• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming April 2016 | Fool's Gold

Space Marshalls just went free:
Space Marshals by Pixelbite
https://appsto.re/us/oAQUX.i
Free for the first time! A must play if you haven't picked this one yet

---

Wow, Her Story and Contradiction really kickstarted a whole new era of FMV.

This looks so good. Just look at that pedigree
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7y0wWlJVg8s

FMV post-apocalyptic horror/thriller adventure from the writers/designers of SOMA, The Witcher, Broken Sword. Coming this year
BUNKER_001-SCREENSHOT-1024x576.png
BUNKER_011-SCREENSHOT-1024x576.png

BUNKER_004-SCREENSHOT-1024x576.png
BUNKER_009-SCREENSHOT-1024x576.png

okno

I am playing way, way, way too many games at the same time right now, but I just wanted to chime in to also say that Implosion is absolutely worth the money. Gorgeous game with absolutely rock solid controls. If you like Devil May Cry and things like that, get it!

killercow

Then that sucks man. About 85-90% of the races/events cause it to crash.

I'm keeping the iPad at 8.2 or whatever it is.

YES!!! Restoring worked. It works again. My crack rock is back on the phone!

Oh, I was wrong then :D Good to know it worked at least, enjoy!

Matt Frost

Goo Saga is one of those charming platformers that probably compares most to Leo's Fortune. It's not at the same level of that classic but it's got lovely graphics and soundtrack, nice multipath levels to explore and light puzzle elements. It also has an upgrade system and boss battles (which I haven't gotten to yet in the first three levels).

It may end up being on the short side with 19 levels in all but it has survival and speed runs that can be unlocked for each. Also has a level editor, which I haven't messed with yet (this is one reason I probably should have waited for this on iOS as I would expect a bigger community -- there's not a single user made level on Android yet).

All in all a nicely polished platformer. Not too difficult so far but quite enjoyable.

I am ready for another Leo´s Fortune similar game, and the smashing sold me. Nice. Awaiting

Barrier X is DOOOOOPE! Played it all day yesterday. Took me forever to realize the lanes turn red as a warning :p

The trick to succeed in that game is to always steer left or right, and keep going in that direction, since it seems like the lanes are infinite. Nice game, but not my cup of tea.

omg_mjd

I am playing way, way, way too many games at the same time right now, but I just wanted to chime in to also say that Implosion is absolutely worth the money. Gorgeous game with absolutely rock solid controls. If you like Devil May Cry and things like that, get it!

Agreed. Implosion is legit. Dat framerate...gotta love it when devs go the extra mile.

asa

Hi people! Power Hover Dev here, thanks for all the nice comments about the game :)
Finally we got the fourth chapter out, phew! Has anyone played the new levels or unlocked the new character yet? how do you like them? :)

tumblr_o5ivz8wEk41ukj7blo1_500.jpg

To celebrate the release of the 1.5.0 update, I thought to share some promo-codes! Next five people to post & ask will get a code. I'll PM you with the code asp.
(hopefully this is okey, I'll remove the offer if this is counted as selfpromo)

PaulLFC

Hi people! Power Hover Dev here, thanks for all the nice comments about the game :)
Finally we got the fourth chapter out, phew! Has anyone played the new levels or unlocked the new character yet? how do you like them? :)

To celebrate the release of the 1.5.0 update, I thought to share some promo-codes! Next five people to post & ask get will get a code. I'll PM you with the code asp.
I'd love one if possible please!

OCD Guy

Asa I would appreciate a code if that's ok please?

Thanks

To celebrate the release of the 1.5.0 update, I thought to share some promo-codes! Next five people to post & ask get will get a code. I'll PM you with the code asp.

Hi asa, don't need a code but I do have a question.
On Apple TV, there seems to be a bug. When you die and it shows remaining lives, there's no way to get off the screen.

Is this a known issue? Makes the game unplayable at the moment.

To celebrate the release of the 1.5.0 update, I thought to share some promo-codes! Next five people to post & ask will get a code. I'll PM you with the code asp.

I'd love a code! Thank you very much!

asa

All Codes sent! Have fun everyone! :)

Hi asa, don't need a code but I do have a question.
On Apple TV, there seems to be a bug. When you die and it shows remaining lives, there's no way to get off the screen.

Is this a known issue? Makes the game unplayable at the moment.

Hmm, We quickly looked into this issue and it seems to be bit of a user interface stumble on our part, you need to press right/left side of the controller to continue, it might not be logical thing to try in the situation.
Please try that and if that doesn't work then you have found a legit bug. We will issue a fix in the next patch if so.

Hmm, We quickly looked into this issue and it seems to be bit of a user interface stumble on our part, you need to press right/left side of the controller to continue, it might not be logical thing to try in the situation.
Please try that and if that doesn't work then you have found a legit bug. We will issue a fix in the next patch if so.

Ok, thanks. will give that a try.

nampad

Do I still make the cut? Thanks for the generosity.

Space Marshalls just went free:
Space Marshals by Pixelbite
https://appsto.re/us/oAQUX.i

Thanks for the heads up.

PaulLFC

Very much enjoying Power Hover (thanks asa for the code!) - I've played the first four levels, but keep replaying to try and get all the batteries on each level. I seem to be awful at the grinding level so I need more practice on that one.

Great fun so far though.

PaulLFC

Geometry Wars 3 is on sale for £2.49/$2.99. That's another game off the wishlist.

Edit: Other sales

Thomas Was Alone £1.49/$1.99
Deep Dungeons of Doom £0.79/$0.99
Surgeon Simulator £1.49/$1.99

OCD Guy

Out of interest do any of you use controllers to play any games?

I'm kinda tempted to pick up a controller but not sure if it's worth it.

Purchased geometry wars 3 as its on sale and very impressed. A very smooth 60fps game.

OCD Guy

Is Geometry Wars 3 playable with the touch-screen or is it rather uncomfortable?

It actually feels quite good. The controls are very responsive.

I'm playing on an iPad Pro and am using my index fingers (rather than thumbs) as iPad is resting on Smart Cover and it plays very well.

It doesn't use a fixed dpad so wherever you press on the left side of the screen is where the virtual dpad is. Moving around feels very nice. Dare I say it feels like I can actually navigate much quicker than with an analogue stick. I'm still getting used to shooting though.

I wasn't a fan of touch controls in general but since my focus on iOS gaming and playing games like brothers a tale of two sons, implosion etc I'm actually beginning to get used to them. I think my hate for touch controls was stronger on early games that used a fixed dpad location. That doesn't feel right at all.

Going back to geometry wars, I'd say it's well worth picking up at it's current price point. It looks really good with a silky smooth framerate, and there will be lots to do to get your money's worth.

Hi Asa once again thanks for giving me the opportunity to play your game. I like it so far.

My only criticism at this stage would be the framerate. I'm not sure how easy it would be to rectify, or whether it's a limitation in some way, but I think a higher framerate would certainly enhance the game for me.

I've tested it on a 6s and iPad Pro and the framerate is slightly choppy in places, movement isn't quite smooth, and I feel given the game mechanics a higher framerate would help.

Out of interest can anything be done?

Pachimari

Oh this reminds me, that my mother is bringing her iPad 2 with her on our vacation tomorrow, so maybe I'll buy it for that one. Sounds like it could be a great play.

Any iPad-exclusive games or games that are better played on iPad than on iPhone?

Also just bought Prune.

OCD Guy

I find a lot of games are better on an iPad due to the bigger screen.

If you didn't know there is a 50% sale on certain "pay once and play" games, transistor is one of them on sale and if you've not played it before I'd say that is a very good game to play on an iPad, and again has a lot of content for the price.

Infact there's also brothers: a tale of two sons and implosion on sale and again they are good games that would definitely benefit from the bigger iPad screen.

Geometry Wars 3 is on sale for £2.49/$2.99. That's another game off the wishlist.

Edit: Other sales

Thomas Was Alone £1.49/$1.99
Deep Dungeons of Doom £0.79/$0.99
Surgeon Simulator £1.49/$1.99
All great games

I find a lot of games are better on an iPad due to the bigger screen.

If you didn't know there is a 50% sale on certain "pay once and play" games, transistor is one of them on sale and if you've not played it before I'd say that is a very good game to play on an iPad, and again has a lot of content for the price.

Infact there's also brothers: a tale of two sons and implosion on sale and again they are good games that would definitely benefit from the bigger iPad screen.
Definitely. Once I got an iPad Mini, I can't go back to playing most games on my iPhone, aside from the one-handed games like Card Crawl, Hoplite, 80 Days

OCD Guy

Definitely. Once I got an iPad Mini, I can't go back to playing most games on my iPhone, aside from the one-handed games like Card Crawl, Hoplite, 80 Days

Out of curiosity do you or have you used a game pad to play iOS games? If not, why haven't you?

As you come across as someone who seems to play a lot of iOS games I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Also if anyone is into edm music there is a paid game that has now gone free. It's a rhythmic based tapping game https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/party-gods/id1035124525?mt=8 worth trying it out.

Out of interest do any of you use controllers to play any games?

I'm kinda tempted to pick up a controller but not sure if it's worth it.

If the options is there, i use a controller yes. Controller support has come a long way over the last couple of years.

If something would work better with a controller (i.e. Lost Socks), i'll just wait until it supports it.

awp69

Out of curiosity do you or have you used a game pad to play iOS games? If not, why haven't you?

As you come across as someone who seems to play a lot of iOS games I'd be interested in your thoughts.

Also if anyone is into edm music there is a paid game that has now gone free. It's a rhythmic based tapping game https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/party-gods/id1035124525?mt=8 worth trying it out.

I play a ton of games on iOS and still have refused to get a gamepad. Think I'm just stubborn in that I want my mobile games to be just that -- mobile.

Also probably doesn't help that I do console gaming and save most of my mobile playing in bed, when my wife is watching something I'm not interested in, on the go or, of course, the toilet :).

OCD Guy

If the options is there, i use a controller yes. Controller support has come a long way over the last couple of years.

If something would work better with a controller (i.e. Lost Socks), i'll just wait until it supports it.

What one do you use?

I've got a steelseries nimbus in my Apple Store basket so I think I'll just go for it. If I really don't like I can always return it.

No, never used a gamepad on my devices. Just never felt a need. Most games control just fine with touch and I think the best mobile games are partially defined by playing best with touch rather than needing an accessory to fully enjoy.

The ones that don't and would probably play better with a gamepad like first person shooters don't have many games on the mobile in the first place, and I'll just enjoy those genres on PC/consoles

From Touch Arcade (grain of salt as always):

I've been spending my morning trying to figure out what's going on with the App Store. I've heard a bunch of different rumors from a bunch of different connected people about something big happening in these next two weeks, but have been totally unsuccessful in connecting any more than two dots. Is there a huge surprise game coming out this week? Is there some kind of App Store reorganizing taking place? All I know is more than a few developers were asked to reschedule their game launch away from this week. Which seems... odd, but it might explain why this week's release list is a little more scant than normal. I'm hoping these various rumblings mean we're going to see something different resulting from the App Store leadership shakeup from late last year, but it could just mean another massive game is coming that's getting the Clash Royale [Free] mega-feature treatment? Or it could mean nothing! That's the greatest part about Apple rumors!

I can't see anything too crazy... why not wait till WWDC if thats the case. Still interesting.

http://toucharcade.com/2016/04/13/new-iphone-games-on-our-forums/

killercow

Just out of curiousity, where did you see that on TA? Can't seem to find it. Was it in a forum post?

On the front page, latest roundup.

I'm not sure anything's happening as some great games will be out tomorrow (Warbits for example) but we'll see.

Pachimari

Got 196 games currently installed on my phone. Would like 4 more but don't know which ones. Thinking of Thomas Was Alone.

[edit] Holy shit, the start to Love You To Bits is heartbreaking. Right in those feels!

Top Bottom