• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinite Warfare borrow designs from Halo?

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
There's a bunch of converging evidence here, and even if Halo didn't invent something, taking so many things from it's interpretations and image is pretty suspect.

SaganIsGOAT

It's a tribute to Halo Reach. Of course it's going to look like the Halo Reach art work. Unless you wanted them to make it a tribute to Halo Reach by making it look nothing like Halo Reach and therefore not a tribute?

Tribute? Lol that smoke in the Reach loading screen is the exact same as the Blops 3 picture

7kNRGzh.jpg

A lot of that stuff seems like it's really reaching to me. The ring-shaped space station, the robot that (doesn't) look like the Mantis, etc.

And the video seems a bit dramatic lol. "They're basically just rubbing our noses in the dirt now!" whysoserious.jpg

Arkeband

Banned
It's a tribute to Halo Reach. Of course it's going to look like the Halo Reach art work. Unless you wanted them to make it a tribute to Halo Reach by making it look nothing like Halo Reach and therefore not a tribute?

"It's a TRIBUTE" is so pathetic of an excuse.

Let's be real here, Call of Duty is no stranger to a lack of creativity and originality. Of course they'd get caught stealing.

Tribute? Lol that smoke in the Reach loading screen is the exact same as the Blops 3 picture

tumblr_m660ccvmjw1qk26dzo1_500.gif

hqdefault.jpg

kanuuna

Other than the calling card, I don't see anything blatant. Calling them out for having a game mode that's similar to whatever Halo 5's "carry the bomb to place" mode is just ridiculous. Why not call out Destiny and it's Rift mode while you're at it?

Also, the concept of a ring shaped world wasn't invented with Halo.

Kalentan

"It's a TRIBUTE" is so pathetic of an excuse.

Let's be real here, Call of Duty is no stranger to a lack of creativity and originality. Of course they'd get caught stealing.

Did you guys look at the challenge at all?

It's to play the Arena Ranked mode in Black Ops 3. Guess what the ranked playlist was called in Reach? Arena.

So they made a calling card in reference to the Halo Reach Arena mode.

Clearly when Borderlands 2 made it's Dark Souls reference, it was just stealing. Not tributing or referencing.

Arkeband

Banned

It's to play the Arena Ranked mode in Black Ops 3. Guess what the ranked playlist was called in Reach? Arena.

Clearly when Borderlands 2 made it's Dark Souls reference, it was just stealing. Not tributing or referencing.

Borderlands 2 stole art assets?

No, no they did not.

Kalentan

Borderlands 2 stole art assets?

No, no they did not.

I mean outside the one smoke looking similar, it's clear it wasn't just stolen and edited. It's clear it was a newly drawn image.

It's meant to be a reference. Could they have made it not so blantly? Yeah. But trying to just make it out to be that they wanted to steal it when based on the challenge it's clearly intentional.

But yeah, clearly they didn't want to reference Halo Reach. They just wanted to steal it. That's why the challenge itself is a reference to Reach. But no, clearly that isn't the case. They were just thieves!

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace

..something as generic as the term "Arena" for a multiplayer FPS mode is sufficient for making something a reference?

..am I missing something here? How does this train of thought then apply to our buddy Jorge or the alt-universe pelican?

Some stuff alone seems reaching in that video, but man is there a lot of stuff which they should know should not be so similar to stuff in their competitor's games.

Arkeband

Banned
I mean outside the one smoke looking similar, it's clear it wasn't just stolen and edited. It's clear it was a newly drawn image.

It's meant to be a reference. Could they have made it not so blantly? Yeah. But trying to just make it out to be that they wanted to steal it when based on the challenge it's clearly intentional.

But yeah, clearly they didn't want to reference Halo Reach. They just wanted to steal it. That's why the challenge itself is a reference to Reach. But no, clearly that isn't the case. They were just thieves!

Oh, I'm sure they wanted to reference Halo Reach. They referenced it by stealing artwork.

SaganIsGOAT

Stealing just the smoke is still stealing. It's not even redrawn, they've literally just added some adjustment layers on top of it. Other parts of the image have been tweaked and modified obviously but don't tell me they redrew everything when they clearly didn't.

Kalentan

..something as generic as the term "Arena" for a multiplayer FPS mode is sufficient for making something a reference?

..am I missing something here? How does this train of thought then apply to our buddy Jorge or the alt-universe pelican?

Some stuff alone seems reaching in that video, but man is there a lot of stuff which they should know should not be so similar to stuff in their competitor's games.

First of all, both games had "Arena" used to referring to the Ranked Playlist. That combined with the calling card clearly shows they intended for the calling card to be a reference. Like are we just going to ignore the challenge in combination with the calling card art work?

As for the Pelican, it's a realistic design. Plus if you watch the COD XP SP demo, the interiors are nothing alike. It's also just a generic design regardless. If you search Sci-FI drop ships, you get a lot of images in the same vein. Unless you believe all of those artist also stole them from Halo? We know IW designed a lot of the ships by consulting with NASA and the Military. It's very likely the design was birthed from that.

While the Jorge thing is for sure a bit too close. It's also just again, generic big suited sci-fi soldier. To which, it's not even the default design of the characters. It's an alternative outfit you need to unlock.

Stealing just the smoke is still stealing. It's not even redrawn, they've literally just added some adjustment layers on top of it. Other parts of the image have been tweaked and modified obviously but don't tell me they redrew everything when they clearly didn't.

Not even redrawn? Did you even look at the two images? You seriously think they added one layer and just tweaked things? There's enough changes you would need to do more than a little bit of tweaking.

Oh, I'm sure they wanted to reference Halo Reach. They referenced it by stealing artwork.

Okay I'm starting to think I'm understanding people in this thread now.

SilentRob

The smoke doesn't look similar, it's the same. What is actually clear is that someone at Treyarch actually did simply steal and edit that picture. The smoke is very clear evidence for it. That's not a reference. That's taking another artists work and painting over it. It's like taking another person's movie, cropping out the character's heads, inserting yourself and then call it a "reference". Not how that works.

Also, I'm not sure I'm with you with the whole "reference" thing. "Arena" is not a mode specific to Halo, nor is Halo really known for it. There are many games with "Arena" modes and Halo is simply one of them. The Word "Arena" itself isn't regularly connected to Halo at all. And why would they reference Halo: Reach in a game from 2015? And what's with the armor design, it's clearly very heavily influenced by the Reach design, almost copied at places (same for the Recon Helmet)...why isn't that a reference then?

Auctopus

I think it looks like copied/plagiarised artwork. Why would they do a "tribute" to Halo: Reach? That's like doing a tribute to Call of Duty and choosing a scene from Big Red One.

Monocle

I think it looks like copied/plagiarised artwork. Why would they do a "tribute" to Halo: Reach? That's like doing a tribute to Call of Duty and choosing a scene from Big Red One.
Yeah, not really a tribute with the exact same smoke, and very similar poses, composition, and color palette.

Kalentan

The smoke doesn't look similar, it's the same. What is actually clear is that someone at Treyarch actually did simply steal and edit that picture. The smoke is very clear evidence for it. That's not a reference. That's taking another artists work and painting over it. It's like taking another person's movie, cropping out the character's heads, inserting yourself and then call it a "reference". Not how that works.

Also, I'm not sure I'm with you with the whole "reference" thing. "Arena" is not a mode specific to Halo, nor is Halo really known for it. There are many games with "Arena" modes and Halo is simply one of them. The Word "Arena" itself isn't regularly connected to Halo at all.

Do people not read or something? The challenge on it's own wouldn't be a reference. It's the combination of the challenge and the art work that make it a reference. How is that hard to understand? I'm thinking people are having trouble understanding that.

SilentRob

Do people not read or something? The challenge on it's own wouldn't be a reference. It's the combination of the challenge and the art work that make it a reference. How is that hard to understand? I'm thinking people are having trouble understanding that.

No one has trouble understanding it. People just disagree with your argument.

I'm not sure how anyone can deny the obvious imitation. The IW loading screen looks like the Reach screen was literally overpainted by a crappier artist using the same file.

It's not an Infinite Warfare loading screen though, and this misinformation is really muddying the waters.

Kalentan

No one has trouble understanding it. People just disagree with your argument.

I just find it funny that even /r/Halo on Reddit even were like: "Oh yeah, it's totally a reference."

And then once that was pointed out, no one had a fuss. Yet everyone here is acting like they committed high treason.

basefree

This sort of thing actually happens all the time in the industry, especially when rapid conceptualisation is required, and they want to quickly explore things like mood or colour. However, it really isn't supposed to go beyond that point and become final artwork, getting caught out is pretty embarrassing. Uncharted 4 using Assassins Creed placeholder art comes to mind.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
The ring planet or whatever is not from Halo, it has featured in many Syfi films and TV shows pre dating Halo which is where Halo got it from.
The Pelican don't look like the ship from IW either, the Pelican looks like a rip off of the Avengers Quinjet
which looks the same in the comics too yet again pre dating Halo.
The bomb game mode was in AW too and its not new to IW, they may have ripped it from Halo but I don't think its the same thing gameplay wise
The Robot from IW looks nothing like the ED-209 rip off from Halo either.
The characters and artwork he has a point, btw that is not a loading screen its a Challenge card in Barracks but those challenge cards always resemble something else.
Ironically the thing he didn't mention was the lineup of your team which Treyach ripped off in BLOPS3 and has returned in IW.

SaganIsGOAT

I just find it funny that even /r/Halo on Reddit even were like: "Oh yeah, it's totally a reference."

And then once that was pointed out, no one had a fuss. Yet everyone here is acting like they committed high treason.

If I were to just copy and paste portions of articles into college papers turnitin.com would consider me guilty of plagerism. This is why we paraphrase when referencing.

Referencing is not a license to steal

Kalentan

Also are the colors of characters customizable in multiplayer? The Jorge thing looks like the in-game cosplay players do to make their in-game characters look vaguely similar to characters from comics, movies, anime, etc.

They are not. Although this is what the character normally looks like:

The one in the video is different helmet and body. Although I have no idea if they're from the same set.

Wedzi

Banned
As a Bungie era Halo fan, it's nice to see inspiration taken from their work. I doubt it's anything malicious. Loved Marcus Lehto's work on Halo so seeing anything that can be interpreted as inspired from his designs is pretty cool

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
You'd think before making the video he would have researched what Halo has ripped off.

If I were to just copy and paste portions of articles into college papers turnitin.com would consider me guilty of plagerism. This is why we paraphrase when referencing.

Referencing is not a license to steal

While I agree that stealing part of artwork directly is more than just a reference, how do you know MS/343 didn't okay this little easter egg/reference? Maybe Frank O'Connor or Bonnie Ross sent an email to whoever the boss of Treyarch is okaying the use of the image.

Kalentan

So its Treyach ripping off Halo.
The lineup at the beginning is blatant.

Well matches in BO3 nor IW begin with showing the characters. It's only at the end in the "Winners Circle", which if your going to damn BO3 for doing. Mind as well damn Rainbow Six: Siege as well, since it does the same thing too.

Winner's Circles are something that will be appearing more often now. Though I think it will be primarily in games with customization that are FPS. Since otherwise in Siege or CoD, you don't actually get to see your character customization still until the end.

shandy706

Well, those two images in the OP are definitely very similar. Especially that first set. Looks like nearly the same character with alternative designs.

EGM1966

Loading screen definitely looks like a homage but the core designs are pretty generic really and all owe a big debt to SF films and art and I'd see IW copying those just as much as Halo did.

Top Bottom