• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Iran to ban US citizens in response to Trump's immigration order.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ishan

Does the iranian government ban people from leaving the country?
Iran is a whole issue . I had an Iranian friend who was on a us visa and had to leave to renew it but there was some stupid regulation when he couldn't enter Iran even tho he was a citizen . Luckily his french visa from his masters there was still valid so he went to France otherwise literally he was in a limbo of not being able to stay in the us or go back home ... He renewed his us visa in France .... I actually have to speak to him and see what his current visa status is . This order is already directly impacting another Iranian friend who was slated to shift to h1b this summer

This is so dumb on both sides. Since the director and cast of Iranian acadamy-nominated movie will not be let into US to attend the Oscars, this whole thing seems to be very stupid.
A very unprofessional decision, which shows Trump's weak management at the beginning days of presidency.

Oh noooooooooo, I can't do something that I've never wanted to do anyways.

Golly gee shucks, Iran. You really showed us.

this is completely besides the point, but sadly how most americans will probably think of it

regardless of your opinion on Iran, we should in no way, shape, or form be actively trying to worsen US international relations

theWB27

No, from an international law perspective it's a legit reaction. But I'm not surprised Iran is the first to react given the anti-american sentiment embedded especcially in the conservative government circles.

Your solution speaks as if things getting better is a guaranteed result after trump. Also as if things can't get worse before then.

So people see how bad it is in a week and struggle to see how it will be better anytime soon.

You speak of certainty in uncertain times.

tuxfool

Banned
This is so dumb on both sides. Since the director and cast of Iranian acadamy-nominated movie will not be let into US to attend the Oscars, this whole thing seems to be very stupid.
A very unprofessional decision, which shows Trump's weak management at the beginning days of presidency.

Unprofessional?

Dalibor68

Banned
Your solution speaks as if things getting better is a guaranteed result after trump. Also as if things can't get worse before then.

So people see how bad it is in a week and struggle to see how it will be better anytime soon.

You speak of certainty in uncertain times.

If a Trump 2.0 is elected after Trump then I don't know anymore.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Just for reference....has anything like this happened before? Are Americans currently banned from any country and I just never heard about it?

I don't think there's been a blanket ban on Americans recently. Before this, North Korea was probably the most difficult country for Americans to enter, but still possible without breaking the law.

this is completely besides the point, but sadly how most americans will probably think of it

This. I think the majority of Americans would simply not care that Iran won't allow us in their country, and insultingly think "we didn't want to go to that piece of shit country anyway." Because obviously, all Muslim countries are pieces of shit.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard

Your callousness is disgusting. Did you ever stop to think that there are people who-

You know what? No. Of course you didn't think. Otherwise you wouldn't have posted like a halfbrained fucking asshole.

This. I think the majority of Americans would simply not care that Iran won't allow us in their country, and insultingly think "we didn't want to go to that piece of shit country anyway." Because obviously, all Muslim countries are pieces of shit.

I uh..i actually got into a facebook thread about it lmfao

I don't think Iran banning U.S. Citizens is going to be an issue.
Me: It's just one country. Until its another. and then 3 more. And then 10. And then all of them. Remember this moment as the first step in you losing the ability to travel. Your freedom.
Someone else: Who cares the US has plenty of beautiful places to visit
Me: Pretend for a moment that Donald Trump banned anyone from Pennsylvania, Iowa, NY and Kentucky from traveling over state lines. In response, PA banned anyone from coming into their state.

This is exactly whats happening. Have family? Too bad, you probably wont see them again.

I hope your lack of empathy doesn't prevent you from understanding irony.

I..i actually enjoy getting into discussions now. What even

jett

D-Member
Man. It doesn't feel like it's only been a week.

Gotta give it to Trump, he's really efficient at making the world go to shit.

50~100 years from now, I wonder what will history books say, if we still got those, about the real catalyst for this sequence of events. Is it 9/11 that irreparably set the US (and the world, apparently) on the path to ruin?

I uh..i actually got into a facebook thread about it lmfao

I don't think Iran banning U.S. Citizens is going to be an issue.
Me: It's just one country. Until its another. and then 3 more. And then 10. And then all of them. Remember this moment as the first step in you losing the ability to travel. Your freedom.
Someone else: Who cares the US has plenty of beautiful places to visit
Me: Pretend for a moment that Donald Trump banned anyone from Pennsylvania, Iowa, NY and Kentucky from traveling over state lines. In response, PA banned anyone from coming into their state.

This is exactly whats happening. Have family? Too bad, you probably wont see them again.

I hope your lack of empathy doesn't prevent you from understanding irony.

I..i actually enjoy getting into discussions now. What even

The OP proposition assumes the US remains a cool country to live in. What if you wanted to get OUT?

No I have half a dozen pints of moretti issues lol.

Woo hilarious huh? yeah buddy

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Wow it sure does feel like a massive war is right around the corner, doesn't it.

Seeing as Trump's national security adviser is Michael Flynn, it'd be a surprise if we're not on the path to war with Iran.

Biske

How is this anything other than an absolute shit show? Even if you believe in fascism seems like:

https://twitter.com/RosaCTV/status/825440732500619266

canada.png

Kind of jacks up everything and makes it a pain in the ass for just about every country.

Maztorre

Gotta give it to Trump, he's really efficient at making the world go to shit.

50~100 years from now, I wonder what will history books say, if we still got those, about the real catalyst for this sequence of events. Is it 9/11 that irreparably set the US (and the world, apparently) on the path to ruin?

The rise of Trump has little to do with 9/11. What's happening now is the result of over 30 years of dismantling post-WWII social democracy.

What 9/11, and now this ban on only certain "Muslim" countries, shows is that there are certain Middle Eastern countries that are specific targets for Republican aggression, and certain countries that are untouchable.

Victarion

There are more than 1 million Iranians living in the US, including students who have spent a shit ton of money on American universities in hope of a better future, and political refugees, who are now all basically left in limbo.

And then you have shit posts like these, which I dare say more than half of US agree with. I'm so fuckin disappointed.

Chaos17

While of course it sucks, that's also an exaggeration because there is no way this ban will stay up for the rest of her life. In the meantime a work-around over this shitty situation might be to meet in a third country, if money and health allows. NO, that is obviously not a SOLUTION, but as long as this shitty ban is upheld might as well make the best of the situation (aside from legally challenging and protesting it as well).

Imagine that you've to travel for an emergency (funeral, accident, etc) and you can't go see your loved ones because of a stupid ban ?
A ban that won't help solve anything, that won't bring money, that won't bring man power or anything that will improve the economy.

Ah so it's an inconvenience at best. "Don't worry mom and pop, just go to Mumbai and I'll come there. It will be like a mini-vacation". Is that what's in that head of yours?

Luckily, India will never get put on the list.

There are Trump Towers being built there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom