• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
I think they offered an 'upgrade' to the larger capacity iPhone when it was released to existing customers.

So I imagine they will offer something for the 3G one, it will just extend your contract back to it's full 18 month/2 years again.

aparisi2274

I just read this on macrumors.net

Silicon Alley Insider first reported that NBC has developed an iPhone-specific version of their website that will stream Quicktime versions of some of their television shows.

iPhone and iPod Touch owners need only to point their mobile browser to NBC.com and they will automatically be redirected an optimized version of their site that offers video clips and full episodes.

The quality of the video clips are a bit low, but over the site appears very well designed. It also appears to be accessible to international users.

I took a look at The Office and 30 Rock. The quality is ok, nothing spectacular. If you are not near a wifi hot spot, it will probably take forever to load, but over a wifi connection, it streamed beautifully

aparisi2274 said:

I took a look at The Office and 30 Rock. The quality is ok, nothing spectacular. If you are not near a wifi hot spot, it will probably take forever to load, but over a wifi connection, it streamed beautifully

Yeah. I added this to my home screen a couple of days back as well. It's a slick little site. Hope they add more shows to the list.

Futureman

So the US Apple Store now says the iPhone is currently unavailable. This ain't no 2 week wait, it's a flat out not available.

3G iPhone imminent? (Well obviously it's imminent, but sooner than we thought??)

Juice

No more iPhones for US or UK

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/05/10/online-apple-store-is-out-of-iphones/

I think they're shooting for an early June announcement, late June release date. They probably intended for stock to dry up by early June, but if sales beat expectations, then it's not too absurd to think they just ran out of stock sooner than expected.

Apple has done this before. The pre-pizza box bulbous iMacs went out of stock a month before the back-to-school season. That situation was made even worse because the follow-up iMac was also delayed, which caused Apple to miss out altogether.

3G iPhone is imminent. It's just a matter of how many days I have to go until I can have one.

Oh, also, I asked at the store today and they said that if I buy a new hypothetical 3G iPhone, there's no problem with just swapping SIM cards and adding a new line using the old phone + new SIM card. During the iPhone launch, Apple was saying this was technically forbidden. (It'd be way easier than involving AT&T to make it all work, though.)

Costanza

Banned
aparisi2274 said:

awesome, bookmarked.

SuperPac

Futureman said:
So the US Apple Store now says the iPhone is currently unavailable. This ain't no 2 week wait, it's a flat out not available.

3G iPhone imminent? (Well obviously it's imminent, but sooner than we thought??)

I'd like to think we'll hear something about it this week.

This is pretty unprecedented. I don't think Apple's ever let a product go completely UNAVAILABLE especially on their online store. Usually you can still order with a 4-6 week waiting period or whatever. There's some speculation elsewhere that they're doing this as a courtesy so people that just bought a phone can't return it within the 14-day return window but I call b.s. on that. Apple's never done that before with iPods so it makes no sense that they'd start now.

But the fact that US taxpayer stimulus checks are making their way into peoples' bank accounts right now plus you have graduations/father's day ahead it really doesn't make sense for Apple to just have NO phones to sell during this period. Even if it was just pre-orders for a new phone, right now they have nothing. And it makes no sense to wait while people buy new phones/get locked into new 2-year contracts every day on other carriers especially if those people *wanted* to get an iPhone.

Apparently RIM's introducing a new Blackberry this week. How crazy would it be for Apple to just come along and take the wind out of those sails when everyone was expecting them to introduce it at WWDC/late June?

It doesn't make sense to announce a phone at a developer's conference, especially when the updates are going to be minor and predictable. Remember the new Mac Pros a week before Macworld?

SuperPac

Liu Kang Baking A Pie said:
It doesn't make sense to announce a phone at a developer's conference, especially when the updates are going to be minor and predictable. Remember the new Mac Pros a week before Macworld?

Yeah I don't see Apple waiting until WWDC to update. They can't go a full month with no product to even let people order/preorder online. That would be a HUGE blunder on their part, basically giving up an entire month to let people buy Blackberries and other competing phones (and get roped into contracts) because the iPhone's out of stock. Apple can't be that stupid.

Since there doesn't seem to be a Touch thread I'll put this here.

I just got an iPod Touch (love it, greatest peice of electronics I've ever owned) but one thing I've noticed is that you can practically watch the battery drain when using safari. This seems strange to me as playing 800+ kbs videos for an hour barely puts a dent in the battery. What's going on here? Does 2.0 adress this?

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
Looking forward to the 3G iphone as long as it fixes a few shortcomings such as the issue with MMS. A flash on the camera would be nice also.

Is it possible to display text messages in a normal fashion rather than in consecutive speech bubbles?

Burger

AndersTheSwede said:
Since there doesn't seem to be a Touch thread I'll put this here.

I just got an iPod Touch (love it, greatest peice of electronics I've ever owned) but one thing I've noticed is that you can practically watch the battery drain when using safari. This seems strange to me as playing 800+ kbs videos for an hour barely puts a dent in the battery. What's going on here? Does 2.0 adress this?

Constant wifi use sucks battery ?

AndersTheSwede said:
Except it happens when I'm just sitting at a loaded page. Its just surprising how much battery safari uses over even video.

Make sure the page isn't doing something that is constantly updating. If it reloads automatically every so often, it could eat the battery. But honestly, once the page loads it shouldn't be using WiFi at all. The iPhone doesn't work that way. Also, there is a little indicator next to the WiFi signal strength meter. It spins around when loading a page and disappears when it's not loading.

This thread seems to be the iPod Touch thread btw:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=211082&highlight=iPod+Touch

Phoenix

SuperPac said:
Yeah I don't see Apple waiting until WWDC to update. They can't go a full month with no product to even let people order/preorder online. That would be a HUGE blunder on their part, basically giving up an entire month to let people buy Blackberries and other competing phones (and get roped into contracts) because the iPhone's out of stock. Apple can't be that stupid.

It would be odd for Apple to launch a new iPhone without the new OS and the new OS is NOWHERE near ready for prime time.

Munin

Okay, uh, the situation is this: In summer I'm gonna be away from home for a long time, and possibly from any computers too. Since I don't have a laptop, and I haven't had a cellphone for a long time, I thought I could kill two birds with one stone. So I was thinking about getting a phone that's good to browse the web with, check emails etc. The iPhone is probably the best choice for that (although if you can recommend a (cheaper) phone that can do these tasks while being equally comfortable, feel free to do so).

Anyway, the dilemma is obvious, they're gonna release a new version soon. But for me, that may already be too late (and possibly too expensive). Were there any hints already at what kind of improvements the new one would offer? Would any new firmwares, functions, applications etc. still work on my old one? And I don't only mean ones released in the near future, but more...in a long-term perspective.

yayaba

Munin said:
Okay, uh, the situation is this: In summer I'm gonna be away from home for a long time, and possibly from any computers too. Since I don't have a laptop, and I haven't had a cellphone for a long time, I thought I could kill two birds with one stone. So I was thinking about getting a phone that's good to browse the web with, check emails etc. The iPhone is probably the best choice for that (although if you can recommend a (cheaper) phone that can do these tasks while being equally comfortable, feel free to do so).

Anyway, the dilemma is obvious, they're gonna release a new version soon. But for me, that may already be too late (and possibly too expensive). Were there any hints already at what kind of improvements the new one would offer? Would any new firmwares, functions, applications etc. still work on my old one? And I don't only mean ones released in the near future, but more...in a long-term perspective.

The new phone will definitely have 3G. Benefits of 3G:

1) Substantially faster data connection
2) Simult. voice and data meaning you can talk on the phone and surf, receive e-mail, etc.

Rumor has it that it will have GPS and possibly a front facing camera. If so, then of course any app or feature built with GPS or with a front camera will not work on the old iPhone.

Other than that, the new phone is getting the same firmware as the old phone so the two should be pretty equal except for the new hardware.

SuperPac

Phoenix said:
It would be odd for Apple to launch a new iPhone without the new OS and the new OS is NOWHERE near ready for prime time.

Well it's a month or so away from prime time. They couldn't introduce a new model that runs the old OS in the meantime?

dextran

wow, I'm so psyched about the new iphone coming out that it's making me want to buy a BMW - so I can have the iPod connection and hand-free bluetooth calling. Now if I could just find more money...

giga

3goption.jpg

Note that this is not fake, it is in the beta 5 .ipsw, but will normally not show up on an EDGE iPhone. Turning 3G on will just crash the phone if you use an EDGE phone. If you do not believe me, then decrypt the beta5 rootfs dmg, and see for yourself in /Applications/Preferences.app/Network.plist

http://theappleblog.com/2008/05/11/3g-iphone-preference-found-in-beta-5-firmware/

SonnyBoy

Wow, if they give you the choice to run 3G....my goodness, that'd be awesome and almost secures me getting the new version of the iPhone at some point this year. The one thing I disliked about sprints BB svc was that it destroyed the battery.

Do other phones give you this option?

Futureman

ant1532 said:
How much is the 3G phone supposed to be?

There's a rumor that AT&T will subsidize the iPhone this time around, knocking around $200 off the price if you sign a 2 year contract. RUMOR though. That would put the price of the iPhone 2.0 around $200-300.

Anyone else think that plans with 3G will probably cost more? The current plan is pretty reasonable on the data side, and I have to think part of that was due to the fact that it used EDGE. I can see them tacking on another fee for 3G possibly.

Juice

This is just getting too delicious. 3G iPhone this month with mini-tablet next month?

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/05/11/3g-iphone-in-may-another-device-at-wwdc/

Grain of Salt said:
The reason for a pre-WWDC announcement? Reportedly, Apple would instead announce a brand new portable device at WWDC. No other details of what this device might be, but there have been rumors that Apple was developing a mini-tablet multitouch device for launch in 2008. This PDA-like device would reportedly have a higher screen resolution (720x480) and be about 1.5x the size of the existing iPhone.

Phoenix

SuperPac said:
Well it's a month or so away from prime time. They couldn't introduce a new model that runs the old OS in the meantime?

No, because the old OS doesn't support 3G. All of the functionality for that is in the new OS which is still very much beta, but I guess anything is possible.

Juice

Phoenix said:
No, because the old OS doesn't support 3G. All of the functionality for that is in the new OS which is still very much beta, but I guess anything is possible.

One never knows what god-like access you have, but there's always the chance that the current seed is just pretty stale. A month out, the Leopard seeds were horrific. (Some would argue the launch was as well, but even with the hellish experience I had, it was nowhere near as bad as Tiger's.)

SuperPac said:
An iPhone-like tablet the size of a paperback book or manga would be nice. Then they could (maybe) start selling books via iTunes as well. That'd be interesting. But I'd like something a little more like a tablet in form factor and function.

Yeah, I think they've got a sharp idea thinking a tablet doesn't necessarily have to be laptop size. Something more like a small clip board would be pretty ideal for me. The issue is that they'd be spreading themselves too thin to develop an all new class of applications for it. Either iPhone apps or full-blown OS X ones. It'd be hard to believe developers having pockets deep enough to actively support all three at once.

SuperPac

Phoenix said:

I thought the new iPhone OS has a preference for turning 3G on/off. New phone ships with 1.1.4, 3G is off. How difficult would that be? Or, new phone ships with 1.1.5 with the 3G preference but none of the other iPhone 2.0 features like the app store.

I just don't think Apple's gonna go a month without selling another iPhone. That would be horrifically stupid of them.

Phoenix

Juice said:
One never knows what god-like access you have, but there's always the chance that the current seed is just pretty stale. A month out, the Leopard seeds were horrific. (Some would argue the launch was as well, but even with the hellish experience I had, it was nowhere near as bad as Tiger's.)

Certainly if they haven't given access to anyone outside of Apple they could be ready to go, and there has been considerable effort made over the past week to close the numerous issues I have open - but I find it hard to believe that 2.0 is ready to go right now. Its a shitload better than 4, but its still hacky/crashy.

Phoenix

SuperPac said:
I thought the new iPhone OS has a preference for turning 3G on/off. New phone ships with 1.1.4, 3G is off. How difficult would that be? Or, new phone ships with 1.1.5 with the 3G preference but none of the other iPhone 2.0 features like the app store.

I just don't think Apple's gonna go a month without selling another iPhone. That would be horrifically stupid of them.

Why would you ship a 3G iPhone and turn 3G off? That would be retarded IMO. They certainly could push out a branch of the OS before 2.0, but it just seems odd that they would be tossing the phone out so quickly and without any marketing campaign. Haven't seen any invites or anything else which is where Apple would push a major model release like this.

SuperPac

Phoenix said:
Why would you ship a 3G iPhone and turn 3G off? That would be retarded IMO. They certainly could push out a branch of the OS before 2.0, but it just seems odd that they would be tossing the phone out so quickly and without any marketing campaign. Haven't seen any invites or anything else which is where Apple would push a major model release like this.

Spending a month or more with no phones to sell is more retarded, IMO. I mean, they sold Apple TVs in advance of the 2.0 software update in that case. Obviously people want to buy iPhones, 2.5G or not--the demand is there. I don't see a problem offering the phone itself early with the software update to come when it's ready in June.

Juice

Phoenix said:

More realistically, if the full-blown 2.0 software isn't ready, they probably have a tagged version ready that only incorporates what's needed for the new hardware and 3G connectivity and saves the rest for later.

SuperPac said:
Spending a month or more with no phones to sell is more retarded, IMO. I mean, they sold Apple TVs in advance of the 2.0 software update in that case.

I still think that sales were just a tad better than internally anticipated + they wanted some period of unavailability to avoid the massive backlash they had from the price drop.

Phoenix

SuperPac said:
Spending a month or more with no phones to sell is more retarded, IMO. I mean, they sold Apple TVs in advance of the 2.0 software update in that case.

Entirely different since they already had those products on the market and were just upgrading the firmware. Not the same scenario.

While I do think that there are some issues with no iPhones coming from Apple in the channel and that is a clear indication that they are coming soon - the only way they can push them out is to either gimp the crap out of them or ship out a crappy version of the 2.0 OS.

SuperPac

Juice said:
I still think that sales were just a tad better than internally anticipated + they wanted some period of unavailability to avoid the massive backlash they had from the price drop.

But they didn't have a period of unavailability before they introduced the 16GB version in February. They don't have periods of unavailability for ANY of their other *more expensive* hardware. Personally, the $200 drop after 2 months of availability was a very rare case. Maybe sales were better than internally anticipated but IMO this is maybe the worst time for that to happen when US consumers are getting stimulus checks to spend and graduation/father's day is here.

Honestly, the availability of a 3G iPhone, IMO, isn't going to completely kill demand for a (presumably cheaper) 2.5G version. Just as people buy iPod Shuffles, Nanos, etc. when there are "better" iPods available.

Phoenix

SuperPac said:
But they didn't have a period of unavailability before they introduced the 16GB version in February. They don't have periods of unavailability for ANY of their other *more expensive* hardware. Personally, the $200 drop after 2 months of availability was a very rare case. Maybe sales were better than internally anticipated but IMO this is maybe the worst time for that to happen when US consumers are getting stimulus checks to spend and graduation/father's day is here.

Honestly, the availability of a 3G iPhone, IMO, isn't going to completely kill demand for a (presumably cheaper) 2.5G version. Just as people buy iPod Shuffles, Nanos, etc. when there are "better" iPods available.

Well AT&T is pushing 3G in a big way now. They don't really want to push any new non-3G smartphones onto their network. Their "words" not mine. On top of that, I'm sure this next batch of phones is being manufactured more cheaply than the previous batch and they don't want to pay for a new line for the old line. If the new phones are that plastic crap, I really want the old phone design.

SuperPac

Phoenix said:
Well AT&T is pushing 3G in a big way now. They don't really want to push any new non-3G smartphones onto their network. Their "words" not mine. On top of that, I'm sure this next batch of phones is being manufactured more cheaply than the previous batch and they don't want to pay for a new line for the old line. If the new phones are that plastic crap, I really want the old phone design.

My thing is just that no other product in Apple's history has gone unavailable even before a new version is out. Yes AT&T is pushing 3G in a big way. So I don't see what the harm'd be in releasing the new hardware with a 1.1.5/6/7/8/9 number after it that enables 3G even prior to the official rollout of the iPhone 2.0 software. It's not like buying now precludes you from updating when 2.0 is out.

Obviously even with 2.5G phones to sell at this point there's still plenty of demand. At a time when Apple was promising 10m sold by the end of the year plus a new Blackberry about to be announced I don't think Apple can just go a month without. I don't see why they would've done the drastic price drop in the UK or made the old model phone "unavailable" for purchase if there was not a plan to refresh very quickly.

Hell, as soon as the next iPhone is available for purchase or preorder I will be on that bandwagon, with or without the new software and even if 3G isn't gonna be "enabled" until then.

Juice

Phoenix said:

Yes. I've gotta look for the source, but there was a back-of-the-napkin calculation that the relatively little traffic EDGE ended up accruing in its lifetime makes it absurdly more expensive to maintain per-user than the HSUPA network will.

Juice

SuperPac said:
My thing is just that no other product in Apple's history has gone unavailable even before a new version is out

False.

Apple also miscalculated iMac demand of the bulbous iMac as they were phasing it out. It was out of stock in early July in advance of an intended August launch of the pizza-box iMac, which was ultimately delayed for a while. There was a solid couple months where it was inordinately difficult to buy any iMac at all, which cost Apple a crucial back-to-school season.

SuperPac

Juice said:
False.

Apple also miscalculated iMac demand of the bulbous iMac as they were phasing it out. It was out of stock in early July in advance of an intended August launch of the pizza-box iMac, which was ultimately delayed for a while. There was a solid couple months where it was inordinately difficult to buy any iMac at all, which cost Apple a crucial back-to-school season.

OK, so it's been years since it's happened. :) (I didn't remember that particular episode.) Either way, I don't think they can go very long with it being "unavailable."

BTW in that previous example, did it go "Unavailable" -- being that you can't order them at all?

Phoenix

SuperPac said:
Hell, as soon as the next iPhone is available for purchase or preorder I will be on that bandwagon, with or without the new software and even if 3G isn't gonna be "enabled" until then.

The thing is that you're treating 3G like its a software feature to just be enabled. The 3G chips are a different chipset altogether. You either write firmware for the chip or not. So if they ship a 3G iPhone you've got a 3G phone because you're running on a 3G chip/modem. They can have it seek the slower network to reduce power consumption and shit down parts of the chip (which they will), but its not like they will put out a device with 2.5 capabilities and a firmware upgrade to 3G.

Phoenix

SuperPac said:
OK, so it's been years since it's happened. :) (I didn't remember that particular episode.) Either way, I don't think they can go very long with it being "unavailable."

Well the most they would be doing it is "30 days", and not even that long really since the keynote is on the 9th. I dunno, its all up in the air IMO. If they do decide to release early (which isn't really Apple's thing), they will definitely be chancing putting out an imperfect buggy product.

SuperPac

Phoenix said:
The thing is that you're treating 3G like its a software feature to just be enabled. The 3G chips are a different chipset altogether. You either write firmware for the chip or not. So if they ship a 3G iPhone you've got a 3G phone because you're running on a 3G chip/modem. They can have it seek the slower network to reduce power consumption and shit down parts of the chip (which they will), but its not like they will put out a device with 2.5 capabilities and a firmware upgrade to 3G.

Right. But there's a control panel in the beta 2.0 software to toggle 3G on/off. They couldn't ship an iPhone that has a version of the OS (1.1.5 or better) that has that control panel?

Phoenix

SuperPac said:
Right. But there's a control panel in the beta 2.0 software to toggle 3G on/off. They couldn't ship an iPhone that has a version of the OS (1.1.5 or better) that has that control panel?

The control panel is irrelevant, its the firmware that needs to be written in the 1.x branch. If they could get the firmware ready for the 1.x branch of the system then they could get it ready for the 2.x branch. All the control panel is doing is telling the firmware to do something.

hirokazu

SuperPac said:
An iPhone-like tablet the size of a paperback book or manga would be nice. Then they could (maybe) start selling books via iTunes as well. That'd be interesting. But I'd like something a little more like a tablet in form factor and function.
I would buy this.

SuperPac said:
I'm not quite sure what you're getting at. The iPhone 2.0 beta has been identified as version 1.2 (not sure about the latest beta versions), this firmware used in the current iPhone models appears to be the same as that which will be used for the 3G model, thus it has the 3G code and settings included. However, these settings are disabled when the firmware is running on current models, people have managed to access it by modifying some files and things, but it will not do anything useful except on 3G iPhones.

SuperPac

hirokazu said:
I'm not quite sure what you're getting at. The iPhone 2.0 beta has been identified as version 1.2 (not sure about the latest beta versions), this firmware used in the current iPhone models appears to be the same as that which will be used for the 3G model, thus it has the 3G code and settings included. However, these settings are disabled when the firmware is running on current models, people have managed to access it by modifying some files and things, but it will not do anything useful except on 3G iPhones.

Right. What I'm wondering is if they could potentially release a 3G iPhone with a version of 1.1.x that has that code and settings included but is otherwise no different from the software on the current 2.5G model.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom