• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinite Warfare borrow designs from Halo?

CSJ

The first picture in the OP isn't even worth mentioning at all, dude in heavy armour is a dime a dozen and I can't see any specific similarities. But the second one, eesh.

It's not like they're ripping off core designs. They're pretty minor things like a loading screen. I mean, Witcher 3 had a part where you walk into a cave with a sword in a bonfire and kneel down in front of it. You could fool someone it was dark souls footage almost but it was obviously intended. That armour has got to be too.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Ill update the OP too:

Jorge from Halo Reach:

jorge.png

Character from IW:

infinguy.png

Loading screen from Reach:

reachloading.png

Loading screen from IW:

infiniloading.png

Those I can deal with, but the Pelican or the bomb? C'mon...

I watched the video in the background, but I think some of these things are tenuous at best. I will give it another proper watch later.

FWIW not defending COD at all (I have little interest in the series), but a lot of sci-fi content cribs from other stuff. For example, I believe the concept of the space ring structure originates from the 1970 novel Ringworld, and I always felt like the Flood and Elites in Halo resembled the Aliens (as in Ridley Scott/James Cameron) and Predators (1987 Schwarzenegger film) respectively, and the marines are lifted straight out of Aliens, with Johnson in particular being a carbon copy of Apone. To be fair, Cameron almost seemed to retaliate as I felt like some of the ship designs in Avatar were straight out of Halo!

EDIT - to clarify, I think Halo is brilliant and I love most of its designs, but it felt more like a slick amalgamation of other ideas and designs rather than anything which felt particularly original.

That load screen is egregious and unless it's an honest tribute that they got permission to use, which I doubt, I will never understand why art like this can end up in a final AAA product.

Edit:

Actually, now I see in the thread that the original purpose of the image may have been and honest tribute in Black Ops 3.

The 2nd image that people are finding so "damning" isn't even from IW, it's from Black Ops 3, and it's a calling card. It's obviously an intentional reference to Halo: Reach that one of Treyarch's artists thought would be cool to include in the game. I see nothing wrong with that.

Kalentan

I watched the video in the background, but I think some of these things are tenuous at best. I will give it another proper watch later.

FWIW not defending COD at all (I have little interest in the series), but a lot of sci-fi content cribs from other stuff. For example, I believe the concept of the space ring structure originates from the 1970 novel Ringworld, and I always felt like the Flood and Elites in Halo resembled the Aliens (as in Ridley Scott/James Cameron) and Predators (1987 Schwarzenegger film) respectively, and the marines are lifted straight out of Aliens, with Johnson in particular being a carbon copy of Apone. To be fair, Cameron almost seemed to retaliate as I felt like some of the ship designs in Avatar were straight out of Halo!

EDIT - to clarify, I think Halo is brilliant and I love most of its designs, but it felt more like a slick amalgamation of other ideas and designs rather than anything which felt particularly original.

Also I'm pretty sure there is real life science for building a ring space station. Pretty sure the rotation of it can most likely help to create a sense of gravity. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) But I believe you can even go back to watch 2001 and that's why they made the ship partially a ring and rotating.

Newlove

Looks like a Calling Card instead of a load screen. But yeah...clearly we know where the inspiration came from with that one.

Also I'm pretty sure there is real life science for building a ring space station. Pretty sure the rotation of it can most likely help to create a sense of gravity. (Correct me if I'm wrong.) But I believe you can even go back to watch 2001 and that's why they made the ship partially a ring and rotating.

I believe that is correct, but I think to create gravity on a spaceship you need to have something rotate around a centre of mass. Not sure that would work with a ring shape as there's nothing central to anchor it.

Kalentan

So... the rocket launcher for doom or any game from the 90s?

Just googled the Doom rocket launcher. Huh, personally I think it looks even closer to the Halo one than the IW one.

It's grey in this picture but in others is green.

That loading screen, tho

Calling card from Black Ops 3, not a loading screen and based on the challenge to get it- makes it a clear homage to Reach.

Edit: Can the OP update his post before more people come in misinformed?

Kalentan

Jesus. This is the worst offender imo. I wouldn't doubt if they literally just worked on top of the original Halo Reach screen. Ever character is there with slight tweaks. Cmon lol

I will quote myself.

Again... (and I imagine not the last until the OP updates... which I doubt), it's a calling card in Black Ops 3 whose challenge is to play in Arena. It's a clear reference to Halo Reach.

From another post:

again.png

Duxxy3

Multiplayer characters design froms Halo. Boots on the ground gameplay from Ghosts. Boost gameplay and all other multiplayer mechanics from Black Ops 3. Single player from Killzone. Zombies from Black Ops series

To be fair though... this happens a lot, and not just to Call of Duty titles. Teams take what they want and run with it.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Loading screen from Reach:

reachloading.png

Loading screen from IW:

infiniloading.png

Holy shit that looks like straight up plagiarism. Aside from the foreground, the background people standing in the exact same positions wielding the same weapons. It's like someone ran that Halo picture in photoshop.

Kalentan

Holy shit that looks like straight up plagiarism. Aside from the foreground, the background people standing in the exact same positions wielding the same weapons. It's like someone ran that Halo picture in photoshop.

Quoting my self. Again.

I will quote myself.

Again... (and I imagine not the last until the OP updates... which I doubt), it's a calling card in Black Ops 3 whose challenge is to play in Arena. It's a clear reference to Halo Reach.

From another post:

again.png

For even more clarification, Arena was a mode in Halo Reach. I believe it was the ranked mode, and it was also the ranked mode in BO3.

Oh no, the artwork for one calling card in Black Ops 3 is a tribute to Halo Reach. Those bastards!

Who honestly cares? It's a cute little reference, nothing more.

Kalentan

Why are you misinforming us OP? The picture is still a total rip off lol

It's a tribute to Halo Reach. Of course it's going to look like the Halo Reach art work. Unless you wanted them to make it a tribute to Halo Reach by making it look nothing like Halo Reach and therefore not a tribute?

Top Bottom