• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infinity Ward confirms: CoD Ghost is 720p on Xbox One, 1080p on PS4

Also, this is one game. One Cross-gen game by one developer on an engine that could use some work. DICE has BF4 running at 900p on Xbox One, and the game itself looks FAR better than CoD has.

This comparison will get much more interesting as we leave last gen behind, but I don't think we can come out and just straight up rip Penello yet when this could have more to do with the developer than we know.

What? No they don't

720p native on XB1, 900p on PS4

And DICE are honestly far better devs than IW (or more like they actually prioritize every version to its max

I wouldn't say no weight, but not as concrete as a primary source. I've seen plenty of reputable "insiders" who broke a story that ended up not being the case, and not just in gaming.

well obviously a primary source is going to be the best info possible but you must realize that all info from a primary source is almost always going to have to go through PR right?

Rarely will they come out with bad news unless they absolutely must

Good on IW to let us know

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
banderas720puzr75.gif
tumblr_mezldlG3Ov1ql3ugao1_250.gif

Amir0x

Banned
This guy went so far as to ask for an apology.

Yikes, that comment is really specific about the time frame he expects an apology.

So I guess he sort of does owe NeoGAFers an apology for that one. I guess the lesson is: don't wade into the fire unless you can be sure of what you're saying (or what you're allowed to say, anyway).

100%+ difference is crazy really.... hopefully they can fix whatever problems they are having... at the same time, Sony tools will also improve and devs will start using GPU more.

So maybe future games will be more custom tailored to next gen and difference might be even more obvious at that point in time.

I just hope we can settle into at least getting mostly 1080p games on XBO. This shit is seriously insane. We left that generation behind, enough is enough :(

Donos

Wtf?

Thats a joke account right?

Yeah, someone in an older thread pointed that out. He is so over the top that he has to be a troll. Like the Sony Defense Force site was. There are 2-3 other tweets from him that are more of a troll then a true fanboy warrior.

shandy706

holy shit if the WiiU version is 60fps @ 720p

I'm starting to think that people are ignorant enough to think that resolution is all that is different between games.

Things like MSAA, TXAA, or FXAA are just 3 differences in one game that can alter performance.

You could have a Wii U game running 60fps @ 720p but it may be completely missing

Enhanced Geometry
Dynamic Shadows
PCSS (soft shadows)
Depth of Field
Lens Flares
Distortion
Motion Blur
Real Time Reflections
Light Shafts
Ambient Occlusion
Actual Physics....etc.

Resolution only dictates so much.

Duke2k

Neo Member
I could understand BF4 at 720p vs 900p on PS4, the images looked comparable to me, but COD at 720p vs 1080p is the end for me for this generation. Have enjoyed the 360 for years and I don't have much love for Sony, so I am moving back to PC. Have a decent rig and just preloading BF4 now.

How has MS managed to screw this up? Unbelievable.

Wonder how many other folks are in the same boat.

daman824

Either the COD engine is shit, or IW really dropped the ball here.

Partially Microsofts fault as well. Should have just bit the bullet and gone with a better GPU.

Emcee

Neo Member
Oh man there are a good amount of people on r/XboxOne who actually think the PS4 isn't more powerful or that the Xbox One is more powerful than the PS4. I feel bad for anyone that still believe this.

I'll be getting both consoles within the first 6ish months of launch, but I'll be getting the Xbox One first because the launch games appeal to me more. With that said I have accepted that the Xbox One won't be as powerful and multiplatform games will most likely look worse on the it for the rest of the generation

By "good amount" do you mean "zero"? Because no one says that. The only contentious point is how much the extra power will matter.

SuperD77

Banned
Saw an interesting post over on beyond3d (from Rurouni I think).

"While X1 CU is only 2/3 of PS4, the memory bandwidth without ESRAM is only 2/5 of PS4. Coincidentally, 68 vs 176 is almost similar to the pixel count of 720p vs 1080p."

Could IW have just straight up not used any of the extra ESRAM bandwidth? Is that quote accurate and is it even possible to implement the game ignoring the ESRAM?

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Also, this is one game. One Cross-gen game by one developer on an engine that could use some work. DICE has BF4 running at 900p on Xbox One, and the game itself looks FAR better than CoD has.
*places an arm around Deadly Cyclone's shoulders*

My friend, I don't know how to tell you this...but there's something that you should know.

Gaz_RB

Hopefully the other rumors are right and this is just launch hiccups until devs figure out what the fuck is going on inside the XB1

Xbox One is the new PS2... Weaker console, but better games.

Take notice everyone. Once all the resolutions differences are laid bare, (Obviously ignoring everyone who willfully ignores the difference in image quality), this will be the next great argument.

And it's an even better argument. Image quality can be broken down into pixels and shaders, but you'll never win an argument based purely on opinion. The world will continue to burn so that people can defend their purchase.

Just read this on ign. Pure gold.

I don't think people get it.

The upscaled resolution actually results in a better looking game. They can save resources by using a lower native resolution, then use the hardware HANA2 upscaler to push a higher quality, full 1080p image to your TV screen.

End result, better looking image, less resources wasted on native resolution (instead used for higher quality textures, lighting, etc).

This is a GOOD thing. This is demonstrating Xbox One's impressive upscaling and resource optimization abilities. Now developers can cram more content, visuals, etc into their games thanks to the saved resources due to the superior upscaler, and still end up with a better looking game than if they went with native 1080p.

Wow just wow that is terrible

I think that's misterxmedia based

Has anyone checked on him by the way?

People gave mortimer death threats?? That's really pathetic... At the end of the day gaming is a hobby, and doing shit like that over a person on the internet passing along a rumor (which turned out to be true) is completely uncalled for. I'll never understand how nasty and jaded people can be in the gaming community, it's one of the things that's kind of surprised me since i started reading stuff on gaming websites and forums.

That being said, there is a definite Sony bias on Gaf. Not that I have an issue with it, I've really enjoyed the last two sony consoles I've owned (PS3, PS2) and I think outside of the initial issues with the PS3 they've done a fantastic job in terms of business decisions and pleasing their customers. However, the fact is the only real evidence we had about this rumor until Infinity Ward confirmed it was essentially a couple neogaf forum posts. It's fun to speculate but people were a bit too eager to act like this was fact way before we had any official statement or even anything substantial come out (like footage) that would support the validity of the rumor. Which reading the posts from those people felt more like they had an agenda against the Xbox One (probably hoping it would fail as a result of some form of karmic retribution for trying to implement some unfavorable policies) then objectively reacting to the rumor.

The only evidence wasn't just a couple of forum posts. We had at least 4 (FM, thuway, proelite and CBOAT) trusted insiders with proven track records revealing this information. That's about as solid as rumours get.

And I'm tired of the GAF has a PS4 bias shit. It's like when people complain in OT about GAF having a liberal bias when it's just a reflection of reality.

Just read this on ign. Pure gold.

I don't think people get it.

The upscaled resolution actually results in a better looking game. They can save resources by using a lower native resolution, then use the hardware HANA2 upscaler to push a higher quality, full 1080p image to your TV screen.

End result, better looking image, less resources wasted on native resolution (instead used for higher quality textures, lighting, etc).

This is a GOOD thing. This is demonstrating Xbox One's impressive upscaling and resource optimization abilities. Now developers can cram more content, visuals, etc into their games thanks to the saved resources due to the superior upscaler, and still end up with a better looking game than if they went with native 1080p.

so is it now confirmed that this mystical X1 'upscaler' is the true special sauce?

Sounds downright phenomenal based on some posts from IGN, reddit, etc. ;)

adixon

To be ABSOLUTELY FAIR to Albert Penello (even though I definitely think the difference is 30%+ period), this news wouldn't necessarily suggest there was a 30%+ power advantage... because the culprit many are blaming is that the tools are still not as mature as PS4's and the added complexity of the ESRam set up is causing development time to be considerably longer. For tight launch deadlines, that would mean sacrifices. The tools are obviously going to improve, and devs are going to get used to the ESRam set up.

So, even though I am almost 100% sure the difference is 30%+, I would just wait until next Christmas to compare titles and make that final nail in the coffin, so-to-speak. :)

I totally agree, it's easy for people to forget how many launch games have always been technical disasters/uphill struggles, it's just the nature of developing for hardware that's being developed it seems. Would not be surprised if a significant amount of the different comes down to tools at this point. I guess all we can do is wait and see.

I really wish the ps4 version was 720p and used the spare processing power for a higher framerate/better textures to see if GI would change their tune. What happens later on in the generation when multiplats (lets say bf5) is 720p on ps4, would it be 600p on xbox one??
If you want choice go PC. GI would say there is no noticeable difference so buy the Xbox One version.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
Jesus Christ. It took people months to convince X1 fans that the PS4 was more powerful, so how long is it going to take to convince them that 1080p is better than 720p upscaled? Just how far down the denial road are these people prepared to go?

My question, and what I believe the real issue to be, is this: what happens if (when) devs need to drop the resolution to add more and more effects on the PS4 version of games? So when the PS4 version of a game is 720p, what happens to the Xbox One version?

And I'll answer my own question with a prediction: the Xbox One version loses effects and possibly drops to sub-HD. The real question right now shouldn't be "could CoD:DoG run better on the Xbox One." It should be "what does this mean for games that actually max out the PS4 later in the gen."

All IMO, of course.

Interfectum

If this news spreads and helps to kick COD fans off the Xbox Live teet... holy shit what a massive misfire by MS. What were they thinking when they designed this system?

Top Bottom