• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is GAF too strict?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big-E

I kinda wish mods would be more direct in their approaches to certain things instead of letting issues boil over then swooping in after the fact

but no. not too strict at all. i like this forum

I think a ban list would do a lot to relieve that. A lot of bans seem to be a crap shoot as to why they occurred and it makes people a little jittery I guess. I would really like to hear the argument against this.

Awesome

Banned
Everything is fine except for the people that start quoting a bannable post over and over and start saying " What the f ". What also kind of doesn't make sense is people insult other users like it's no problem saying " You are an idiot or go f yourself " but get offended when you say something that isn't against the TOS but they don't agree with it.

Other than that, this site is pretty great, some people have to stop being hostile though.

Absolutely not.

This site's moderation is a breath of fresh air compared to the junior high shenanigans that go on on other sites.

Anything to discourage shit-posting is a-OK with me.

DTKT

It's probably why I love GAF so much. You can actually discuss issues and stuff doesn't always degenerate into feces. Most of the time...

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
titty fuck shit balls fuck fuck shitty tit fuck

nah

i'm sure there's been bad calls in the past as far as bans go but nobody's perfect. i'm glad outright flaming isn't tolerated.

GAF is anything but strict. You got straight up racists and trolls galores running around here. It's like the wild west of forums.

That said, I like hanging out here.

GrizzNKev

Banned
I think it is sometimes. In a lot of threads, you just know that a lot of people aren't posting their opinions because they don't want to get baited or banned. So you end up with a lot of circle jerking and a false sense of the overall value system of the forum.

Yep. On some topics you're not allowed to have an opinion, no matter how valid. It's pretty rare but it happens. I do my best to avoid those topics.

KillGore

I also find funny how there are moments where a ton of gaffers start quoting the person they want to get banned, that way they're easily seen. It's like calling out someone lol

I once saw a whole page (almost 50 replies) with the same quote

tirminyl

Outside of the ridiculous wait times to post (took over 3 years for my account to be approved for me to post) I think it is just about right. Of course, there are rules I am not aware are rules, I don't worry as I don't try to use the meme of the week or add unnecessary posts to a discussion.

Gaf is my second home and had overtaken everyother forum I am on. I actually wish some of them were run more strict like Gaf so they don't become cesspools.

Van Owen

Banned
The "cunt" rule is stupid.

Indeed.

I wish some things werent bannable when they're clearly in the interest of humor because certain members might be offended. I also wish nudity and pot talk were allowed, but whatever. I don't expect it to change.

GAF really isn't that strict. The frequency of bans is overstated and from what I've read very very few bans are permanent.

This isn't even the strictest forum I've been a member of. That likely owes a lot to the policies governing the off-topic forum and the high churn rate. Some forums will ban you at the slightest hint of going off-topic or repeating questions that were answered months ago. "over there" folks get banned with 'hey use the search next time instead of making a thread.'

GAF's moderators are weird.

They are (mostly) professional to the point I half expect them to put one their resumes

Moderator- NeoGAF
- Settle disputes and maintain order on forum populated by 65,000+ people.

Kraftwerk

Other forums mad because we stylin on em.

Oh you mad cuz I'm stylin on you?!?!?!?

Styling 'n Profilin;

HappyFeet.gif

UrbanRats

Having to watch what you say is not necessarily a bad thing.
That said, during my few years here, there were a few bans that made me go "what? A ban for that?", but overall i'm fine with how things work here and i like the staff in general, pretty reasonable people.
Also it's not bloated with crap and useless features, though i miss animated avatars.

The only real taboo arguments i can think of are probably drugs and piracy (to an extent), where there seem to be a policy of don't ask don't tell.
But even then, it's not as bad as other forums i've been to.
Also weird that you can't post pictures showing nipples, since the members are supposed to be all above 13, but different cultures i guess.

Not particularly.

It's a great place to share ideas. That's why I loves me some OT. I just don't step on some minefields that might get me banned.

Awesome

Banned
I also find funny how there are moments where a ton of gaffers start quoting the person they want to get banned, that way they're easily seen. It's like calling out someone lol

I laugh hard when that happens, yes we know what the guy said is horrible but stop quoting the thing and making it obvious that you are trying to get the guy banned faster.

Fari

You can typically avoid being banned if you stay away from controversial topics, don't say anything unflattering about minority groups and refrain from using the forbidden words.

Mumei

breaking bad thread is filled with that...I guess it depends on context.

Correct.

And we really don't ban for that long in most instances, when talking about Members. It usually takes something pretty either pretty egregious or multiple offenses (and usually for the same thing) to start getting longer bans, let alone perms. I think people just see "Banned" and assume the worst no matter how many times people come back - and they do in the vast, vast majority of cases. People just seem to fail to recognize that the guy they saw banned a week or two ago is back and don't even remember him being banned in the first place, except when that person is a member of a sub-community they also belong to.

Meanwhile the strictness against Juniors tends to weed out the ones who cannot manage to stay away from the line for a measly three months and three hundred posts. I don't think that's really that much to ask them to be able to accomplish in order to demonstrate they deserve tenure member status.

titty fuck shit balls fuck fuck shitty tit fuck

nah

i'm sure there's been bad calls in the past as far as bans go but nobody's perfect. i'm glad outright flaming isn't tolerated.

edit: found it
bishdoglole7jge.gif

There is a version with a known GAF mod face. A thousand internets to the one who has a link to it.

To the OP, I think GAF is great as it is. You just have to accept you can't be a jackass 98% of the time.

I like the strictness too, the only ban i've seen that i thought was genuinely unfair was last week in the last guardian thread.

EDIT: Just saw they were unbanned.

8byte

Banned
I never felt it was too strict, though I never understood why people are sometimes perma-banned for being hyper fanboys over on the gaming side.

Then again, I don't really follow posters like mods, so I guess it's not easy to see how bad those people really are.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I don't find GAF unfairly strict. If anything, as evidenced by comments in this thread, many feel the mods let certain kinds of stupidity (in their view) run on for too long without stepping in.

The truth is that people are always the heroes of their own story, and people who get banned are going to be apt to cry foul, and in a lot of cases run off to trash GAF for being Net Nazis.

That's human nature. You could have the loosest forum in the world, full of the worst garbage, and if one guy finally went too far and got banned he would run about saying how that place was full of censorship and moderator abuse.

That said I could understand how some folks might feel it was unfair if they got caught blindsided by a community trend they didn't understand had become ban-worthy.

KevinCow

Banned
I think GAF isn't strict enough about some things.

I think excessively poor grammar without the excuse of English being a second language should be bannable, for example.

Rpgmonkey

Not really, no.

Everything is fine except for the people that start quoting a bannable post over and over and start saying " What the f ".

Now this stuff is what bothers me.

It's more about forum behavior (and the large number of people reading/posting at once) than strictness I guess, but I do find it a little annoying when people do it.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I think GAF isn't strict enough about some things.

I think excessively poor grammar without the excuse of English being a second language should be bannable, for example.

If this is serious, I can't see how that's reasonable. It's also borderline unenforceable because anyone warned about 'grammar' could just claim English their second language.

Amikami

Banned
Gaf seems fine. The rules keep things from getting chaotic and uninviting. Gaf Mods are what keep this place so nice if you ask me. Wish there were more forums run this way.

I don't understand the issue about the waitlist to become a member though. Do Gaf mods or someone go through a list and manually join new members? Does it usually really take months? Don't get this waitlist issue at all :/.

jakncoke

Banned
No, but the "cunt" rule is stupid.

its not a bad rule, how it was implemented was fucking terrible. how ya going to let people say it for years than randomly start banning people without notice. whatever happened to psa..

/pours40forljandbuckethead

KillGore

Also 50 posts per page people, sick motherfuckers.

So hypothetically speaking.....what are the exact steps I would need to tell a new user on how to change this 50 post thing?

Yeah, first post nailed it. GAF is the only forum I can stand.

Yeah but I wish youtube links would show up as previews on the posts. Why does GAF mobile have this feature and not the site itself? weird.

DY_nasty

NeoGAF's official "was this shooting justified" consultant
I think a ban list would do a lot to relieve that. A lot of bans seem to be a crap shoot as to why they occurred and it makes people a little jittery I guess. I would really like to hear the argument against this.

Well, there are a lot of things... I'm really happy with the way things are done here, and the community in general, but my biggest criticism is and has always been how some threads get waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay out of hand and its seen coming from a mile away and instead of mods making their presence felt and laying out what is and what isn't going to be acceptable, you just see scorched earth 5 pages later and a whole lot of "wtfs" throughout that are never really addressed - which doesn't really allow a clear lesson to be learned from everyone looking on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom