• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming April 2016 | Fool's Gold

Okay, Chameleon Run is fantastic, and I'm only two levels in. The controls feel great, the visuals are nice, and it's not just rote endless runner. There's a speed-running aspect, multi-route levels, extra objectives like completing levels without switching colors. And shaving seconds off your times take skill; switching color just before landing gives you a speed boost, so getting the best time means precisely timed jumps, daringly timed switches, and figuring out the fastest most direct way through a level

There are 16 levels in the game, but there's a nice amount of challenge and replay value for each level, and the devs always provided good post-release content for their games

An easy recommendation for $2

Pachimari

Damn, I need to get that credit card soon. So here's my shopping list for my vacation so far:

- Chameleon Run
- Rules
- Prune
- Prism
- Spl-t
- Power Hover
- Lost in Harmony
- Kingdom Hearts: Unchained X

Matt Frost

This is actually the first Cut The Rope I've ever played

Every Cut the Rope game (except the official sequel) is amazing in its own rights, specially the first one. AppStore classics without doubt and must plays

Power Hover update is here with a funky new icon.

What an amazing icon it is... didnt know it was made by the devs behind the fantastic Retry...
tumblr_nyfs0gbqHp1ukj7blo1_1280.png

Pachimari

Got myself a Canadian account. Now for that Disney Crossy Road!

Are there other games which have soft-launched in Canada and which isn't available anywhere else?

Pachimari

Just downloaded Disney Crossy Road. This is gonna become my all-time favorite mobile game, I can feel it. Crossy Road's gameplay with Disney galore, yes please!

Matt Frost

CATTCH is very very good... I really like the level design and how it rotates giving you new paths so the exit. Also, when you repeat a level, everything you collected previously is looted, so you just have to focus on the things left. That and many more little touches makes it great. Plus the art, music and controls are perfect.

DRAGON HILLS got a content update... with a new theme, two dragons, fixes and improvements. Nice. Always liked that game, time to play it again...

But the real star of the show is... POWER HOVER... Loving it. Why didnt I buy it before? Dont know, but I always leave the best for last, so no wonder... this is my new addiction. I am loving every second of it. Now back to playing it more, cant stop now... xD why did I buy it? My free time if officially over... :D

awp69

Anyone play the Abduction of Bacon at Dawn, Brave Rooster? Remember being interested in it and it's on sale for $.99.

I also did pick up Chameleon Run. Pretty cool platformer. The double jump mechanics are a little different than other platformers and kind of threw me off a bit.

But the challenge picks up. I know it has replayability but so wish it had more levels already being half way through in about 20 minutes. Then again we're only talking $2.

Anyone play the Abduction of Bacon at Dawn, Brave Rooster? Remember being interested in it and it's on sale for $.99.

I also did pick up Chameleon Run. Pretty cool platformer. The double jump mechanics are a little different than other platformers and kind of threw me off a bit.

But the challenge picks up. I know it has replayability but so wish it had more levels already being half way through in about 20 minutes. Then again we're only talking $2.
I think akin to a game like Mikey Shorts. The real challenge is maximizing all the moves and swapping to improve your times.

And the developer said more levels will be coming

awp69

It think akin to a game like Mikey Shorts. The real challenge is maximizing all the moves and to improve your times.

And the developer said more levels will be coming

It does have some great level design. I'll definitely be replaying levels even just to get the various goals.

It does have some great level design. I'll definitely be replaying levels even just to get the various goals.
Hyperbolic is proving themselves to be one versatile and quality iOS dev. One game that took the basic Angry Birds formula and inverted it into a smart inventive puzzler, one puzzler that plays like the next best thing to SpaceChem on mobile, and now this well designed platformer

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Finally got around to installing Clash Royale a few days ago.

After playing Clash of Clans for a couple of years, I find it instantly more compelling than that game. The gameplay probably has the same amount of depth but the head to head competitive nature, it being incredibly accessible, and less "work" to do make it much more engaging much faster.

Seems incredibly well balanced, though I think I made the mistake of assuming gold would be easier to come by than it actually is and spent where I shouldn't have. Am yet to spend any gems, but I feel that delicate pressure there. I can understand people being frustrated by the chest system, but I haven't found personally it frustrating as yet (indeed, there is a challenging metagame to be played in managing and optimizing chest opens).

Can see myself playing this on and off for a while.

Ambitious

I thought it controlled pretty well on touch, especially given the kind of speed and precision you need, but yeah, it definitely controls better with a controller or keyboard

It's not terrible, but I have trouble jumping on a specific enemy. Either I miss it, or I hit it from the side and lose a health point.

Matt Frost

Anyone playing Pug's Quest? Edit: I guess not

Anyone play the Abduction of Bacon at Dawn, Brave Rooster? Remember being interested in it and it's on sale for $.99

Run and gun platformer that was interesting, unlocking new weapons and has replayability in the form of replaying levels with new weapons to open new paths. Art was impressive. For 1$, go for it

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
Finally got around to installing Clash Royale a few days ago.

After playing Clash of Clans for a couple of years, I find it instantly more compelling than that game. The gameplay probably has the same amount of depth but the head to head competitive nature, it being incredibly accessible, and less "work" to do make it much more engaging much faster.

Seems incredibly well balanced, though I think I made the mistake of assuming gold would be easier to come by than it actually is and spent where I shouldn't have. Am yet to spend any gems, but I feel that delicate pressure there. I can understand people being frustrated by the chest system, but I haven't found personally it frustrating as yet (indeed, there is a challenging metagame to be played in managing and optimizing chest opens).

Can see myself playing this on and off for a while.
Yeah gold is the main resource so to speak. Don't spend gems on chests, do it on gold.

PittaGAF

Speaking of Clash Royale I'm super addicted too...which is surprising because a free to play game never lasted on my iPhone more more than few days most.

I was ONE INCH away to reach Arena 5 hours ago....now I'm in bottom Arena 4 hell once again :(
I blame work calls on my iPhone when I was about to destroy my opponents of course :p

It's an incredibly balanced and well made game, super fast and pretty deep.

Too bad NeoGAF is split on several guilds...I can't recognize anyone of you in the one I'm in (the first one was full when I got the game).

pdk27

Speaking of Clash Royale I'm super addicted too...which is surprising because a free to play game never lasted on my iPhone more more than few days most.

I was ONE INCH away to reach Arena 5 hours ago....now I'm in bottom Arena 4 hell once again :(
I blame work calls on my iPhone when I was about to destroy my opponents of course :p

Too bad NeoGAF is split on several guilds...I can't recognize anyone of you in the one I'm in (the first one was full when I got the game).

Haha, my wife has a knack for calling when I'm in the middle of a match. I decline the call and call her back after. :)

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"

I'm at the top of Arena 3 trying to break into Arena 4 but it never lets me past 1080 cups. ^^

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
I've been stuck on Arena 3 for weeks now ;_; Constantly going between 887 and 950. Can't get close to 1000.

I had a brief stint in Arena 4 today now, managed to get 2 silver chests of that caliber before venturing down to Arena 3 again. I doubt I get any Arena 4 cards from those chests though..

awp69

Has anyone played NO THING. Looks like a pretty cool, minimalist but trippy runner.

Debating on that or CATTCH.

Also, can you play the new levels in Power Hover without beating the last original level (yes, I'll admit it...I have not been able to get past it)?

Matt Frost

Has anyone played NO THING. Looks like a pretty cool, minimalist but trippy runner.

Debating on that or CATTCH.

I dont have NO THING, didnt know it was a runner, now I will have to check it out... but CATTCH is a damn solid game. Like it a lot. And I recently visited PG and I am not the only one who thinks that here...

Pachimari

Tales of Link were released today.

Disney Crossy Road seems to be out worldwide.

Kingdom Hearts: Unchained is out in NA as well.

awp69

I dont have NO THING, didnt know it was a runner, now I will have to check it out... but CATTCH is a damn solid game. Like it a lot. And I recently visited PG and I am not the only one who thinks that here...

Probably going to get NO THING on Android to use a little credit. And might as well grab CATTCH as well.

Damn I'm getting so many new games....

awp69

And we still got Warbits and maybe Hexcells this month

Yeah, definately getting Warbits. Enjoying the test version which seems prime for release as it is. I still suck at it but I like it!

I also had picked up Prism and Brave Rooster from this week's sales (had most of the others).

Matt Frost

Probably going to get NO THING on Android to use a little credit. And might as well grab CATTCH as well.

Damn I'm getting so many new games....

If you do, please post impressions :)

Edit: Awp, if you want, you can beta test CATTCH for android, write an email to
weare@mildmania.com
and try to get in

awp69

If you do, please post impressions :)

Edit: Awp, if you want, you can beta test CATTCH for android, write an email to
weare@mildmania.com
and try to get in

Ah, well, already bought CATTCH for iOS. Haven't played it yet.

Got and played a bit of NO THING. It's pretty cool so far. First person trippy maze type game which I heard gets really wild once you get to the second level (which I haven't yet made it too). Has bizarre story text.

It's also on Steam and is getting good reviews there so far.

Hope to play both more tonight.

Been getting back into English Country Tune because the dev's next game is releasing on PC this month. Seriously, if you enjoy challenging puzzlers with interesting mechanics that combine into tricky conundrums where part of the enjoyment is just learning how those mechanics work, you need to check out English Country Tune

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/english-country-tune/id476962614

zXHPTtO.gif

(from PC version, mobile has same puzzles with downgraded graphics)

Ketch

How are the controls in implosion? I really dislike virtual joystick games so I'm guessing I'll dislike it aswell.

Played some lofty dungeon. It's another one of those. I like it much better than the pacman or shooter versions. Probably tied with the OG crossyroads for me.

How are the controls in implosion? I really dislike virtual joystick games so I'm guessing I'll dislike it aswell.

Played some lofty dungeon. It's another one of those. I like it much better than the pacman or shooter versions. Probably tied with the OG crossyroads for me.
Was going a bit tired of seeing the whole "-y [Noun]" trend that basically copies Crossy Road's style, but I guess I'll give it a shot

Top Bottom