• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming April 2016 | Fool's Gold

Jamesways

It's generally really stable, especially X.X.X version that are bug fixes.

I had the bug for a second time a few days ago but I restored from iCloud to get rid of it. Still, a few users and more now have been reporting that it fixes it so it's at least a temporary fix.
I downloaded the beta to test. I'm still getting the exact same crashes when playing real racing 3. The same events are crashing it every time so no change for me. The game is still basically unplayable on my phone. Bummer.

Thankfully, I have an iPad without iOS 9 that can still play it.

killercow

I downloaded the beta to test. I'm still getting the exact same crashes when playing real racing 3. The same events are crashing it every time so no change for me. The game is still basically unplayable on my phone. Bummer.

Is that related to Game Center or just an issue with RR3? Because if it's the latter, only a patch from EA/Firemonkeys will fix that.

Matt Frost

So until EA fixes it on its own, dont update that iPad. New iOS versions doesnt fix third party apps, they only fix and improve Apple software. And 9.3.2 is for GameCenter mostly and other small fixes. And as far as I can tell, they solved the problem.

killercow

So until EA fixes it on its own, dont update that iPad. New iOS versions doesnt fix third party apps, they only fix and improve Apple software. And 9.3.2 is for GameCenter mostly and other small fixes. And as far as I can tell, they solved the problem.

Some users are reporting that Game Center can still crash if you launch a lot of apps but so far a simple reboot fixes it.

Matt Frost

Besides this thread, what are the best sites to keep up with news about iOS gaming?

Currently setting up Reeder and I have a folder for iOS Gaming news, which at the moment includes:

PocketGamer news section RSS feed
Pocket Tactics RSS feed
TouchArcade news section RSS feed

Are there any other good sites I'm missing?

Twitter! Make a Twitter account and follow every developer you find and you are set. I dont even need to visit TA or PG anymore. Twitter knows first. There is the latest information about their games and even more. And developers there are friendly to each other and even retweet other games (that why I knew of the existence of Looty Dungeon. Matt Hall, creator of Crossy Road tweeted about it on his account). It is a cool place and you can even interact with them.

Some users are reporting that Game Center can still crash if you launch a lot of apps but so far a simple reboot fixes it.

For me is: run one app, play it, close it and open another, maybe two at the same times... but thats it (dont have more than 17 games installed at the moment) so I will try that and send the results to Apple via the Feedback app if something goes wrong. Thanks for the info KC!

Jamesways

Is that related to Game Center or just an issue with RR3? Because if it's the latter, only a patch from EA/Firemonkeys will fix that.

I never had an issue with the game until 9.3. Some users had it earlier, and seems to be related to Game Center as far as I understand. GC tries to pull the user comparison/leaderboard data in for races and it crashes. People have posted about it on various RR3 boards, but the general consensus is that it's GC related still.
I've tried signing out and signing back into GC, and that worked for the first 2 days. I've tried playing in airplane mode, it still crashes when GC tries to connect with it.

I've submitted a ticket with Firemonkeys about it. We'll see what they say.

In the meantime, may just completely wipe and restore my phone, that's Apple's recommendation.

killercow

I never had an issue with the game until 9.3. Some users had it earlier, and seems to be related to Game Center as far as I understand. GC tries to pull the user comparison/leaderboard data in for races and it crashes. People have posted about it on various RR3 boards, but the general consensus is that it's GC related still.
I've tried signing out and signing back into GC, and that worked for the first 2 days. I've tried playing in airplane mode, it still crashes when GC tries to connect with it.

I've submitted a ticket with Firemonkeys about it. We'll see what they say.

In the meantime, may just completely wipe and restore my phone, that's Apple's recommendation.

If it's still crashing with iOS 9.3.2 (with Game Center working), it seems to be something that only Firemonkeys can fix. Restoring won't help here.

Jamesways

If it's still crashing with iOS 9.3.2 (with Game Center working), it seems to be something that only Firemonkeys can fix. Restoring won't help here.
Then that sucks man. About 85-90% of the races/events cause it to crash.

I'm keeping the iPad at 8.2 or whatever it is.

YES!!! Restoring worked. It works again. My crack rock is back on the phone!

awp69

Just tried PKT BALL. It's pretty fun. I know it's primarily geared towards multiplayer, but I'd love to see them add a formal single player career mode (and I'd be wiling to pay for it).

Jamesways

Ah I'm so happy to get RR3 back working. Man.

Ok, so thanks for posting the "go-to's" in this thread, some really good recommendations. Tried out several and stuck with Impossible Road, Prune, and _Prism yesterday.

Impossible Road is really hard. One could say... impossible even.

Really enjoying _Prism, that's great on the iPad.

Ah I'm so happy to get RR3 back working. Man.

Ok, so thanks for posting the "go-to's" in this thread, some really good recommendations. Tried out several and stuck with Impossible Road, Prune, and _Prism yesterday.

Impossible Road is really hard. One could say... impossible even.

Really enjoying _Prism, that's great on the iPad.
Did you figure out the trick to better scores in Impossible Road?

Matt Frost

I love Impossible Road and can't wait for the PS4 version with multiplayer up to 8 persons, improved visuals, etc...

Offtopic: Also love Enter the Gungeon for my PS4 as well. That is a good game to have there. Play it daily, getting better. If you own a PS4, you need that game.

PaulLFC

Okay PKT BALL is awesome.

I'm not great at it, but it's very good. Hopefully some sort of more in-depth single player mode gets added at some point. I wish all F2P games implemented their monetisation mechanics as fairly. Hope it's successful for Laser Dog.

Anybody else playing Tap Tap Trillionaire? It's an investing game where you make money by tapping the screen as much as you can. It's great to pass time and some of the names are pretty funny.

nampad

Wow, this must be the first time a Simogo game was on sale because I have looked on appshopper for their games and they never had any discounts.
Fortunately, I didn't buy SPL-T some weeks ago because I thought it would never be on sale.

Nearly jumped at Downwell but I rather wait for the Vita port with buttons (my Mfi controller can't hold the phone vertically). Another one was Brothers which has no Mfi support so I just can't support the dev by buying the game.

Really thinking about getting Prune though.

PittaGAF

How the hell do you summon consecutive cards in Clash Royale?

I was about to enter Arena 5 and I just lost 5 consecutive games due to people that summon 2 princes or 2 giants consecutively.

How they do that? Is there a 'mirror' card???

nampad

How the hell do you summon consecutive cards in Clash Royale?

I was about to enter Arena 5 and I just lost 5 consecutive games due to people that summon 2 princes or 2 giants consecutively.

How they do that? Is there a 'mirror' card???

Yes, there is a mirror card.

So Warbits comes out this week (finally)!!!

Yeeesssss. So hype.

Downloading Barrier X. Just saw a trailer and the sense of speed looks insane. It's free, with an iAP to remove ads

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/barrier-x/id1052123679

FK8hIpP.gif

Edit: Okay, this is awesome. Super slick and polished, and each level introduces a new element to the left-right evasion. If you need a new high-speed twitchy arcade game, check this out now

The sense of speed in this game is insane. I played on my phone. Then tried it on my iPad Pro. I don't think I can go back to the small screen. It's so smooth and fast.

awp69

Please post those impressions, game looks lovely

Goo Saga is one of those charming platformers that probably compares most to Leo's Fortune. It's not at the same level of that classic but it's got lovely graphics and soundtrack, nice multipath levels to explore and light puzzle elements. It also has an upgrade system and boss battles (which I haven't gotten to yet in the first three levels).

It may end up being on the short side with 19 levels in all but it has survival and speed runs that can be unlocked for each. Also has a level editor, which I haven't messed with yet (this is one reason I probably should have waited for this on iOS as I would expect a bigger community -- there's not a single user made level on Android yet).

All in all a nicely polished platformer. Not too difficult so far but quite enjoyable.

okno

Barrier X is DOOOOOPE! Played it all day yesterday. Took me forever to realize the lanes turn red as a warning :p

sheaaaa

Anyone played Michael Brough's Corrypt on iOS? Started to get back into 868-HACK and was wondering how well Corrypt works on a touch device. Played a little on PC a while back but don't remember, well, anything from it.

In other Brough news (think More Badass is a fan):

That's his new roguelike that apparently looks like this:

Anyone played Michael Brough's Corrypt on iOS? Started to get back into 868-HACK and was wondering how well Corrypt works on a touch device. Played a little on PC a while back but don't remember, well, anything from it.

In other Brough news (think More Badass is a fan):

That's his new roguelike that apparently looks like this:
Oh, wow that's way sooner than I had expected. Had posted about the game in the March thread, I was thinking like a summer or fall release

Brough is a game design master. Corrypt, Zaga, 868-Hack are all fantastic. A card game roguelike/RPG hybrid (which is like my favorite mobile genre now) from Brough? So excited

And Corrypt controls great, just swipes as far as I recall

sheaaaa

Oh, wow that's way sooner than I had expected. Had posted about the game in the March thread, I was thinking like a summer or fall release

Brough is a game design master. Corrypt, Zaga, 868-Hack are all fantastic. A card game roguelike/RPG hybrid (which is like my favorite mobile genre now) from Brough? So excited

And Corrypt controls great, just swipes as far as I recall

Cheers. Have you tried Helix? One of his more action-y games for sure. A genuinely unique way to kill enemies, combined with his Brough sights and sounds. One of my favourite games on iPad that I think gets a bit overlooked for his more cerebral, roguelike stuff.

Top Bottom