• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming May 2016 | April jests bring Titan Quests

Four great puzzlers I learned about today:

What's Inside The Box? (from the dev of gems like Furiosity and sugar, sugar)
Free, https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/whats-inside-the-box/id1106494704?mt=8
screen322x572.jpeg
screen322x572.jpeg

RYB (listed as one of the best games of PAX 2016 by Game Informer)
$0.99, https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/ryb./id1052611304?mt=8

Puzzlepops!
$1.99, https://itunes.apple.com/app/puzzlepops!/id1084600612

Unmatch
$2.99, https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/unmatch/id1061419426

Guys, RYB is really really good. If you liked Hexcells, you'll like this too. It's an abstract Minesweeper-style game where all the clues are told through symbols, shapes, and colors, which allows for unusual level designs that Hexcells and similar games never could have

awp69

Unravel doesn't reinvent the wheel or really do anything new, but it's gorgeous, charming, and just complex enough to be a fun challenge without being too hard

I actually have Unravel and actually disagree with this. The whole mechanic of using yarn to find solutions makes it much different than other platformers. It also does get challenging at times. I actually haven't yet finished it but would definitely recommend it to others.

Emarv

Guys, RYB is really really good. If you liked Hexcells, you'll like this too. It's an abstract Minesweeper-style game where all the clues are told through symbols, shapes, and colors, which allows for unusual level designs that Hexcells and similar games never could have

This sounds great and those screenshots look right up my alley. good looking out

Matt Frost

I actually have Unravel and actually disagree with this. The whole mechanic of using yarn to find solutions makes it much different than other platformers. It also does get challenging at times. I actually haven't yet finished it but would definitely recommend it to others.

Ok, convinced. Going to buy it tomorrow (already in bed). That and Bloodborne should keep me busy for a while, even more so with Leap Day, Power Hover and Egz

ReaperXL7

Anyone playing the Ninja Turtles Legends games that released today? It's pretty good so far (though it is another gacha heroes games) I'm not quite as familiar with some of the newer turtles characters as the majority of my experience is from the original cartoons/games but I'm finding this pretty enjoyable.

tmnt-640.jpg

Characters level from combat, you get free card packs every few hours or you can purchase them (you can also get cards packs from codes that come with physical toys apparently).I was going to make a thread for it but I wanted to see if there is any interest before I do so since I misjudged the potential interest for the Skylanders game, and I'm still trying to find a link for the android version.

PittaGAF

Big update on next Galactic Keep module on TA forums!!!

A huge new module will see the light in few months (if it gets too big, not impossibile considering the dev :p) it will be cut in 2 pieces so we are almost assured to play new Galactic Keep galore after the summer I guess.

Also, they did a game-jam little project, lightly GK related, that will be released soon.

Can't really wait to be immersed in deep space anomalies once again.

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
For those who have gotten into Clash Royale..... One of the "official" neogaf clans has a few open spots. It is a great clan with many active members. Donations are filled quickly. Clan is #20Y9PQ and is just called "Neogaf". If you want to join just post here and mention your neogaf name when requesting to join. I'm an elder there so I will get you approved pretty quick.

okno

For those who have gotten into Clash Royale..... One of the "official" neogaf clans has a few open spots. It is a great clan with many active members. Donations are filled quickly. Clan is #20Y9PQ and is just called "Neogaf". If you want to join just post here and mention your neogaf name when requesting to join. I'm an elder there so I will get you approved pretty quick.

Put in my request :) Same name as here, Okno. I was already a part of the clan before and accidentally got myself kicked out, because I was too busy with work to play :p

awp69

Big update on next Galactic Keep module on TA forums!!!

A huge new module will see the light in few months (if it gets too big, not impossibile considering the dev :p) it will be cut in 2 pieces so we are almost assured to play new Galactic Keep galore after the summer I guess.

Also, they did a game-jam little project, lightly GK related, that will be released soon.

Can't really wait to be immersed in deep space anomalies once again.

Cool! And on that note, Galactic Keep is on sale for $2.99 for anyone who doesn't have it.

awp69

How is Spartan Strike? It is on sale for 99 cents.

I personally think it's excellent. Lengthy, challenging levels with varied objectives and, of course, the Halo theme never hurts.

Some thought the controls were too sensitive. I didn't but Microsoft released a patch for it anyway.

A steal for $.99 IMO.

Ok I was contemplating getting romancing Saga 2 but decided to buy Dragon Quest 1,2,3,5,6. I already had 4 and these things rarely go on sale. All of them are downloaded into a folder next to my FF Folder now. But I'll probably play em on iPhone rather than iPad thanks to the 1 handed interface.

ParityBit

I personally think it's excellent. Lengthy, challenging levels with varied objectives and, of course, the Halo theme never hurts.

Some thought the controls were too sensitive. I didn't but Microsoft released a patch for it anyway.

A steal for $.99 IMO.

Thanks, I am going to pick it up for that price!

Anyone have any recommendations for good games for kids? Mine are 9 and 6, and they both play minecraft, and the oldest plays Supertribes. I prefer to pay for a game than have IAP my kids are gonna drive me nuts asking for.

Anyone have any recommendations for good games for kids? Mine are 9 and 6, and they both play minecraft, and the oldest plays Supertribes. I prefer to pay for a game than have IAP my kids are gonna drive me nuts asking for.
Any particular genres? Counting Kingdom and Twelve A Dozen are two good math related games (one's a tower defense puzzler, the other a puzzle platformer)
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/the-counting-kingdom/id925814105?mt=8
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/twelve-a-dozen/id907047432?mt=8

Matt Frost

I recommend this, my coworker has a daughter and she likes these games the most:

BADLAND 1 and 2
Cattch
Power Hover
Egz

Voez is truly fun as hell, but it's unfortunately a fantastic example of just how fucking frustrating mobile gaming can be. The app is free, but it costs a significant amount of money to unlock songs past the initial 8. Hey, whatever, I love rhythm games and this is a great one so I'd gladly drop a lot of money (by mobile standards) into it, but I honestly can't tell if I'm getting ripped off here.

So the Unlock All Songs button costs 40 "keys." To get this, you can buy 25 keys for $20, 12 keys for $10, and 6 keys for $5.

However, the Play menu lists 32 locked songs, and as far as I can tell, it only costs one key to unlock each. So why the hell is unlock all 40 keys? Is it just a pure ripoff? Do the songs actually start to progressively cost more keys each time and the game just doesn't tell you?

Good recommendation, I've been having a lot of fun with that game. Although the puzzles are starting to turn very brain melty now I am (I assume) nearing its end

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Voez is truly fun as hell, but it's unfortunately a fantastic example of just how fucking frustrating mobile gaming can be. The app is free, but it costs a significant amount of money to unlock songs past the initial 8. Hey, whatever, I love rhythm games and this is a great one so I'd gladly drop a lot of money (by mobile standards) into it, but I honestly can't tell if I'm getting ripped off here.

So the Unlock All Songs button costs 40 "keys." To get this, you can buy 25 keys for $20, 12 keys for $10, and 6 keys for $5.

However, the Play menu lists 32 locked songs, and as far as I can tell, it only costs one key to unlock each. So why the hell is unlock all 40 keys? Is it just a pure ripoff? Do the songs actually start to progressively cost more keys each time and the game just doesn't tell you?

Yeah, it's confusing. The GAME is fun, but the system is annoying. Apparently you can't play in offline mode, either.

Hey, you guys like Hoplite? And you like Card Crawl? What if the devs of Card Crawl made a roguelike inspired by Hoplite?

Oh wait, they are

Enyo
enyo.gif

Currently in beta-testing

Anyone playing the Ninja Turtles Legends games that released today? It's pretty good so far (though it is another gacha heroes games) I'm not quite as familiar with some of the newer turtles characters as the majority of my experience is from the original cartoons/games but I'm finding this pretty enjoyable.

tmnt-640.jpg

Characters level from combat, you get free card packs every few hours or you can purchase them (you can also get cards packs from codes that come with physical toys apparently).I was going to make a thread for it but I wanted to see if there is any interest before I do so since I misjudged the potential interest for the Skylanders game, and I'm still trying to find a link for the android version.

downloading this now.

awp69

Decided to bite on Warp Shift. Very well done puzzler with beautiful animation. Starts with what seems like a simple premise of moving/flipping boxes around to help a girl find the portal to the next one on her way to escape a strange hole she fell into. But the puzzles ramp up and get pretty challenging.

Extremely polished and well worth a buy the if it looks like something you'd enjoy.

So this week we got:

-Lost Frontier
-Sky Force Reloaded
-Dig Deep
-Star Nomad 2
-Nonstop Knight

Looking like a great week.
And looking at the schedule, More Badass was right, June is going to blow May out of the water.

Any more title suggestions. Some I was thinking of:

iOS Gaming June 2016 | Summer reloaded
iOS Gaming June 2016 | Be still my growing backlog, summer is here

So this week we got:

-Lost Frontier
-Sky Force Reloaded
In for those two. Sky Force is still one of my favorite shooters on mobile. and the only games besides Shadow Fight 2 that I can tolerate timers because the gameplay is so good. And Mike Mobile hasn't had a dud yet

Ambitious

Tormentum looks amazing. Just finished the demo. Pretty much the opposite of challenging, but the art style sold me on it.

By the way, are there any good logic-based whodunnit/murder mystery games on iOS? Something like Clue/Cluedo, maybe? I wouldn't mind something with a story either.

killercow

Tormentum looks amazing. Just finished the demo. Pretty much the opposite of challenging, but the art style sold me on it.

By the way, are there any good logic-based whodunnit/murder mystery games on iOS? Something like Clue/Cluedo, maybe? I wouldn't mind something with a story either.

I would recommend Blue Toad Mystery Files, Detective Grimoire, Her Story and The Trace.

I would recommend Blue Toad Mystery Files, Detective Grimoire, Her Story and The Trace.
Beat me to it. I'd say Her Story is the best out of all of them (although I'd say recommend playing on PC for the full atmosphere)

It's the simplest,so much so that some might not even consider it a game, but secretly, it's probably the game that makes you feel the most like a detective. No handholding, no digital notes and charts reminding you about clues or what was a lie, no extraneous aspects. It's just you, your mind, and the video clips. It's up to you to figure out what happened, and think of keywords, and dissect the information in the videos to piece together.

Ambitious

Beat me to it. I'd say Her Story is the best out of all of them (although I'd say recommend playing on PC for the full atmosphere)

It's the simplest,so much so that some might not even consider it a game, but secretly, it's probably the game that makes you feel the most like a detective. No handholding, no digital notes and charts reminding you about clues or what was a lie, no extraneous aspects. It's just you, your mind, and the video clips. It's up to you to figure out what happened, and think of keywords, and dissect the information in the videos to piece together.

Yeah, Her Story is incredible. Played it on my iPad a few months ago.
Thanks, I'll check out the other games.

Top Bottom