• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iPhone - Official Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Solaros

I need some help here...

I just unplugged my iPod from my computer after backing it up.

I plug my iPhone in and it doesn't even recognize it in iTunes.

iPhone is jailbroken with 1.1.3
iTunes 7.6.2.9

My photos show up in the My Computer area.

Any help is appreciated. I just wanted to add a playlist to it.

Edit: Well if you have this issue try using the iPhone cable and not the iPod cable ;)

Phoenix

SuperPac said:
Right. What I'm wondering is if they could potentially release a 3G iPhone with a version of 1.1.x that has that code and settings included but is otherwise no different from the software on the current 2.5G model.

In order to launch in under 30 days with no outside testing?

teiresias

SuperPac said:
An iPhone-like tablet the size of a paperback book or manga would be nice. Then they could (maybe) start selling books via iTunes as well. That'd be interesting. But I'd like something a little more like a tablet in form factor and function.

I'd really only be interested in this if they got away from the "finger only" interface and at least put in a Newton-esque stylus interface for writing and text entry. A tablet would be great if you had a decent stylus for taking notes or writing, but quite frankly any kind of touch screen keyboard is just too damn slow.

Phoenix

teiresias said:
I'd really only be interested in this if they got away from the "finger only" interface and at least put in a Newton-esque stylus interface for writing and text entry. A tablet would be great if you had a decent stylus for taking notes or writing, but quite frankly any kind of touch screen keyboard is just too damn slow.

Hmmmm.....

Mason

Yeah, unless the new iPhone has some improved method of text-input, I'm probably jumping ship to the Blackberry Bold. That thing is fucking HAWT.

Mason said:
Yeah, unless the new iPhone has some improved method of text-input, I'm probably jumping ship to the Blackberry Bold. That thing is fucking HAWT.

Enjoy the Bold. The iPhone ain't changing the onscreen keyboard. We've had this discussion before and it ain't happening.

Gary Whitta said:
Both versions (8/16gb) of the iPhone are now "currently unavailable" at the online Apple store. Hmmmm...

Interesting, I'm going to want a 3G version soo bad but I need to spend my money on a new computer. Speaking of which, is Apple expected to update the MacBook Pro's anytime soon? I haven't really been following them lately.

sorryaboutdresden said:
Interesting, I'm going to want a 3G version soo bad but I need to spend my money on a new computer. Speaking of which, is Apple expected to update the MacBook Pro's anytime soon? I haven't really been following them lately.
The Pros just got a minor refresh very recently.

Phoenix

Gary Whitta said:
Both versions (8/16gb) of the iPhone are now "currently unavailable" at the online Apple store. Hmmmm...

Been unavailable for a while now. You can still find them at retail locations.

Juice

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/05/13/3g-iphone-with-gps-video-conferences-tv/

Unique to this source, however, is the report that the iPhone would come with GPS, Video Conferencing and Mobile TV functionality.

This absolutely reeks of "take all the best rumors and current news, then combine them for a super phone!"

That said, if this iPhone has video chat, I'm picking up two of them. I couldn't possibly own a phone with such a feature (and iChat integration) and not get one for my wife same day.

i was dead set on keeping my iphone a full 2 years (i got mine in early july 07).

however, after a mistake keeping it in my shorts pocket while i went gokarting, i now have 3 small scratches about an inch long and a centimeter apart in the upper right part of my screen - i can use it just fine, you cant even feel them when you brush over them, but in the daylight they are quite visible...

so now my girlfriend will have a jailbroken/hacktivated iphone to use as a webbrower/ipod/etc in july, and i'll have a 3g iphone.

n3ss

aka acr0nym
I went to raidoshack today in hopes of getting a headphone adapter in order to use my shure headphones with my iphone... no dice, none of them worked... anyone know what i should be looking for? link? anything? i hate useing my shitty iphone earphones.

SuperPac

acr0nym said:
I went to raidoshack today in hopes of getting a headphone adapter in order to use my shure headphones with my iphone... no dice, none of them worked... anyone know what i should be looking for? link? anything? i hate useing my shitty iphone earphones.

Two ends of the spectrum here... you don't like shitty headphones, yet you shop at RadioShack. :) Try an Apple Store. Or Best Buy. Or Circuit City.

EDIT: Added smiley. Sounded harsh without it. Didn't mean to be a douche about it.

acr0nym said:

Buy this - http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...ter&kw=angle+stereo+adapter&parentPage=search

Trim the part around the stereo output prong until it fits into the iPhone's recessed headphone jack. Works wonders :)

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
205203-main2.png

320x416 video at a blazing fast 15fps?

Apple, please catch up with the rest of the world and do it properly for iphone 2.0. A flash wouldnt go astray either.

acr0nym said:

This is the one I got. Works really great with any headphones and you can clip the mic to your shirt or the headphone cable. $20 at the Apple Store.

http://www.monstercable.com/productdisplay.asp?pin=4571

Captain N said:
any chance we'll actually get to see photos and send photos in text messages or is that an AT&T thing?

I've heard it's more of an AT&T thing than an Apple thing. Obviously the iPhone is capable of those kinds of communications.

Roders5

Iwata een bom zal droppen
Human_Shield said:
Whatever happened to NeoGAF getting a custom icon for the iPhone home screen? It's the only link on my phone that looks crappy.
Yeah, can't believe we're still waiting for this.

DECK'ARD

The Amiga Brotherhood
Looks like the 3G iPhone is going to have a big brother at WWDC.

The Apple mini-tablet rumour is gaining strength:

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/05/14/intel-confirms-atom-based-larger-iphone-mini-tablet/

As part of an Intel event for the 40th birthday of the semiconductor company at Munich’s BMW World, Germany managing director Hannes Schwaderer confirmed today what has long been a rumor on the Internet: namely, that there is an iPhone with Intel’s new Atom chip. The device is slightly larger than the current version, Schwaderer said. That is not, however, because of the Intel chip, but because of the larger display used in the new iPhone.

He goes on to say that an upgraded version of the current form factor of iPhone would also exist as a 3G-model.

Juice

Nash said:
Looks like the 3G iPhone is going to have a big brother at WWDC.

The Apple mini-tablet rumour is gaining strength:

http://www.macrumors.com/2008/05/14/intel-confirms-atom-based-larger-iphone-mini-tablet/

This is shaping up to be interesting.

With everyone assuming we'd see an iPhone mini, it turns out that we already all have the iPhone Mini, and that this new iPhone that will no doubt be gargantuan in proportion is the new full-size one. It'll be pretty hard to sell it as a phone if it's much bigger than the existing one.

If I can't fit it in my pocket, I probably can't justify buying it.

Phoenix

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I've heard it's more of an AT&T thing than an Apple thing. Obviously the iPhone is capable of those kinds of communications.

Its definitely an AT&T thing. The iPhone isn't the only phone stuck in suck with AT&Ts bullshit MMS system.

acr0nym said:

Inline wire design (pro: distributes weight load from jack)
fits recessed iphone headphone port
adapts any standard pair of headphones.

pRS1C-4435057w345.jpg

Griffin Headphone Adapter for Apple® iPhone®

$9.99

http://www.radioshack.com/product/i...e+adapter&kw=iphone+adapter&parentPage=search

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
Here's the screen size for the new tablet/iPhone device. This is with an identical dpi, courtesy of the macrumors thread on the subject.

ipadsize.gif

If the new device is proportional to the iPhone it would be 6.75 x 3.6 inches. Kinda big for a pocket.

I wonder if the rumors of a new tablet device line up with the rumors last week about handwriting recognition showing up in the iPhone firmware. Hmmm... the potential is there I suppose. I'll have to see what the device is first though. I already have an iPhone and a laptop. Not sure I need something in the middle.

Tobor

Kung Fu Jedi said:
I wonder if the rumors of a new tablet device line up with the rumors last week about handwriting recognition showing up in the iPhone firmware. Hmmm... the potential is there I suppose. I'll have to see what the device is first though. I already have an iPhone and a laptop. Not sure I need something in the middle.

And what would this pad cost? $1000? I'd rather get the 3g phone to replace my existing iPhone.

I'm starting to waver on the 3G. I wasn't going to buy it, but I know once I see it, it's going to be near impossible to resist. I've got $500 set aside in case.

Tobor said:
And what would this pad cost? $1000? I'd rather get the 3g phone to replace my existing iPhone.

I'm starting to waver on the 3G. I wasn't going to buy it, but I know once I see it, it's going to be near impossible to resist. I've got $500 set aside in case.

Just a pure guess, but I'd say it would have to be in the $700-$800 range, any more and it's moving into laptop territory, any less and it might effect iPhone sales. Guess we'll have to wait and see though.

