• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinity Ward confirms: CoD Ghost is 720p on Xbox One, 1080p on PS4

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
To be ABSOLUTELY FAIR to Albert Penello (even though I definitely think the difference is 30%+ period), this news wouldn't necessarily suggest there was a 30%+ power advantage... because the culprit many are blaming is that the tools are still not as mature as PS4's and the added complexity of the ESRam set up is causing development time to be considerably longer. For tight launch deadlines, that would mean sacrifices. The tools are obviously going to improve, and devs are going to get used to the ESRam set up.

So, even though I am almost 100% sure the difference is 30%+, I would just wait until next Christmas to compare titles and make that final nail in the coffin, so-to-speak. :)

Also, this is one game. One Cross-gen game by one developer on an engine that could use some work. DICE has BF4 running at 900p on Xbox One, and the game itself looks FAR better than CoD has.

This comparison will get much more interesting as we leave last gen behind, but I don't think we can come out and just straight up rip Penello yet when this could have more to do with the developer than we know.

sono

hofway7vboyi.jpg

codhand

Wow, what garbage.

Preferred to get this game on Xbone for a variety of reasons, but I'm not settling for this. Preorder switched to PS4. Now I have to play CoD on the Dual Shock and have two redundant FPSs at launch. I don't know, fuck this. I still don't want it on the PC because CoD (unlike Battlefield) just isn't a PC franchise.

so much whaaat.

Liamario

Banned
Just read this on ign. Pure gold.

I don't think people get it.

The upscaled resolution actually results in a better looking game. They can save resources by using a lower native resolution, then use the hardware HANA2 upscaler to push a higher quality, full 1080p image to your TV screen.

End result, better looking image, less resources wasted on native resolution (instead used for higher quality textures, lighting, etc).

This is a GOOD thing. This is demonstrating Xbox One's impressive upscaling and resource optimization abilities. Now developers can cram more content, visuals, etc into their games thanks to the saved resources due to the superior upscaler, and still end up with a better looking game than if they went with native 1080p.

Game Informer have weighed in:

This kind of information stokes the flames of the console war between Microsoft and Sony fanboys, but the reality is most people won't be able to tell the difference between the two on a standard sized HDTV. The bigger point of differentiation that will motivated buyers this holiday will likely be the $100 difference between the platforms. For Call of Duty, the most important factor is that each version runs at a silky smooth 60 frames per second.

I think most gamers could tell the difference if you put the two versions side by side on a decent sized HDTV.

I really wish the ps4 version was 720p and used the spare processing power for a higher framerate/better textures to see if GI would change their tune. What happens later on in the generation when multiplats (lets say bf5) is 720p on ps4, would it be 600p on xbox one??

SuperSah

Banned
You can notice from several feet away because this is a pretty big difference.

Upscaling just makes lower resolutions look less shit when stretched to higher resolution TV's (e.g. 720p to 1080p), but in the end it's still lower resolution and not as crisp.

I get it, thanks. :)

DryvBy

Game informer is crazy. So what would happen if all in-store kiosks for the PS4 and Xbox One were set up RIGHT NEXT to each other, both displaying COD Ghosts. With a big $399 and $499 right above them.

People wouldn't be able to see a difference? Yeah right.

I've worked customer service and I honestly don't think they would see a difference. A lot of customers are... stupid.

MLCodest

Oh man there are a good amount of people on r/XboxOne who actually think the PS4 isn't more powerful or that the Xbox One is more powerful than the PS4. I feel bad for anyone that still believe this.

I'll be getting both consoles within the first 6ish months of launch, but I'll be getting the Xbox One first because the launch games appeal to me more. With that said I have accepted that the Xbox One won't be as powerful and multiplatform games will most likely look worse on the it for the rest of the generation

No idea. But I can't wait for people who said they had "franchise fatigue" to come out of the wood wood and pretend they care about it just to bitch about resolution disparity.

Hated AC3 out of all of them I'm looking forward to BF i just hope they don't focus too too much on naval combat.

SurgicalSlinky

Neo Member
Also, this is one game. One Cross-gen game by one developer on an engine that could use some work. DICE has BF4 running at 900p on Xbox One, and the game itself looks FAR better than CoD has.

This comparison will get much more interesting as we leave last gen behind, but I don't think we can come out and just straight up rip Penello yet when this could have more to do with the developer than we know.

BF4 is 720p on Xbone

Amir0x

Banned

No, BF4 is 720p on Xbox One, 900p on PS4. Sorry to break that news too (unless something changed in the last few hours, I was at work). And it looks better in many other ways on PS4 as well. So... yeah. Rocky launch indeed :/

Rebel Leader

THE POWER OF BUTTERSCOTCH BOTTOMS

ummmm.. it's 720p on Xbone and 900p on ps4
Or was there an update?

--

EDIT: TRIPLE COMBO!

It's always amusing how some magazines, twitter celebrities, websites and whatnot are telling us there's no difference after 7 years of everyone saying 360 was the place to go for multiplatform games.
Well to be fair, early PS3 ports were sub par and the multiplayer experience left much to be desired.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I've worked customer service and I honestly don't think they would see a difference. A lot of customers are... stupid.
Yep. I honestly think the lasting (and now incorrect) information about the DRM stuff combined with the higher price is more potent for the casual consumer.

tfur

To be ABSOLUTELY FAIR to Albert Penello (even though I definitely think the difference is 30%+ period), this news wouldn't necessarily suggest there was a 30%+ power advantage... because the culprit many are blaming is that the tools are still not as mature as PS4's and the added complexity of the ESRam set up is causing development time to be considerably longer. For tight launch deadlines, that would mean sacrifices. The tools are obviously going to improve, and devs are going to get used to the ESRam set up.

So, even though I am almost 100% sure the difference is 30%+, I would just wait until next Christmas to compare titles and make that final nail in the coffin, so-to-speak. :)

Again: From Albert.

1. What piece of information would you want that I could provide that would convince you there is not a huge delta in performance?
2. If it comes out after we launch that the difference between 3rd party games is maybe single-digit FPS between the two platforms, will I get an apology or concession?

This guy went so far as to ask for an apology.

B.O.O.M

wow

so krisp

such contrast

wow

Great work by Thuway and Mort
Great work on the gaffers who are making those new gifs and pics in this thread..bloody hilarious!
LOL at KevinDent, TimDog, Penelllo and co
oh and also lol at the Gameinformer comment...it's almost like they think consumers are blind and/or shouldn't bother with such important details. Why does some of these journalists get so defensive about one console or the other the moment negative info comes out? For shame

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
BF4 is 720p on Xbone

No, BF4 is 720p on Xbox One, 900p on PS4. Sorry to break that news too (unless something changed in the last few hours, I was at work). And it looks better in many other ways on PS4 as well. So... yeah. Rocky launch indeed :/

ummmm.. it's 720p on Xbone and 900p on ps4
Or was there an update?

--

EDIT: TRIPLE COMBO!

Ah, I got triple-teamed! Yes, my mistake, I had Ryse on the brain.

Still interesting how much better BF4 looks than CoD at the same resolution. Maybe my issue is how little faith I have in that old-ass CoD engine.

So in the eyes of Albert Penello, who was boasting that the game looks superb and what not, 720p is the same as 1080p?

I think he needs an eye transplant.

CoG

No doubt DF'a Face Off ends soon. No way Richard is going to be able to do a straight job without melting down. The whole column existed solely to shit on PS3 games. Now that the tables have turned, what's he gonna do?

spwolf

100%+ difference is crazy really.... hopefully they can fix whatever problems they are having... at the same time, Sony tools will also improve and devs will start using GPU more.

So maybe future games will be more custom tailored to next gen and difference might be even more obvious at that point in time.

Vizzeh

Banned
There isn't any link nor datasheet.

Hardware scaler is such common thing you have it in literary every console and video device even in PS1 or your dvd. Without it your console wouldn't be able to streetch image from its native resolution.

For example if you would have 1600x900 like in BF3 without scaler you would have to play it with black horizontal and vertical bars.

Xbone hardware scaler isn't any magic nor PS4. Because scalers can't make image better they can only stretch image ti fill screen.

They include scalers in consoles because some older TV and monitors don't have scalers of their own or they have shitty old scalers.

I was always of the opinion if the native resolution is either scaled by the console or scaled by the TV, if I select 720p native on Console display, no TV upscaling = No display lag etc, however if I select 1080p display and the game is outputting 720p, the TV upscales it and introduces input lag.

X1 has a dedicated chip so that the tv doesn't do the scaling, the console does, basically Native game 720>Upscaled at console to 1080p pre processed>Received at tv at 1080p = No display lag

Unless There is a PS4 Hardware scaler it will be (however unlikely a 720p title on PS4) 720p Game > TV Upscaled to 1080 = Display lag

Appreciate your insight, trying to get onto the same page here, my understanding differs from yours.

gemoran4

Do insiders track records hold no weight with you then?

Those "couple" of neogaf posts were from insiders or people close to insiders

There leaks are verified by the mods here and require 2 sources or insider in question faces instant ban

This is not your regular gaming forum my friend

I wouldn't say no weight, but not as concrete as a primary source. I've seen plenty of reputable "insiders" who broke a story that ended up not being the case, and not just in gaming.

As much as pixel density and resolution makes a difference, people trying to come up with ways to describe it that make it seem as bad as possible are just fear-mongering or gloating or both.

But I guess that's what this thread is about, isn't it? Carry on.

It's a weaker console period. People need to stop clinging on to the hope that it will ever be competitive with the PS4 as there will always be a significant gap in performance. Myself and others have been trying to drive home this point for a couple years now and the reality of the situation is finally revealing itself in all of its aliased and blurred glory. There's no light at the end of the tunnel.

It's always amusing how some magazines, twitter celebrities, websites and whatnot are telling us there's no difference after 7 years of everyone saying 360 was the place to go for multiplatform games.

To be fair, I think most people would recommend the 360 for it's social and online gaming features, rather than the fact that some games looked or ran better on it.

So can someone explain me why there's a 4k HDMI cable coming with the Xbone? Is that some kind of joke which I don't get?
So that you don't lose visual fidelity on the PS4 passthrough when Sony unlocks 4k bro.

Microsoft will have to edit the fine print to say:

"All in One. Input One. 4k gaming supported*"

"*PS4 accessory required for 4k gaming."

Top Bottom