• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Installing game every Act (MGS4). Is this a good trend of game loading?

I think what some or most of you don't understand is the difference between not minding the installs and enjoying the installs. A lot of people who have played the game don't mind the installs, but would not like to see it as a trend. Reason being, going back and forth through any act will make you wait more than you'd like to play the game.

So I don't mind it but I would not like to see this as a trend. It's the only thing I would consider a negative about the game but since the installs are separated between 5 hour play periods, I can't complain.

Evander

"industry expert"
Farnack said:
No it's not. Swapping disc requires you to swap disc.

Installs requires you to do nothing but do something else.

If I need to take a toilet break, how can I change the disc while I do that?

Is swapping discs difficult to do?

If you need to go potty, you can pause the game. I really hope you don't just shit yourself if nature calls, but you're still a few hours before the next install.

I perfer the 2 min installs per act and very very short loading within acts in MGS4

Compare that to HL2 on the PS3 where loading the next area takes like 30-60seconds every single time.

In HL2, you go round a corner: loading....
Ooops I forgot to get something, turn around walk 2 feet: loading...
Shit I died: loading....

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
If this was any other game and it required an install between acts/chapters, people would think that was unbelievably ridiculous.

Pimpwerx

Liquid said:
what happens when you run out of space? someone with a 20 gig drive would be SOL after buying like 3-4 games.
What did you do when you wanted to start a franchise in Madden on the PS2 and it required 5+MB out of the 8MB you have on your memory card? You either buy a new card, or delete some of the other save files. It's no different in this case. I have 9 disc games and don't play all of them all the time. I have 25 PSN games. If I want to make room, I'll just delete a game data file from one of the 4 games I have 100% completion in, or a PSN game. No biggy. Both can be restored with little problem.

I only have 17GB free of the 55GB that I started with. 2.5GB of that is demos. So just deleting those 3 demos alone would free up enough space to install another game.

The only thing that I'll say is that game data files appear to be getting bigger. The last 4 games to create game data files on my PS3 were HSG5, GT5P, GTA4 and MGS4. 3.6GB, 5.4GB, 3.4GB and 4.6GB respectively. The only other one over 1GB was Folklore. :? I originally planned to get a 20GB system, so an HDD upgrade was always in the cards for me. I could easily see myself finishing this gen with over 200GB of game installs on my final PS3's HDD. I'm not complaining though. PEACE.

Huggy

Wait a minute, once the Act has been installed do I have to install them again on my next playthrough? I mean the whole goddamn point of installing is that I don't have to load as much, doesn't really help if I have to keep reinstalling prior to every load.

Huggy said:
Wait a minute, once the Act has been installed do I have to install them again on my next playthrough? I mean the whole goddamn point of installing is that I don't have to load as much, doesn't really help if I have to keep reinstalling prior to every load.
There's a limit set by Sony of 5GB, that was Konami's way of working around it.

jett

D-Member
MGS4's multiple installs are almost unexplainable to me. The "game" is broken up into areas that are considerably linear and not that big, and the game doesn't look good enough to warrant something like this either. AND you still have a bunch of loading times, and they aren't short at all.

One thing that surprised me are the massive loading times before cut-scenes...in previous MGS games they would play almost immediately.

unomas

Banned
It's an incovenience and sloppy at best, I just bought it 2 days ago but coming from 360 games to this just screams lazy. I'd rather have some loading than taking up all this space on my 40 gig, but it's still an amazing game.

Trojan X

Banned
I played the game. I love the game. Sorry though but they've completedly screwed up when it comes to loading.

If you're going to have a game that have an installation before every Act then that means there should be NO loading times during the actual game sessions. Sadly, MGS4 doesn't deliver there.

If you're going to have a game that have loading times during the game sessions then you should NOT have any installation times before an Act. Unfortunately, MGS4 doesn't deliver there either.

Many people complained about the installation time on DMC and the loading time of many other games but believe this type of issue is ok for MGS4. Sorry, but I do not agree with this. Those people shouldn't think that what isn't good for the goose should be good for the gander.

On another note... This MGS4 is great but why do I "have" to feel "obligated" to play the game? I never felt this way on MGS3 and I didn't feel this way on many other games. Gosh, to me, this game is like a movie "Lord of the Rings". Yes, the movie is great, it won many awards and I have the full collection to which it is currently sitting on my movie shelve but I've only watch it a few times. Why? Because I feel i have to obligate a great deal of my time just to watch it. It's funny though because I don't feel this way when I watch The Matrix Trilogy and I've lost count the amount of time I have seen those Matrix movies. Relating this back to MGS4, I don't have such a feeling when I'm playing GTAIV or Devil May Cry 3, so having such as feeling for MGS4 is bad.

Lastly, the more I play MGS4, the more i feel that Kojima san should have made MGS4 a full blown movie. It's almost like the gaming elements are pulling Kojima san's vision. Heck, most of the cool stuff you see in the cut scenes you can't actually perform them in the game (especially Raiden). At LEAST that's not the case for games like DMC. Honestly, Kojima-san should have released MGS4 in the cinemas and have it saying at the beginning of the film, "Powered by Playstation 3". Hell, even I would go out to see that.

Sorry for the slight de-rail, but I think many of you would agree with my points. Naturally, everyone got their own opinion but I thought it would be interesting to express mine, as always.

Trojan X said:
If you're going to have a game that have a complete installation before every act then that means there should be NO loading times "periods" during the actual game sessions. Saldly, MGS4 doesn't deliver there.

Well, there's your problem right there. And I don't get the logic behind Instalation = No load times... I mean... look at 99% of the PC games.

Trojan X

Banned
Metalmurphy said:
Well, there's your problem right there.

I've adjusted my comments and removed the word "complete".

BTW, why can't you expect not to have any loading times during in-game if you're going to have to wait for an installation before the level starts? Sorry, I don't agree with your comment, especially about looking at 99% of the PC games part too.

NameIess

Did not care for the loading of each Act, but I would consider this a cause of team Kojima's lack of experience with the PS3. I think given enough time they could have found another solution, but if I had the choice of waiting another 6+ months for a more efficient title I would take the current loading situation... That's my 2 cents.

DrXym

I don't accept there is ANY reason for a preinstall in any game I've seen so far. There is enough downtime in MGS 4 including copious cut scenes where if they needed to cache data they could have done so on the fly.

Trojan X

Banned
NameIess said:
Did not care for the loading of each Act, but I would consider this a cause of team Kojima's lack of experience with the PS3. I think given enough time they could have found another solution, but if I had the choice of waiting another 6+ months for a more efficient title I would take the current loading situation... That's my 2 cents.

I understand what you mean. I don't think anyone would want to wait another 6 months just to have this issue ironed out. However, this game have been in development for a very long time so you would have thought that only one of the issues would have existed rather than both.

NameIess

^ Correct, but you have to remember development started on this title prior to knowing the full capabilities and limitations of the PS3. I'm sure once they knew exactly what they had to work with compromises had to be made. If I had to guess the lengthy cutscenes more than likely cause the most problems from a loading perspective. It would have been cool if they worked out a way to load the data in the background, because each Act ended with a long cutscene sequence. They would have had to flash a warning not to turn off your PS3 and this could have effected the immersion of the scenes, but it could have been a more elegant solution.

gcubed

The Faceless Master said:

i'm still missing your point here? I'm reading the link in your post and i guess i am just missing where they say anything that will help prove your point?

edit... besides it has nothing to do with the read speeds, its the seek time which is drastically slower then a DVD

DrXym said:
I don't accept there is ANY reason for a preinstall in any game I've seen so far. There is enough downtime in MGS 4 including copious cut scenes where if they needed to cache data they could have done so on the fly.

besides the fact that 99% of the cutscenes are realtime and require loading and processing to be kept to an acceptable framerate?

Say the choice is either install every act or install a giant 8-9 gig file on my PS3 permenantly, I actually will choose the install every act. If the installs are that big eventually I will have to delete it, then deciding to play again will be a mission cause its not pop in and play. This usually comes after hours of straight play for me, its fine to take a quick break.

Hcoregamer00

The 'H' stands for hentai.
John_B said:
The system is shit, but the hardware is to blame, not the developer.

As much as I hate loading at every act, some of you are completely transparent in your trolling.

If you hate the PS3 so much, at least do a good job in hiding it.

dak1dsk1

Banned
Imagine you went to the movies, and they had to change the reel 5 times. Even if it was a good movie, it would still suck. Console games should be all about instant-fun. This is why I traded my ZX-Spectrum for a console. I'm holding out for the 'MGS4:noinstalliance' or whatever they will rename the *real* version.

Hitmeneer

PuppetMaster said:
Age of Conan requires 30 GB of space on your hard disk.

How is that better?

AoC is indeed massive in size. But also massive in scale. The first 20 levels there is voice acting for every single quest and there are ton of high res textures. Also this is with World in Conflict and Crysis the best looking game up to now.

Besides, after that you don't need a dvd to play. So I don't care.

Dragon

Banned
John_B said:
The system is shit, but the hardware is to blame, not the developer.

Do you even bother to read threads or what?

If Uncharted can do what it did, and Ratchet for that matter, so can MGS4. It's inexcusable what they did, there's no disagreement there, however this isn't the PS3's fault whatsoever. And if you and others continue down this line of thinking that the DVD drive is superior because of its peak read speed without doing research, well you're just completely uninformed. And we wouldn't want that now would we?

Dragon

Banned
dak1dsk1 said:
Imagine you went to the movies, and they had to change the reel 5 times. Even if it was a good movie, it would still suck. Console games should be all about instant-fun. This is why I traded my ZX-Spectrum for a console. I'm holding out for the 'MGS4:noinstalliance' or whatever they will rename the *real* version.

Meanwhile, a lot of other people are playing this awesome game after acknowledging some of the choices of the developer were perplexing. But continue to make your stand while I fuck up some PMCS.

mrpogi23

i dont think its a trend

there's a reason why it is now on technical standpoint to solve whatever issues they have. I mean there's no such game like MGS4, im pretty sure this is better than people bitching about bad frame rates and much longer loading times.

just get over it.

John_B

Hcoregamer00 said:
As much as I hate loading at every act, some of you are completely transparent in your trolling.
I was defending Konami Productions if anything.

Sony gives developers 50GB of disc capacity, but they limit the amount of data (5GB) they can transfer to the hard drive. If they had doubled that amount for dual layer games, then MGS4 might not have been so bad, even so, games that will fit onto dual layer games will have loading issues unless they are streched far more than MGS4 currently is.

Lykathea

Banned
I don't see the comparison. If the game was on 5 discs the install wouldn't be required or something? Why would that be?

Assuming their is no necessary install in a multi-disc game (i.e. Lost Odyssey) than their is no advantage to a Blu-Ray game that requires periodic installations--your not switching discs, but requiring installs takes just as much time (if not more). In short, the 'advantage' of a single disc game is lost because of mandatory installs.

John_B said:
I was defending Konami Productions if anything.

Sony gives developers 50GB of disc capacity, but they limit the amount of data (5GB) they can transfer to the hard drive. If they had doubled that amount for dual layer games, then MGS4 might not have been so bad, even so, games that will fit onto dual layer games will have loading issues unless they are streched far more than MGS4 currently is.
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=11658848&postcount=53

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
tha_con said:
Dude, Tycho is a fucking retarded, he didnt' sum up shit. The Installs come to the benefit of the game, coupled with the amount of data that can be stored on Blu-Ray. I think it's quite obvious Tycho has his 'preference' with consoles, and he hasn't been afraid to voice that opinion in the past.

I disagree with you 100%. The benefit of Blu-ray comes with a negative with the install. In-game install seems counterproductive. Why not get some streaming routine off the disc? I would just hate this to be a crutch developers start using and after every level, we sit through a loading process. Not calling out MGS4 at all. Maybe playing a game with no loading times is just a pipe dream at this point. Hell, GTA4 had it before missions as well.

dak1dsk1 said:
This is some silly shit.

roxya

dskillzhtown said:
I disagree with you 100%. The benefit of Blu-ray comes with a negative with the install. In-game install seems counterproductive. Why not get some streaming routine off the disc? I would just hate this to be a crutch developers start using and after every level, we sit through a loading process. Not calling out MGS4 at all. Maybe playing a game with no loading times is just a pipe dream at this point. Hell, GTA4 had it before missions as well.

How the hell is blu-ray causing the install problem? How would multiple discs solve the install problem?

tha_con

Banned
It's really depressing to see all the misinformation and ignorance displayed by many gamers who would claim to be 'hardcore'.

Anyone who thinks an install will 'completely eliminate load times' is ridiculous.

Anyone who thinks Uncharted is an example of 'completely eliminating load times' that would work for all games, is ridiculous.

Quite frankly, I think either too many of you are too young to remember load times with the Saturn and PSX (between 30 seconds to 1 minute) or you are delusional.

5 seconds between area's, as large as they are, is very much an improvement thanks to the install. Many of you need a nice reality check.

Router said:
And my Plasma TV.

Joke?

dskillzhtown

roxya said:
How the hell is blu-ray causing the install problem? How would multiple discs solve the install problem?

Did I say use mutiple discs? Please point out where I said that. You can't, because I didn't. Don't put words in my post, make your own posts.

With all the data on the Blu-ray disc, it is requiring loads before levels for the console to access it all. That is my point. Maybe having more system memory in future consoles will fix this. But then again, 2 years from now on the PS3, this may be a distant memory. I just hate the fact that if many games do this in the future, you could see the bulk of the HDDs being used for game installs, not user-loaded media.

dskillzhtown

tha_con said:
It's really depressing to see all the misinformation and ignorance displayed by many gamers who would claim to be 'hardcore'.

Anyone who thinks an install will 'completely eliminate load times' is ridiculous.

Anyone who thinks Uncharted is an example of 'completely eliminating load times' that would work for all games, is ridiculous.

Quite frankly, I think either too many of you are too young to remember load times with the Saturn and PSX (between 30 seconds to 1 minute) or you are delusional.

5 seconds between area's, as large as they are, is very much an improvement thanks to the install. Many of you need a nice reality check.

Joke?

Actually, I would like games without an install or load times at all. I really don't care about the technical issues behind it, just think that one day we will get this.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
tha_con said:
I'm 100% positive MGS4 would have load times similar to Halo 3 or GTA IV at the start of each act if it were on 360 or did not have an install. Guaranteed.

Yeah because other games like Devil May Cry 4 and Grand Theft Auto IV, which required installs on the PS3 but did not one the 360, have had much longer load times on the 360 version, right? You have no idea what Kojipro is able to do with either system, and past evidence (although from different developers) has shown that installs have done very little to offset load times in comparison to the 360 version, so your guarantee means absolutely nothing.

Metal Gear Solid 4 is probably my favorite game of all time, but the multiple installs are just lame. If they are already forcing us to install 5gb~ of data to even play the game, why not just give us the option to install a few more gb and get rid of the mid-game installs. Does Sony put an arbitrary limit on the maximum size an install can be or something?

roxya

dskillzhtown said:
Did I say use mutiple discs? Please point out where I said that. You can't, because I didn't. Don't put words in my post, make your own posts.

With all the data on the Blu-ray disc, it is requiring loads before levels for the console to access it all. That is my point. Maybe having more system memory in future consoles will fix this. But then again, 2 years from now on the PS3, this may be a distant memory. I just hate the fact that if many games do this in the future, you could see the bulk of the HDDs being used for game installs, not user-loaded media.

Yeah sorry, I didn't read your post closely enough. It does seem data reading times are the one thing that haven't improved enough from last gen to this gen.

Speevy

Banned
So in conclusion, mgs4 is the game of the year despite having to look at an install screen, and the very idea of 7 dvds is still funny.

This was the one thing that bothered me sooooooooooooooooo much in MGS4. I spoilered it in the official thread right after playing it, but it's good we don't have to now.

Which means, that those installs basically replaced disc swapping.

The irony is, swapping the discs on 360 would have been quicker than those installations.

The part that REALLY pissed me off was the fact that the game still had tens of loads times and they weren't quick. So what the fuck?

Guled

who cares about multiple disks? Its not coming on 360, and having more then 1 disk would not eliminate the install times.

Top Bottom