• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

"Indie Games [May] Now Voting - Post 573!"

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
Paz was nice enough to give me access to a preview version of Assault Android Cactus, so I want to return the favor and write a preview ;)

1.png
assaultandroidcactus_03.png

Its a shmup style twin stick shooter (that you play with wasd plus mouse on PC). The preview version only had a few missions of the story mode,but apparently the full version is going to have an Endless attack and a boss rush mode as well.

Due to the wealth of these kind of games in the Indie scene, its really hard for them to stick out in any noticeable way. Technically, this game looks clean and performance wise pretty solid with some amazing standout arenas graphically. The blocks level (first screenshot above) is really pretty to watch (a flashlight level was pretty interesting too) and I think one way to make this game really appealing would be to add more variety in how the levels play out generally. The game isnt "missing" them atm, and I havent seen all levels yet, so I dont want to judge that after only seeing the beginning of the game, but I really hope they add more experiences in the full game that change up the gameplay a bit other than boss levels and the 2 different additional level types I saw so far. Most other levels differentiate themselves by spawn points and enemy types, though I need to admit that its kinda impressive to watch dozens of bugs flying up from a hole to attack you.

The game definitely has a big highscore focus, which makes me want it on Vita :p You can usually get through the levels if you keep continuing, since they allow you to continue in a level until your energy is used up, which however will reset your upgrade status to level 0 and you'll get less points. The upgrades and items work nicely, but I really hope they add a bit more variety for the full release. I think its currently only better weapons, speed, general weapon upgrade and more time. Oh yeah, on that note: I think its really clever that they merged the game timer with the health of the player (think Sine Mora). This results in quite interesting game dynamics, when you start considering to rush into a mob of enemies for a health item since the time is running out instead of just ignoring dangerous mobs and kiting them around the arena.

The preview boss also highlights the shmup nature of the game with bullet patterns to learn and avoid. I also really like how the game is rather forgiving if you didnt yet learn how to properly learn the game, yet still manages to be challenging if you go for playing "properly". The game also seems to ramp up the difficulty quite a bit with tons of enemies and different kinds of enemies and enemy patterns.

A few short points, positive:

• Nice art style/ clean graphics
  • Challenging highscore gameplay
  • Some levels show nice variation
  • interesting boss levels
  • Coop/Highscore lists could be good
  • Great boss levels

negative:
  • Not enough different items (How about some static items, like increased pull area to collect orbs, 10% increasing time for item duration, 10% faster cooldown/less heating up for special weapons? etcetc)
  • I'd love to see more level variation in the later levels
  • The speed item seems to be too fast/floaty, I avoided it after a while, making it useless.

This game looks pretty good so far, and I'll likely already buy it in the state it was now, but more level variation would certainly make it stand out even more, while more item variation should allow for the levels to play out differently if you retry them. Definitely a great foundation with a good amount of space left for improvement. Should be on your radar now if you like these kind of games.

Toma

Let me show you through these halls, my friend, where treasures of indie gaming await...
And why did I just play 7 Grand Steps for 2 hours?

The whole family/dynasty event improvement thing is really engaging and actually gives you a feeling for the family you play as. The board game style is a pretty cool touch as well. Into my third generation now, but I am not sure whether I am actually playing it as it should be played :p Constantly running out of coins.

Wok

I am not sure whether I am actually playing it as it should be played :p Constantly running out of coins.

You can keep some coins when going from one generation to another: it might be worth raising two children and saving some money before going to the next generation. It is important to be able to survive the first turns of a new generation.

Toma

You can keep some coins when going from one generation to another: it might be worth raising two children and saving some money before going to the next generation. It is important to be able to survive the first turns of a new generation.
How about the amount of my children? I was completely ignoring everyone but my main child, since I always ended up with lik 5 of them.

Wok

How about the amount of my children? I was completely ignoring everyone but my main child, since I always ended up with lik 5 of them.

If you don't give any coin to your main child, and if he/she dies, you will start with his younger sibling, with almost no money and no talent. It is a risky bet on the main child.

This is my understanding of the game. I may be wrong.

Toma

If you don't give any coin to your main child, and if he/she dies, you will start with his younger sibling, with almost no money and no talent. It is a risky bet on the main child.

This is my understanding of the game. I may be wrong.

Kids can die before they go through the rite of passage?

Step away from the PC for the weekend and all my highscores get obliterated.

Looks like I have some work to do.

Can i just say, I really like the music in 2x0ng? It's so subtly scary, it adds the feeling of something terrifying to the proceedings. It's the secret sauce that changes atari esque colors into massive agents of terror in my mind.

Hofmann

Screenshot Saturday:

Dionysian Dream – New Myth n' Click adventure game based on Greek tragedy ''The Bacchae''.

Fleish & Cherry in Crazy Hotel – Wacky isometric adventure game set in an alternate 30's, inspired by a classic cartoons.

Heroine Dusk – Minimalistic, striped down to skulls and bones dungeon crawling RPG, and a huge stick to - who would have thought - beat the shit out of all evil. There is a demo you can try.

The Maker's Eden – Fans of Point & Clicks shouldn't be disappointed. This one is a hand painted first person adventure game, presented in a style of a motion comic, with some perspective tricks used to create depth and immersion. Check out the cool lookin' interactive art.

Stikbold – Those crazy Danes crave for some blood... and trumpets, and whales apparently, as seen in this local – up to ten players - multiplayer party mayhem.

Cook, Serve, Delicious! - To fat, or not to fat. Extra crispy edition of a Chubigans' restaurant sim launching on may 7th.

Toma

Woah awesome. Mad props to Hofmann doing SS again.

Hofmann

Screenshot Saturday

Lacuna Passage – Someone ordered bacon and eggs? Yes, it's a brand new day on Mars.

Pulsar: The Lost Colony – Fast-paced team-based strategic Shoot Shoot, Bang Bang.

Nowhere – Some abstract form, probably made for the game – futuristic procedurally created sandbox.

lifeless: ECHRO – Pixelated metroidvania focused on fighting bosses. Explore the world, search for items and grow stronger. You have to be cautious, because every enemy can kill you, if you don't find its weakness.

''Still missing a name for this thing, hopefully it comes to me tomorrow!'' - Stylish grass growing life cycle simulator.

Stephen's Sausage Roll – New puzzle game fron Stephen Lavelle (Slave of God), including state of the art rotating fork and a sausage made out of finest pigs.

Toma

I am reaaaally hyped for Lacuna Passage.

Giard

Grass growing simulator? Next up: Paint drying simulator. :p

Is the new expansion for Cook, Serve, Delicious! going to be standalone? I hoped it was going to get accepted on Greenlight, but I'll buy the new one DRM-free if it doesn't.

Toma

Happy that so many people are downloading it, sad that it had to go down! Let me know what you think of the game, it was a small project but we were quite proud of it and learnt a lot about unity pc/mac/android to boot :)

I got to play a bit of it yesterday, although GW2 is kind of eating most of my time now (I'm hilariously behind in testing indie games, something tells me I won't be able to vote this month). Still, it's very fun and playable, feels like a good arcade game. :) I normally have a lot of stuff for feedback/complain about, but I think I would not change anything here, it's very solid. I parlicularly liked how you can bounce shots off the armored ones' fronts into other enemies, felt pretty badass doing it. :)
In short; very good game; guys, do check it out.

Toma

I got to play a bit of it yesterday, although GW2 is kind of eating most of my time now (I'm hilariously behind in testing indie games, something tells me I won't be able to vote this month). Still, it's very fun and playable, feels like a good arcade game. :) I normally have a lot of stuff for feedback/complain about, but I think I would not change anything here, it's very solid. I parlicularly liked how you can bounce shots off the armored ones' fronts into other enemies, felt pretty badass doing it. :)
In short; very good game; guys, do check it out.

Assault Android Cactus is by the same guys (see first post this page). Definitely something to look forward to as well. Oh and yeah, I still need some testers for my program. Willing to try blowing up your PC? :p

Hofmann

Grass growing simulator? Next up: Paint drying simulator. :p

Weed growing sim sounds better?;)

From IS:
What is this? Another spontaneous retreat into the colorful world of Loren Bednar? MAYBE. I looked at this and immediately saw rainbows. I love Loren’s use of color – bands of light strewn across a canvas, and then gaming chalked out in front of it. But this is a work-in-progress and won’t be ready until the end of the month, most likely. It doesn’t have a name. So, Loren, tell the people what it is, please:

“It’s a life cycle simulator for grass in a hyper color world. Kind of like lemonade stand with a lawn cross-section”

SMILEY FACE
Growing grass in soil with colors flying around from another world. Lemonade Stand being that terribly old game in which you strategically managed the eponymous business day-by-day by making decisions that would then be affected by the proceeding day’s events. Weather, I should imagine, will play a big part here.

Is the new expansion for Cook, Serve, Delicious! going to be standalone? I hoped it was going to get accepted on Greenlight, but I'll buy the new one DRM-free if it doesn't.

It's a new standard version and a free patch for the current owners.

Toma

Gunpoint - PC

Wooow! I'm very interested in this one. Looks so cool. Definitely picking it up when it hits the Steam Store. :)

Yeah, I really hope it is what Monaco wasnt - A good stealth game. *still bitter*

Gbraga

The first chapter of The Last Door will be free this month, I hope it gives them a nice boost in order to fund chapter 2.

Toma

The first chapter of The Last Door will be free this month, I hope it gives them a nice boost in order to fund chapter 2.

Can you post here again once its free? (and link it plus include a screenshot)

Wok

Any news when SpyParty comes out? I think it was revealed at the same time as Monaco.

Chris Hecker has been stress-testing the game client and the lobbies with bots. There should be a public beta some time soon.

Impressions for the game review analyzer program

<Imp>6180 the moon; 4; Simple but memorizing platformer where the top to bottom screen looping combined with your insanely high jumping ability forces you to think very outside the box as to how to get past the obstacles.µµµAnodyne; 3; Niy.µµµCesure; 5; Never before walked through a gameworld that is so wide but also incredibly claustrophobic. From the top of the black monolith to the never ending dark seas below this game just oozes nightmarish visions.µµµFactorio; 4; Deep base builder where you start as a simple miner and convert your ore into automated machines, furnaces and conveyer belts. Slowly you develop your creations into a massive mega factory that sprawls across the map and defend your creation against waves of hostile aliens.µµµHammerwatch; 3; Oddly addictive, but still a little crude. This top down dungeon crawler feels somewhat like the natural continuation of the Gauntlet series of old.µµµJelly no Puzzle; 5; There is generally this level of redundancy in puzzle games. The best games have rules so simple you can explain them in 2 minutes, but spend about 45% of the game on levels that tutorial you over and over how to play them. Jelly throws that out the window and I respect and love it for it.µµµLove+; 4; Niy.µµµMicron; 3; Simple but enjoyable puzzle that that focuses on using reflective plates to channel coloured particles into the goal. Strong use of highly dynamic sound gives it a very pleasant air.µµµPapers, please!; 5; Niy.µµµSkullface; 3; Niy.µµµSlave of God; 4; Hits way way way too close to home with this one. Recommend playing it highly, but if you have ever been in the situation it is simulating then prepare to be disturbed.µµµStarseed Pilgrim; 2; Niy.µµµThirty Flights of Loving; 2; Some interesting scenes and use of features more commonly seen in films, but as an overall package it lacks any real impact and ends before it really has the chance to sink in.µµµBroForce; 4; Niy.µµµCart Life; 3; Should be applauded for the message it tries to convey, but its lack of subtlety with the scenarios gives the game a slightly pantomime feel.µµµDoor Kickers; 2; Interesting concept, but beta status means it is very basic and lacking precise control options. Currently not that impressive, but one to watch out for in the future.µµµDriftmoon; 3; Funny little parody RPG that is both over the top in view point and characters you meet. Although the lack of depth holds it back from greatness.µµµDungeon Hearts; 2; Niy.µµµFreedom Planet; 1; Niy.µµµIntrusion 2; 2; Hearts in the right place, but the combination of bullet sponge enemies, repetitive level design and a main character lacking the mobility that is needed to deal with all the rubble that forms makes this a chore to play.µµµQasir Al-Wasat: A Night in-Between; 5; Niy.µµµSuper House of Dead Ninjas; 4; Niy.µµµThe Plan; 2; Niy.µµµUnepic; 4; Niy.µµµWaking Mars; 2; Niy.µµµWooden Sen'SeY; 1; Niy.µµµ7 Grand Steps; 4; Addictive single player board game that asks you to manage the destiny of a family line running over multiple generations. It excels in bringing the world to life by weaving narratives about your family that reflect your choices.µµµ2x0ng; 3; Niy.µµµAntichamber; 4; Niy.µµµDear Esther; 4; Niy.µµµFez; 4; Niy.µµµFTL: Faster Than Light; 3; Niy.µµµLa-Mulana; 5; Niy.µµµMemory of a Broken Dimension; 5; One of the most memorable games I’ve played in years. Its use of effects that are completely unnatural in most game worlds makes disturbingly hostile.µµµMonaco; 5; If Pac-man was a stealth game. Fast paced thievery action although best played as a co-op game.µµµOut there somewhere; 4; Niy.µµµRisk of Rain; 3; Very interesting concept with a lot of potential. You navigate a random world which is getting more and more hostile as time goes on giving the game a fairly manic pace.µµµSpaceChem; 5; Niy.µµµAmong the Sleep; 4; Niy.µµµCandy Box; 0; One of those games I will just never understand. Completely monotonous.µµµChasm; 3; Niy.µµµDust: An Elysian Tail; 5; Enchantingly beautiful game with fast paced engaging combat. If you can take it, it is worth playing on the hardest difficulty to really experience the depth of the mechanics.µµµGunpoint; 4; PUNCH PUNCH PUNCH PUNCH PUNCH PUNCH PUNCH µµµPulse Shift; 3; Nice concept, let down somewhat by slightly floating and inconsistent controls. Although if you are a Kula World fan this is worth checking out.µµµReus; 4; God/time management sim where you order round massive titans who can make mountains and oceans by punching the Earth. That part is as awesome as it sounds.µµµRogue Legacy; 5; Niy.µµµSentinel; 3; Niy.µµµThe Yawhg; 3; Niy.</Imp>

Toma

Impressions for the game review analyzer program

I might put out another version later. Simply replace the content of THAT post whenever you update your impressions or you update them with a new program version. And thanks for thelping out guys :)

Hofmann

I might put out another version later. Simply replace the content of THAT post whenever you update your impressions or you update them with a new program version. And thanks for thelping out guys :)

Will those scores and impressions be saved when you update the program to a new version?

No problem, I plan to just edit that post when I write a new impression rather then fill this thread full of posts that are 50% code.

Anyway, all this talk of 7 Grand Steps made me give the game a go and I am rather enjoying it. I especially like the little bits of story that pop up now and then, they do a very good job humanizing these characters that are essentially only names otherwise and really bring the family to life. I've only reached the twilight period for the 2nd generation but I imagine that I will put more time into it for sure.

Toma

Will those scores and impressions be saved when you update the program to a new version?

Not yet, I am still trying to shorten the readout for the posts, since otherwise we might hit the character limit in the posts soon. I'll start programming the complete score/impressions thing after that. No clue how long it might take though. Its a bit slower since I need to work atm :p

No problem, I plan to just edit that post when I write a new impression rather then fill this thread full of posts that are 50% code.

Anyway, all this talk of 7 Grand Steps made me give the game a go and I am rather enjoying it. I especially like the little bits of story that pop up now and then, they do a very good job humanizing these characters that are essentially only names otherwise and really bring the family to life. I've only reached the twilight period for the 2nd generation but I imagine that I will put more time into it for sure.

Yeah, that was the idea. Eventually, I want to switch over to a dedicated thread for collecting these code impressions anyway, but I need a few example ones to test it.

Wok

I cannot tell why, but this game is addictive for sure. Clairvoyance is addictive too, once you have found a small community of regular players.

Toma

Sorry guys for the issues with the tool so far. Should be easier from now on if you keep it in a folder of your choice. I also just noticed that you need to enter your score BEFORE the impressions, otherwise it deletes the impressions. Going to rectify that for the next version.

Whenever I get a chance to play a game, I think about trying something new in this thread, but I can't tear myself away from Eador. It is so freaking good.

Hofmann

Screenshot Saturday

Breeders - If growing grass is too boring, then this alien life forms simulator may suit your tastes better. Dev build of the game available to download from the site.

Luminesca - Peaceful and quiet underwater exploration game. Currently at 50% off on Desura or directly from the dev.

Sir, You Are Being Hunted - S.T.A.L.K.E.R. in a world of tea drinking and pipe smoking robots, wearin' tweed suits and monocles.

The Bulletromancer - Romantic Bullet Hell Shmup, with no game over screen, but still exciting for everyone - from wussies to pros.

ilamentia - Mechanics shifting First Person Everything. There're 72 challenges and you have to find a right approach to overcome each of them - some involving only a logic and others depending on your skills.

Signs of Life - Survival sandbox platformer. ''It is designed from the ground up to support drop in/drop out online co-op.''

Whenever I get a chance to play a game, I think about trying something new in this thread, but I can't tear myself away from Eador. It is so freaking good.

So Eador is good? As a lover of strategy RPG thingies it looked really intriguing. I may have to pick it up!

TOO MANY GOOD GAMES :).

Toma

More impressions please! Not the cheapest of games to just blindly buy into.

Toma

Random Program Info: Added a "copy to clipboard" button for the readout and made the impression box save upon changing the rating (so impressions dont get lost).

I think the next thing I'll finally work on is reading out the posted impressions, but not sure how far I get tomorrow with that.

And in case someone wondered, so as not to clog up the thread, I posted my own readout on page 2:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=56330484&postcount=57, which means we currently have 3 people that posted it (4 if Weltall gets to posting his as well), which should be enough for testing purposes.

So Eador is good? As a lover of strategy RPG thingies it looked really intriguing. I may have to pick it up!

TOO MANY GOOD GAMES :).

More impressions please! Not the cheapest of games to just blindly buy into.

Sure:

First, it's essentially a high-res remake of Eador: Genesis, so if you've played that, you know precisely what you're in for, but with +1000 to presentation.

For those going in blind:

Strategy RPG. Probably the closest comparison will be Heroes of Might and Magic (no stacks though!).

Each map is a "shard" floating through space. Should you play the campaign (actually recommend this, unlike in most games of this genre), you have strategic choices to make between maps, and rewards gained from maps influence starting choices and such on future maps. This is kind of hard to really explain why it works so well, but it does. I'll try to give an example...

One of my heroes is exploring one of my territories. (Each territory on the map can be explored to reveal special locations, which could hold fights, shops, treasures, special resources, quest stuff, or some combination of these). Exploration also increases productivity, as your settlers can expand and use more of the territory. Anyone, one of my heroes is exploring, and gets into a fight with some trolls. Among their loot is apparently the building schematics for a Haunted Cemetary (I think that is the name). I can now build this in my capital (but don't want to, because I'm a good guy), to allow recruitment of walking dead guards in my provinces. This building is available to be built in my capital in all future maps in the campaign.

There are four main hero classes, and they (sometimes? not sure why) get to specialize into a subclass at level ten. Each feels very different in playstyle. The warrior doesn't really need an army with him to kick ass. The scout is a ranged murderer, but needs an escort to keep the foes off him. The commander gets massive armies of incredibly buffed troops. The wizard can go in a variety of directions depending on spells, from direct damage to summoning, to buffs/debuffs.

Random events happen, presenting choices for good or bad. I mean this both in the moral sense and in the results sense. Skills/heroes/units/spells/economy all seem to either unlock different response options and/or influence odds of various approaches succeeding.

Terrain has more tactical impact on battles than in just about any game I've played. Also, all units gain levels, not just heroes. Goblins are generally not much of a threat, but if you encounter a group that is higher level and in swamps, you are in for trouble, as they can move freely through them and gain bonuses from them, while most of your troops are actually weakened by the terrain.

It's so good that I downloaded Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen from PSN last week, but I haven't even fired it up... and Dragon's Dogma was my GOTY last year

LTTP but starseed pilgrim is kind of amazing.

Okay, I managed to get three apples, and get down the key hole. Got back to the starting area, and built, but managed to trap myself under a mountain of red explody blocks.

Still playing Monaco also. It's not what i expected, but what it is (Madcap, zany, kinda stealthy, hard as hell co-op pacman) is something wonderful. I manage to have fun with randoms, but none of my friends play it.

Thanks for the impressions platypotamus, that DOES sound right up my alley. After I clear through some of my backlog here I may try that out, or wait for a sale if I go over budget this month.

Hofmann

Hofmann

Hohokum - PS3/PS4/Vita

Funded by Sony, so technically it's not an indie. But who cares, it looks gorgeous.

Thread on GAF: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=554798

In Hohokum, players control a floating snakelike creature called The Long Mover, exploring a variety of unique, hand-made environments as they help the world's inhabitants, solve puzzles, and just have fun. Santa Monica Studio's Nathan Gary saw an early demo of Hohokum at IndieCade back in 2011, and was so impressed that he raved about the game to the rest of his team. After a few conversations with Honeyslug, the two companies began their collaboration and have been working together ever since.

We're trying to make a game where people can relax and just enjoy being in a space, and make their own decisions about whether to engage with the "things there are to do" or just fly around making fun shapes and listening to amazing music. There are enough games out there which spend too much time telling the players what to do constantly.

Sony Deserves a fuckton of credit for stepping back and pursing the indie market. And while, I doubt they are going to get the breadth or depth of content that the PC has, a massive indie presence on the PS3/4 and VITA is good for everyone (except maybe MS/Nintendo).

I haven't been interested in Next Gen Consoles much, but sony is slowly winning me over.

Top Bottom