• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is GAF too strict?

Status
Not open for further replies.

thefit

Its one of the most tolerant forums ever because of the rules. There was a time when trolling and hating were rampant and it made the place just another gaming forum to go take a shit in. I don't thing gaf would have lasted this long if it weren't its ever evolving rules. Its as simple as you don't like it go going opa ages or something.

goldenpp72

That's understandable man. Wouldn't want to catch you in a bad way. People have been getting banned in some threads almost like banning is a communicable disease anyway. Like herpes, ya know?

Indeed, I think you know exactly what i'm talking about then. In that context, emotional trauma and physical trauma were the point I intended to make. I asked a poll of people about the subject just to see if I was being unfair, and when I was able to explain in some detail, most thought it was a fair stance. The problem is, if the situation is personal to you, it becomes impossible to make it fair sounding.

The fact is though, I've donated money to human rights campaigns for gay/transexual rights, am in no way racist or bigoted, and generally think i'm a pretty fair person on most levels, but that doesn't mean I don't think those same groups can do no wrong, and feel at times, both sides do screwed up things. Example being people who heckle and give Chik Fil A employees shit and call them gay hating extremist assholes, when in reality they probably don't have anything against them and just want to make a living.

Some people hate Chick Fil A now for their stance, and I agree with them, but you should direct the hate specifically at the person causing the problem and not the average joe who just holds a minimum wage job. There are idiots on every side, even the ones that are being screwed by unfair systems, I'm the person who tries to see the fair side for both ends.

That isn't the point of this topic though, that situation ended and can't be changed, but it's not reflective of my opinions or views as a person regardless of how cheeky you try to be. In general, I do feel gaf is pretty fair, but at times you just see bans happen and just can't help but wonder why (and these bans have been noted as unfair even by mods at times, usually resulting in some mod losing their power), so it's not a perfect system.

KillGore

I know right? high-five!

You have a tag, you're one of the beautiful people, the chosen few who are touched by god. I would love to high five you but I can't, your presence is known by the higher beings. May god have mercy on your soul.

*high fives*

Yes, it's much too strict. It feels like I'm walking on eggshells in here half the time.

It just seems to me that if you are a popular poster, inevitably you will be permabanned.

What? It seems to me that popular posters can get away with way more shit than the average poster and never get permabanned.

You have a tag, you're one of the beautiful people, the chosen few who are touched by god. I would love to high five you but I can't, your presence is known by the higher beings. May god have mercy on your soul.

*high fives*

what where did that come from? oh man.. im already being watched..

Alucrid

Banned
Indeed, I think you know exactly what i'm talking about then. In that context, emotional trauma and physical trauma were the point I intended to make. I asked a poll of people about the subject just to see if I was being unfair, and when I was able to explain in some detail, most thought it was a fair stance. The problem is, if the situation is personal to you, it becomes impossible to make it fair sounding.

The fact is though, I've donated money to human rights campaigns for gay/transexual rights, am in no way racist or bigoted, and generally think i'm a pretty fair person on most levels, but that doesn't mean I don't think those same groups can do no wrong, and feel at times, both sides do screwed up things. Example being people who heckle and give Chik Fil A employees shit and call them gay hating extremist assholes, when in reality they probably don't have anything against them and just want to make a living.

Some people hate Chick Fil A now for their stance, and I agree with them, but you should direct the hate specifically at the person causing the problem and not the average joe who just holds a minimum wage job. There are idiots on every side, even the ones that are being screwed by unfair systems, I'm the person who tries to see the fair side for both ends.

That isn't the point of this topic though, that situation ended and can't be changed, but it's not reflective of my opinions or views as a person regardless of how cheeky you try to be. In general, I do feel gaf is pretty fair, but at times you just see bans happen and just can't help but wonder why (and these bans have been noted as unfair even by mods at times, usually resulting in some mod losing their power), so it's not a perfect system.

Huh? The last demodded mods I can remember had nothing to do with conflicting opinions of bans. Who was demodded for that?

Gaborn

I think that situation though, bottom line, the actual post you made was COMPLETELY out of line, over the top and unacceptable. The "trauma" of the two circumstances? REALLY? On it's face that wasn't a smart comparison because it was going to be inherently inflammatory in a thread like that (although to be fair your comment wasn't nearly the worst in that thread).

and in fact, look at trans threads TODAY and back then. Even if you think you got a raw deal there (and I personally don't) it's WORTH it considering how much stronger and vibrant that trans community is here compared to other forums with less stringent protections. How many forums are TOTALLY devoid of TG, gay, or female posters simply because the environment doesn't protect and cultivate them? Is it possible some of the people caught in the net meant something else but it came out badly? I guess so but look at the results. It's absolutely worth it.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
I don't think GAF is really too strict beyond the fact that I think temp bans are probably too long, particularly when they're the result of violating obscure rules (i.e. some new meme is now banned).

BPRD

Banned
A LOT of amazing posters are gone forever which is sad, some why I kept reading in the first place since around 2004ish. Finally decided to make an account, and half a year later became activated. It is still a great forum compared to others. I just wish a lot of those people weren't permed because it does lose a little something. In my time lurking I did learn that it is a lot safer in OT than gaming so that is where I stay :)

I am only a junior so I don't have any say(and I am sure I would be lucky to make it to member.) I just think a long ban is better than a permanent ban, because those personalities are irreplaceable - unless they were banned for something like racism or something unacceptable, not just anything..

WX3

I am perfectly fine with the moderation on this forum. I have been a part of another group that was heavily modded, but there was such inconsistency in the job that favoritism was easily spotted. It's always been a relief to me that GAF is the way it is, and when I compare it to other forums I have been involved with I am happy that this space here is ran as such.

Gaborn

Did someone mention that this' a trap thread

swooooooooosshh

A lot of posters are acting like it, but I honestly don't see why. I mean, for example I know there is a segment of GAF that resents the ban on the word "faggot." I'm pretty sure saying so wouldn't result in a ban, whereas saying "I hate that faggot Gaborn" would because that would be attacking another poster with a slur, but that would be bannable in any thread. I can't think of any good reason to be afraid of posting an opinion in this thread.

goldenpp72

I think that situation though, bottom line, the actual post you made was COMPLETELY out of line, over the top and unacceptable. The "trauma" of the two circumstances? REALLY? On it's face that wasn't a smart comparison because it was going to be inherently inflammatory in a thread like that (although to be fair your comment wasn't nearly the worst in that thread).

and in fact, look at trans threads TODAY and back then. Even if you think you got a raw deal there (and I personally don't) it's WORTH it considering how much stronger and vibrant that trans community is here compared to other forums with less stringent protections. How many forums are TOTALLY devoid of TG, gay, or female posters simply because the environment doesn't protect and cultivate them? Is it possible some of the people caught in the net meant something else but it came out badly? I guess so but look at the results. It's absolutely worth it.

Those groups should be protected against hateful people who are intolerant bigots yes, that doesn't mean I agree with all of their point of views and at times, you are really not allowed to state your side without being banned regardless of if you post it in an offensive or civil way. Progression is nice, that doesn't mean it's always handled well. I have no real quarrels with the incident I was in because it's in the past and over with, however, I do think a lot of people do end up being taken out just because their view is not the PC one.

If you know me as a poster or in person, you'll know i'm one of the more fair people out there, but that means I try to be fair on both ends of the spectrum, not just one side. I might not always convey it correctly and I still have hurdles to cross as a human, or might just be in a bad mood like anyone else, but there are probably a lot of good quality posters that made a mistake or out of context remark that will never get to post again as well, we just don't know who (or I don't)

While some folks on GAF do seem to jump the gun with tossing around 'troll' accusations, by the same token there's a lot of exaggerated and trumped up claims about getting banned if you don't agree with the 'hive mind'. Which is malarkey. There are so many dissenting opinions in virtually every topic on GAF, that the popular opinion seems to go the other way: that there should be more warnings about 'shitting up' threads by disrupting them.

If you have an opinion you think dissents against a perceived majority - and that can be an illusion given how big GAF is - you generally do not get into trouble if you can articulate your opinion in a way that's considerate of others. Even if you feel really strongly and get fired up.

The zones of lowest tolerance for shenanigans on GAF seem to involve threads where basic human respect could be offended, such as the aforementioned issues of gender, LGBT, or ethnic topics. On the whole, those are areas important enough that erring on the side of strictness is probably appropriate. Especially considering what a cesspool the bulk of the internet on those topics.

I'm involved in a discussion in the George Zimmerman thread and I think the reactions have gotten a little out of hand. Like you said though, careful explanation of your points is necessary and perhaps I erred in this area. I will try to improve this aspect of my posting.

I have been considerate throughout though.

Gaborn

Those groups should be protected against hateful people who are intolerant bigots yes, that doesn't mean I agree with all of their point of views and at times, you are really not allowed to state your side without being banned regardless of if you post it in an offensive or civil way. Progression is nice, that doesn't mean it's always handled well. I have no real quarrels with the incident I was in because it's in the past and over with, however, I do think a lot of people do end up being taken out just because their view is not the PC one.

Can you give an example of this? Because there were many posters in that thread who managed to say they would be upset by it but NOT compare people to an STD and they weren't banned.

Lucius86

Banned
For signing up? I think it's perfect as it is.

However, the restrictions on using certain words is a pretty bad move IMO. This is the Internet after all, I saw gaf as a free-flowing mass discussion board with minimal moderating, called upon when it really did hit the fan. And I liked it. but now it feels like I always have big brother watching every word I type doesn't make the naughty list...

I think gaf has gone too strict in policing recently. But not for admission.

goldenpp72

Can you give an example of this? Because there were many posters in that thread who managed to say they would be upset by it but NOT compare people to an STD and they weren't banned.

I don't have a tracking on any topics or threads to make a tally for this sort of thing like you may, if anyone could find the injustice, it would probably be you rather than myself. If you think it never happens and the policy enforcement is entirely perfect, than i'm happy you feel as such and enjoy the rule set 100 percent, since I can't list a specific example regarding other posters I suppose that must mean it doesn't happen :p

I bet a lot of posters dragona took out would probably disagree about the perfect rule enforcement though, I also remember a mod locked a mega topic I made simply because I didn't include a platform I have little knowledge on (pc) despite the hours of work it took to create it, with no way to even try to reason about it. There was nothing there to bash or hate the platform, it was just designed to appeal to console users and that was unacceptable.

Anyways, so far this topic seems pretty civil so hopefully it stays that way, i'm off to bed so if I'm not responding to further replies it's not because I am ignoring anything.

It's like, man, we used to have some good times, Gaf. Remember Hank's party in '08? Yeah, that was wild. But then you took a few political science classes at the local community college, started dating Janet and, well, I don't know, you kind of changed, man.

Maybe one Saturday we could go grab a beer or something like the good old days.

Sye d'Burns

I don't have a tracking on any topics or threads to make a tally for this sort of thing like you may, if anyone could find the injustice, it would probably be you rather than myself. If you think it never happens and the policy enforcement is entirely perfect, than i'm happy you feel as such and enjoy the rule set 100 percent, since I can't list a specific example regarding other posters I suppose that must mean it doesn't happen :p

I bet a lot of posters dragona took out would probably disagree about the perfect rule enforcement though, I also remember a mod locked a mega topic I made simply because I didn't include a platform I have little knowledge on (pc) despite the hours of work it took to create it, with no way to even try to reason about it. There was nothing there to bash or hate the platform, it was just designed to appeal to console users and that was unacceptable.

For some reason, your post reminded me of this

LTTP: Europa Universalis III, just ignore this consolites, its too complicated

Forkball

Nope, it's strictness is a good quality of the forum. I do agree there are a few subjects that seem more arbitrarily "untouchable" that could easily trip up new users. Also because the mods are so strict, when something does happen that causes someone to be banned, it's more surprising and thus, hilarious.

Yes, it's much too strict. It feels like I'm walking on eggshells in here half the time.

What? It seems to me that popular posters can get away with way more shit than the average poster and never get permabanned.

Well, there's the legend of EatChildren. I believe he was banned and then reborn as a mod, a quite good one at that. It's like GAF's personal Jesus/salvation story.

I haven't been here that long, but I always wondered if the Google shit storm was really that big of a deal or if it was just a progression into a more mature moderation policy.

When I first started lurking, hot women-like threads weren't exactly common, but not exactly rare and locked within 10 posts. Then again, if I were a female member, I guess I wouldn't want to feel like GAF was like the tree house in middle school with the “no girls allowed” sign out front.
I mean right now there's a transgendered GAF OT thread (I think) whereas a few years ago “tranny” and “It's a trap” memes were still prevalent punchlines. Hell, even Bronies and furries (I think) have their own little niches on GAF.

Sure, things may have gotten more strict, but GAF feels like a much more inclusive rather than exclusive place compared to a few years ago.

Gaborn

Anyways, so far this topic seems pretty civil so hopefully it stays that way, i'm off to bed so if I'm not responding to further replies it's not because I am ignoring anything.

I'm not necessarily saying the rule enforcement is or has always been perfect. Like anyone I've disagreed with the mods here and there. I think though a lot of times if someone disagrees with a decision or thinks someone deserved a ban that didn't get whacked they would just shrug their shoulders and move on. What I've learned from my time on GAF is that the mods can only ban what they can see and they can't physically read every post on the forum. So I think a lot of people would be happier with the mods if they actually PM'ed them if they had an issue with something, or they think a mod missed something rather than treating the mods as omniscient.

lexi

Banned
what is the context of this Gaborn/goldenpp conversation?

I believe it's from a thread where goldenp may have compared dating transgender people to dating someone with an STD, and sorta kinda feels that it was an unjust ban.

Too strict when compared with the vast majority of forums on the internet.

It's pretty much has the right level of enforcement to allow people to speak while getting all the idiots and stupid people out.

gIKKu.gif

on a scale of 1-10 how much would every one of you hate me if i went back to this avatar

Sye d'Burns

It's as protected as any other belief on this forum.

- Racist / Bigoted humour or language. As per the Terms of Service, "you will not use NeoGAF to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise in violation of any law. Sexual, racial, or ethnic slurs will not be tolerated in any form and are bannable on the first offense." This includes racial or bigoted humour. We do not allow any slurs--including middle school language like "That's so gay!". This also includes racist comedy images, for example "Shoop da Woop" or "Stole My Bike". It also includes misogynistic, sexist, homophobic, or anti-transgendered remarks, jokes, or memes. Although we do allow some humour that offends, it's easily possible to cross the line and people are banned for particularly cruel and insensitive remarks all the time ("rape time" is one example--and I know the "nicole bass" meme was a big thing years ago, and no shortage of people have been banned in threads commenting on natural disasters).

Funny, religion seems to be missing.

It's hard to walk into a religion thread without stumbling over the 'child rapist priests' comments or others lumping all of Christianity in with Westboro Baptist church. I dare say bronies are more of a protected class on GAF. I'm not knocking it. It is what it is; let's not pretend it's something that it's clearly not.

Visceir

I feel there's a bit too much political correctness in regards to certain subjects and terminology. But other than that, I'm very happy with how gaf is currently.

Pretty much. Used to be fine before, these past months it has felt like I'm being parented around here.

Gaborn

Funny, religion seems to be missing.

It's hard to walk into a religion thread without stumbling over the 'child rapist priests' comments or others lumping all of Christianity in with Westboro Baptist church. I dare say bronies are more of a protected class on GAF. I'm not knocking it. It is what it is; let's not pretend it's something that it's clearly not.

and how many times did you PM a mod with a problematic post?

on a scale of 1-10 how much would every one of you hate me if i went back to this avatar
Depends on the length of the joke.

If you just popped into another thread with that on for a few minutes I'd think it was freaking hilarious.

I couldn't hate you though. I think it's physically impossible for me to hate anyone but the truly evil. Rapists and murderers basically. Everyone else can inspire some ire in me, but I've never actually been angry with anyone here. Vehemently disagree with them? Definitely.

But most of you are cool. Impetuous and prone to childish behavior? Duh, but who isn't?

I just wouldn't want the masses to get so pissed that we'd lose a good mod.

DJMicLuv

The cunt ban (or cunt-gate as the press are reporting it) confuses me a bit.

Which one of the following is ban-worthy?

Mr X is a cunt.
Mrs X is a cunt.
Mr/Mrs X acted like a total cunt in the pub last night.
Mr/Mrs X went out drinking last night and got absolutely cunted.
Stopping anyone using the word Edge in the title of their games is really cuntish.
Football Team X are a right bunch* of useless cunts.
Some cunt just spilled my pint.
Mr/Mrs X is my best friend, I fucking love the silly cunt.
Paid DLC is often a cunt's trick.
Forum X is full of nerds cunting off left, right & centre.

*The collective term for cunts is bunch, pack or stack.

If it's used as a verb or used to describe an action or an un-named person is it acceptable? Is it only frowned upon when used to describe a specific named person.

I'm a Brit, we use the word constantly even in an affectionate way. We're cunts like that.

vidcons

Banned
It must be weird to be so afraid of losing an account that you can't express your thoughts (within reason).

The biggest issue is most likely people who are funny being afraid of telling a joke because people who tell bad ones with no tact get eliminated.

on the other hand,~butts~

Gaborn

Assuming you're serious, Ill give you a serious answer: none. The tidal wave of problematic posts would crash the system. You are joking, right?

I was serious for the most part. My point was that if you have a problem with a post too many people assume that the mods are deliberately ignoring something rather than not seeing it because they're not reading that particular topic. I think you'll find that most of the mods are dedicated to the gaming side so they're not reading OT. And yet a ton of the problematic posting is DONE on the OT.

Arjen

Imho it's only to strict when it comes to certain language or slurs (bitch, cunt etc.)
But hey, it is what it is.

Zibrahim

Yes. I've been avoiding this place because it has become so strict.

I mean it's great that swears are allowed and all that. But you can troll about quantitative subjects and not get banned. But when it comes to qualitative or subjective topics, bans fly all over the place because one mod or another disagrees with you.

I got banned for bringing up the topic of cultural relativism in reference to terrorism and that was just the last straw. I occasionally post here and lurk. But this place is becoming more and more like a hivemind than a collection of individuals.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom