "Notgames". Also make sure that you upload screenshots to an image hoster if its not yet. If anyone wants to do it, feel free to ask me via PM if something is unclear.

Anyone feeling bored? Cant guarantee it'll turn out useful in the end, but I'll try my worst :p Oh and announce in the thread if you consider helping with this, so we dont have multiple people wasting time on the same thing.

Well, well. I hope I manage to get somewhere with this.
iuAH1Ca.png

The information fields on the right side arent yet functional, but the integration of the txt file database works, can be sorted by platform and the program can download the screenshots if wanted.

On a different note, I'd need someone to help me out tagging the released games from the Indie threads so far and put it in a txt file in this format: Name[$]Price[$]Platform1[;]Platform2[$]Game link[$]Screenshot Link[$]Genre
For example:
Code:
7 Grand Steps[$]$15[$]PC[;]Mac[;]Linux[$]http://p10.hostingprod.com/@mousechief.com/7GS/Beta_Sale.html[$]Simulation
18 Cadence[$]Free Version[$]PC[;]iPad[$]http://18cadence.textories.com/home.html[$]Simulation
2x0ng[$]Free Version[$]PC[;]Mac[;]Linux[$]http://blocky.io/2x0ng.html[$]Action
Assembling the Void[$]Free Demo[$]PC[;]iPad[$]http://rpgmaker.net/games/4502/[$]RPG
Boredom[$]Free Version[$]PC[$]http://www.desura.com/games/boredom[$]Action
For that you'd basically only need to copy and format information from the OP's and check for the genre classifications based on this list: http://www.mobygames.com/glossary/genres + an added genre "Notgames". If anyone wants to do it, feel free to ask me via PM if something is unclear.

Anyone feeling bored? Cant guarantee it'll turn out useful in the end, but I'll try my worst :p

what's the goal, to give everyone a tool to use, or to screen scrape the thread to build a review/Impression DB?

Toma

what's the goal, to give everyone a tool to use, or to screen scrape the thread to build a review/Impression DB?

Originally, it was meant to judge review websites based on your own scores and tell you which aligns best with your understanding of votes. I almost finished that, but there is a bit work left to do that I didnt feel like tackling yet.

I used that structure and wanted to make a database with the Indies (maybe all games later on) to check out and get recommendations for. Collecting the ratings from other users via scraping a dedicated GAF thread (the Indie threads for now), comparing them to your own and suggest a game that you might not have played yet that others with the same taste as you seemed to enjoy (and offering some short impressions by those users for that game). This requires everyone to update a single post with their own information later on which I could distribute weekly or something (so that not everyone is scraping GAF the whole day). That could be the make or break point for the game I guess if no one ends up using it, but I wanted to test such a system anyway, so this is as good a reason as any.

There are a few more ideas, but thats the basic idea I guess.

Hofmann

Originally, it was meant to judge review websites based on your own scores and tell you which aligns best with your understanding of votes. I almost finished that, but there is a bit work left to do that I didnt feel like tackling yet.

I used that structure and wanted to make a database with the Indies (maybe all games later on) to check out and get recommendations for. Collecting the ratings from other users via scraping a dedicated GAF thread (the Indie threads for now), comparing them to your own and suggest a game that you might not have played yet that others with the same taste as you seemed to enjoy (and offering some short impressions by those users for that game). This requires everyone to update a single post with their own information later on which I could distribute weekly or something (so that not everyone is scraping GAF the whole day). That could be the make or break point for the game I guess if no one ends up using it, but I wanted to test such a system anyway, so this is as good a reason as any.

There are a few more ideas, but thats the basic idea I guess.

Useful tool. Thanks to similar idea - movie website filmweb.pl - I found a lot of great movies I've never heard before. It presents you with recommendations based on the grades given by other users and shows you the most compatible ones, so you can meet people with similar tastes to yours. But it would be better, if we could create individual accounts and rate them directly in app. I'm not a programmer, so I have no idea if this is possible, lol.

Today I'm too tired, but I could help you with the list some other day, if no one wants to do it.

Toma

Useful tool. Thanks to similar idea - movie website filmweb.pl - I found a lot of great movies I've never heard before. It presents you with recommendations based on the grades given by other users and shows you the most compatible ones, so you can meet people with similar tastes to yours. But it would be better, if we could create individual accounts and rate them directly in app. I'm not a programmer, so I have no idea if this is possible, lol.

Today I'm too tired, but I could help you with the list some other day, if no one wants to do it.

Best idea would probably be a website that works the way I want it to :p But I am not a web programmer, and using the forum at least has the advantage of not needing to worry about accounts since everyone(most at least) only has 1 GAF account so games cant really be unreasonably pushed.

Raxum

Best idea would probably be a website that works the way I want it to :p But I am not a web programmer, and using the forum at least has the advantage of not needing to worry about accounts since everyone(most at least) only has 1 GAF account so games cant really be unreasonably pushed.

I would be able to help with that, unfortunately I'm tied up with plans tonight, and am just about to finish work, so I wouldn't be able to do much until the morning.

Seems like a reasonably easy format though, maybe I could write a script to pull the info out of the threads? Or even pull the info out of a copy/paste of the post... possibly.

Could be a useful little app, but it might be hard to run centrally? Unless you had a downloadable database hosted somewhere that was updated and would be downloaded by the app on a regular basis. Also more than willing to help with the program itself if you'd like (as time allows).

Also, I have a revised copy of my last post in the april thread in the works, just adding a few games and removing Thrive as after review based on a few posts it didn't look as trustworthy as originally noted. That will probably come along tomorrow.

Wanace

Ohh it has been baroughten.

Deos anyone know how to reliably pick up merchants? I took a merchant back to my palace and I got a fireball shield. I can't figure out how to do it again though :(

Boom! Ball is in your court.

I picked up a merchant and a knight, no idea how to replicate it and I got nothing for doing so.

Fucking replicating slimes and wizards summoning skeletons did me in this run.

Toma

Could be a useful little app, but it might be hard to run centrally? Unless you had a downloadable database hosted somewhere that was updated and would be downloaded by the app on a regular basis. Also more than willing to help with the program itself if you'd like (as time allows).

Yup, I have the database in my Dropbox and the program could download it from there. It already works that way for the Indie Game Database and plan to do that for the User Information as well once I managed to set that up.

Seems like a reasonably easy format though, maybe I could write a script to pull the info out of the threads? Or even pull the info out of a copy/paste of the post... possibly.

Actually planning to do it the other way around and if I get to it, only entering the game information in the program and have it create the GAF post layout. Also, the GAF thread has less information on the game, since its missing the genre. But the other way round, it would be easier to include a general description of the game, hm.

Toma

Finally put the SS posts in the OP too.

Toma

That's the point - I haven't even unpacked it:D

lol, I tried it before the thread but didnt play it for long enough to notice game breaking studder. Hope it improves for those that encountered it. I think the current record is 8, might go for that contest.

Hofmann

How's your project going? Maybe tomorrow I'll be in the mood to help you with the list - I could do the march thread.

Top Bottom