• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Instant Pot (Pressure Cooker) is amazing aka suggest me more recipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashhong

Thanks for the recipe!

I’ve cooked chicken, pork and beef in this thing, and while it does fall off apart with just my fork, I find the meat dry and chewy. It’s not moist like a perfectly cooked steak that’s rested. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for the recipe!

I’ve cooked chicken, pork and beef in this thing, and while it does fall off apart with just my fork, I find the meat dry and chewy. It’s not moist like a perfectly cooked steak that’s rested. Am I doing something wrong?

Are you quick releasing everything?

Supha_Volt

Neo Member
I've been eating chili for the last 3 weeks..is there another easy and great recipe you guys can share?
These are the ones I've done that are pretty easy and different than chili.
Code:

https://youtu.be/g1BWkn571Lk

https://youtu.be/GlSsSzE7T1Q

Edit now that I look at them a bit closer it looks like it uses an instant pot that has low pressure so if you have one you can do the recipes. I know mine doesn't but I have used one that did.

Ashhong

Are you quick releasing everything?

Nope never. Just yesterday I did pork tenderloin pieces, by searing them, then manual cook for 22 minutes then natural release for like 20 minutes. Fell apart as I tried to even take it out of the pot but about 1 minute later as I'm eating it it feels dry in my mouth.

Nope never. Just yesterday I did pork tenderloin pieces, by searing them, then manual cook for 22 minutes then natural release for like 20 minutes. Fell apart as I tried to even take it out of the pot but about 1 minute later as I'm eating it it feels dry in my mouth.

Sounds like you're putting in lean cuts, like pork tenderloin and maybe chicken breast? Those will likely come out dry as there's not enough fat. I think that might be the problem you're having. You're better off throwing those in the skillet.

ReAxion

For sure.

I figured, just wanted to check. You guys are probably on to something with the seal then.

Sounds like you're putting in lean cuts, like pork tenderloin and maybe chicken breast? Those will likely come out dry as there's not enough fat. I think that might be the problem you're having. You're better off throwing those in the skillet.

Yep, that's definitely it in this case. That's way too long for such a lean cut. Cut into pieces would be even less than normal. Reference this for approximate times.

Ashhong

Oh..the pork might have been kind of lean. Hard to know because it came marinated. For chicken it’s frozen chicken thigh, which shouldn’t be too lean should they? Would cooking for less time help at all with leaner cuts?

^ thanks I’ll check that out. Was scared of undercooking pork and chicken so I went with what people posted

So that link says 12 minutes for pork loin, but doesn’t the quantity matter or is it only size that matters? And holy shit I way over cooked it lol

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I've been eating chili for the last 3 weeks..is there another easy and great recipe you guys can share?
I think chili is similar to tomato-based sauces or soups you can make in the instant pot, like pasta sauce. Less water and it becomes pasta sauce. More water and it becomes vegetable soup.

Here's what I do to make lasagna, with the instant pot making the pasta sauce for me. It's pretty easy, but time consuming. The pot and the oven do most of the work for you, though.

Ingredients:
- one big onion, or two small ones
- 3-4 fresh tomatoes. You can replace this with canned tomatoes to make a more solid and less watery lasagna.
- 1 lb ground beef
- (optional) any small miscellaneous vegetables you want to add, like peas or sliced carrots
- seasoning. I use salt, pepper, a few splashes of Worcestershire sauce and Italian seasoning.
- oven-ready lasagna
- two eggs
- ~300g ricotta cheese
- shredded cheese for the top. I use a storebought mozarella/cheddar mix.

1. Dice the onions and tomatoes.

2. Throw the onions, tomatoes, ground beef, any other vegetables, and the seasoning into the instant pot. Mix it all together really well and then set it to cook on manual for 30 minutes.

You DON'T need to add extra water to the pot before starting in this case, because fresh tomatoes release plenty of water on their own.

3. In a bowl, mix the eggs with the ricotta cheese. Put this in the fridge until the the pot is done. This will be the middle layer in your lasagna.

4. When the instant pot is done cooking, preheat the oven to 350F. Open the pot (I use quick release, but you can let it natural release too) and mix what's inside.

5. Taste test the sauce, and mix in more salt or seasoning if necessary. Keep in mind that you can go a little less salty than what you want, because the cheese will add more salty flavor.

6. Get a deep pan or some container to assemble your lasagna (the ingredients I listed makes a pretty big pan - like 6+ servings). Assemble it like this:
- A splash of sauce to line the bottom of the pan. Spread it around so that the entire bottom of the pan is not dry.
- On top of that, put a layer of lasagna.
- Spread a layer of sauce over the lasagna.
- Another layer of lasagna.
- The layer of ricotta cheese.
- A layer of lasagna.
- Another layer of sauce.
- Sprinkle shredded cheese at the top.

The idea is to make sure that all your lasagna noodles are sandwiched between wet ingredients. Either cheese or pasta sauce.

7. Cover the pan with a layer of aluminum foil, and put it in the oven for 25 minutes.

8. Take off the aluminum foil, then leave it in the oven for another 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese is browned to your liking.

9. Take the pan out and let it sit for about 10 minutes.

Schattenjäger;249445593 said:
Are these things safe ? I've heard anecdotal stories of pressure cookers exploding

the electric ones are totally safe. it's not safe when people try to rip the lid off while there's still pressure built thinking the lid is stuck.

ReAxion

Oh..the pork might have been kind of lean. Hard to know because it came marinated. For chicken it's frozen chicken thigh, which shouldn't be too lean should they? Would cooking for less time help at all with leaner cuts?

^ thanks I'll check that out. Was scared of undercooking pork and chicken so I went with what people posted

So that link says 12 minutes for pork loin, but doesn't the quantity matter or is it only size that matters? And holy shit I way over cooked it lol

i think the quantity is assuming you're making a 2/3 full pot.
pork is extremely unforgiving when it goes over done temp. a loin only needs to hit 145F. whereas a chicken breast is done at 165F. a chicken thigh can hit 175F and still be okay. and the bone & skin on a thigh matters. adds some forgiveness.

Walt and ReAxion answered your possible likely here.

Yep, that's definitely it in this case. That's way too long for such a lean cut. Cut into pieces would be even less than normal. Reference this for approximate times.

Yup. I cook 1 1/2 inch pork loin chops for 1 minute, with 10 minute natural release..comes out juicy as fuck. Definitely overdoing it.

Ashhong

Walt and ReAxion answered your possible likely here.

Yup. I cook 1 1/2 inch pork loin chops for 1 minute, with 10 minute natural release..comes out juicy as fuck. Definitely overdoing it.

1 minute?! Jesus Christ.....now I'm sad lol. Even the link that ReAxion posted says 18 minutes for 1inch porkchop

Oh..the pork might have been kind of lean. Hard to know because it came marinated. For chicken it's frozen chicken thigh, which shouldn't be too lean should they? Would cooking for less time help at all with leaner cuts?

^ thanks I'll check that out. Was scared of undercooking pork and chicken so I went with what people posted

So that link says 12 minutes for pork loin, but doesn't the quantity matter or is it only size that matters? And holy shit I way over cooked it lol

I think the more important factor is thickness. I did the pulled pork recipe from before with pork loin again the other day and it was better the second time around, I took a five minutes off the cook time, it might've also helped a little that I went over it with a Jaccard meat tenderizer. It was more moist and easier to pull apart as well compared to the first time.

EDIT: D'oh! I took way too long to post.

EDIT2: Oh, I forgot, not using the trivet also probably contributed to it not being as dry and last time too, maybe the primary contributor.

highrider

Banned
I wanted to recommend Knorr Stock Pots to you guys doing these slow cook recipes. Stock and condensed stock add so much flavor to meat sauces. I'm a chef and it's a game changer.

ReAxion

I wanted to recommend Knorr Stock Pots to you guys doing these slow cook recipes. Stock and condensed stock add so much flavor to meat sauces. I'm a chef and it's a game changer.

I've never seen these. Are they shelf-stable? I'd always opt to use a more fortified stock than the cans/cartons if I could.

sakyot

I need some basic questions answered.

How much power exactly does this draw?

I cook with my oven from GAS and the price is cheap.
I don't have an electric oven because the price I would pay for eletricity would rise up alot.
So, powering up the instant pot for 1h it's like using a microwave or what?

Cause if yes, I'm guessing my eletric bill will go up by alot?

Is there any beginner tips etc? I don't wanna risk buying this and then not using it. :S

I don't have an electric oven because the price I would pay for eletricity would rise up alot.

