• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming May 2016 | April jests bring Titan Quests

8sanders

Murderer's Gut Feeling™
Dammit. Can't buy Imbroglio. Had my debit card get used fraudulently and had to cancel it. Still waiting on a new one . Can't even update my games without a valid card on file.....

Anyway.... I love Michael Brough games. They may not be the flashiest, but they are fun and somewhat unique. Dude is a legend in the making(hopefully). Anything he puts out is instabuy for me.

Ketch

any videos for imbroglio? I could be down with the art style, but how are the animations? are their animations? even if they're simple i could be down with that too.

awp69

Got a refund for Never Gone. Game had no balance and seemed completely designed to push IAPs. Shaun Musgrave's review over on TA was pretty spot on.

Think I will be using that refund to pick up Imbroglio and a dev more deserving of my money.

Dreavus

Not sure if this is the place to ask, but is there anything else out there similar to Downwell? Playing mostly on a phone.

I was waaay into that game for a while and it was perfect for my commutes (offline, short playthroughs, pretty tough to get good at). I still haven't beaten it despite getting to the end encounter a few times, but I was wondering if there's anything else in a similar vein.

Picked up Warbits recently but it's a completely different genre. It's pretty good so far!

Not sure if this is the place to ask, but is there anything else out there similar to Downwell? Playing mostly on a phone.
Similar in what way? Looking for an action roguelike, a downward shooter/platformer, or a shooter?

First group has games like Wayward Souls, Quadropus Rampage, and some others

Second really only has one other downward platfomer: Freedom Fall

And the third has too many good dual stick shooters and shmups to list

RustyO

Tangentially related to mobile, the awesome Motorsport Manager is getting a gorgeous, rebuilt-from-the-ground-up version for PC

http://youtu.be/mUsRRIzY9HU
18motorsportmanager.jpg

I've got basically zero interest, not my thing, but that does look pretty sweet indeed, would be all over that if it was my thing.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
TQ ratings on the App Store are infuriating. I gave it a 4 because it's good but needs some final polish to fix stuttering and such. So many 5 star ratings echo my sentiments but still rate the game as perfect. Hmph

colinp

Banned

I was waaay into that game for a while and it was perfect for my commutes (offline, short playthroughs, pretty tough to get good at). I still haven't beaten it despite getting to the end encounter a few times, but I was wondering if there's anything else in a similar vein.

Picked up Warbits recently but it's a completely different genre. It's pretty good so far!

Give Leap Day a try. Every day there's a new level generated and they can be quite tricky, but are really perfect for quick tries. It's free and damn fun.

SteveWD40

TQ ratings on the App Store are infuriating. I gave it a 4 because it's good but needs some final polish to fix stuttering and such. So many 5 star ratings echo my sentiments but still rate the game as perfect. Hmph

Even on the Air 2 it can feel stuttery, movement feels a little off at times.

I anticipate a fix however, this isn't a fire and forget dev.

sheaaaa

any videos for imbroglio? I could be down with the art style, but how are the animations? are their animations? even if they're simple i could be down with that too.

Don't expect much visually at all; it's a very ugly game, and I'm a huge, huge Michael Brough fan.

I haven't experienced the constant crashes that other users have had with Titan Quest (6+ user here) but the frame rate drops are definitely apparent from time to time. Really hope Dotemu can get that fixed soon.

On the topic of imbroglio, I just unlocked the board editing option and I have to say that the game really opens up immensely once you hit that point. Editing where the tiles are while taking into account the direction certain creatures come from and each tile's special effect adds quite a bit more strategy and depth to the gameplay (even though there was already a ton of that to start with). Pretty sure this game is going to stay on my phone for a long time.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
So after more time with TQ, I'm a bit disappointed. It's definitely got some stutter issues, and it heats up my phone. It also drinks battery. I am unsure how to proceed on this. On one hand, I want to keep playing and support this game. On the other, it's not something I want to recommend to anyone in its current state.

So is Never Gone as bad as the review makes it sound? I was fascinated by it after reading a little and seeing pictures, but things sound like a F2P game masked by a premium up front purchase. I don't mind grindy games, but people make it sound like you eventually HAVE to pay to move forward.

awp69

So after more time with TQ, I'm a bit disappointed. It's definitely got some stutter issues, and it heats up my phone. It also drinks battery. I am unsure how to proceed on this. On one hand, I want to keep playing and support this game. On the other, it's not something I want to recommend to anyone in its current state.

So is Never Gone as bad as the review makes it sound? I was fascinated by it after reading a little and seeing pictures, but things sound like a F2P game masked by a premium up front purchase. I don't mind grindy games, but people make it sound like you eventually HAVE to pay to move forward.

I personally found Never Gone way too grindy and seemingly driven to try to get you to buy IAPs. I actually got a refund for it. I do feel like you get to a point where it is next to impossible (at least for me) to continue.

Thought Shaun Musgrave's review was spot on.

-----

On the other hand, I thought his review of TQ was too generous. But maybe he didn't have the virtual stick responsiveness issues that I've had. I can deal with some framerate issues but unresponsive controls I cannot.

awp69

Been reading the TA thread on Titan Quest and sounds like there's been a number of people who lost their game saves. I think I'm going to set it aside until that and, hopefully, the control responsiveness and framerate are patched.

Also, for anyone who didn't have it Lume, the (short) predecessor to Lumino City is currently free.

Edit: State of Play's puzzler Kami is also free. Apparently both to celebrate the launch of Inks.

Rush Rally 2 is astonishingly good. Best racer I've played on iOS... ever! Truly amazing.

https://appsto.re/gb/at6R5.i
£2.99 (worth ten times that)

Rush Rally 2
Mekorama
Verreciel

What a time to be alive, when lonely solo developers can crank out games of this calibre. Brilliant.

Mario

Sidhe / PikPok
Also, I am severely hooked on War Tortoise.

I'm interested to hear what you like about it?

I picked it up at launch because it was an interesting new spin on tower defense and clickers, but it seems to lack a bit of heart and flavor in that they didn't really bring the fact it is animals fighting each other to the fore. Not to mention the "story" such that it is is only seen in the trailer. Sense of progression is also a little lacking and the UI is a bit clunky too.

It's decently executed and a great new spin on things but seems like a missed opportunity on several fronts.

The new update after one play seems to improve things a little at least, so they could address my issues over time.

Oynox

Rush Rally 2 is astonishingly good. Best racer I've played on iOS... ever! Truly amazing.

https://appsto.re/gb/at6R5.i
£2.99 (worth ten times that)

The first game was already truly amazing for a one person mobile game. A better Rally game than most console versions.

Cannot wait until I finally get my hands on my brothers 5S. It is a farce to use an old Android device and miss on all those gems :(

I really need to catch up with all games since February/March! Already found Train Conductor World and Pktball very, very entertaining when I tested them on my Mum's iPad.

Mekorama is ADORABLE and totally worth it.
Worth how much to you? I paid £2.99

I was gonna ask about Rush Rally 2. Good stuff then?
Yes, it's by far the best racing game on iOS. for me it's up there with RalliSport Challenge as one of the greatest rally games.

Obviously the recent, console-only Dirt Rally beats it graphically but for fun I think RR2 actually comes out on top.

Oynox

Are there actually any fair not pay to win building games? Or even premium ones? Something like the Settlers or Sim City?

Top Bottom