• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming April 2016 | Fool's Gold

PittaGAF

I won't annoy you anymore but please stop a second and let's savior this moment together because I just saved mankind.

I FUCKING SAVED MANKIND.

NpZtnku.png

PTecPUf.png

Awesome ending for a real masterpiece, one of the best of the best.

This game took me most all night (I'm wrecked) but it was truly worth it.
Now I want to break 200K score...I made some mistakes I won't do again.
One of the best scifi stories ever too.

Matt Frost

From the creators of Darklings (a game I really liked) and ROP comes... CATTCH. Comes out this 7th of April and you need to see the trailer...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7eBARdysCP8

AppStore Release Date : April, 7, 2016
Google Play ( in Beta, contact for invite )
Publisher of multiple award winning games Darklings and rop, presents you a new hero—CATTCH is coming to save the day!

This 2D platformer and puzzle game brings you the cutest characters, great physics, bright visuals and sound, mindbending levels with unique settings—and tons of challenging fun!

CATTCH is a super nice guy who’s good at helping anyone in need. His extraordinary skills come in handy one day when an army of evil black critters invade his cute little homeland called Cubika. CATTCH will chase them to the other side of the world, and he won't stop until his friends are safe and peace is restored!

Built of square blocks, those crazy cool worlds are full of dangers and surprises—levels will rotate and change shape, throw you in the air and take you underground! Hurry up to make your way through the challenges, save your friends, and fight the nasty critters—Go CATTCH!

Featuring:
Cattch — Cutest hero in the neighbourhood!
Smoothest 2D platformer & puzzler gameplay mechanics
Brilliant World of Cubika, comes in 3 magical themes
Amazing journey through 50 fun & challenging levels
Dozens of sweet stickers to collect
Incredible illustrations to tell the unfolding story

Jamesways

If you don't mind sim/management games, you might like this (currently on sale for free): Motorsport Manager
Thanks for the tip! I've seen reviews and videos of it but never tried it.

Played through the first race. Interesting take being on the management side rather than just driving. Successfully handling the teams money will trial by fire I feel.

Kosh

I won't annoy you anymore but please stop a second and let's savior this moment together because I just saved mankind.

I FUCKING SAVED MANKIND.

Awesome ending for a real masterpiece, one of the best of the best.

This game took me most all night (I'm wrecked) but it was truly worth it.
Now I want to break 200K score...I made some mistakes I won't do again.
One of the best scifi stories ever too.

What game is this?

PittaGAF

What game is this?

Out There Omega, updated with both expansions (free).

A choose your own adventure/survival/disaster management/rogue like game.

http://www.pockettactics.com/reviews/review-out-there/

http://toucharcade.com/2014/03/04/out-there-review/

Those reviews are for the plain game, later updated with Omega version (a new look and many improvements) and two Multiverse updates.
First multiverse update in particular added a much stronger persistence between runs (I highly recommend to select it).

It's a brutal game and the best endings require a ton of strategy and planning ahead, luck weights in much less than people just trying casually the game generally think.
Don't be shy to play in easy mode too eventually, when dying is much less frequent and the game is much more forgiving.

I happen to love the game :)

Benedict

I'm having problems with the Steam App. I can't open it, and when I try do delete the app to reinstall it it can't be deleted. I press the x button and confirm I want to delete the app but still won't go away.

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
There are 2 spots open in the "neogaf" clan in clash royale if that's your sort of thing. It's a good clan. Just mention you are a neogaf member when you request.

I'm having problems with the Steam App. I can't open it, and when I try do delete the app to reinstall it it can't be deleted. I press the x button and confirm I want to delete the app but still won't go away.

Sounds like an iOS issue.

Nothing to be done but the usual. Restart your phone. Reset the phone.

Whats some good board game/quiz/fun for 2 apps on the app store for a couple of hours journey?

And what happened to Trivial Pursuit? Has EA deleted it off the store? I'm sure I had that downloaded before.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Whats some good board game/quiz/fun for 2 apps on the app store for a couple of hours journey?

And what happened to Trivial Pursuit? Has EA deleted it off the store? I'm sure I had that downloaded before.

If I'm not mistaken EA doesn't have the license anymore, Ubisoft does.

Anyone play War of the Zombie? Released in 2013, been steadily updated since them. It's a global zombie outbreak sim, a mix of XCOM's world acale and management + real-time squad tactics. Can call in airstrikes, recruit doctors and diplomat, sabotage or help other countries, and more
https://appsto.re/us/v48eK.i

Matt Frost

I bought three games last week and... they are all pretty great.

Telepaint is awesome, really like it. The portal mechanic is well done in an interesting way, and new things that spice up gameplay are introduced often, things like teleporting keys, crates, switches and many more that keep adding on the fun. Currently finishing chapter two and some levels made me scratch my head more than once... graphics and music are perfect and fit the game perfectly, and when you die you make a splash, so when you finish it you know how much time you put into making it through the level. Something I like is that you have two choices to finish a level: frantically, twitch based thinking... or pausing the game and planning ahead so there is game for everyone. Doesn't reinvent the wheel but is a keeper. Got nice touches everywhere and has a lot of polish overall. Very Recommended. A great surprise.

Also got Lost Socks, and while the game is really charming and breathes a lot of life with its animations and theme, is very challenging at the same time, making it a joy to view and intense to play. You have three lives -thank god, with only one this could be considered punishment- to reach the end and they are needed. At least for me. So the first run is to see how is the level, complete missions, and the second try to ace it, get three stars and all the coins... but the combos you can make with its buttons option makes the second run much more enjoyable, since you know whats coming and can take them down with combos, so every run is different, and you dont feel like you are repeating the level all the time if you fail, you feel you are getting better because you kill foes in bigger combos, get better. The game also sports something that every upgrade junkie will love and will keep entertained for a long time: there are a lot of weapons and all sorts of upgrades, so the more you play, the best things you unlock, and there lies something that I really love about the "unlock" genre. Combine that with some really good art and running gameplay and we have a winner. This is not an average runner by any means, it has meat and you can try to ace it with combos all the time. I love it. Outstanding.

Also bought the Powerpuff game, but I havent given it much time aside from the tutorial and some levels... so far it seems interesting because of the flipping and you can either play in a brawler or a match-3 game, and Grumpyface has some tricks on their sleeves like having to do on purpose that in order to beat a baddie and sure the game looks to be amazing, and the developer always delivers (play Super Mole Escape, Mutant Fridge Mayhem, Bring Me Sandwiches, Wispin or Castle Doombad (a favorite), all fantastic) but the two games I mentioned above is taking all my free time. Will give this one the proper time it needs soon...

Three spectacular games in a week. Now comes Shadow Bug, thinking about picking up Power Hoover once and for all... I think I am going to renew my gaming apps... great iOS times ahead...

I had a good time beta testing Shadow Bug, fun game with interesting mechanics. Will buy it later when I arrive home...

awp69

^^ Beta tested Shadow Bug as well. But it was around the time when I was having all kinds of weird issues with Test Flight so only tested early in the process.

At that point I thought it had great art but the gameplay didn't do much for me. That said it may have come a long way since then.

Being more picky with my purchases I'm going to sit it out for now.

Xenoflare

Anyone with A8 devices bought This War of Mine on iOS? Played a bit of this game on my friend's laptop and I figured the point and click nature is better suited for touch.

Anyone with A8 devices bought This War of Mine on iOS? Played a bit of this game on my friend's laptop and I figured the point and click nature is better suited for touch.
I've played it on my iPad Mini. It plays well on touch, although I prefer using the mouse

Matt Frost

Something very strange happened... at night I plugged in my iPhone to charge it... and when I woke up it was the same, didnt do that at all... battery was empty like yesterdat.... but when I connected it to my laptop it started charging the battery... and now is fully charged... what was that? Is it normal? Should I worry?

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Something very strange happened... at night I plugged in my iPhone to charge it... and when I woke up it was the same, didnt do that at all... battery was empty like yesterdat.... but when I connected it to my laptop it started charging the battery... and now is fully charged... what was that? Is it normal? Should I worry?

Check your socket on your phone is not filled with dirt/fluff. Use a toothpick to clean stuff out of there.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

Tell tell signs of fluff or other small stuff obscuring the connectors in the socket.

Matt Frost

Tell tell signs of fluff or other small stuff obscuring the connectors in the socket.

Test the same plug with a new cable, and a new plug with the same cable to see if either of them are the problem.

Check your socket on your phone is not filled with dirt/fluff. Use a toothpick to clean stuff out of there.

Thanks you so much with all your replies, will try all the methods you said when I arrive home ASAP. Thanks again! <3

Got into the Spellbinders beta. Really fun. This could scratch the Clash Royale itch for me if the in-game economy isn't wack.

Evenbillybob

Neo Member
I have a problem with Out There on my iPad 4.
It keeps crashing right after the cutscene before you start a new game, I can still start a game using quick-start, but New Game keeps crashing.

I have even reset the iPad to factory settings, but the problem still occurs.
Has anyone experienced the same?

Famassu

So.. I'm looking for a word game that is/was available for I THINK iOS & Android. It's an asynchronous two-player game where, IIRC, you need to find words & "conquer" areas towards your opponents end, "chaining" words to as long a continuous chain as possible (you can start a new word with any letter of the previously chained words if you can find a word that connects to your chain's letter). You take turns and the person who manages to get the chain to the opponent's end wins. Does this ring a bell? Trying to search for word games is hopeless since it just brings up a gazillion versions of scrabble and other word games.

So.. I'm looking for a word game that is/was available for I THINK iOS & Android. It's an asynchronous two-player game where, IIRC, you need to find words & "conquer" areas towards your opponents end, "chaining" words to as long a continuous chain as possible (you can start a new word with any letter of the previously chained words if you can find a word that connects to your chain's letter). You take turns and the person who manages to get the chain to the opponent's end wins. Does this ring a bell? Trying to search for word games is hopeless since it just brings up a gazillion versions of scrabble and other word games.
Capitals?
https://appsto.re/us/eRxU5.i

Famassu

Hmm.. that's not quite it. It's more of a "find words from a jumble of letters on the board" kind of game than creating them out of nothing. Though that does look fun.

Am I bad for liking Clash Royale?

yes it has art and style like the treadmill / whale fishing expedition that is "Clash of Clans".

However I think its worth playing. Its a MOBA light. A hearthstone light. You can play one match up in 2 minutes so its an ideal one thumb game. Its slick. Its genuinely got some depth. I'm sure at some point I'll want to spend money on it so much that I'll delete it BUT it seems pretty interesting until whatever that point is.

So its a moba - you've 3 bases, there are two lanes, you get mana to throw down (warp in) units, who battle. You can aggro and kite. There are a ton of units to unlock and level up. When you lose its mainly a skill deficit, and the trophy system of match-making means you play against someone with a similar power army. So those who spend money just go to higher rank matches faster. Which means some of the desire to crush someone by spending money is taken away. Which is good if you prefer not to spend any money.

awp69

If you were on the fence on Implosion, it's down to its lowest price ever -- $1.99.

Actually, I sense an incoming Apple promoted sale.
Others so far:

Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons --- $1.99
Transistor --- $2.99
Prune -- $1.99
Prism -- $.99 (been thinking of this one for a while .. and bought!)
Radiation Island --- $.99
Rules! --- $.99

PaulLFC

The sale is a great time to catch up on some games I've missed out on before I upgraded to an Air 2 - bought Transistor, Implosion, Broken Age and Brothers. Also bought Templar Battleforce a couple of days ago (now seems to be full price again), and bought Crashlands.

Only had chance to play a little bit of Crashlands so far, but it seems really good. I'm liking the humour, and it eliminates many of the problems I have with these types of games usually (inventory seemingly not limited, being able to teleport whenever you like). Cross save is a great feature too.

TheExodu5

Banned
Anyone using an iPad Pro 12.9 or 9.7? Considering upgrading from my Air 1...but I'm seriously questioning if it's even worth it at this point. My Air still feels plenty capable, and the 9.7 Pro is a bit gimped at 2GB of RAM.

Ambitious

Bought Downwell. It's cool, but I can't get used to the touch controls. Should have waited for the Vita port, but I didn't actually know it was coming. I looked it up just now while writing this post.

Matt Frost

Bought Downwell. It's cool, but I can't get used to the touch controls. Should have waited for the Vita port, but I didn't actually know it was coming. I looked it up just now while writing this post.
I thought it controlled pretty well on touch, especially given the kind of speed and precision you need, but yeah, it definitely controls better with a controller or keyboard

Top Bottom