• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Instant Pot (Pressure Cooker) is amazing aka suggest me more recipes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any real advantage to using one of these over standard stew pots when it comes to making stews? I often get these recommended to me for them but usually on the premise of ease. From what I can tell though you'd be foregoing searing the meat in the same pan the broth is made in, essentially missing the fond?

I have considered buying them in the past but I always end up just whipping out the pot instead. I always worry I won't be gaining anything other than peace of mind to not need to check the pot.

Machine

Is there any real advantage to using one of these over standard stew pots when it comes to making stews? I often get these recommended to me for them but usually on the premise of ease. From what I can tell though you'd be foregoing searing the meat in the same pan the broth is made in, essentially missing the fond?

I have considered buying them in the past but I always end up just whipping out the pot instead. I always worry I won't be gaining anything other than peace of mind to not need to check the pot.

Instant Pot has a saute mode. You sear meat in saute mode, then add the remaining ingredients and pressure cook in the same pot. You definitely aren't missing the fond.

Instant Pot has a saute mode. You sear meat in saute mode, then add the remaining ingredients and pressure cook in the same pot. You definitely aren't missing the fond.

Awesome! Everyone I've spoken to has never mentioned the saute mode, likely because they're more about getting it done than doing it well. Seems this and a proper griddle will be my next two cooking purchases.

oti

Banned
Awesome! Everyone I've spoken to has never mentioned the saute mode, likely because they're more about getting it done than doing it well. Seems this and a proper griddle will be my next two cooking purchases.

Really? I use the Saute mode pretty much every time.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
The downside to the saute mode is that you can't drain meats as easily. Otherwise it's great.

Sometimes I sear meat in a pan, drain it, then dump it into the pot.

I also sometimes use saute mode after cooking to boil off some moisture if I want whatever I'm making to be thicker. I usually do this when making curry.

Ixian

The downside to the saute mode is that you can't drain meats as easily. Otherwise it's great.

Sometimes I sear meat in a pan, drain it, then dump it into the pot.

I also sometimes use saute mode after cooking to boil off some moisture if I want whatever I'm making to be thicker. I usually do this when making curry.
Ha, I was just going to write a post saying this. I toss in some xanthan gum as a thickener and stir on low heat.

9PxJwa7.jpg

Tonight's Salisbury Steak Meatballs from the Instant Pot, along with mashed potatoes and peas. Just tremendous.

Legit tasted like a high-quality Hungry Man meal.

ReAxion

Tonight in the Instant Pot: Ginger Garlic Drumsticks. Turned out great, and the sauce is absolutely to die for. Recipe at http://livingsweetmoments.com/instant-pot-ginger-garlic-drumsticks/

Hip Pressure Cooking:

Garlic has a tendency to disappear and loose its flavor in the pressure cooker.
SOLUTION: Replace most chopped garlic with whole crushed cloves in recipes where it is added before pressure cooking. For a stronger garlic flavor, finely chop garlic and mix-in right after pressure cooking as the heat of the food will flash-cook the garlic while preserving its strong flavor. The pungency of garlic powder, or dehydrated garlic, is not affected by pressure cooking and can be used as indicated in the original recipe.

little tip for next time and anyone else reading.

Hip Pressure Cooking:

little tip for next time and anyone else reading.

Hmm, I can't say I've noticed that. I may have to play around with garlic powder to see if I can detect a change.

On a related note, anyone else a member of the Instant Pot Community group on Facebook? That place is a trip.

Ferrio

Banned
Thanks for sharing this.
WITHOUT A LINK TO THE RECIPE.

http://ladyandpups.com/2015/03/25/jerked-sriracha-roast-pork-tacos-w-kiwi-salsa-verde/

The original recipe doesn't call for a pressure cooker.

Pretty much followed the recipe exactly, except I added a cup of beer to the pressure cooker. Then when it was done I took the juices and boiled it down until it was really thick. Then I tossed the shredded pork in it, placed it on a baking pan and broiled it until it crisped up a bit.

Hmm, I can't say I've noticed that. I may have to play around with garlic powder to see if I can detect a change.

On a related note, anyone else a member of the Instant Pot Community group on Facebook? That place is a trip.

Just joined Saturday, yeah it's great haha.

These things can be a bit intimidating at first lol

ReAxion

I've basically just used that advice as an excuse to speed up prep time by not mincing. I can't say I'm getting around confirmation bias to say it seems like a noticeable difference, haven't done any side by side testing.

Seems like that recipe would be a good contender for adding minced afterwards, tho.

Mendrox

Okay the same Instant Pot from the OP would cost me 99€ here in Germany.

I am someone who almost always eats in the evening and cooking takes a lot of time if I want to eat something healthy. Is this my solution? Can I just e.g. put some beans, rice and meat in it in the morning, start the process and have a healthy and good meal in the evening? This thing sounds like the magic maker I wanted all my life.

It saves time and I always get something healthy and tasty to eat and many different things because it seems like you can almost cook anything in it...

Vhalyar

Okay the same Instant Pot from the OP would cost me 99€ here in Germany.

I am someone who almost always eats in the evening and cooking takes a lot of time if I want to eat something healthy. Is this my solution? Can I just e.g. put some beans, rice and meat in it in the morning, start the process and have a healthy and good meal in the evening? This thing sounds like the magic maker I wanted all my life.

It saves time and I always get something healthy and tasty to eat and many different things because it seems like you can almost cook anything in it...

Maybe? It sounds like you want a crockpot - the Instant Pot also does that just fine too, but a cheap crockpot will do the same.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
A crock pot is a terrible idea.

This is nothing but a programmable pressure pot with a bunch of extra safety features (which are important if you intend to leave it cooking while you are away) and functions. You can make preserves, stock, sauces, stews and soups relatively quickly and using one single appliance. A crock pot/slow cooker of the same size is also about as expensive, so it makes no sense.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Being European (pressure pots are much more popular in Europe in my experience) also means that you have ready access to hundreds of compatible recipes since this thing is basically an electric pressure pot with a timer.

Raxious

sooo, for someone who can't cook at all, how easy is this to use? I'm currently studying abroad and living off microwave meals ^^'

Really? I use the Saute mode pretty much every time.

It's pretty strange to me too, but most people I know give zero shits about how their food comes out as long as it won't kill them on the spot. It doesn't surprise me to discover they had the option all along. These are the sorts of monsters who'll put a joint of beef in at close to max temp for over an hour and happily chew their way through it :/

Vhalyar

A crock pot are a terrible idea.

This is nothing but a programmable pressure pot with a bunch of extra safety features (which are important if you intend to leave it cooking while you are away) and functions. You can make preserves, stock, sauces, stews and soups relatively quickly and using one single appliance. A crock pot/slow cooker of the same size is also about as expensive, so it makes no sense.

I know, but if someone's desire is to dump things in a pot and let it cook for an extended period of time, then the pressure function is not what's needed.

And there's a fairly big price difference between an IP and a cheapo-but-perfectly-usable slow cooker.

But yes, if price is not an issue an IP is always the best.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
They're selling this as a lightning deal on Amazon.ca right now if someone wants one.

I...don't cook at all, but I'll try this out and hope it helps.

Raxious

anyone got some good sources with recipes a beginner like myself could work with? I seem to find a lot of recipes that also require the oven, and I have no idea how the oven in this place works nor do I wanna find out :')

Ferrio

Banned
anyone got some good sources with recipes a beginner like myself could work with? I seem to find a lot of recipes that also require the oven, and I have no idea how the oven in this place works nor do I wanna find out :')

Any recipe that works with a pressure cooker works with this thing, you don't have to find instantpot specific recipes.

Ovens are super useful for ribs, whole chicken, etc., so you'll need to figure out your oven if you want to enjoy finishing those off properly.

That being said, you should check out the super crazy Facebook group (https://www.facebook.com/groups/InstantPotCommunity/), as well as https://thisoldgal.com/category/instantpot/, http://www.skinnytaste.com/recipes/pressure-cooker/, and http://www.seriouseats.com/tags/pressure cooker

JP_

Banned
Less of a recipe and more of a "it can do this too" but for great soft-medium boiled eggs, 1 cup of water for 3 minutes on low pressure with eggs on the trivet.

Just got my instant pot yesterday and have tested a few recipes. This thing is a lifechanger for me, big thanks to all for opening my eyes!

I don't have the Instant Pot, but my mom gave me her brand new Nesco PC6-25 Digital Pressure Cooker that she never uses. I just used it for the first time. Went with an easy recipe:

• 2 frozen boneless skinless chicken breasts
  • 1 cup of salsa
  • 1/2 cup of water

Pressure cooked on high for 12 minutes.

Delicious! I'm honestly blown away. Frozen chicken cooked perfectly in ~20 mins. Pure sorcery... I can't believe I had never used one of these things before.

Just made this one, is excellent! I think next time I make it I may reduce it to 1/4 cup of water, as the final product left a lot of excess liquid.

Just got my instant pot yesterday and have tested a few recipes. This thing is a lifechanger for me, big thanks to all for opening my eyes!

Just made this one, is excellent! I think next time I make it I may reduce it to 1/4 cup of water, as the final product left a lot of excess liquid.
Once it's done cooking and depressurizing, you can take off the lid and turn on the Sautee feature for a while to get the liquid to reduce until you're happy with it. With most recipes, you most definitely need to start with more than 1/4 cup of water.

randome

Just chiming in to say that the instant pot (specifically) fuckin rocks. Tried using another electric one that sucked.

Belker

I hope I'll be forgiven this bump, but there's a BBC story on the Instant Pot and its inventors. Since we all seem to be fans, I thought other people would be interested too.

Last summer on Amazon Prime Day, the online retailer's global 24-hour annual sale event, one of the top-selling products in the US was a multi-function electric cooker.
The item in question is called the Instant Pot, and more than 215,000 of them were snapped up in the US on that single day.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39058736

oti

Banned
Eggs on the trivet, 1/2 cup of water, 3 minutes on Manual, quick pressure release, then into an ice bath for like 20 seconds, just until i could hold them long enough to peel.

I might do 2 minutes next time to see how that turns out.

First time I tried 6, that was too much for my liking. 5 is pretty great. Next I'll try 4. Cooking eggs with this thing is so easy. Love it.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
Cool. I'll have to try experimenting with eggs more. I still cook them the old fashioned way.

I don't know where I even put that trivet. Did one come with the pot?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom