• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[INSOMNIAC LEAK] PlayStation Studios PC ports sales figures for Steam have leaked

Zathalus

Sony doesn't like anemic sales.
The development cost to port vs what's made with the paltry sales probably isn't that good.
Besides the hundreds of millions was from the already established Destiny 2.
They don't like anemic sales for AAA single player games because the budget for those are huge and thus requires massive sales to make a good profit.

They now own Nixxess which is a tiny Dutch studio of 55 people that can port two games a year. Running that studio would be under $10 million per year. Income from Steam is around $400 million at this point. From the perspective of Sony it's basically free money.

CatLady

Selfishly plays on Xbox Purr-ies X
Thats doesnt mean anything, TLOU is also not here and prob sold almost a million on pc.

Do you mean TLoU PC Blackface edition with a Metacritic score of 59? I think Returnal probably sold more. It's seems PCMRs aren't all that impressed with Sony games.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Do you mean TLoU PC Blackface edition with a Metacritic score of 59? I think Returnal probably sold more. It's seems PCMRs aren't all that impressed with Sony games.
That's true, too busy playing Adderall Dota and 20 year old Counter Strike. At 500fps.

They only use demanding games as tech demos.

S0ULZB0URNE

They don't like anemic sales for AAA single player games because the budget for those are huge and thus requires massive sales to make a good profit.

Steam is around $400 million at this point. From the perspective of Sony it's basically free money.
Mainly because of Destiny 2.

Senua

Gold Member
That's true, too busy playing Adderall Dota and 20 year old Counter Strike. At 500fps.

They only use demanding games as tech demos.
People just like fun gameplay loops at the end of the day. Dota does fuck all for me but I know people who adore it. The more variety the merrier I say!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
People just like fun gameplay loops at the end of the day. Dota does fuck all for me but I know people who adore it. The more variety the merrier I say!
that is true stephen colbert GIF by Obama

X-Wing

Days Gone sold more than spiderman and uncharted on PC but they didn't let them make a sequel because the first game didn't appeal to a bunch of woke journalists.

GIF by Christmas FM
I mean... In only 6 months Spider-Man had sold almost as much as Days Gone in over a year on PC.

Holammer

Returnal has 3,300 Steam Reviews, The Last of Us almost 26,000.
Ackchyually... 5962 including copies sold on third party sites like Cdkeys etc (Review type All)
45,748 for TLoU.

I just checked the numbers to see how R&C is faring (7.7k). Because R&C's PC version may have brought the development cost to breakeven (or tiny profit) with roughly 250k sales.

Zathalus

Can you show me all of the ports revenue being $400 million.

Methodology: https://gamalytic.com/blog/how-to-accurately-estimate-steam-sales

It keeps track of regional pricing as well as correlates sales numbers with periods where the game was on discount. The numbers are a bit on the conservative side, but the game range is completely accurate. Currently the estimate is just under $400 million but it's something around $330 million to $500 million.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
I can't be the only one deriving a cathartic pleasure from seeing fanboys cry over Sony porting their games and trying to convince themselves that this isn't good for Sony. Rift Apart costing $2.5M to port and GOW having been ported by a 4-man team over two years means these cost almost nothing and are a huge ROI. Spider-Man with only 1.5M copies sold generated $52M in revenues. HZD is probably at $100M and had a 250% ROI after only a few months and you think they'll stop?

Ricky Gervais Lol GIF

You can see how hurt some of them are and they're desperately trying to paint 3.3M copies as a bad number.

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I can't be the only one deriving a cathartic pleasure from seeing fanboys cry over Sony porting their games and trying to convince themselves that this isn't good for Sony. Rift Apart costing $2.5M to port and GOW being ported by a 4-man team over two years means these cost almost nothing and are a huge ROI. Spider-Man with only 1.5M copies sold generated $52M in profits. HZD is probably at $100M and had a 250% ROI after only a few months and you think they'll stop?

Ricky Gervais Lol GIF

You can see how hurt some of them are and they're desperately trying to paint 3.3M copies as a bad number.
not me. I think these numbers are fine. but yes, we have dumbasses on this page who act like these are costing 10s of millions of dollars to port AND need to be selling 10s of millions of copies to be worthwhile.

If it legit only cost $2.6M to port a title, (I would have guessed around $5M) then 200K copies is already pulling an excellent profit if we assume $40 per game.
These ports are basically free money AND....The Last of Us Part 1 being a huge exception...these ports have generally been pretty exceptional.

Last edited:

MikeM

Dumbest thing Sony could do would be to focus their 1st party games on PC day one. That would be stupid. So far they are not as stupid as Phil and Microsoft with Xbox.

NO! That's dumb!

So spending $3 million making a port and making $20 million in profit is bad?

Because selling them day and date on PC would be DUMB and destructive to their console business!!! That would be DUMB!
Do you have any other describing words besides “dumb” in your vocabulary?

SNG32

That's the price you pay for releasing them 2 or 3 years later.
By that time anyone who wanted to play that game already played it on console.

But if you release them Day 1 on PC then there's no incentive to get the console, so if they're not willing to do Day 1 releases might as well not release them at all, doesn't seem to be worth it.
I don’t think they need to release day one.They would defintely get more sales if they did three months or 6 months after console. Honestly these sales figures aren’t bad considering how long they been on console for. Also the pricing is trash there damn near selling these games almost at full price when in fact all these games are greatest hits status.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
No wonder Uncharted isn't selling. When you come to the PC users who don't know the series with part 4. What kind of idiot decides that. Too bad about Little big planet. A cool little game that almost nobody played. And Horizon has sold much better than I would have expected.
As for UC, I remember gamers bringing UC 1-3 are PS3 era games. And Sony didn't want to port games that old on Cell architecture t o PC. Cut to the chase and port PS4 era games since its easier.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I don’t think they need to release day one.They would defintely get more sales if they did three months or 6 months after console. Honestly these sales figures aren’t bad considering how long they been on console for. Also the pricing is trash there damn near selling these games almost at full price when in fact all these games are greatest hits status.

Sony games are always on CDKEYS for cheap even before launch.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
That's the price you pay for releasing them 2 or 3 years later.
By that time anyone who wanted to play that game already played it on console.

But if you release them Day 1 on PC then there's no incentive to get the console, so if they're not willing to do Day 1 releases might as well not release them at all, doesn't seem to be worth it.
It does seem worth it if it's certain games. Horizon and GOW sold well at roughly 3M each. DG did decent too at 1.7M. The rest have sold terribly even though the time frame is less. There's no way any of those other games are coming close to Horizon/GOW numbers even if on the market for another year and someone did the analysis on sales per same time frame.

Spiderman just doesn't seem like a PC gamer focus. And games like Returnal and Sack Boy sales are so small they can basically considered zero when Horizon is at over 3M. Returnal doesnt even show up.

I think GT would do well and Ghosts of Tsushima. But if Sony is going to do 2 year gaps in games, it looks like superhero games dont sell great on PC or any of their small budget games.

Bry0

Considering the cost, the sales for most of these games seem pretty good. Millions of additional sales? How is that bad? Even 500k doesn’t seem particularly bad. The only one here that looks truly terrible is sackboy.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Do you have any other describing words besides “dumb” in your vocabulary?

When these being said are that dumb.......why use a different word? LOL! Sony's priority should NEVER EVER be the PC. They'd lose 30% of every game sell immediately to Steam and Epic.....versus selling the game on the PS Store for starters.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
q46edC8.png

Pretty shit ass sales. Might as well keep them exclusive, JIM
The big boys sold incredibly well.

The problem is the revenue. Days Gone had $22 million in revenue after 850k sales, GOW $28 million after 1 million sales. They have to pay steam 30% and then with cdkeys and cheaper regional discounts, they are making shit money on these things.

Horizon made $60 million after selling 2 million units. Thats literally $30 a pop for a $60 game.

The vast, vast majority of PC gamers do not also own a PS5 lol.

You know this how? Seems highly likely that a good portion of PC gamers would also own a console too. I hear it all the time that people's primary platforms are PC and PS5.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member

The problem is the revenue. Days Gone had $22 million in revenue after 850k sales, GOW $28 million after 1 million sales. They have to pay steam 30% and then with cdkeys and cheaper regional discounts, they are making shit money on these things.

Horizon made $60 million after selling 2 million units. Thats literally $30 a pop for a $60 game.
The $$$ per game do look low even after subtracting Steam or GG cuts, but the difference seems to be PC bargain binning.

Unlike console gamers who buy tons of copies month one at regular price, PC gamers are always a much more patient bunch waiting for deals. All it takes is a 30% off deal and the net sales per copy drops in the toilet.

Midn1ght

When these being said are that dumb.......why use a different word? LOL! Sony's priority should NEVER EVER be the PC. They'd lose 30% of every game sell immediately to Steam and Epic.....versus selling the game on the PS Store for starters.
Epic takes only 12% and Steam reduces its share to 25% after $10 million in sales and to 20% after $50 million.

We can also use your argument against physical edition on console. They lose money manufacturing the physical edition and give a cut to the stores. They also make 0 each time a physical edition is bought second hand. It's a non-issue.

By the time these games hit PC storefronts, they likely exhausted their sale power on console or were given for free on PS Plus.

Fabieter

Ok but Steam is a big platform. Theres no way Ratchet and Clank should be full priced on there when it was out two years prior.

Most pubs do that. Witcher 3 complete Was sold for 60 bucks on switch like five years after release. There are even instances where indies got ported from pc to consoles dont offer extra content and are more expensive than initially.

Midn1ght

It's the nature of PC gaming, multiple storefronts each competing and offering good price.

Even at $30 a pop, at 3.3 million, Horizon made close to $100 million with a port that probably costed bellow $5 million to make and exhausted its sale power on console (wasn't it free at some point on PS Plus?).

I mean if they can generate hundreds of million with games nobody buys anymore on consoles, why not do it?

Last edited:

Senua

Gold Member
You know this how? Seems highly likely that a good portion of PC gamers would also own a console too. I hear it all the time that people's primary platforms are PC and PS5.
Yes you hear it on gaming forums full of enthusiasts. We are a tiny bubble compared to the vast majority of gamers and it's very easy to think all gamers are like us, but they're not. Check the most played games on steam, check the most used hardware configs, they do NOT match what you hear and expect from what you hear talked about on Gaf and the like. Check how popular CoD and sports games are consoles, same thing. A huge chunk of people are playing Dota 2 and LoL on a shitty 10 year old i5 and integrated graphics and don't give a fuck, or can even afford a second system like a PS5.

Gamezone

Gold Member
Dumbest thing Sony could do would be to focus their 1st party games on PC day one. That would be stupid. So far they are not as stupid as Phil and Microsoft with Xbox.

NO! That's dumb!

So spending $3 million making a port and making $20 million in profit is bad?

Because selling them day and date on PC would be DUMB and destructive to their console business!!! That would be DUMB!
I don't get why some Playstation owners get this mad over suggestions that Sony should release their on PC day one. Because you feel less special? It's literally something almost every publisher to.

Senua

Gold Member
I can't be the only one deriving a cathartic pleasure from seeing fanboys cry over Sony porting their games and trying to convince themselves that this isn't good for Sony. Rift Apart costing $2.5M to port and GOW having been ported by a 4-man team over two years means these cost almost nothing and are a huge ROI. Spider-Man with only 1.5M copies sold generated $52M in revenues. HZD is probably at $100M and had a 250% ROI after only a few months and you think they'll stop?

Ricky Gervais Lol GIF

I just can't believe those people are adults. Not many teens post on gaf right? It's full of old farts like me and yet we STILL see classic gamefaqs esque behaviour on the daily. It's quite funny though

SNG32

Most pubs do that. Witcher 3 complete Was sold for 60 bucks on switch like five years after release. There are even instances where indies got ported from pc to consoles dont offer extra content and are more expensive than initially.
That’s not a great argument because look how much people are still willing to pay for Mario Kart 8 and that was on Wii u. Console gamers spend more money on games than PC Gamers. All I’m saying is the pricing is wild that Sony is charging full price for 6 year old games when PC gamers have alternative ways for getting the game cheaper. Only way I can justify full price and them getting more sales on a game at full price is either releasing day an date or within the 3 to 6 months after console release.

Fabieter

That’s not a great argument because look how much people are still willing to pay for Mario Kart 8 and that was on Wii u. Console gamers spend more money on games than PC Gamers. All I’m saying is the pricing is wild that Sony is charging full price for 6 year old games when PC gamers have alternative ways for getting the game cheaper. Only way I can justify full price and them getting more sales on a game at full price is either releasing day an date or within the 3 to 6 months after console release.

Nintendo is a different beast altogether so I don't think that's a great argument either. Just saying it's not unusual for late ports to be expensive as fuck. If you don't like it wait like many pointed out at this point it won't stop sonys port offers but sony charging 60 bucks for what they offer isn't unusual.

mckmas8808

Epic takes only 12% and Steam reduces its share to 25% after $10 million in sales and to 20% after $50 million.

We can also use your argument against physical edition on console. They lose money manufacturing the physical edition and give a cut to the stores. They also make 0 each time a physical edition is bought second hand. It's a non-issue.

By the time these games hit PC storefronts, they likely exhausted their sale power on console or were given for free on PS Plus.

You speak as if making a PC version doesn't cost extra money too. A physical copy gives them less per sale, but it comes at no extra cost in development.

I don't get why some Playstation owners get this mad over suggestions that Sony should release their on PC day one. Because you feel less special? It's literally something almost every publisher to.

Because us PS owners don't want our games to be worse at launch. That's why. It's okay if they launch the game a year or two later on PC. It gives that team or their PC port team time to do the PC version right. But there's ZERO chance the Playstation version of the game will be as good as it could be if they also have to make a PC version day and date.

SNG32

You speak as if making a PC version doesn't cost extra money too. A physical copy gives them less per sale, but it comes at no extra cost in development.

Because us PS owners don't want our games to be worse at launch. That's why. It's okay if they launch the game a year or two later on PC. It gives that team or their PC port team time to do the PC version right. But there's ZERO chance the Playstation version of the game will be as good as it could be if they also have to make a PC version day and date.
Not true Spider-Man 2 released with glitches. If anything it’s usually the PC ports that are worse with console releases.

Gaiff

SBI’s Resident Gaslighter
Because there would be hundreds of millions of PS5 sold and that's clearly not the case.

daninthemix

Yes you hear it on gaming forums full of enthusiasts. We are a tiny bubble compared to the vast majority of gamers and it's very easy to think all gamers are like us, but they're not. Check the most played games on steam, check the most used hardware configs, they do NOT match what you hear and expect from what you hear talked about on Gaf and the like. Check how popular CoD and sports games are consoles, same thing. A huge chunk of people are playing Dota 2 and LoL on a shitty 10 year old i5 and integrated graphics and don't give a fuck, or can even afford a second system like a PS5.
I'm PC only and know plenty of others who are PC only. We've picked up some Sony ports. If they hadn't been ported, we wouldn't have picked them up. The great fallacy is that Sony games have some immense importance outside of the Sony ecosystem. They don't.

mckmas8808

Not true Spider-Man 2 released with glitches. If anything it’s usually the PC ports that are worse with console releases.

Now imagine how many more glitches it would have had, if they were forced to make a PC and PS5 game at the same time.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I know, what the fuck is up with that!? Sony make some of the best games out their but I guess the PCMR love their train Sims and Hentai Tentacle monster games over quality AAA walking sims

MiguelItUp

I think the important part is that it still sells at all. I never thought the numbers would be gigantic in the first place, as I'm sure plenty of PC players also own a PS5. So if they really want something on PS5, they'll get it, and probably won't double dip. But I do wonder how many double dip, if at all.

Phase

the market
Consumers will purchase the best products available. They did in the late 90's and 00's even when budgets were far smaller. This is self-inflicted bloating that happens when companies think they can keep making exponentially more money year after year.

If Sony released a competent port of Bloodborne it would sell more than all of those combined.

Even at $30 a pop, at 3.3 million, Horizon made close to $100 million with a port that probably costed bellow $5 million to make and exhausted its sale power on console (wasn't it free at some point on PS Plus?).
They gave PS4 version away for free during the Covid lockdowns. Many claimed a copy and never played it.

P.S. Only purchased Days Gone on GOG (PC marketplace) recently. Also intend to buy Spider-Man and Last of Us if they make the jump.

Last edited:
Consumers will purchase the best products available. They did in the late 90's and 00's even when budgets were far smaller. This is self-inflicted bloating that happens when companies think they can keep making exponentially more money year after year.
for consumers to be aware of the "best products available" products need to be marketed, and that shit is expensive.

But at the same time these dumbasses consumers keep bitching about game length or recycling animations for example.

AAA games have twice as much content with higher Production Value as before.

but if they make a game with the length of Uncharted Lost Legacy or Miles Morales at a cheaper price/budget. they are seen as a lesser product.

Phase

for consumers to be aware of the "best products available" products need to be marketed, and that shit is expensive.

But at the same time these dumbasses consumers keep bitching about game length or recycling animations for example.

AAA games have twice as much content with higher Production Value as before.

but if they make a game with the length of Uncharted Lost Legacy or Miles Morales at a cheaper price/budget. they are seen as a lesser product.
-You don't have to go overboard with marketing. If a game is good it gets around.
-Where are these consumers bitching about game length (if you mean bitching they're too bloated to pad out gametime then okay)? I never hear people bitch about a game being too short, especially if it's good.
-Whether that content is good or not is subjective. I would argue production value matters very little to most gamers (e.g. the Switch's success).
-Only idiots would judge a product solely by price of the product. With indies commonly hitting it huge now I think this perception is changing.

Filben

Given that perhaps 99% of the sales were to PC only audience (PlayStation players probably have already played them on that platform or, even better for Sony, buy twice) it is not too bad, especially if you consider that the porting cost are a miniscule fraction of actual development cost.

Top Bottom