I'm pretty set against getting the 3G iPhone unless it introduces a number of other really nice features. 3G alone won't get me to bite, as I can wait for the third gen iPhone, but if it offers some other cool upgrades, I might be tempted.

It's not going to be the much requested Apple Tablet but it sure as hell isn't going to be a "big iPhone". People seem to forget there's a category called PDA, but since the iPhone is so fucking awesome I can't blame them. :D

However I'd rather have the fucking tablet. :mad:

WordAssassin said:
It's not going to be the much requested Apple Tablet but it sure as hell isn't going to be a "big iPhone". People seem to forget there's a category called PDA, but since the iPhone is so fucking awesome I can't blame them. :D

However I'd rather have the fucking tablet. :mad:

The problem is that the strictly PDA market is dying. Well, it's actually all but dead. People want a convergence device that does PDA stuff and is a phone as well. Hardly anyone buys just a PDA any more.

But yeah, your point is a very valid one. If the device actually does exist, and I'm not convinced yet that it does, what does it do differently from the iPhone, other than just be bigger? The handwriting recognition rumor from last week adds an interesting spin, but I really need to see where they are headed with this thing.

v0yce

duderon said:
Here's the screen size for the new tablet/iPhone device. This is with an identical dpi, courtesy of the macrumors thread on the subject.

ipadsize.gif

If the new device is proportional to the iPhone it would be 6.75 x 3.6 inches. Kinda big for a pocket.

newton_vs_iphone-775978.jpg

Dilbert

Kung Fu Jedi said:
The problem is that the strictly PDA market is dying. Well, it's actually all but dead. People want a convergence device that does PDA stuff and is a phone as well. Hardly anyone buys just a PDA any more.

But yeah, your point is a very valid one. If the device actually does exist, and I'm not convinced yet that it does, what does it do differently from the iPhone, other than just be bigger? The handwriting recognition rumor from last week adds an interesting spin, but I really need to see where they are headed with this thing.
Well, if you think there is a real market for ultra-portable PCs (and I don't, but YMMV), then would you rather buy an ugly gimped EEE PC or an attractive, easy-to-use, larger variant of an iPhone?

Tobor

Kung Fu Jedi said:
Just a pure guess, but I'd say it would have to be in the $700-$800 range, any more and it's moving into laptop territory, any less and it might effect iPhone sales. Guess we'll have to wait and see though.

I'm pretty set against getting the 3G iPhone unless it introduces a number of other really nice features. 3G alone won't get me to bite, as I can wait for the third gen iPhone, but if it offers some other cool upgrades, I might be tempted.

To clarify, I won't be getting the 3G phone for the 3G. That's nice, but what I really want is 32GB storage. 8GB is just not going to be enough once the games and apps hit.

If the 3G is only 16GB, then I might not jump.

Nick

-jinx- said:
Well, if you think there is a real market for ultra-portable PCs (and I don't, but YMMV), then would you rather buy an ugly gimped EEE PC or an attractive, easy-to-use, larger variant of an iPhone?
A bit biased?

Tobor said:
To clarify, I won't be getting the 3G phone for the 3G. That's nice, but what I really want is 32GB storage. 8GB is just not going to be enough once the games and apps hit.

If the 3G is only 16GB, then I might not jump.

Yeah, storage will be a bigger issue for me as well. GPS added starts getting my attention, and an improved camera, while not necessary for me, at least gives me another bullet point for why it's worth the upgrade. 3G in, and of itself, isn't enough to get me to upgrade.

-jinx- said:

Ahh... but then we're moving away from a "PDA" altogether and into a new market. I was mainly responding to his PDA comment. But yeah, if this is going to be Apple's response to the EEE or other ultraportables, it'll be really interesting to see what it does. In the PDA world you're happy with the apps we'll be getting on the iPhone, in the ultraportable world you want it to run full blown apps like in your regular PC. Expectations start to change a bit I think. It'll be interesting to see if Apple does position this to be a UMPC competitor.

I forget what 1.1.2 brought to the table, but I'm pretty sure you're missing out on some nice new features in 1.1.3 like the "Find Me" cell tower triangulation thingy on the Maps. They also added the ability to send an SMS message to multiple people, a new Maps interface, the ability to add web apps to your home page, which is far nicer than I first thought. Probably a few things I'm forgetting.

Personally, I think the 1.1.3 update was the best one yet. I can't recall what 1.1.4 did other than fix a few bugs. That might have been the one that seemed to add caching to Safari as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom