• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming April 2016 | Fool's Gold

PittaGAF

Wait until he's in your troop zone and drop troops on top of him. He'll destroy clustered troops at range.

Hmmmm I'll try again but last time I dropped on him level 8 skeletons that did nothing.
I'll try with aerial troops.

Too bad I'm back at 1300 now :(

bjork

I was surprised to see High Seas Story in the US shop, so I checked it out. Maybe I need to come back to it later, because I made it through the first quest and had already seen enough. But I love pirate stuff, so I'm going to try again later and hope once you're done with the tutorial-type stuff, it opens up more.

omg_mjd

Just giving mobile gaming another chance and I'm loving Card Crawl and Implosion so far, plus I've got a couple of old games in my backlog like Wayward Souls and Hoplite that I'm excited to dive back into.

Btw it's alright if I post here right? I'm on Android (LG G4) but a lot of games seem to be cross-platform these days. Android Gaming thread is pretty slow aside from sales updates.

Pachimari

Just giving mobile gaming another chance and I'm loving Card Crawl and Implosion so far, plus I've got a couple of old games in my backlog like Wayward Souls and Hoplite that I'm excited to dive back into.

Btw it's alright if I post here right? I'm on Android (LG G4) but a lot of games seem to be cross-platform these days. Android Gaming thread is pretty slow aside from sales updates.
Yeah just post in here. I love when new people come by to add to the thread.

Just completed the training in Clash Royale and is at Arena 1. I love cards in my games and I had no idea this was about cards decks. I'm totally loving it!

PaulLFC

If I've played none of the Chaos Rings games, should I aim to play the first two before buying the 3rd, or should I just jump in with the latest in the series?

awp69

Saw TA picking Looty Dungeon as GoTW and decided to give it at try. It's okay but not anything to get excited about IMO.

Certainly not over Chamelon Run, CATTCH or NO THING -- all of which made this one of the better weeks in a while.

PaulLFC

Been reading the past monthly threads from this year to try and catch up on games I've missed - some advice I've seen is to back up apps to a PC/Mac in case they get delisted and disappear from your purchase history (like Monkey Island :( ).

Google tells me the way to do this in iTunes is File -> Devices -> Transfer Purchases. Connected my iPad, did that and while it did sync, it was very quick and didn't seem to sync any apps - none are listed in the Apps section in iTunes.

Back to Google and it seems Apple may have removed the ability to transfer apps with iOS 9 - if that's true, is there actually a way to back up apps to protect against delisting, or are we out of luck?

Downloading Barrier X. Just saw a trailer and the sense of speed looks insane. It's free, with an iAP to remove ads

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/barrier-x/id1052123679

FK8hIpP.gif

Edit: Okay, this is awesome. Super slick and polished, and each level introduces a new element to the left-right evasion. If you need a new high-speed twitchy arcade game, check this out now

PaulLFC

What are everyone's "go to" games that they still play regularly even after they've been out a while?

I find myself going back to Score! Hero almost daily. It's great - builds on the concept of the original Score while allowing you more freedom for pass/shot placement, and while it's F2P, it feels fair and the timers when they do arrive aren't overly long. It also lets you carry on playing if you watch an ad video. Feels like one of the fairest F2P games I've played, and a very addictive game in its own right. The production values are excellent.

PaulLFC

Mines are, in no particular order:

Elder sign: Omens
Card crawl
Lost cities
Nightmare Cooperative
Out There
I'm always really tempted to try Out There after reading the positive impressions in these threads, but I also see that it's supposedly very difficult, and I'm not usually great at games that are renowned for their difficulty - wasn't a huge fan of Dark Souls for example.

Mi-Clos' 3 newly announced games all sound great though, so I'm looking forward to those.

I'm always really tempted to try Out There after reading the positive impressions in these threads, but I also see that it's supposedly very difficult, and I'm not usually great at games that are renowned for their difficulty - wasn't a huge fan of Dark Souls for example.

Mi-Clos' 3 newly announced games all sound great though, so I'm looking forward to those.
It's not mechanically difficult like a dual stick shooter or Dark Souls, but rather difficult in the sense of resource management and some RNG in terms of what planets you encounter

The real joy is the sense of exploration and the discovery through the text events

PittaGAF

The original base Out There was brutal, and if you didn't play really carefully an event could kill you instantly (tough to be honest the luck factor is way less important than many thought).
Additional (free) expansions made the game easier and more manageable.
Now if you die you have great chances to find your previous ship in the following runs adding persistency to the runs.
If you die a lot...after let's say 10 runs you will have 10 ships (with their content) scattered around the Galaxy waiting for you.
There is now a simple tech that basically it's a save point/restart checkpoint which greatly help too.

Also, they added an 'easy' mode.
Don't be shy to use it....it's the very same game but events and damages are way less dangerous, making almost impossible to die all of a sudden.
With less required planning easy mode let you enjoy exploration without the fear of dying every turn.

People that keep playing almost always notice that after a while they improve constantly to the point that they can always green end the game and most of the time blue and red end the game, as a testament that luck is much less important than it first seems, due to the fact that after a while you will know which resources to look for first and which tech to have to proceed.
Also...while there are a ton of events....after a while they are predictable so you will know before choosing what will happen to you (usually you trade something like fuel for damage, tech for fuel, etc...or you simply take the chance and try to be warped in another system).

Gold ending....that it's another matter...it requires some serious planning, a galaxy full of previous used ships, and a lot of exploring and adventuring, but I do not want to spoil anything.

But let's just say the brutality of the game is required by the game background...it want to show how difficult would be to survive for a single human being when alone in the space....out there :)

If you ever want to try it and are in trouble, just let me know and I can provide some key point or a general strategy to survive.

PaulLFC

It's not mechanically difficult like a dual stick shooter or Dark Souls, but rather difficult in the sense of resource management and some RNG in terms of what planets you encounter

The real joy is the sense of exploration and the discovery through the text events

The original base Out There was brutal, and if you didn't play really carefully an event could kill you instantly (tough to be honest the luck factor is way less important than many thought).
Additional (free) expansions made the game easier and more manageable.
Now if you die you have great chances to find your previous ship in the following runs adding persistency to the runs.
If you die a lot...after let's say 10 runs you will have 10 ships (with their content) scattered around the Galaxy waiting for you.
There is now a simple tech that basically it's a save point/restart checkpoint which greatly help too.

Also, they added an 'easy' mode.
Don't be shy to use it....it's the very same game but events and damages are way less dangerous, making almost impossible to die all of a sudden.
With less required planning easy mode let you enjoy exploration without the fear of dying every turn.

People that keep playing almost always notice that after a while they improve constantly to the point that they can always green end the game and most of the time blue and red end the game, as a testament that luck is much less important than it first seems, due to the fact that after a while you will know which resources to look for first and which tech to have to proceed.
Also...while there are a ton of events....after a while they are predictable so you will know before choosing what will happen to you (usually you trade something like fuel for damage, tech for fuel, etc...or you simply take the chance and try to be warped in another system).

Gold ending....that it's another matter...it requires some serious planning, a galaxy full of previous used ships, and a lot of exploring and adventuring, but I do not want to spoil anything.

But let's just say the brutality of the game is required by the game background...it want to show how difficult would be to survive for a single human being when alone in the space....out there :)

If you ever want to try it and are in trouble, just let me know and I can provide some key point or a general strategy to survive.
Thanks both of you - after reading these posts I think I'm going to buy it. I like the sound of a lot of focus on exploration and backstory, since I'm a fan of text adventure / choose your own adventure stuff.

Easy mode sounds like it'll help too!

Edit: And bought!

PittaGAF

Thanks both of you - after reading these posts I think I'm going to buy it. I like the sound of a lot of focus on exploration and backstory, since I'm a fan of text adventure / choose your own adventure stuff.

Easy mode sounds like it'll help too!

Edit: And bought!

Cool!!!
I hope you like the game as I do!!!

If you have doubts or need anything, just ask here or pm!!!

For starters be sure to select the first multiverse expansion but NOT the second one (which makes the game INCREDIBLY more difficult).

Happy dying :)

awp69

What are everyone's "go to" games that they still play regularly even after they've been out a while?

Hero Emblems
Chaos Rings 3 (because it's a long ass game!)
Geometry Wars 3
HoPiKo (it may not be long but it's so hard I haven't finished it)
Card Cawl
Asphalt 8
Forget-me-not
Pac-man CE DX
Various Cave shmups (kind of rotate them)
Sproggiwood
Air Attack 2

...and there are a TON of other games I still haven't finished due to my backlog. But out of the sort of older games (and really old with Forget-me-not), those are what I play fairly regularly.

Probably are others between devices I've left off.

omg_mjd

Just dropped by to say Horizon Chase is awesome. I kept hearing it described as some amazingly done 16-bit-era homage but always thought it was too good to be true. Well, happily I was wrong. It has this unique retro-modern aesthetic and plays beautifully too.

Pachimari

I have only completed the tutorial. So if I don't have any sword or shield, I have to drag one of the beasts on my card to lose life?

I have only completed the tutorial. So if I don't have any sword or shield, I have to drag one of the beasts on my card to lose life?
In Card Crawl? Yes, part of the challenge is balancing your own life with taking damage, dealing damage, etc. As you progress, you'll unlock new ability cards that really push that aspect, like dealing damage equivalent to how much life you're missing or upping your max health if you use that ability at full health

PittaGAF

Do you mean Card Crawl?
Yes.

Keep in mind that the objective of the game (in standard mode) is not getting out of the dungeon (surviving till the last card), which is relatively easy...it's topping your high score (or even better, your friends ones) which is the really hard thing to do having you making a lot of decisions weighting risk/reward ('discarding useful items gives you gold).

Then there is constructed mode where you choose your own deck...it's an advanced mode for high scores and fulfilling quests (to unlock new characters).

Last...there is delve mode where you must survive a dungeon with a minimum score to go the next one (more difficult).

SOLDIER

Anyone got any recommendations on word, puzzle or quiz games with multiplayer? Something along the lines of Words with Friends or Candy Crush.

bjork

Puzzle & Dragons
One Piece Treasure Cruise

I bought a new ipod a little while back, and I use a different account for music, but I had a couple of old goodies on that account. Canabalt and Power Pros Baseball. I was amazed I could still download Power Pros, I figured Konami would've wiped it.

I never played Crossy Road before, but holy shit I'm hooked on the new Disney version. The Haunted Mansion narration is straight from the park, it's very cool.

Pachimari

To me it is. It just needs more franchises.

There's not many other games, that have made me come back daily over the years. Super Hexagon, Flappy Bird and Solitaire comes up.

bjork

To me it is. It just needs more franchises.

There's not many other games, that have made me come back daily over the years. Super Hexagon, Flappy Bird and Solitaire comes up.

Are you referring to regular Crossy Road, as far as coming back to it? I kinda agree that it's good for that.

But yeah, even if there's already a ton of dudes in Disney Crossy Road, it's a lot of characters I don't really know. If they keep pumping it full of new stages and characters, it'll definitely be top-tier for me, on the quick play kind of games.

Pachimari

Are you referring to regular Crossy Road, as far as coming back to it? I kinda agree that it's good for that.
Yes, as a quick-play kind of game.

I just want more Pixar franchises and Marvel in Disney Crossy Road. If you got one of the Toy Story characters it's so great. Loving the "melody" playing from the movies.

Matt Frost

3 or so days after installing iOS 9.3.2 and GameCenter works like it did with iOS 4,5,6 and 7. Awesome to have it back! :D

Disney Crossy Road is the best game on mobile.

Try Looty Dungeon, is better than DCR

Whale Trail
Worm Run
Boson X
Dragon Hills
BADLAND 2
Power Hover

Downloading Barrier X. Just saw a trailer and the sense of speed looks insane. It's free, with an iAP to remove ads

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/barrier-x/id1052123679

FK8hIpP.gif

Edit: Okay, this is awesome. Super slick and polished, and each level introduces a new element to the left-right evasion. If you need a new high-speed twitchy arcade game, check this out now

Downloading, looks great

PaulLFC

Besides this thread, what are the best sites to keep up with news about iOS gaming?

Currently setting up Reeder and I have a folder for iOS Gaming news, which at the moment includes:

PocketGamer news section RSS feed
Pocket Tactics RSS feed
TouchArcade news section RSS feed

Are there any other good sites I'm missing?

am_dragon

Hero Emblems
Chaos Rings 3 (because it's a long ass game!)
Geometry Wars 3
HoPiKo (it may not be long but it's so hard I haven't finished it)
Card Cawl
Asphalt 8
Forget-me-not
Pac-man CE DX
Various Cave shmups (kind of rotate them)
Sproggiwood
Air Attack 2

...and there are a TON of other games I still haven't finished due to my backlog. But out of the sort of older games (and really old with Forget-me-not), those are what I play fairly regularly.

Probably are others between devices I've left off.

Wow I have almost the same list, including the Cave Shmups. I love Sproggiwood,
I would add:

Starbase Orion
Out There
Ascension
League of Evil 2
Minotron
Piyo Blocks 2
Pacman CE DX
Puzzle and Dragons - my one f2p guilty pleasure, 3+ years of almost daily play. I would not recommend trying this game, stay away.

Besides this thread, what are the best sites to keep up with news about iOS gaming?

Currently setting up Reeder and I have a folder for iOS Gaming news, which at the moment includes:

PocketGamer news section RSS feed
Pocket Tactics RSS feed
TouchArcade news section RSS feed

Are there any other good sites I'm missing?
Those are the main ones. There's also r/iosgaming, but that isn't as useful. IndieGames.com and Indiegamesmag cover mobile as well

I'm on some press lists so I got that avenue, plus I'll browse TIGSource devlogs for stuff in development

Top Bottom