• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

inFAMOUS - The oFFicial Thread

Replicant

Okay I just completed the good ending and I almost peed in my pants. Don't read if you haven't completed it.
So Kessler is pretty much future Cole that turned evil after losing his wife. Ironically Kessler going back in time actually causing him to kill Trish. LOL. Well, I never liked her anyway. She was nasty to Cole half of the time she was alive. Anyway, nice twist and one that Shyamalalan would be proud of.

Now, how am I going to find 30 or so blast shard? Would it be better to just start from the beginning with a map and just find them one by one? Also those stunts from 17 to 21 are bullshit impossible to do.

BigAT

Replicant said:
Okay I just completed the good ending and I almost peed in my pants. Don't read if you haven't completed it.
So Kessler is pretty much future Cole that turned evil after losing his wife. Ironically Kessler going back in time actually causing him to kill Trish. LOL. Well, I never liked her anyway. She was nasty to Cole half of the time she was alive. Anyway, nice twist and one that Shyamalalan would be proud of.
Ending spoilers:
I don't think it was supposed to be ironic at all. I'm pretty sure that it was Kessler's intention to kill Trish when he went back. His dedication to his family (Trish and their child) was what caused him to be weak and unable to fight back during his timeline, so he had to make sure that Cole didn't have those personal bonds to hold him back. Forcing Cole to kill Trish himself would also harden him even more towards his purpose.

Replicant said:

Now, how am I going to find 30 or so blast shard? Would it be better to just start from the beginning with a map and just find them one by one? Also those stunts from 17 to 21 are bullshit impossible to do.

I didn't waste my time on the shards. In inFamous 2 there is a power near the end of your play through that makes finding the shards SO easy.

Cognitive Dissonance, Distilled
I hate how EVERY enemy in this game has the marksmanship skills of an Olympian. It doesn't matter how far away you are - they can hit a moving target with ease.

Also, it's always nice when you see a lone dude shooting up shit and you take him out and suddenly 100 enemies spawn around you. >_<

And why do civilians always decide to suddenly go for a jog in front of you while chasing bad guys? lol

Other than that and those annoying surveillance-devices-on-building side missions I'm enjoying it.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
People hated the surveillance equipment missions? Personally I thought those were some of the best in the game. Loved climbing all over buildings like the goddamn Batman Spider-Man. The stealth missions where you had to follow guys to pick up packets were the worst, as stealth gameplay is never fun as far as I'm concerned. And that mission in the park in the Historical District with the ambushers. Fuck that shit.

And whoever it was that told me the full game was way better than the demo was absolutely right. The demo fucking blew.

Replicant

BigAT said:
Ending spoilers:
I don't think it was supposed to be ironic at all. I'm pretty sure that it was Kessler's intention to kill Trish when he went back. His dedication to his family (Trish and their child) was what caused him to be weak and unable to fight back during his timeline, so he had to make sure that Cole didn't have those personal bonds to hold him back. Forcing Cole to kill Trish himself would also harden him even more towards his purpose.

Yeah, I just rewatched the ending on Youtube. In that case, do we get to find out who is
The Beast
on InFamous 2?

Combichristoffersen

Replicant said:
Yeah, I just rewatched the ending on Youtube. In that case, do we get to find out who is
The Beast
on InFamous 2?

You do. I couldn't be arsed to wait to play the game, so I read the Wiki article last night :lol

BigAT

Combichristoffersen said:
People hated the surveillance equipment missions? Personally I thought those were some of the best in the game. Loved climbing all over buildings like the goddamn Batman Spider-Man. The stealth missions where you had to follow guys to pick up packets were the worst, as stealth gameplay is never fun as far as I'm concerned. And that mission in the park in the Historical District with the ambushers. Fuck that shit.

And whoever it was that told me the full game was way better than the demo was absolutely right. The demo fucking blew.
They would have been alright if there was only one or two of them. I enjoyed the first one well enough for what it was but after doing two I started to loathe them and just ended up skipping them the rest of the game.

Replicant said:

I finished the game just now too and kinda lol'd at the ending but it was pretty cool after all, heh. I also found a spot on the first island, on the top left corner (in near the tunnel) where you can whore out the Casey Jones trophy if you haven't got it yet in about 10-20 minutes. I restarted the game on Hard/Evil this time, maybe NOW I will get that goddamn Have A Nice Fall stunt, got 19/21 on the other save.

SykoTech

Just beat the game on Hard yesterday (Good version). What an ending. I was already kinda spoiled about
The Beast coming
but had no idea about the rest.
Such a crappy life Kessler lived. Losing his wife a,nd family, then going back and killing hi future wife himself. And then getting murdered by himself. Lol.

Pretty fun game all around game all around, despite so many rough spots. Guess I'll actually do the side missions now, then an Evil playthrough.

(Dear Livejournal etc.) Currently at the 16th story mission, the game really isn't that much harder on hard, you die as often as you did with medium or maybe I am just gotten better. Running through the missions while only doing medical clinic/evil sidemissions.

But wow, you'd think that Cole couldn't be any less likable character when you are playing as good Cole but evil Cole really steps it up a notch and is the douchebag of the year

Himself

I'm getting close to the end
just did the poisonous balloon mission It was fun for the first one, but three more balloons after that? zzzzzz...
and I keep reading about how surprising the ending is. I really hope its not some M. Night Shamalyan gotcha ending bullshit. I haven't been spoiled yet, so...I guess I'll find out within the next few days.

Really enjoying this game, but in the second part of the town I get some major framedrops. Strange because that part of town looks not as busy as the first section.

Finished the Evil/Hard playthrough, whored 5000 worth of XP in Street Fight-sidemission and now I am only missing two trophies from platinum: The Hunger and Stunt Master.

The Hunger is easy but time consuming but fuck those stunts. This time I got the High Fall one by luck (in a evil sidemission where there were about 25 enemies on a small roof and still it took me like 20 tries) but not Air Sticky Grenade seems impossible the Infamous Shock Grenades are bitch to aim and Shockwave doesn't float enemies AARGH

I gotta say, playing as evil the last ~3 missions and the side missions were way better.

Combichristoffersen

Doing an evil playthrough now while waiting for my inFamous 2 order to ship. That 'destroy the police station' mission has to be some of the most aggravating shit I've ever seen in any game. It was nothing but pure luck that finally let me complete that fucking shit.

I love being an evil asshole fucking up everyone's shit and randomly killing people on the street just because. So satisfying.

Doing an evil playthrough now while waiting for my inFamous 2 order to ship. That 'destroy the police station' mission has to be some of the most aggravating shit I've ever seen in any game. It was nothing but pure luck that finally let me complete that fucking shit.

I did it by standing on the furthest roof and just blasted it with grenades. You can juice up infinitely but shooting the things you drain, like in this case it was one of those air conditioner things.

Combichristoffersen

PetriP-TNT said:
I did it by standing on the furthest roof and just blasted it with grenades. You can juice up infinitely but shooting the things you drain, like in this case it was one of those air conditioner things.

I did it by just blasting away as many of the cops as I could before doing a thunder drop down to the balcony with the entrance to the police station, and spammed the entrance with megawatt hammer until I blew it up :lol

Edit: And I fucking hate Trish. What an annoying, whiny bitch. And fuck her shitty missions, I don't give a fuck about you or your stupid bus. Wish I could just fry her and dump her body in the ocean. Worst character in the game IMO.

MNC

Downloaded it off PSN for the welcome back package, but didn't start playing it yet. I started playing just now; and damn this game is fun. It starts off fairly regular, and the missions are pretty decent, but the power system + karma is so good! I love all kinds of powerups you can get and upgrading actually makes a bit of a difference instead of just "enlarge stat X". I'm gonna enjoy this one guuuud. I just don't know if I want to go for good or bad D:

I did it by just blasting away as many of the cops as I could before doing a thunder drop down to the balcony with the entrance to the police station, and spammed the entrance with megawatt hammer until I blew it up :lol

Edit: And I fucking hate Trish. What an annoying, whiny bitch. And fuck her shitty missions, I don't give a fuck about you or your stupid bus. Wish I could just fry her and dump her body in the ocean. Worst character in the game IMO.

I got tired of her personality. So angry yet so reliant on Cole for everything.

Got The Hunger by restarting the same mission I whored the XP with, tried to get Air Sticky Grenade but it's frigging impossible as Infamous. Rolled back to my Hero save and got the Have A Nice Fall stunt by following a guide on youtube and trying about ~25 times. I swear to god that stunt is bugged beyond anything. And the last stunt I was missing was... Air Sticky Grenade o_o.

Decided it would be best to do in that same spot with the same style and it took me only one try to get. Woot, Infamous platinum trophy is mine, 2nd retail game plat for me!

I haven't been hooked to a game like this in a long time, but the trophy whoring was kinda exhausting so I am relieved I can put the game down now. Maybe coming back with I2.

KAL2006

Banned
Just started this game, about 3-4 hours in and I am liking it, definitely better than the demo which gave me a bad impression of the game. I really enjoy just moving around the city, I usually am not a fan of open world games, but I am actually enjoying this.

The bus mission is easy since you can control the waves of enemies by simply jumping of it. This way you can take a few enemies at a time. I beat that mission with just slight damage on the bus.

The trish one where you are supposed guard a box in a back ally is way harder. Im trying to beat it on hard/evil. And it is actually quite challenging. You have absolutely zero control over the situation. And you are completely under powered with little to no abilities. Also everytime you die you get teleported just infront of the box. which is the last place you want to be.

Combichristoffersen

Shadow of the BEAST said:
The bus mission is easy since you can control the waves of enemies by simply jumping of it. This way you can take a few enemies at a time. I beat that mission with just slight damage on the bus.

The bus mission wasn't hard, it was just annoying having to do shitty missions because Trish whined at Cole to fix her problems. Fuck that.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I've been stuck on some prison mission forever in this game... just retarded amount of shit firing at you. Kill like three Stay Puft Electricity Men and then three more come at you. In addition to an endless stream of annoying garbage-bag men.

How does Sucker Punch go from Sly to this crap... I don't get it.

One game series is an absolute joy to play and this one is just... not.

Also... being good character is how I enjoying playing most games when it's an option... but this shit is designed to punish people for playing the hero. You can't fucking use your powers, ever.

Evolved1 said:
I've been stuck on some prison mission forever in this game... just retarded amount of shit firing at you. Kill like three Stay Puft Electricity Men and then three more come at you. In addition to an endless stream of annoying garbage-bag men.

I had boosted up whatever powers on good come to Square and Triangle and just kept doing that and recharging. It was intense. I really hope they gathered feedback on these missions and kept the same types from reappearing in inFamous 2.

SykoTech

Evolved1 said:

Also... being good character is how I enjoying playing most games when it's an option... but this shit is designed to punish people for playing the hero. You can't fucking use your powers, ever.

Level up your MegaWatt Hammer and make sure to put your Polarity Wall to good use.

And stop worrying so much about hurting a few innocents every now and then. The penalty for that is very small. Karma Moments are the main factor that determine whether you're a hero or a villain.

SykoTech

A shield that you activate using R2. Looking back, I think you might get that after the jail part. My bad.

However, you can also make it so that you take less damage. That was the first thing I spent my experience points on. Really helps in surviving the hetic fights.

SykoTech said:
A shield that you activate using R2. Looking back, I think you might get that after the jail part. My bad.

However, you can also make it so that you take less damage. That was the first thing I spent my experience points on. Really helps in surviving the hetic fights.
Defense was the first thing I spent my points on, as well as the charge speed when you're sucking up electricity. Both of those are just so vitally important to get early on, because you'll be fucked without them late-game.

And yeah, KOing civilians doesn't move your karma that much at all unless you're actively shooting down every person you see. Don't be afraid to bio-leech a civilian if there's not a reliable source of electricity to recharge with around you.

I was doing the Playing Doctor Side Mission healing cops. The second part requires protecting the shards from reapers. So I ran off killing random reapers and wandered off. I check my mission. It's not there. I didn't abandon it. I'm currently in Warren District. Can I still go back and pick up those shards? Or did I just lost them forever? Btw, that side mission never showed up again.

kliklik

Banned
PetriP-TNT said:
Rolled back to my Hero save and got the Have A Nice Fall stunt by following a guide on youtube and trying about ~25 times. I swear to god that stunt is bugged beyond anything.

I don't think it's bugged. It's just that all three have to land at the same time. Anyway, congrats on your plat!

Professor Beef said:
Defense was the first thing I spent my points on, as well as the charge speed when you're sucking up electricity. Both of those are just so vitally important to get early on, because you'll be fucked without them late-game.

I never bought the charge speed upgrade on either playthrough I did of the game. =P But you're right that the damage absorption upgrades are quite important.

Evolved1

I've now done every possible side mission and found (I think) all the shards available to me before the prison mission... just cannot make myself play it again.

lol

kliklik

Banned
Evolved1 said:
I've now done every possible side mission and found (I think) all the shards available to me before the prison mission... just cannot make myself play it again.

lol

You are standing on the constant-regen-electricity platforms, right? You know there are multiple ones if one breaks? If you're having difficulty keeping up with the enemies, go into slow mo precise aim. You have unlimited shots as long as you stand on the electricity platforms, so you can just play through the whole fight it slow-mo.

As for the giants... I guess you could slow-mo them, or you could hammer them with the uh, hammer. Spamming grenades is also fun.

Quick

Banned
kliklik said:
You are standing on the constant-regen-electricity platforms, right? You know there are multiple ones if one breaks? If you're having difficulty keeping up with the enemies, go into slow mo precise aim. You have unlimited shots as long as you stand on the electricity platforms, so you can just play through the whole fight it slow-mo.

As for the giants... I guess you could slow-mo them, or you could hammer them with the uh, hammer. Spamming grenades is also fun.

This.

Also use Shockwave liberally.

Evolved1

Thanks for the tips... I'm sure I'll beat it next time I try. I've been super close a couple times.

kelbear1

Banned
SykoTech said:
Just beat the game on Hard yesterday (Good version). What an ending. I was already kinda spoiled about
The Beast coming
but had no idea about the rest.
Such a crappy life Kessler lived. Losing his wife a,nd family, then going back and killing hi future wife himself. And then getting murdered by himself. Lol.

Pretty fun game all around game all around, despite so many rough spots. Guess I'll actually do the side missions now, then an Evil playthrough.

A plot hole that kind of bothered me about the ending
is that Kessler is a pretty powerful conduit that could've picked any time to travel to. So instead of screwing Cole so bad, just TALK to him. Or do that mind-meld thing with him from the get go. "Hey, your family will live on the lamb and die a violent death unless you start training now."

Just take Cole into a big empty forest, activate his powers, and train him on set of adventures as a good guy. Then go fight the Beast together as a team, doubling your odds. Why go through all the theatrics and get killed when all you needed to do was mind-meld with him and talk him into helping?

Perhaps the series will do a full-circle happy ending where Cole learns from Kessler's mistakes, time-travels and becomes Kessler, and then does exactly what I mentioned above, and gets to live happily ever after with Trish.

kliklik

Banned
kelbear1 said:
is that Kessler is a pretty powerful conduit that could've picked any time to travel to. So instead of screwing Cole so bad, just TALK to him.

Ya, cuz that would be fun to play.

=P

Irish

Cole should theoretically be much more powerful than Kessler due to the fact that he was actually at the center of a Ray Sphere blast, unlike Kessler, who was merely on one of the fringes.

Evolved1

kliklik said:
Good luck and report back! I want to share in the victory =D

I'm still getting my butt kicked. Trish's bus was like Driving Miss Daisy compared to this. :/

SykoTech

kelbear1 said:
is that Kessler is a pretty powerful conduit that could've picked any time to travel to. So instead of screwing Cole so bad, just TALK to him. Or do that mind-meld thing with him from the get go. "Hey, your family will live on the lamb and die a violent death unless you start training now."

Just take Cole into a big empty forest, activate his powers, and train him on set of adventures as a good guy. Then go fight the Beast together as a team, doubling your odds. Why go through all the theatrics and get killed when all you needed to do was mind-meld with him and talk him into helping?

Perhaps the series will do a full-circle happy ending where Cole learns from Kessler's mistakes, time-travels and becomes Kessler, and then does exactly what I mentioned above, and gets to live happily ever after with Trish.

Yeah. Kessler's actions were way too extreme, and not for very good reason. I thought losing Trish was the big reason he went back to change the past, then he kills her himself? What? Becoming an enemy of his past self instead of a partner seemed like a rash thing to do as well. What if Cole would have accidently died? Ooops, future screwed! Made for some good drama and irony though.

kelbear1 said:

I think that the point was that unless you are emotionless psycho you have no chance beating the Beast.

And am I the only one who things that this game is super easy minus all the random deaths that happen on any difficulty level.

Like on that prison mission, stand on the platform and spam shock grenades and megawat hammer & the normal ammo and don't stop until all enemies are dead. If they get too close spam shockwave and repeat. Low on energy. Drain the platform, you gain energy faster than the enemies can hurt you. Lose the platform? Strafe around in circles and repeat, the enemies can't really hit you.

And next points are bit more on the "abusing the game" side but the abusing the checkpoints can be bit too tempting. Too many enemies when you are arrive the next objective? Kill yourself and all the enemies that you left behind but are still shooting you vanish. Low energy on the bus/helicopter escort missions? Learn the checkpoints, the conditions reset to presets, like "Light Damage" after the second checkpoint. etc. And oh, spam shockwave ALL THE TIME and don't stop. Protecting the medical crates. The enemies come always from the same direction so pre-emptively spam Shock Grenades in their general direction to kill 90% of them. Having trouble approaching a building
like saving Trish from the top of the hospital
? Take the long way, no enemies there.

I mean I pretty much loved the game but it's a prime example how checkpoints make modern games very easy (but often result in unfair deaths). And don't stop spamming the normal attack, it will hold the enemies back and often cancel their attacks.

You will die. A lot. But it's easy to progress when you can just fight yourself to the next checkpoint, even if it requires you to martyr yourself

kliklik

Banned
Evolved1 said:
In every conceivable way.

There's just too much shit shooting at me and no good place to find cover. Concentrate on the mechs and a million garbage men pile up... try to kill them and the mechs flanks me with their super powerful cannon or ranged mortar attack. The platforms get blown to shit straightaway. So I've been trying to avoid standing directly on them and juice off them from cover but it's not really working. And there's no real cover on the platforms... not to mention even with my huge energy bar I rip through power cores in an instant, leaving me with little more than reg lighting. Then god forbid you take damage, there's no place to regen and the screen is desaturated and impossible to see anything.

This is almost laughably frustrating.

Edit: I hate you PetriP-TNT

I hate how it desaturates right when you need to see clearly the most.

There is a platform on the very left side of the fight that has short walls - you can take cover there. I think that's during the second part of the fight, when the big conduits enter. Take them down fast with either the hammer spamming or in slow-mo.

For the first part of the fight when it's just the garbage men coming in, they really shouldn't get a chance to break your platform if you're spamming your grenades or using constant slow mo to take em down. Like, never stop with the slow mo unless your screen has desaturated. The energy will recharge on its own - you don't need to manually do it. You can keep firing shots in slow mo even when you look like you have no juice left. They shouldn't get anywhere near you. You should be killing them right as they enter.

If you're still having problems, look up some youtube vids of the fight. That should give you an idea of a survival strategy.

EDIT: Yay you beat it!

Replicant

kliklik said:
I hate how it desaturates right when you need to see clearly the most.

Ugh, Uncharted does this too. And you know what's the worst thing is? The color of the crosshair in both games are white. That means when the game desaturates, you can't see what you're aiming at. I really hope ND will fix this in Uncharted 3 but when I saw the E3 gameplay sequence, I lost hope that they'd change it.

As for inFAMOUS' story, I just realized that Kessler went at it the wrong way.
How the hell did he not bother to investigate who is the beast and what created it. He should have figured that the problem started with the ray sphere so all he has to do is to destroy it far far away from any civilization.

Top Bottom