• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Juice

Article is either bullshit or poorly written. I simply cannot understand how Apple would market the 3G iPhone as $199 in at&t stores, but $399 in Apple stores. If it's just a matter of signing in-store, they could do an Apple store rebate for after the phone is activated, but the article went so far as to say the subsidized phone would somehow be MORE locked down (hah!)

It isn't like Apple is going to sell the $399 iPhones as unlocked if they're under a 5 year agreement. So what the hell are apple staff going to say when someone says "I thought it was $199". Hopefully Apple is smart enough to trade away revenue sharing for an agreement to take signatures in their own stores to get around this mess.

Dilbert

Dumb question: A long time ago, there was supposed to be a capability at Starbucks where, if you joined their WiFi network, you would get a button on your home screen which would let you view recently played songs and also buy them from the iTunes Music Store. This was supposed to work even if you weren't a T-Mobile member -- you could get this simply by virtue of being on the WiFi network.

Did this ever get rolled out? I tried this recently in an L.A. Starbucks, and nothing happened...

-jinx- said:
Dumb question: A long time ago, there was supposed to be a capability at Starbucks where, if you joined their WiFi network, you would get a button on your home screen which would let you view recently played songs and also buy them from the iTunes Music Store. This was supposed to work even if you weren't a T-Mobile member -- you could get this simply by virtue of being on the WiFi network.

Did this ever get rolled out? I tried this recently in an L.A. Starbucks, and nothing happened...

Not rolled out in LA yet:
http://www.apple.com/itunes/starbucks/

Manics

Banned
Crazymoogle said:
Wooo! Canada is officially onboard the iPhone bandwagon, at least according to Rogers. No idea on release date or anything though.

My next phone and carrier is confirmed. Once my Telus contract runs out in Feb, I'm on Rogers and iPhone.

I'll believe it when I see it when it comes to that article, but on the other hand, the rumors are that Apple is giving up the revenue sharing plans, so perhaps this is part of the deal. They give up the plans, and AT&T can subsidize the phone. If so, I may be on board for the 3G model when it releases, when I was prepared to wait on it.

Also, in regards to the Starbucks deal. When it was announced they said it would take a few years before it rolled out to everyone. Apparently it means installing new wireless hubs.

Juice

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I'll believe it when I see it when it comes to that article, but on the other hand, the rumors are that Apple is giving up the revenue sharing plans, so perhaps this is part of the deal. They give up the plans, and AT&T can subsidize the phone. If so, I may be on board for the 3G model when it releases, when I was prepared to wait on it.

Yeah, that's the only way this makes any sense. Even then, having the phone cost one figure in one place, and a higher amount from Apple themselves is going to be impossible to educate people on and probably lower the value of the phone. Either it's $199 retail everywhere (with signage) or it's $399 everywhere with a $200 service rebate. The status symbol value is tarnished if someone sees it on the shelf at the apple store for $399, then walks outside to the fucking AT&T mall kiosk which has it for half price. This is even WORSE than the use case used to justify why Apple didn't want a subsidy on the 2G iPhone.

Phoenix

Juice said:
Yeah, that's the only way this makes any sense. Even then, having the phone cost one figure in one place, and a higher amount from Apple themselves is going to be impossible to educate people on and probably lower the value of the phone. Either it's $199 retail everywhere (with signage) or it's $399 everywhere with a $200 service rebate. The status symbol value is tarnished if someone sees it on the shelf at the apple store for $399, then walks outside to the fucking AT&T mall kiosk which has it for half price. This is even WORSE than the use case used to justify why Apple didn't want a subsidy on the 2G iPhone.

Apple are the lords of price protection. No way in hell they are going to allow other retail chain partners to undercut them on price.

Juice

Phoenix said:
Apple are the lords of price protection. No way in hell they are going to allow other retail chain partners to undercut them on price.

That's what I'm saying; why I'm still trying to figure out what that guy at Fortune heard to lead him to write such a matter-of-fact article flying in the face of that.

Phoenix

tetsuoxb said:
I'm pretty sure the subsidy would apply to Apple Store sales as well.

Weird article said:
The $200 rebate or subsidy would be limited to AT&T customers and not available through Apple’s stores. The new iPhone sold by AT&T will likely be locked or programmed so buyers can’t take the cheaper iPhone to another phone service.

You would think, but that's an area that the article says NO to .

The average iPhone user however, runs up a $100 tab each month due to the higher priced data and calling plan.

wat?

I've managed to stay within my $60 boundary and uh - I thought data was unlimited on all plans? :\

Also, since the SDK has been released is there any news of voice dial software being made official?

Phoenix

The Take Out Bandit said:
wat?

I've managed to stay within my $60 boundary and uh - I thought data was unlimited on all plans? :\

Also, since the SDK has been released is there any news of voice dial software being made official?

Unless apple does some very generous things with background apps its pretty much impossible unless you want to launch an application before you can say the name.

Phoenix said:
Unless apple does some very generous things with background apps its pretty much impossible unless you want to launch an application before you can say the name.

Well there is that voice recognition app for Jailbroken iPhones; which they claimed would go official once the SDK was released, but the developer has been silent since. :\

Phoenix

The Take Out Bandit said:
Well there is that voice recognition app for Jailbroken iPhones; which they claimed would go official once the SDK was released, but the developer has been silent since. :\

With a jailbroken app you can simply run your process in the background. With the official SDK, you can't do that within the terms of what Apple currently provides.

anyone having issues sending picture messages to t-mobile phones using swirlymms? i tried sending pics to my ex-gf and she's never able to dl them. i send them to other ppl and they get them fine

Nick

Latest rumor floating around.

iLounge.com said:
Remember last year, when a little-known company named Uniea announced new iPod nano cases—with correct physical dimensions—before the new iPod nano was ever shown? As we mentioned shortly afterwards, readers were quick to slam Uniea and its mock-ups, but the cases proved perfect fits when the new nano was released. Now, there are all sorts of friend-of-a-friend stories swirling around about the second-generation iPhone, and perhaps not surprisingly, they contradict one another. Yesterday, a Taiwanese newspaper claimed Hon Hai/Foxconn was making an iPhone with a 2.8” screen, which would present certain major interface challenges given the way the current iPhone works, and might well be a “mini” iPhone rather than a full sequel to the current model. Additionally, like you, we’ve heard about another model that is supposedly coming soon, and sounds more like a true next-generation iPhone. Companies overseas have already started working on products for this one, which is basically the same size as the current iPhone, but has slightly different curves, coloration, and materials. Specs for either or both of these models could be nothing more than disinformation put out to burn developers, but they could also be correct. In any case, here are the details they’re working from.

iphone2b.jpg

The Next iPhone?

Developers believe that the “glossy black plastic iPhone” details that have been circulating are partially accurate. When you first hear the word “plastic,” you tend to think “cheap,” but the premise here appears to be to approximate the look of metal through automobile-style gloss, while eliminating the presence of matte plastics and metal found in the original iPhone. The rear shell becomes larger, with the hard aluminum casing disappearing entirely, but a silver metallic bezel remains on the front—just much thinner than before. Once flat on both the back and front, the enclosure now is tapered like a MacBook Air, thicker at the center than at the sides. From the side, top, or bottom, the curves and proportions look more Blackberry than iPhone, but from the front, the new model looks basically unchanged from its predecessor. Perforated bottom speaker and microphone grilles have been transformed into larger shapes alongside the Dock Connector, as well.

While the screen size stays the same in this model—3.5” diagonal, with 3” height and 2” width, some currently unexplained changes are made around the ear speaker. On iPhone, a proximity sensor and ambient light sensor sat above this speaker; the new version has what appear to be three separate sensors, or two sensors and a tiny second camera—the original camera stays where it was. Though it would be great to picture this new dot as a video iChat-ready camera location, it’s entirely possible that this is nothing more than a rearrangement of the proximity sensor array. And colors? Glossy black or white backs are apparently locks, with a red version possible, too. Each would have the same silver bezel on front, and substantially black material surrounding the screen.

Of course, only Apple and its key partners know if any of this is correct, but some companies are assuming that it is. It’ll be interesting to see whether they’re right, and new cases begin to appear immediately after iPhone’s launch, or whether a multi-month delay is in store.

Hmm... I think it's real.

Futureman

You know what would be THE killer feature for iPhone 2.0? A slide out keyboard. I'm not saying get rid of the touch interface - not at all, in fact, improve it and make it even sweeter. Having the option though to use a pull out keyboard would be massive.

That, plus 32 GB, GPS, 3G, plus the App store that is coming... I think that would make the perfect portable device.

I'm on a family plan right now, if I bought an iPhone, would that raise our monthly bill by $20? How does that work?

Futureman

Possibly real but with a fake shell maybe? It doesn't look like a very nice material on the case, don't think Apple would cheapen the look of the iPhone.

But then again, maybe it's just a bad photo, light reflected weird or something. I like the idea here better though, something about the current iPhone design isn't appealing to me.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Can someone with an iphone clarify an issue for me - all the news stories I've been reading about the 3G phone mention that the average iphone user cell bill is in the $90 range, but I was under the impression the data plan for the iphone was unlimited and much cheaper than average (somewhere in the neighborhood of $60 for basic voice + unlimited data)? My Verizon contract is completely up in the next few months and I'm a blackberry user, and the main reason I was thinking of jumping ship is the much cheaper data plan. With push exchange integration, there's no need for me to stick with a blackberry + Verizon's $95/month rape pricing scheme. What is the real pricing people are paying for their iphone plans?

Futureman

Nerevar said:
Can someone with an iphone clarify an issue for me - all the news stories I've been reading about the 3G phone mention that the average iphone user cell bill is in the $90 range, but I was under the impression the data plan for the iphone was unlimited and much cheaper than average (somewhere in the neighborhood of $60 for basic voice + unlimited data)? My Verizon contract is completely up in the next few months and I'm a blackberry user, and the main reason I was thinking of jumping ship is the much cheaper data plan. With push exchange integration, there's no need for me to stick with a blackberry + Verizon's $95/month rape pricing scheme. What is the real pricing people are paying for their iphone plans?

I think that it's $20 extra onto whatever plan you choose for unlimited data. That might go up though since the new iPhone will be 3G and pushing more data.

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Futureman said:
I think that it's $20 extra onto whatever plan you choose for unlimited data. That might go up though since the new iPhone will be 3G and pushing more data.

so that means the "base" price for phone + unlimited data is $60 ($40 voice + $20 unlimited data), right?

they're going to not be doing themselves any favors chasing the corporate market if they raise the price to compete head to head with RIM, that's for sure.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
yes, current price for the data portion is $20 for unlimited data and 200 text messages per month. Obviously voice varies based on number of minutes you choose. I don't have the individual plan because my wife and I are both on AT&T, but I think $60 overall for voice and data is right.

I have the $60 plan and have never had any issues with the data bill running up. It's always $59.95 + and text messages that might go over the 200 included. Otherwise, I never get hit for extras.

Ashhong

i do like how the screen takes up most of the space. makes it look more hi tech. but at the same time it looks cheaper. needs its chrome trim!

capslock said:
It's an LG Vue painted to look like the next iPhone, so, fake.

uhhhh no.

4-3-08-lg-vu.jpg

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
Help meh!

I (like an idiot) downgraded from XP to Vista. My iPhone was an afterthought. I'm back on XP, but don't want to lose my music playlist. Is there a way to associate my iPhone w/ this new build and not lose everything? I don't want to have to manually add all the same music again. Just jotting it all down will take forever.

Any ideas?

DaCocoBrova said:
Help meh!

I (like an idiot) downgraded from XP to Vista. My iPhone was an afterthought. I'm back on XP, but don't want to lose my music playlist. Is there a way to associate my iPhone w/ this new build and not lose everything? I don't want to have to manually add all the same music again. Just jotting it all down will take forever.

Any ideas?

I think you can pull it off if you set the iphone to manual update. Did you make the playlist with the iphone or itunes?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
I made the playlist w/ iTunes.

It shows the songs, but they're all greyed out.

Holy cow. "Raging Thunder" is an arcadey racing game that was released in "demo" form yesterday by a company called PolarBit. I've been playing it all day, and it's pretty damn amazing.

screenshot2.jpg

It's under games if you add Big Boss to your installer sources at sleepers.net/iphonerepo. The steering is done with the accelerometer so it's kind of sensitive until you get used to it. But regardless, it's pretty unbelievable to play a game with polygons, textures, a "draw distance", etc. It's the equivalent to playing Ridge Racer on psx for the first time twelve years ago. It's definitely a sneak peek at what gaming on the iPhone will be like when the SDK results start rolling out.

Nameless

Boy am I glad I didn't shell out $250 to fix my cracked iphone. I will be picking up the second gen this summer for sure. I like that they're taking decreasing the amount of metal also. Even with a case the back of my iPhone still faded and scratched pretty badly--very ugly.

Nameless said:
Boy am I glad I didn't shell out $250 to fix my cracked iphone. I will be picking up the second gen this summer for sure. I like that they're taking decreasing the amount of metal also. Even with a case the back of my iPhone still faded and scratched pretty badly--very ugly.

Until you actually see the 2nd Gen iPhone from Apple, I'd take any of these mock-ups with a big grain of salt. For all we know, there could be more metal in it. Or it could look nearly exactly the same.

maynerd

Banned
So I got an iPhone in january and got a 2 year contract. If iPhone 2 comes out in June how do I handle the contract situation if I want it?

maynerd said:
So I got an iPhone in january and got a 2 year contract. If iPhone 2 comes out in June how do I handle the contract situation if I want it?

Yet to be seen, but I'd guess you'll be looking at re-upping for 2 years.

sangreal

maynerd said:

You can get as many new phones as you want during a contract, you just don't get a discount

Although the iPhone is special so who knows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom