• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming May 2016 | April jests bring Titan Quests

Question for those who use a Plus. When I tried the 6 Plus, it had a lot of places where performance was noticeably worse than 6 in basic system animations and opening folders. I haven't spent much time with a 6s and 6s Plus but is the new Plus better at normal OS tasks and animations?

Thinking about going Plus for the next phone for Hearthstone and battery life.

colinp

Banned
Question for those who use a Plus. When I tried the 6 Plus, it had a lot of places where performance was noticeably worse than 6 in basic system animations and opening folders. I haven't spent much time with a 6s and 6s Plus but is the new Plus better at normal OS tasks and animations?

I've got a 6S+ and I was surprised at how choppy basic system stuff could be when I first upgraded from my 5S. I'm not sure how it compares against the original 6+ though and I've completely gotten used to it and it doesn't bother me in the least now.

I like the "art" style and the music of Verreciel so far, but it's crashing too much on my iPhone 6S+ for me to give any real impressions. I haven't been able to get past Velen because it keeps crashing when I go to the station.
Bug has been fixed, version 1.1, I imagine the dev is submitting that soon.

I've got a 6S+ and I was surprised at how choppy basic system stuff could be when I first upgraded from my 5S. I'm not sure how it compares against the original 6+ though and I've completely gotten used to it and it doesn't bother me in the least now.

Thanks.

I know one thing though for sure. Pulling down spotlight lags on everything I tried. Even the iPad Pro and 6s.

Xenoflare

I played around with the devices at the apple store and with my own experiences only iPhone 6s/SE can truly run iOS 9 without lag.

My less technologically involved friend who owned both 6 and 6 plus is surprised to learn about the performance lag on the plus model since he thought the plus model should be the one with better performance

This is what you get for putting the same chip but with different resolutions

Vector 2 is soft launched and it feels like an absolute downgrade compared to the first. Just a standard jump over this, slide under this runner with cool animations

The first had a thrilling sense of urgency due to being chased, and required timing and a bit of precision to collect all the pick-ups. The levels were multi-tiered and better designed and had big epic jumps and close calls

Today's the day at long last. What do you think Titan Quest will be priced at? Personally, I expect as high as $9.99, but I'm thinking it might be $3.99 or $4.99. Most of DotEmu's ports are in that range

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Today's the day at long last. What do you think Titan Quest will be priced at? Personally, I expect as high as $9.99, but I'm thinking it might be $3.99 or $4.99. Most of DotEmu's ports are in that range

$4.99 makes sense. I'll pay up to $9.99, and they could charge it because there are literally no games like it on the store anymore.

I played around with the devices at the apple store and with my own experiences only iPhone 6s/SE can truly run iOS 9 without lag.

My less technologically involved friend who owned both 6 and 6 plus is surprised to learn about the performance lag on the plus model since he thought the plus model should be the one with better performance

This is what you get for putting the same chip but with different resolutions

Yea they put in better camera tech so why not clock higher or something.

This year I expect an iPhone Air and iPhone Pro or something to differentiate.

I'd say 4.99 but would pay up to 9.99.

PittaGAF

Should play really well. There's no reason why a game so old would run badly on such a powerful device.

I think heringer meant the real estate, not the power of the device.

BTW lot of nice things coming out but I'm still too deep in Pathfinder and all the talk about the FFG Road to Legend app (which is beyond awesome) and the new GW Silver Tower made me load, AGAIN, Warhammer Quest and start another hardcore campaign.
There went almost all my night.

Still gorgeous and fantastic.
So awesome I dream someday Rodeo will be back and publish Warhammer Quest 2 with Deathwatch engine and possibly TONS of tiles/monsters and interactions points.
Possibly still in the Old World...not really a fan of Silver Tower look.

killercow

I think heringer meant the real estate, not the power of the device.

BTW lot of nice things coming out but I'm still too deep in Pathfinder and all the talk about the FFG Road to Legend app (which is beyond awesome) and the new GW Silver Tower made me load, AGAIN, Warhammer Quest and start another hardcore campaign.
There went almost all my night.

Still gorgeous and fantastic.
So awesome I dream someday Rodeo will be back and publish Warhammer Quest 2 with Deathwatch engine and possibly TONS of tiles/monsters and interactions points.
Possibly still in the Old World...not really a fan of Silver Tower look.

Of course, silly me. That's tougher yes! I'm sure DotEmu has adjusted the UI for those screens.

In other news, Lifeline: Whiteout: https://itunes.apple.com/nz/app/id1094429166 (Soft launched)

Boney

Banned
Hey guys, was wondering if controller clips for DS3 or the Wii U pro controllers are nice alternatives to MFi controllers since they're a lot cheaper. Wondering if the clips have a nice grasp and that I shouldn't be too worried for using one. How much does it eat up the battery for the phone and the controller as well?

I probably would be happier with the Wii U pad because I'm not a fan of the dual shock d-pad but I doubt those are very common. I have an iPhone 6 btw.

If cheap MFi controllers are just as good I wouldn't mind looking into them. Priority is buttons - safe grasp - comfortable. Not interested in portability really.

Tangentially related to mobile, the awesome Motorsport Manager is getting a gorgeous, rebuilt-from-the-ground-up version for PC

http://youtu.be/mUsRRIzY9HU
18motorsportmanager.jpg

sheaaaa

Any reason I should be excited about Titan Quest on mobile if I've got the Steam version and intend to get around to it someday?

Bought Imbroglio instantly, hope that's as good as 868-HACK.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Any reason I should be excited about Titan Quest on mobile if I've got the Steam version and intend to get around to it someday?

Bought Imbroglio instantly, hope that's as good as 868-HACK.

It's the one of the only Diablo-like ARPGs on the store that isn't F2P garbage.

heringer

Disappointed with Titan Quest's performance on my iPhone 6. Crappy frame rate and some weird stuttering. Kind of unacceptable for a 10 years old game. Titan Quest was never a very well optimized game in the first place, but still.

Ok, imbroglio is kinda addictive. Took a few minutes to get what was going on but once I got into the swing of things it became a very tactical and fun experience. Buy it guys!

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Sounds like a no to my question then, thanks!

Yeah, if you're content playing it on PC and don't need a Diablo-like on your phone, it's nothing more than an impressive release for phones.

Speaking of which, I'm enjoying the game a ton. But I agree that even my 6S+ is experiencing a few little hiccups here and there. I suspect it's poorly optimized or something?

I'll admit that Titan Quest scratches a certain itch, but it's clunky on my iPad mini 4 and only marginally better on my 6S+. Also, there's been an annoyingly high number of times when the game doesn't respond to me pushing the button right away and then it "catches up" after a second press. And for Titan's sake, it's "tapping", two Ps.

awp69

I'll admit that Titan Quest scratches a certain itch, but it's clunky on my iPad mini 4 and only marginally better on my 6S+. Also, there's been an annoyingly high number of times when the game doesn't respond to me pushing the button right away and then it "catches up" after a second press. And for Titan's sake, it's "tapping", two Ps.

Yeah, I'm liking it but the joystick needs some work. I don't think it's lagging for me as much as it sometimes is not responding at all for a second or two, which can be life or death. Hope they can patch that up.

sheaaaa

Thoughts on Imbroglio - I'm liking it and it's obvious that there's layers and layers of strategic depth. You attack using the weapons on the tile you're standing on, and the weapon levels up as you kill more enemies with it, giving it more attack power, a new perk or something else. And since you can edit the tiles and choose from a whole range of weapons, there's an appeal in tweaking your "deck" and seeing what permutation works for you.

The one concern I have is a lack of options in what you can actually do. In 868-HACK, once you'd siphoned up a few programs, you had plenty of ways to deal with threats. Here, not so much - you seem to have only your attack, your character's special skill and the effect of any perks the weapon you're using has. This has led to this situation plenty of times - being one tile away from an enemy, wanting to kill it but having no way of getting close enough without taking a hit. You regain health very easily but it just feels a bit odd that there seemingly is no way of avoiding this (in 868-HACK, you could WAIT or PUSH, among many other options).

How have they got Titans Quest to actually work on the touch screen? They made your finger emulate a mouse click or gone down the route of making it work with a virtual joystick?

killercow

How have they got Titans Quest to actually work on the touch screen? They made your finger emulate a mouse click or gone down the route of making it work with a virtual joystick?

It works with a virtual joystick, a skill wheel and some virtual buttons. You can tap the ground to gather loot though.

awp69

It works with a virtual joystick, a skill wheel and some virtual buttons. You can tap the ground to gather loot though.

Be forewarned though, I have been finding the virtual joystick to be temperamental and not always as responsive as I'd like.

Thoughts on Imbroglio - I'm liking it and it's obvious that there's layers and layers of strategic depth. You attack using the weapons on the tile you're standing on, and the weapon levels up as you kill more enemies with it, giving it more attack power, a new perk or something else. And since you can edit the tiles and choose from a whole range of weapons, there's an appeal in tweaking your "deck" and seeing what permutation works for you.

The one concern I have is a lack of options in what you can actually do. In 868-HACK, once you'd siphoned up a few programs, you had plenty of ways to deal with threats. Here, not so much - you seem to have only your attack, your character's special skill and the effect of any perks the weapon you're using has. This has led to this situation plenty of times - being one tile away from an enemy, wanting to kill it but having no way of getting close enough without taking a hit. You regain health very easily but it just feels a bit odd that there seemingly is no way of avoiding this (in 868-HACK, you could WAIT or PUSH, among many other options).
Taking a hit and choosing when to refill your health is part of the strategy, since you get some health and mana every gem you collect. Do you go for the gem now or use the current layout to your advantage? And since you know how much damage any enemy will inflict, you have to pick your battles and when to go for the gem. Think of it less as health and more of a resource you have to manage.

Be forewarned though, I have been finding the virtual joystick to be temperamental and not always as responsive as I'd like.
Unfortunately I agree. The v sticks are not as responsive as they could be

sheaaaa

Taking a hit and choosing when to refill your health is part of the strategy, since you get some health and mana every gem you collect. Do you go for the gem now or use the current layout to your advantage? And since you know how much damage any enemy will inflict, you have to pick your battles and when to go for the gem. Think of it less as health and more of a resource you have to manage.

Yeah it's just a mental hurdle I had to overcome. I'm finding the limitations set on each character very interesting, like the one with no blue weapons which meant the one-mana fodder enemies with four health now become super dangerous.

heringer

Really tempted to ask for a refund on Titan Quest. How frequently does dotemu update their games?

Poor performance and unresponsive controls. I'm comfortable in calling a weak port. Not terrible, not good enough. The UI is well done, though.

killercow

Really tempted to ask for a refund on Titan Quest. How frequently does dotemu update their games?

Poor performance and unresponsive controls. I'm comfortable in calling a weak port. Not terrible, not good enough. The UI is well done, though.

Such a shame as the game is so good. I've plenty of great memories playing through it back in the days. And given how old the game is, it should really run without framerate issues on most devices.

Hopefully, DotEmu will fix this mess quickly.

Yes, definitely a shame. And DotEmu's ports had been really good up till now

Top Bottom