• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is GAF too strict?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lothar

Banned
Gaf needs to be more strict against against garbage posting (such as making a post with less than 6 or 7 words in it) and meme posting but obviously less strict on limiting freedom of speech. If certain swear words are off-limits, come on, that's clearly bad.

More quality control, less political correctness.

whitehawk

Banned
I think GAF isn't strict enough about some things.

I think excessively poor grammar without the excuse of English being a second language should be bannable, for example.
Unless somebody talks like "oh mi god dis thred is rely cool, i hope it goz in2 teh archivs!", then I really don't mind proper grammar.

some lack of capitolization speling and punctuation doesnt bother me

If this is serious, I can't see how that's reasonable. It's also borderline unenforceable because anyone warned about 'grammar' could just claim English their second language.

In before people try to get others banned for bad grammar too and you get arguments over and along with commas. Fuck it would be a nightmare. Self-appointed grammar police are annoying enough as it is.

Amikami

Banned
Also 50 posts per page people, sick motherfuckers.

What's the big deal about 50 post per page anyway? All you gotta do is click "next page." It seems like a big deal for a lot of gaf members. By default, my profile is set to display 50. never cared enough to change it to 100.

You UrbanRats, Right now. Convince me to go change over to 100 per page.

UrbanRats

So hypothetically speaking.....what are the exact steps I would need to tell a new user on how to change this 50 post thing?

Yeah but I wish youtube links would show up as previews on the posts. Why does GAF mobile have this feature and not the site itself? weird.

1) User CP --> Edit Options --> Thread Display Options --> Show 100 posts per page.

2) Search Greesemonkey script "Youtube me AGAIN!".

What's the big deal about 50 post per page anyway? All you gotta do is click "next page." It seems like a big deal for a lot of gaf members. By default, my profile is set to display 50. never cared enough to change it to 100.

You UrbanRats, Right now. Convince me to go change over to 100 per page.
Click "next page" half the time, save on mouse clicks, in 10 years save on over X amount of mice.

50ppp is awesome. Sue me.
So the problem starts at the very top of the food chain!

I like it the way it is. In fact, it's the first message board I've really thought about posting in regularly (after scoping it out for a while), and it's entirely because of the rules.

goldenpp72

I think it is, it's my favorite forum to post and view by far (actually it's the only one I view at this point) but I do feel the rules are too strict. Gaf is very politically correct, and while I am 100 percent for equal treatment, I feel the rules go a bit too far to basically outlaw a portion of society that means no real harm.

Basically, you need to walk around eggshells a lot and if you're unable to post in a way that couldn't possibly offend anyone, then you will probably be banned. I usually don't want to say anything that would get me banned anyways, but my last (and one of my only) bans were imo entirely unjustified and based on very one sided logic, with no right to appeal or explain intent.

Of course, gaf also has this fun feed X user to the lions mentality where it will suddenly turn on a user only because they want to see them banned, which probably aids a bit to people being very PC in general. If there was one thing I wish gaf had, it would be an appeal system to bans to at least let other moderators and admins review the ban and allow a broader consensus to determine if a ban (or perma ban) was actually really needed, perhaps with an option for a more severe sentence if the ban was considered needed in order to sway people from using it when not needed. Gaf isn't a business of course, so I understand the administration doesn't owe the user anything in the end, but fostering a fair and balanced community is best I feel.

Still, it's hard to say if being too strict is that bad, when you look at sites like YouTube or GameFAQs that turn into cess pools of racist, homophobic assholes, it's easy to see how being too lax can be a lot worse.

Gaf needs to be more strict against against garbage posting (such as making a post with less than 6 or 7 words in it) and meme posting but obviously less strict on limiting freedom of speech. If certain swear words are off-limits, come on, that's clearly bad.

yeah no one can make a point with fewer than 50 words

Alucrid

Banned

yeah, how can i express my opinion without the use of derogatory language?

Brevity.

Kaizer

Banned
Moderation can be inconsistent at times, but no. The strictness is why I prefer it over other forums.

Agreed, say what you want about Gaffers in general, but I like the overall more "focused" vibe that NeoGAF has. It was the main reason I stopped posting on IGN years ago and signed up here as soon as I could.

Trickster

I feel there's a bit too much political correctness in regards to certain subjects and terminology. But other than that, I'm very happy with how gaf is currently.

reggie

Banned
Maybe not strict is the right word....... consistent? I don't think the mods are very consistent across the board. Hard to tell where the line is sometimes. I guess this is hard to avoid with multiple moderators coming from different backgrounds, but still, would be good to see a bit more consistency.

But hey, I'm not complaining, haven't been banned yet. My mate did though, for what I'm still not sure as to why. Only got permabanned because he was a Junior anyway... and that's another thing, he had been a member a lot longer than me (+2 years) with no problems and wasn't far from the 300 post mark and only got permabanned because of his Junior status. Didn't seem very fair... I like the general idea that if you're a shit Junior poster you're not going to last very long, but it would be good if the mods also took to consideration their tenure and previous posts. I don't think it should be a catch all.

goldenpp72

restriction on certain language doesn't restrict one's ability to express their opinion

But why restrict the language? Should we ban people who are religious? Or atheist? How about people who like football more than hockey?

Some people like to swear, some don't, I don't think censoring is really the best way to go. I don't need to swear to make a point, but for many it's just part of the natural flow for speaking, they can become dominant words and it's not easy to break them for everyone, and really, why should they?

Everyone gets offended by everything, but enough people make a stink about it and it becomes a law.

Mumei

Nah, I really strongly disliked animated avatars. They were such a distraction, and most were annoying to begin with on top of that.

gIKKu.gif

Gaborn

I feel there's a bit too much political correctness in regards to certain subjects and terminology. But other than that, I'm very happy with how gaf is currently.

I feel like a lot of GAFers are dancing around issues without saying exactly what their objection is. At least Dr. Eggman said outright he disagreed with the ban on "cunt" if some GAFer has a problem with another topic it'd be nice to hear what it is rather than all these obfuscations.

goldenpp72

I feel like a lot of GAFers are dancing around issues without saying exactly what their objection is. At least Dr. Eggman said outright he disagreed with the ban on "cunt" if some GAFer has a problem with another topic it'd be nice to hear what it is rather than all these obfuscations.

Depending on the subject, that could lead to a ban. Users have to be afraid to speak freely :p

Trickster

I want to see the shit forums you all came from that you prefer and idolize the moderation here so greatly.

Well, just to compare. Teamliquid.net, which according to the people that post there is one of the best moderated and most strict forums out there. Hardly, if ever perma ban people, I've seen people post some of the most vile shit ever, and get nothing but a warning or 2 day ban.

Then you have stuff like gamefaqs that's also like a cesspool or terrible posts.

Liberty4all

Banned
I want to see the shit forums you all came from that you prefer and idolize the moderation here so greatly.

Penny Arcade G&T/Debate and Discourse I find to be on par with GAF although i started coming to GAF more often a couple years ago. Both sites offer great moderation.

Lothar

Banned
yeah no one can make a point with fewer than 50 words

So you like scrolling through shit post after shit post of "No", "Nope", "Jesus" on every page. Why would anyone care if someone just says "No" or "Jesus" without any reasons? It's like you have to dig through a mountain of trash sometimes to find a few posts per page worth reading.

It's beyond stupid that no bannings come from these white noise types of posts but if you make a great point in one post and call someone a cunt or bitch, there's a chance you may get banned.

Alucrid

Banned
But why restrict the language? Should we ban people who are religious? Or atheist? How about people who like football more than hockey?

Some people like to swear, some don't, I don't think censoring is really the best way to go. I don't need to swear to make a point, but for many it's just part of the natural flow for speaking, they can become dominant words and it's not easy to break them for everyone, and really, why should they?

Everyone gets offended by everything, but enough people make a stink about it and it becomes a law.

because it's the rules of the forums. if people lack the ability to filter their posts of vitriolic language then don't post

So you like scrolling through shit post after shit post of "No", "Nope", "Jesus" on every page. Why would anyone care if someone just says "No" or "Jesus" without any reasons? It's like you have to dig through a mountain of trash sometimes to find a few posts per page worth reading.

It's beyond stupid that no bannings come from these white noise types of posts but if you make a great point in one post and call someone a cunt or bitch, there's a chance you may get banned.

so posting "no" is trash but posting "bitch" is ingenious?

pigeon

Banned

I don't actually post on the WoW officials, or read them, but I always know they're there to remind us of what happens when we go down that road.

Gaborn

Depending on the subject, that could lead to a ban. Users have to be afraid to speak freely :p

I'm pretty sure the mods aren't going to ban posters for saying they have a problem with a moderation policy, just like they wouldn't ban a poster for using "nigger" in the context of a post condemning racist terminology. This is informational about a problem people have.

KevinCow

Banned
You also think tildes should be bannable~

Damn straight.

If this is serious, I can't see how that's reasonable. It's also borderline unenforceable because anyone warned about 'grammar' could just claim English their second language.

Something Awful does it just fine. I think the difference between a poster who's struggling with a language barrier but genuinely trying and a poster who just doesn't give a shit and has no respect for the English language is usually perfectly clear.

Someone makes a few strange word choices, structures some sentences in weird ways? English is probably a second language.

Someone types like he's in an early '00s chat room? Throws out excessive lols and omgs and emoticons, uses ellipses instead of commas, abbreviates short words like u and r and ne1, and unironically ends sentences with tildes? Clearly he needs a kick in the ass to start typing like an intelligent human being.

Kabouter

If there was one thing I wish gaf had, it would be an appeal system to bans to at least let other moderators and admins review the ban and allow a broader consensus to determine if a ban (or perma ban) was actually really needed, perhaps with an option for a more severe sentence if the ban was considered needed in order to sway people from using it when not needed. Gaf isn't a business of course, so I understand the administration doesn't owe the user anything in the end, but fostering a fair and balanced community is best I feel.

Bans are peer reviewed already, they don't need to be appealed to be viewed by other moderators/admins.

So the problem starts at the very top of the food chain!

Actually, it does, I'm pretty sure Evil browses at 50ppp too :D

Precisely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom