• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is anyone else waiting for Japanese Nintendo Switch preorders?

Dremorak

Banned
If I can manage to snag one it will be a saving of $150nzd ($107USD) because New Zealand gets no love from nintendo :(

Anywho, who else is planning on ordering one from Japan? What store are you planning on using? And more importantly, when do they go live?? By my estimate should be in around 6 hours time?

Sakura

If I can manage to snag one it will be a saving of $150nzd ($107USD) because New Zealand gets no love from nintendo :(

Anywho, who else is planning on ordering one from Japan? What store are you planning on using? And more importantly, when do they go live?? By my estimate should be in around 6 hours time?

Do Amazon and such actually ship the consoles? I know they sell games over seas. Wouldn't you have to get it from a reseller, which would likely be marked up?

I am not pre ordering, but I will be getting one there in Japan. I am visiting Japan in April so I'll go and pick one up for around 240€, which is much better than paying 340€ for it here in Finland. So 100€ cheaper, which is not bad at all. I can use that extra money for another pair of joycons. I hope that in April there is still stock so I can just go to a Yodobashi and buy it.

alt27

If they do ship internationally thats a bad decision. Pre orders should be limited to country of origin only.

Dremorak

Banned
Maybe nintendo should adjust their pricing lol. Then I wouldnt have to resort to such measures. Its even more expensive here in New Zealand than Australia.

It costs almost as much as a ps4 pro, easily more than a standard ps4 not on sale. I bought a ps4 for 150NZD less than a switch a few months ago and it included 2 games. It just makes no sense.

Madao

I disagree, it's not bad logic at all. It protects consumers native to said country to be able to pre-order without worry that foreigners will come and snatch their supply up.

how about the company doesn't screw over these foreigners first and then worry about stock for the locals?

price should be the same or really close everywhere after currency conversion. this BS where some contries have like $100 more than japan in price is not the consumer's fault.

for example, in my country the Switch is a whopping $80 more expensive than in USA and $120 more than japan. i have an Amazon preorder but if i can get a better deal from japan, i'll take it, especially now that the thing is region free.

Smax

I disagree, it's not bad logic at all. It protects consumers native to said country to be able to pre-order without worry that foreigners will come and snatch their supply up.
Yes, because pre-ordering game consoles from other countries is such a widespread phenomenon it actually causes domestic distribution problems...

PSFan

Agreed. Look what happened with Amiibo shortages. Many in the US were importing from Japan and EU when they couldn't be found here. And that just made the shortages worse for those regions.

StayDead

Thankfully I can use my Japanese Nintendo account on a UK Switch, so not me this time.

I'll buy my games digitally I think.

Also, being able to preorder internationally is incredibly important. Feel for the people in countries who don't get native launches right away. Are you saying they don't deserve to be able to play the new console?

Japan are getting the HW discount because they want it do huge out the gate there. If you want that JP preorder grab it quick.

jobrro

Yes but currently living in Tokyo. Amazon JP is amazing so will try with them. Will try for a preorder, but might cancel it and wait for a later bundle. Not sold on the launch line up besides Zelda (already have a Wii U) and don't really need it until Mario. But it is new hardware and I want it.

alt27

Maybe nintendo should adjust their pricing lol. Then I wouldnt have to resort to such measures. Its even more expensive here in New Zealand than Australia.

It costs almost as much as a ps4 pro, easily more than a standard ps4 not on sale. I bought a ps4 for 150NZD less than a switch a few months ago and it included 2 games. It just makes no sense.

With all the taxes and shipping you will pay, it will barely be cheaper

kiri

I'll just get my flight attendant friend to pick one up whilst visiting Japan and save me a bundle on charges!

Sarcasm

I can buy JP electronics locally for much cheaper than I can other regions.

Nintendo pretty much ignores here too, but most read/know Japanese here (Even a cross over language).

KtSlime

how about the company doesn't screw over these foreigners first and then worry about stock for the locals?

price should be the same or really close everywhere after currency conversion. this BS where some contries have like $100 more than japan in price is not the consumer's fault.

for example, in my country the Switch is a whopping $80 more expensive than in USA and $120 more than japan. i have an Amazon preorder but if i can get a better deal from japan, i'll take it, especially now that the thing is region free.

Are you sure you aren't just ignoring VAT included in the price? It is calculated separately in the US and Japan. Besides, the price isn't that different, the yen is just kind of weak in exchange at the moment.

I still can't buy a famicom mini, I wonder how many sold to people outside Japan.

kubus

Going to line up at 7 AM in front of Geo tomorrow to hopefully get a pre-order in. I hear Amazon will probably blow up as soon as pre-orders go live (nobody knows when exactly btw) so the chance you can get one from there is very slim.

Will also try the My Nintendo Store on Monday and if I manage to get a pre-order there, cancel at Geo.

If you're going to import from Japan, I do hope it's really financially worth it for you after taxes, forwarding costs etc, because I'd be pretty pissed if I missed out on a pre-order because foreigners are eating up the stock :p.

Wonder how much you'll actually save after sales taxes, shipping costs and import tariffs.

you don't actually, taking example that "£211 is certainly more appealing than £270" post, even ignoring shipping cost, 211 * 1.2 = 269 already, and that's w/o courier service charge for "we handled the tax thingy on behalf of you". include shipping cost? way higher + way slower
of course this is ignoring the fact that you might use service that allows you to modify invoice statement

jengo

PSA for those visiting and picking one up after release, most big electronics chains (Bic, Yodobashi, etc) will deduct the sales tax if you show your tourist visa.

Porcile

Is there a genuine reason to queue up at BIC and Yodobashi or is it just for the lolz?

If I can't just walk into a shop later today and pre-order then fuck that. I won't even bother at all and just save my money.

I'm waiting on US preorders, myself.

Lol. But someone on gaf already offered you one of their extra orders already. If you really want one you could preorder the blue/reds joy cons from gamestop and trade the ones with the console. Yeah you may come a few bucks short other than ordering directly but would get the console at launch.

KtSlime

Is there a genuine reason to queue up at BIC and Yodobashi or is it just for the lolz?

If I can't just walk into a shop later today and pre-order then fuck that. I won't even bother at all and just save my money.

That is what I tried to do with the Famicom mini, and I still can't get one. I thought I could just stroll in and order one in the afternoon. Nope, and I've been kicking myself since.

genuine reason? of course they don't want to miss the preorder slot. who knows if it's limited amount, that's why they queueing early.

Porcile

That is what I tried to do with the Famicom mini, and I still can't get one. I thought I could just stroll in and order one in the afternoon. Nope, and I've been kicking myself since.

I got the Famicom Mini without any trouble in the afternoon. I went to Yodobashi and paid for it all up front. I have a local shop I can try too.

mujun

I've got about 10 sites open. I live in Japan so I could go to a shop but would much prefer to order online. Fingers crossed Amazon's pre-order goes up at 9.

Top Bottom