Is there any beginner tips etc? I don't wanna risk buying this and then not using it. :S

From https://www.reddit.com/r/instantpot/comments/57xai0/instantpot_power_consumption_electricity_bills/:

The DUO60 for example, is 1000 watts and the IP uses a thermostat, so the most you'd ever pay would be during the "boiling" mode (when bringing up to pressure) since the full heat would be on continuously during that time. Theoretically, if you could stay in the boiling stage for as long as 1 hr (even with a lot of water inside, it wouldn't stay on the boiling stage that long though), that would use 1 kilowatt hour (kWh), and where I live, each kWh costs 12 cents (many utility companies would charge less).

After microwave ovens, electric pressure cookers are the most efficient kitchen appliance to cook things using electricity. I really doubt you'll notice much of a difference on your electricity bill.
If I remember next time I use mine I can run it through my Kill A Watt Meter which tells exactly how much electricity was used.

Peep this. I omit the apples, honey, and cinnamon, but follow the recipe beyond that..comes out great. Lots of dope recipes on there.

---

Speed it up, PHOENIXZERO..😁

Well it looks like I might have time. 😏

I also did some boneless ribs a couple days ago, they turned out okay but again probably should've adjusted the time on them because they were too dry and maybe not have used the trivet.

Ashhong

I think the more important factor is thickness. I did the pulled pork recipe from before with pork loin again the other day and it was better the second time around, I took a five minutes off the cook time, it might've also helped a little that I went over it with a Jaccard meat tenderizer. It was more moist and easier to pull apart as well compared to the first time.

EDIT: D'oh! I took way too long to post.

Damn, I almost don't want to eat my pork loins now and recook it haha. I will have to try cutting down my times dramatically and using a thermometer to double check.

Peep this. I omit the apples, honey, and cinnamon, but follow the recipe beyond that..comes out great. Lots of dope recipes on there.

---

Speed it up, PHOENIXZERO..😁

Looks like it's only that short because they had to sear it for a good 5-6 minutes total. I guess I really really need to cut down my cook times.

And now you're banned, shame on you

ReAxion

Thanks for the link, bought a two-pack.

It's unreal how stinky these things get.

yuuup. sometimes i can do like 4 dishes on the same sealing ring with no problem but others just once. depends on the dish i guess.

soak em in a bowl of hot soapy water with a splash of white vinegar. i know long pre-prep is antithetical to the IP but whatevs. ultimately way worth it.

Supha_Volt

Neo Member
I finally get to share something! Did some prep for the week and decided to do green chili chicken and it turned out wonderful!
bUdYVWG.jpg

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
Impulse purchased one yesterday.
Made some parmesan garlic chicken and potatoes. So good, so fast.

Yup, also impulse bought the Instant Pot.

GF and I just made a beef lentil chili thing and holy shit was it fun, easy, and quick.

Is there a good database for good, workout-related, macro-focused recipes?

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
I'm looking for recipes that aren't for 6 people, which most of them seem to be. I need some good recipes for two.

Domino Theory

Crystal Dynamics
IP arrived last night and my first meal was also the easiest - a pound of chicken breast with three potatoes mixed with salt, pepper, tumeric, and some BBQ sauce.

It's *unreal* how easy it is to cook delicious and soft potatoes with this. Fucking game changer right there alone. Chicken also came out tender, fully cooked, and nommy.

Quixzlizx

What's the best way to clean the pot? I've soaked it in a vinegar/water mixture overnight, and that still wasn't enough to get the dried grease off after pulled pork is made in there. I basically have to scrape it all off with a fingernail.

I'm willing to scratch the pot as long as I'm not damaging it.

Ferrio

Banned
What's the best way to clean the pot? I've soaked it in a vinegar/water mixture overnight, and that still wasn't enough to get the dried grease off after pulled pork is made in there. I basically have to scrape it all off with a fingernail.

Classic metal scouring pads and some good dish soap.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!

Baking soda and soap with a scotch brite pad

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
So I impulse purchased one of these during that Amazon/BB sale. I haven't used it yet, but figured I'd try ribs first. I was at the grocery today and bought a slab of frozen ribs that were on sale, but none of the rest of the ingredients. I noticed a lot of the recipes I saw online seem to call for practically making your own BBQ sauce during the process. Does anyone know of any pathetically simple recipes to use that use a minimum of extra seasoning outside a bottle of prefabricated sauce and the typical seasonings a non-cook would have in their cupboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom