• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[INSOMNIAC LEAK] PlayStation Studios PC ports sales figures for Steam have leaked

Buggy Loop

You wrote what you wrote, and it came down to Sony games are overrated and they were exposed on PC, confirmed by your experience.

I said there could be other reasons for the games not performing as well on PC as they do on consoles.

Now you are twisting and spinning and doubling down.

Take from this whatever you will.

Where am I spinning?

Yes the "exclusive" and plastic box epeen wars are making some games "bigger" than they are. I don't even spin this, I 100% stand by it. This is the console wars with warriors putting 10's for their favorite box and 0's for the opposite box on metacritic. I mean cmon, God of War the best game of all time by user vote. Seriously. It's not even the best God of War.

Anyway, Let's agree to disagree, I don't care.

Or continue as they are doing, which is the most likely strategy.

Is it worth porting them over for an extra million or two in sales? If sony really want to expand to PC, they need to release on day 1. Nobody gives a shit a year or two after launch because most have already played it on console by that point.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Not quickly mashing a button to watch the character perform an action.
You mean like in Mario where pressing the B button makes the fat plumber jump?
Or like in Baldur's gate where clicking a location on the screen makes the player move to that location?
or like in Zelda where pressing the X button makes Link run?

Kabelly

As a former Playstation 4 owner

Here's why I didn't buy Spiderman on PC yet: too expensive still and they ruined Peter's face
Here's why I didn't buy Uncharted on PC yet: released the fourth game in a series without the first three as well
Here's why I didn't but The Last of Us Part 1: I'm not rewarding devs for crap PC ports. I'll wait until they fix it

I bought Days Gone because I love Days Gone and it looks and runs really well on PC.
I am going to buy Returnal but there was just so many games release and roguelites are not really my fancy.

Patiently waiting for Ghost of Tsushima but it looks like that might not actually come.

lol @ the fanboys trying to use this as justification to keep Sony's games exclusive. They invest a pittance into porting costs and recoup a few hundred million in revenue along with exposing their catalogue to a new audience. But somehow it makes more sense to keep everything restricted to Playstation systems, as if every PC player is going to rush out to buy a console instead. Pure silliness.

Sony can do no wrong for some of these weirdos. DRM dvd drives, trying to stop reselling, killing off entire series that don't make it into the 90's for metacrtic. You would think it does something special and that it's not just a weak ass PC with a locked down OS.

Midn1ght

Sony can do no wrong for some of these weirdos. DRM dvd drives, trying to stop reselling, killing off entire series that don't make it into the 90's for metacrtic. You would think it does something special and that it's not just a weak ass PC with a locked down OS.
It's incredible isn't it? The entire company is leaking like an old house which should raise security concerns, games are being canceled, VR isn't doing so hot, PS owner are being milked dry with remasters, online fees and price increase and let's not talk about creativity which has left Sony's offices for a while now.

But hey, look!
Leonardo Di Caprio Look GIF by Once Upon A Time In Hollywood

"It's PC's fault"

DonkeyPunchJr

World’s Biggest Weeb
The vast, vast majority of PC gamers do not also own a PS5 lol.
This is true but I think a lot of PC gamers with high end PCs powerful enough to play PS5 ports also own a PS5.

There are definitely lots of gamers who own both and would buy on PC day 1 if they had the choice.

ClosBSAS

Lol typical haters gonna hate. Ratchet and clank pc had a 2 million dollar budget. They will recover that shit in no time. Horizon at 3.3 gow at 2.5 already recovered and made bank. Thats what its all about. Making bank, not sales day one. Pc has legs in the long run. They will keep selling years from now

Gamezone

Gold Member
Sony should just release their games day 1 on PC and Playstation. It isn't going to hurt their sales on PlayStation, and both platforms can share the hype simultaneously. The release later on PC thing only works on GTA.

Senua

Gold Member
This is true but I think a lot of PC gamers with high end PCs powerful enough to play PS5 ports also own a PS5.

There are definitely lots of gamers who own both and would buy on PC day 1 if they had the choice.
Well yea that's a different convo

rofif

Banned
In my view, when it comes to games, nothing has changed.
They still release beautiful looking, optimized big AAA single player experience that sell like hotcakes every time.

What negative points are you talking about? Price increase? GAAS push? Canceled games? Shit subscription offering?

How is that PC's fault?
Well thigs did change. They do still release new games but it slowed down drastically on sony side. And closure of Japanese studios is still felt.
And the gaas push obviously is not a good thing but maybe it's going to pass with imo (good news) of bungie being in trouble and ND cancelling factions gaas.
And woke. I don't like what they did in Ragnarok and what Insomniac is doing... but seems that insomniac will do only Marvel games for next 10 years, so they can be as woke as they want... I am not that interested

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
You mean like in Mario where pressing the B button makes the fat plumber jump?
Or like in Baldur's gate where clicking a location on the screen makes the player move to that location?
or like in Zelda where pressing the X button makes Link run?

No. Mashing on a button to win a cinematic scene.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
No. Mashing on a button to win a cinematic scene.
oh you mean those segments that make up less than 5% of the 20-30 hour games that they are typically in? Yeah they're such a big problem bro, totally why sony games are leagues below what Nintendo and Valve makes. How dare they want to tell a story in their video games.

Midn1ght

Well thigs did change. They do still release new games but it slowed down drastically on sony side. And closure of Japanese studios is still felt.
And the gaas push obviously is not a good thing but maybe it's going to pass with imo (good news) of bungie being in trouble and ND cancelling factions gaas.
And woke. I don't like what they did in Ragnarok and what Insomniac is doing... but seems that insomniac will do only Marvel games for next 10 years, so they can be as woke as they want... I am not that interested
All valid points but I fail to see what the PC ports have to do with all this.

The reality is that these game cost an insane amount of money to make so they have to use every possible way they can to make money. I mean, 300+ million for Spiderman 2, how much is TLOU 3 gonna cost, 400m? It's insane. If PC money allows them to fund one or two of these games per generation without hurting their console user base then it's all good and might also allow them to gamble on a new IP or a smaller game like before every now and then. I don't want a reality where Marvel's game, Horizon, TLOU and GOW are the only games coming out of Sony's stable.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Sony would be dumb to stop PC ports. It’s having no effect on sales of PS5 and their games.

Just focus on quality, both in the original release, and the port.

MikeM

Problem is, people like me are not going to double dip. Release day 1 on PC if you want to see the real numbers.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
oh you mean those segments that make up less than 5% of the 20-30 hour games that they are typically in? Yeah they're such a big problem bro, totally why sony games are leagues below what Nintendo and Valve makes. How dare they want to tell a story in their video games.

Other games tell a story as well. Feel free to disagree but there’s a difference.

AndrewRyan

Every Sony game I've bought on PC has been a double-dip, mostly to have a permanent copy with permanent saves.

Didn't buy Ragnarok, Forbidden West or the latest Spiderman on PS5 because I'm waiting for them on PC. Expect to see sales increases for these titles if others shop like me.

Senua

Gold Member
Sony doesn't like anemic sales.
The development cost to port vs what's made with the paltry sales probably isn't that good.
Besides the hundreds of millions was from the already established Destiny 2.
From the leak

Rift Apart PC port was estimated to cost $2.6m
The port took under 5 months to do
Insomniac figured they'd get 800k sales and make $20m profit (haven't found how much it ended up)
Ports that cost <$30m just need an email approval from Sony to get funded

So not so sure about that brother.

AndrewRyan

I think it's pretty obvious that Sony need to either, release games on day 1...or kind of not even bother...their sales are declining at a rapid rate. Their ports have been of poor quality, to the point it's almost pointless now.
It's especially tough cause they're asking full prices for these older titles. You have to really want them on PC to accept that offer.

Senua

Gold Member
It didn't make hundreds of millions.
They surely are looking at the numbers of all these ports as a whole and it's not pretty.
But what's the alternative? Not make an extra few million for basically zero drawbacks? I don't see the incentive for Sony to stop the ports.

Last edited:

rofif

Banned
Sony would be dumb to stop PC ports. It’s having no effect on sales of PS5 and their games.

Just focus on quality, both in the original release, and the port.
You absolutely don't know what effect pc ports have on sales and will have on sales.
Maybe someone was willing to pull the trigger on ps5 but horizon2 was just announced, so he will wait?
Or he saw that games come out later and he decides to wait?
Maybe someone would not buy PS5 just for 1 game they want but if there are 10 more old exclusives there... maybe it's enough to give it a little push.

S0ULZB0URNE

I think it's pretty obvious that Sony need to either, release games on day 1...or kind of not even bother...their sales are declining at a rapid rate. Their ports have been of poor quality, to the point it's almost pointless now.

I think they gave it a good shot and the PC market just isn't interested and sales are on the decline. Just leave those games to console and push the envelope there.
Ask MS how that works for them.

It wouldn't make a worthwhile difference if they were day one.
It's a different market and the sales(well lack of) show they aren't to concerned with PS games.

What it would do is hurt the sales of the devices that butter there bread and they ain't that stupid.

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
If you invest 2 million into a port, literally anything breaks even. like fucking 50k people could've bought rift apart and it would still have made a little profit. That was one of their better ports, too.

These endeavours are incredibly cheap and there's no drawback for Sony. They can port titles literally no one wanted and they'll still make enough to break even and continue. This isn't even getting into the highly demanded games like Demon's Souls or Bloodborne. When those end up on PC there will be riots.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I am surprised at the relatively low number on PC for Spiderman, considering it's a fantastic game, a popular IP, and IIRC more popular on PS4 than all of Sony's other games. Difference in the audience? In any case this strategy doesn't seem to be panning out the way I thought it would, feels like HZD sold so well as a novelty that people are tired of.

Last edited:

S0ULZB0URNE

If you invest 2 million into a port, literally anything breaks even. like fucking 50k people could've bought rift apart and it would still have made a little profit. That was one of their better ports, too.

These endeavours are incredibly cheap and there's no drawback for Sony. They can port titles literally no one wanted and they'll still make enough to break even and continue. This isn't even getting into the highly demanded games like Demon's Souls or Bloodborne. When those end up on PC there will be riots.
I doubt they sell much at all on PC.
Hardcore gamers want them but most don't know or care.

mortal

Gold Member
Days Gone sold more than spiderman and uncharted on PC but they didn't let them make a sequel because the first game didn't appeal to a bunch of woke journalists.

GIF by Christmas FM
I liked Days Gone, and I'd play a Days Gone 2. The motorcycle mechanics were pretty cool, and the Pacific Northwest setting map was interesting to explore.
I think a game that pushes that amount of simulation needs better hardware. The overwhelming hordes could've shined on PS5.

Despite sharing similar settings and premise to TLOU, it felt and played notably differently.

Last edited:
Sony is selling these ports YEAR after release and their debut prices are among the highest on the PC platform. If they released them day and date they would sell a lot more, or heck, six months later and price them appropriate to the audience--$49.99 max.

GHG

Gold Member
In what world is selling 2.5 million copies of what is effectively a port a bad thing?

Because in some strange twist of logic people want to say it's indicative that the games aren't that great, despite the games being highly rated by those who have purchased them on steam (and often in the top percentile of all games on the platform), and despite the fact that Sony have gone on record and stated that the late ports are essentially bonus money.

But they are intertwined, the price makes them not as worth a punt to the average PC gamer who doesn't play these type of games. My opinion on HZD as a game is irrelevant I don't enjoy survival games either but they sell like hotcakes for a reason. The reason for the low sales numbers are a mix of a foreign audience and bad pricing. You have to entice a new audience in, not make them roll their eyes at full price ports.

Btw yes they are on sale later down on the line but most forget about them by that point. People are fickle. I still believe Sony is happy with the profits being made on PC and they will continue to be made.

See above.

Their primary aim is still to get people to purchase their console. The ports are for those who are stubborn and willing to wait. They will continue to port their games to PC at a later date, but using the lower sales numbers as a stick to beat them and/or their fanbase with is strange to say the least.

I liked Days Gone, and I'd play a Days Gone 2. The motorcycle mechanics were pretty cool, and the Pacific Northwest setting map was interesting to explore.
I think a game with pushes that amount of simulation needs better hardware. The overwhelming hordes could've shined on PS5.

Despite sharing similar settings and premise to TLOU, it felt and played notably differently.

I'm of the opinion that it's a far superior game to TLOU, particularly on higher difficulty levels where the various systems come into play. Baiting a horde into an enemy camp never gets old.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Sony should just release their games day 1 on PC and Playstation. It isn't going to hurt their sales on PlayStation, and both platforms can share the hype simultaneously. The release later on PC thing only works on GTA.

Dumbest thing Sony could do would be to focus their 1st party games on PC day one. That would be stupid. So far they are not as stupid as Phil and Microsoft with Xbox.

Problem is, people like me are not going to double dip. Release day 1 on PC if you want to see the real numbers.

NO! That's dumb!

They surely are looking at the numbers of all these ports as a whole and it's not pretty.

So spending $3 million making a port and making $20 million in profit is bad?

Sony is selling these ports YEAR after release and their debut prices are among the highest on the PC platform. If they released them day and date they would sell a lot more, or heck, six months later and price them appropriate to the audience--$49.99 max.

Because selling them day and date on PC would be DUMB and destructive to their console business!!! That would be DUMB!

Top Bottom