• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

IOSU Hack (homebrew and more) planned to be released for Wii U on Dec. 24th

aravuus

Would this make cheating possible? Might even replay Xenoblade X some day if I can fuck around with cheats.

TunaLover

I think it needs to be clarified that there IS already a working exploit up to 5.3.2 fw, BUT there's NO access to IOSU, it seems Hykem defeat the last security barrier to open the system, USB access, Wii U format decription, NAND writte/read (?).

Would this make cheating possible? Might even replay Xenoblade X some day if I can fuck around with cheats.
It's already possible cheat on Wii U games, but only on 5.3.2, I don't think it's possible online though. Cheats work by poking ram with on-the-fly fttp server (they are not permanent).

Vena

Been possible for ages. Splatoon community has been messing with numbers and such for a long time, but its banned if taken online.

aravuus

It's already possible if you're still on 5.3.2.

Sorry, I meant with the newest firmware lol. Updated the console a couple of weeks back when I got it, so I assume it's on 5.5.0., which the exploit seems to support.

Since as far as I know, downgrading isn't possible

Subscribing to this thread. Hoping for some good news in the future. That said, I don't even know which firmware I'm on, probably past 5.5 :-/

Joey Ravn

Banned
Subscribing to this thread. Hoping for some good news in the future. That said, I don't even know which firmware I'm on, probably past 5.5 :-/

5.5.0 is the latest ;)

Time to put back in the boob slider in Xenoblade X.

image.php

:p

I think it needs to be clarified that there IS already a working exploit up to 5.2 fw, BUT there's NO access to IOSU, it seems Hykem defeat the last security barrier to open the system, USB access, Wii U format decription, NAND writte/read (?).

Ooh. If I remember rightly, this is the thing that let you clone the internal memory of a wii to another, wasn't it? Would be nice if this lets me copy my few digital games to both my wii us, at the cost of keeping one wii u perma offline.

edit: ooh, if this could potentially let me use a single hard drive on two wii us and hence share saves, that'd be perfect for me...

Falcs

Banned
It's already possible cheat on Wii U games, but only on 5.3.2, I don't think it's possible online though. Cheats work by poking ram with on-the-fly fttp server (they are not permanent).

It's already possible if you're still on 5.3.2.

Been possible for ages. Splatoon community has been messing with numbers and such for a long time, but its banned if taken online.

Can somebody link me to this info please? I can't find it.

Berordn

All I want is access to a ton of emulators all playable on the gamepad. It would be glorious.

If they can unlock Gamepad button controls in Wii mode there's already a ton available too. Will be interesting to see if that feature is actually built into the OS or just the rereleased images.

Project M2 I hope. That's the only thing I can really see this being good for, IMO. As discussed in other threads, phones and tablets do a better job of emulation than any of the consoles, if jailbroken, ever will, and evolve much faster over time as well.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Releasing anything allowing the Wii U to be jailbroken just seems like kicking Nintendo while they're down.

Every major console has been hacked so far, either when they were "down" or at the peak of their popularity: GBA, DS, PSP, 3DS, Vita, 360, PS3... even the PS4 has been cracked recently. Drawing the line of immorality at the Wii U is completely arbitrary. In fact, you could say that breaking open the Wii U at the end of its lifecycle is something good for Nintendo. They can sell more hardware and, potentially, more software if people feel more enticed to buy the console.

But, hey: your opinion. No harm in maintaining it. Just don't shit all over something that can be used for many other things apart from piracy.

samn

I'm glad the option will be there for me in a few years when I no longer play online and want to mess around with my console

wasn't the situation same with PS3 Jailbroken time?
PS3 was still selling very well and piracy for the thing never caught on big with it. Same thing with the 360. If your console is popular enough the mass market will cover any lost sales from piracy. That's why it never really affected those two consoles. For the Wii U though, I imagine a good portion of it's active users would definitely use an easy piracy solution.

PS3 was still selling very well and piracy for the thing never caught on big with it. Same thing with the 360. If your console is popular enough the mass market will cover any lost sales from piracy. That's why it never really affected those two consoles. For the Wii U though, I imagine a good portion of it's active users would definitely use an easy piracy solution.

PS3 and 360 suffer from online cheats because of these hacks, which is a problem for everyone. You can say goodbye to Splatoon after this thing is out.

Nothing positive ever comes out of these hacks, it's just people getting excited to pirate some games and trolls excited to ruin everyone's online games. Fuck these hackers.

I disagree. PSP and DS suffered HUGE due to piracy. Their software - console sales ratio is horrible.

That said I am super excited. I already have most of my Wii and GameCube collection ripped to a single HDD. Hopefully I can add Wiiu games to that as well and it will be such a great little system. Throw in Gamepad support in Vwii ( or get Vwii to run under Wiiu mode) and I'll be a very happy man :)

Promising a Christmas miracle? Also is there a source for them actually releasing anything on Dec 24th or is that date out of thin air?

You could take the quoted statement many ways like them just releasing a shaky cam video.

Project M2 I hope. That's the only thing I can really see this being good for, IMO. As discussed in other threads, phones and tablets do a better job of emulation than any of the consoles, if jailbroken, ever will, and evolve much faster over time as well.
Hey, if it means any chance of seeing a Project M version of Smash 4...

If only. The thirst might not be there anymore.

PMBR bailed for a game yet to be officially announced 17 days ago.
Too many people like/are ok with 4.
Current PM is excellent and certain community members want a static game to build a meta onto (for some reason.)

This does still open the door for individual character modification. Skins, costumes, new characters. General brawl era stuff. Maybe we'll get some thing stupid but awesome that actually makes the game fun and removes the training wheels, like a Brawl - type of thing.

I disagree. PSP and DS suffered HUGE due to piracy. Their software - console sales ratio is horrible.

They're handheld systems and by nature won't have stunning tie ratios in comparison to console. Wii was busted wide open early and didn't suffer the same software sales fate.

Console piracy isn't as widespread or devastating as people think it is.

DJKhaled

PS3 and 360 suffer from online cheats because of these hacks, which is a problem for everyone. You can say goodbye to Splatoon after this thing is out.

Nothing positive ever comes out of these hacks, it's just people getting excited to pirate some games and trolls excited to ruin everyone's online games. Fuck these hackers.

lol I'm sorry but this is such bullshit.

Top Bottom