• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinite Warfare borrow designs from Halo?

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWVYWdwGmrY

So I know all SciFi is pretty iterative and borrows from other franchises, including Halo. I know the Pelican clearly took inspiration from a ship in Alien.

However, I remember seeing the Infinite Warfare reveal trailer and thinking, "Wow that one ship is just straight up a Pelican from Halo". Some of my IRL friends agreed with me on this. Infinite Warfare's release is soon and more stuff has come out. I saw this video on my feed and wow, some of this stuff is blatant. I dont agree with the Mantis, but the Jorge part and the concept art in the loading screen truly seem like straight up rips. It could be a homage, but again it seems way too similar to be even that.

The most blatant:

Jorge from Halo Reach:

jorge.png

Character from IW:

infinguy.png

Loading screen from Reach:

reachloading.png

Loading screen from IW:

infiniloading.png

Izuna

Banned
Pretty sure Halo didn't invent space. There are bound to be many similarities in pretty much all futuristic space shooters.

I'm at work and can't really look at YouTube right now... got any images showing the similarities?

Also, FWIW, I always thought that the designs for the Pelican and Pillar of Autumn in Halo were a little too similar to the dropship and Sulaco from Aliens respectively.

Izuna

Banned
If you watch the video you would know it is about much more specific things.

That video title...

Does you OP not summarise it? Some character designs like big gun wielding big guys? Hardly Halo original...

I'd watch but I don't have earphones and on the train :'(

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
I mean, OP you answered your own question. The Pelican isn't the only thing from Alien/Aliens that's in Halo either.

I don't see it as borrowing or copying. I see it as paying homage to things creators liked or were inspired by.

I mean there are similarities but Halo's designs themselves are hardly original. Couldn't watch the video with audio but I didn't see anything striking in the images
Edit: I take it back, yes there are some striking images.

Surface of Me

I'm at work and can't really look at YouTube right now... got any images showing the similarities?

Also, FWIW, I always thought that the designs for the Pelican and Pillar of Autumn in Halo were a little too similar to the dropship and Sulaco from Aliens respectively.

Ill update the OP too:

Jorge from Halo Reach:

jorge.png

Character from IW:

infinguy.png

Loading screen from Reach:

reachloading.png

Loading screen from IW:

infiniloading.png

Yeah, it's in the first paragraph of the OP.
Which is why accusing it of being a rip-off just seems like a stretch to me. I'm not sure how you get from admitted the Pelican took inspiration to saying but the CoD ship is just a step too far and a ripoff.

Ghazi

That "loading screen" is a nameplate from Black Ops 3, I'm pretty sure. Unrelated to IW.

E: I see someone's already mentioned it.

vewn

Also from the video:

Halo 5 Rocket Launcher
latest

Infinite Warfare Rocket Launcher
(It's even called "Spartan SA3")
latest

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Also from the video:

Halo 5 Rocket Launcher
latest

latest

Indeed. Making it a homage. They are obviously referencing this stuff, because they are fans. Not because they think stealing it will make their game more appealing.

Surface of Me

"Loading sreen from IW" is actually a calling card from Black Ops 3.

That "loading screen" is a nameplate from Black Ops 3, I'm pretty sure. Unrelated to IW.

E: I see someone's already mentioned it.

The video claim it uses the image as a loading screen. And even if it is from BLOPS3, that just means BLOPS3 copied Halo and IW copied BLOPS3. ;)

The full image from the video saying it is a loading screen:

again.png

Fliesen

Also from the video:

Halo 5 Rocket Launcher
latest

latest

while the loading screen thing and even Jorge are rather blatant, i'd give em a pass here. "futuristic rocket launchers" are often times just a big pipe with:
* a shoulder rest
* a handle with a trigger
* a handle for your 2nd hand.

and, to be fair, it was Halo 5 that went from the more inspired double-pipe design from previous halo games to this super generic design.

Falk

that puzzling face
Also from the video:

Halo 5 Rocket Launcher
latest

latest

next you're going to tell me the guns in infinite warfare have a long narrow cylinder where the bullets come out from

What does "homage" even mean anymore?

It's an easy way to steal art syle, assets, ideas and concepts without risking anything :p

Clearly don't know what to think here... it's obvious that they were inspired by Halo but is it an hommage (name of weapons seems like it is) or a sort of lazy use of things in successful franchise (loading screen is too copy/paste like)?

SomTervo

Indeed. Making it a homage. They are obviously referencing this stuff, because they are fans. Not because they think stealing it will make their game more appealing.

This crossed my mind, too. Especially the loading screen. It's very similar but not unlike someone who is just a really big Halo fan leapt at the opportunity to adapt the artwork.

The map that is the mock 1950's style train station is literally set on a halo ring

Look up at the skybox - it's like playing halo and looking at the skybox

Not a concept that only halo has used but the inspiration seems clear

Top Bottom