• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Instant Pot (Pressure Cooker) is amazing aka suggest me more recipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ashhong

So I impulse purchased one of these during that Amazon/BB sale. I haven't used it yet, but figured I'd try ribs first. I was at the grocery today and bought a slab of frozen ribs that were on sale, but none of the rest of the ingredients. I noticed a lot of the recipes I saw online seem to call for practically making your own BBQ sauce during the process. Does anyone know of any pathetically simple recipes to use that use a minimum of extra seasoning outside a bottle of prefabricated sauce and the typical seasonings a non-cook would have in their cupboard?

All the recipes I've seen for ribs basically have you cook it in the pot then take it out, smother with any BBQ sauce, then finish in the oven. You don't need to make your own

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Just got reminded again that it's super easy to accidentally make way too damn much in this pot. 6 quarts is plenty.

I threw something like this into the pot for some easy chili:
- 3 diced tomatoes
- 2 diced small potatoes
- 1 diced onion
- 1 diced carrot
- about half a pound of ground beef
- 1 cup of frozen peas
- 1 cup of kidney beans

...aaaaaand I've been eating chili for lunch and dinner all week.

So I impulse purchased one of these during that Amazon/BB sale. I haven't used it yet, but figured I'd try ribs first. I was at the grocery today and bought a slab of frozen ribs that were on sale, but none of the rest of the ingredients. I noticed a lot of the recipes I saw online seem to call for practically making your own BBQ sauce during the process. Does anyone know of any pathetically simple recipes to use that use a minimum of extra seasoning outside a bottle of prefabricated sauce and the typical seasonings a non-cook would have in their cupboard?
Haven't tried this before, but it sounds good.

https://recipes.instantpot.com/recipe/easy-bbq-instant-pot-ribs/

Quick notes since it's your first time using it:

- Make sure you have the release valve closed (the knob looking thing on the lid) when you start the pressure cooker. It should have an indicator showing whether it's open or closed. If it's turned clockwise, that should be closed. And don't worry if it looks loose when the pot is not pressurized; that's normal. If you turn the pot on when that valve is open, the pot won't be able to build pressure.
- "Natural release" in the recipe means leave the pot alone until it depressurizes itself after cooking. This can take 15-20 minutes. There's a metal plunger on the lid that will drop down when the pot is not pressurized. That's the sign that says you can open the lid on the pot. I don't think the pot will physically let you open it while it's pressurized.

Just bought an Instant Pot during the Amazon sale like a week or two ago. Made my first thing!

BBQ Baby Back Ribs

They came out great. Need a little more salt or may use a proper rub next time.

I ended up soaking them in Apple Cider for about 5 hours. I pulled them out. Seasoned them w/ salt and pepper and used the same cider from the soak in the Instant Pot. I cut up a quarter of a large white onion and threw it in there as well.

Cooked it for about 25 minutes and did a 15 minute natural release and quick released the rest. I pulled them out and they were falling off the bone. I basted them in some Apple BBQ sauce and broiled them for about 7 minutes. Came out great!

22310720_10155472849540399_6891959800588740761_n.jpg

22491510_10155472849550399_5775920208206666440_n.jpg

Diablos

Easy first recipe for your Instant Pot or any other brand:

1. 5-6 frozen chicken tenderloins
2. A box of pasta (elbows, penne, etc)
3. Jar of marinara sauce

Fill up the empty marinara jar with water and dump it in. Then fill up by one quarter with water and dump that in. Stir ever so slightly, make sure the chicken is under the sauce/water as best as possible.

Cook for 10 minutes. That’s it. Yes, there are better pasta recipes out there. This one only has 3 ingredients and can be made in 10 minutes though.

Easiest recipe in my entire life.

I suggest using whole grain or veggie (tomato/carrot) penne. The pressure cooker really brings out the flavor in the veggie penne, it’s quite impressive.

Just used the above recipe and I am impressed. I dug into my bowl and halfway through I thought I'd take a pic for you guys. Luckily I had some parmesan and parsley to top off the dish. I can probably make a killer mac n cheese in this thing.

Just bought an Instant Pot during the Amazon sale like a week or two ago. Made my first thing!

BBQ Baby Back Ribs

They came out great. Need a little more salt or may use a proper rub next time.

I ended up soaking them in Apple Cider for about 5 hours. I pulled them out. Seasoned them w/ salt and pepper and used the same cider from the soak in the Instant Pot. I cut up a quarter of a large white onion and threw it in there as well.

Cooked it for about 25 minutes and did a 15 minute natural release and quick released the rest. I pulled them out and they were falling off the bone. I basted them in some Apple BBQ sauce and broiled them for about 7 minutes. Came out great!

Those look great! Will check this recipe out this week.

Ashhong

Easy first recipe for your Instant Pot or any other brand:

1. 5-6 frozen chicken tenderloins
2. A box of pasta (elbows, penne, etc)
3. Jar of marinara sauce

Fill up the empty marinara jar with water and dump it in. Then fill up by one quarter with water and dump that in. Stir ever so slightly, make sure the chicken is under the sauce/water as best as possible.

Cook for 10 minutes. That’s it. Yes, there are better pasta recipes out there. This one only has 3 ingredients and can be made in 10 minutes though.

Easiest recipe in my entire life.

I suggest using whole grain or veggie (tomato/carrot) penne. The pressure cooker really brings out the flavor in the veggie penne, it’s quite impressive.

Is the extra water necessary? I don’t want my pasta to be too watery later

thespot84

I just did a variant of this. It turned out great for the effort put in.

I used one jar of water, not 1.25. I browned broccoli and chicken sausage on sear for a few minutes, then added pasta, sauce, and water and cooked for 11 minutes on high pressure. It was a good consistantly, not too runny. I think it wouldnt work without some extra water.

Diablos

Just used the above recipe and I am impressed. I dug into my bowl and halfway through I thought I'd take a pic for you guys. Luckily I had some parmesan and parsley to top off the dish. I can probably make a killer mac n cheese in this thing.
Glad you enjoyed, and yes you can easily top off the dish.

You can probably use a little less as thespot84 did but I don’t think eliminating the water completely would be a good idea. If you want to experiment let us know your result though!! I’d still use at least half a jar to be safe. Or perhaps extra sauce if you have some.

I just did a variant of this. It turned out great for the effort put in.

I used one jar of water, not 1.25. I browned broccoli and chicken sausage on sear for a few minutes, then added pasta, sauce, and water and cooked for 11 minutes on high pressure. It was a good consistantly, not too runny. I think it wouldnt work without some extra water.
Nice. I may have to try it this way.

Spuck-uk

Banned
Don't use jarred pasta sauce, it's more expensive, full of sugar, and tastes like shit. Tinned whole tomatoes, crushed with a fork, garlic and an onion, cooked for fifteen minutes in the pot. Add some fresh basil if you're feeling sassy.

Not exactly hard

Supha_Volt

Neo Member
Working on some ham hocks and beans! Should be done in about an hour and a half. I'll take a better pic when it is done.

sibPVJS.jpg

So it has finally finished and I picked out most of the bones. Tastes so damn good and is so simple! Trying to improve it so I'll post the recipe once I'm satisfied with it.

pzsPiLG.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom